Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not even gonna give that article a click

The AR 15 is a phenomenal platform

Your house isn’t Nam

Get PSA uppers and lowers and spend your money on a BCG, Optic and a Light.

Save money, Save your life, save a horse ride a cowboy
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it possible that the author, as a 28 year green beret, saw the worst of the system in the worst of times and forged his opinion on anecdotal evidence?  Or is the author a shill for a competing firearm?
View Quote
My guess is he has experience using clapped out M4s and no one around him understood the concept of preventative maintenance (which is all too common with .mil).

Yeah, your shit isn’t going to function well when it’s missing a bolt lug or extractor spring.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
My old M4gery is still going strong with many thousands of rounds through it. Barrel was made in 1995 (6921). Has been on two M-16s over the years. It is currently setup with an old Bushmaster lower with (I think) Stag lower parts and an LMT selector (what I had lying around I guess). Darn thing won't stop.

Maybe eight years ago, a bunch of us decided to go a year of solid shooting without cleaning. We did drills almost every Friday night after work/school at a local outdoor range. We drilled in the rain, heat, cold. No natural stoppages. Only failures I ever had were induced to do failure drills. My only "failure" was that my Aimpoint M2 started blinking on me, so I switched to my BUIS and kept going.

That year of drills made me fall in love with the M4 configuration and acceptably high quality parts. Especially in semi, they just won't quit if you keep feeding them and keep them wet.

And while I believe the experiences of the range in Vegas are invaluable and should be studied, it is my opinion (you know what they say about those) that range guns receive a lot more abuse than personal guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tales from a 1980s gunstore counter!
View Quote
This.

The most popular rifle for the last decade or so is exactly the rifle a prepper would want.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The military also has taught people to improperly maintain their rifles for years. So, yeah.

No, the FA was developed because the Army wanted one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In the military we are taught that the AR-15 is a fine weapon “as long as you maintain it.”
The military also has taught people to improperly maintain their rifles for years. So, yeah.

Any number of things can cause the lugs not to pass efficiently through the star portion of the chamber: dirt, heat expansion, ice, wobbly bolt carrier or wear and tear. All can cause a bolt to seat incorrectly in the chamber, or not to extract after firing, causing a whole host of malfunctions.  This is one of the reasons the forward assist was developed.
No, the FA was developed because the Army wanted one.
The funny part is, the military definition of “maintain” in regards to the M4/M16/AR does nothing to increase longevity and reliability whereas the true definition of “maintain” when it comes to those topics (preventative maintenance and proper lubrication, which isn’t at all specific to this weapons platform) is pretty much non-existent.

Most of the institutional knowledge in the US .mil of how to keep a small arm up and running (which primarily consists of multi-hour cleaning sessions followed by “white glove” inspections) has pretty much zero bearing on how said weapon will actually function when in use.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That article is nearly copy pasta from THR or from Fred's M14 stocks circa 2004.

The arguments presented are absolutely RETARDED.

Pro Tip: the AKM series of rifles is absolutely garbage for keeping foreign objects/debris out of the action AND they really do jam up easily despite the rambling talking points of 1960's "mouse gun" arguments.
View Quote
This. All of this.

The AR is the ideal "prepper" weapon. It's inexpensive. It's easy to use. It's accurate enough. It's reliable enough. It can be play many rolls from clearing rooms to putting food on the table. It just works. If it doesn't work for some reason, then it's very easy to make work.

I have many examples of the AK and a single piston AR. I wouldn't choose any of them as a SHTF gun unless it was the only gun I had.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My guess is he has experience using clapped out M4s and no one around him understood the concept of preventative maintenance (which is all too common with .mil).
View Quote
bUt YoU hAvE tO uSe YoUr FiRiNg PiN tO cLeAn ThE cRoWn!

Possibly the dumbest thing I ever heard in regards to weapons maintenance.

Muh teeter-totter extractor!
Muh 90deg hammer!  (rofl)
Muh star chamber induced a wobble in muh BCG that resulted in me using muh forward assist to break a lug!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
It'll be easier to find spare parts with over 10 million units floating around than the few thousand Tavors or other non AR magazine fed rifles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Muh star chamber induced a wobble in muh BCG that resulted in me using muh forward assist to break a lug!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did he really say that about the FP?  I didn’t read the whole blog post as I had to wash out my eyes with bleach about halfway through.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Give me an old t-shirt and a crankcase full of used motor oil and I could keep an AR running until the rifling is shot out more often than not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why would you use a firearm in a SHTF situation that would be hard as hell to scrounge basic replacement parts for including magazines? The AR is probably the easiest rifle you'll ever find to scrounge parts for if you prepped and the SHTF plus the cheapest to stockpile a few parts for.
View Quote
This is why I have two. One for each of us.

The parts / ammo availability was a serious concern.

If you need to use it, be prepared to maintain it!

The same goes for vehicles. Either get one that will almost never go down or one that has a million or 20 million on the road and you can get replacement parts for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just curious, but how many spare parts do you think you will find laying around for that Tavor or SCAR?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.readyman.com/blogs/black-autumn/why-the-ar-15-sucks-for-preppers?fbclid=IwAR2QJhv47QmcWZ50tBdPfsaST8cJfBdbnMDprf46KqLdZVVoHbWabSst__U

What do you think of this statement by the above author?

I think some of it is true.
I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I’m not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I’m rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?

PS  it sure how to make the link above hot
Just curious, but how many spare parts do you think you will find laying around for that Tavor or SCAR?
or ammo or mags?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well OP, while I certainly like other rifles better than the AR, there are a ton of people here who fervently believe the AR is absolutely perfect.  They will be along shortly to say so...

ETA:  I wonder about the “spare parts” argument.  In 10’s of thousands of rounds, I’m trying to think of a single time I needed to replace a part that actually broke.
Battlefield Vegas has a schedule for AR parts replacement, but it starts at something like 5,000 rounds, which is a lifetime in SHTF.
Parts for most rifles can be pretty inexpensive, so you can have a small stock of parts before SHTF.

And no, I’m not wasting any time on the article.
View Quote
I agree with you over not needing a lot of replacement parts. Yet it was the general availability of them from the Military using them that got me to get one. I have others that I would prefer, Most definitely!

But if I am going to get into a longer term SHTF, better with something that a lot of people have than not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I lost it at his first argument. The whole idea of the high iron sights is to be able to keep the barrel in line with the stock, this makes the rifle much more controllabe while shooting. It has absolutely nothing to do with the buffer tube. That you don't find this anymore on modern AR-15's is just because everyone wants a scope/optic nowadays.

When you start an article with 'special forces blabla' and then continue with this high iron sights story, you completely lose my interest.
View Quote
Exactly. It's also the exact same reason the AK has raised sights, and the SCAR and so on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Apparently for SHTF purposes I need to invest in marine salvaging equipment for sunken boats.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well fuck, boys. There we have it right there.
View Quote
I would love to use a SKS, but after I used up my ammo, where would I get more?

Did the police and military switch when I wasn't looking?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did he really say that about the FP?  I didn't read the whole blog post as I had to wash out my eyes with bleach about halfway through.
View Quote
No, that was advice that I heard from a prior enlisted 1stLt when I was a butter bar.

Him: "Look at all that carbon!"

Me: "way to go. You just scratched the most important thing for accuracy with the thing that makes it go bang."

But since he's talking about making the locking lug recesses be "armory clean."

The only bitch I have about the chamber is that getting a popped primer out of there is difficult without tools.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the AR is not the best rifle there is. But it's cheap, easy, good enough, light, and ammo is OK. it's a compromise, and it's barbie for men. the best? no. good enough? you betcha
View Quote
Wrong. Out of every rifle developed in the past fifty years, the AR15 blows them all out of the water.

Light, accurate, simple, inexpensive, modular, reliable, easy to service, easy to use, and durable. (Just try to break a 20" M16. Round counts are insane. Shorter barrel variants have reduced parts life)

Newer designs like the ARX or Scar-16/Bren 2 come close, but none of them do everything as well as the AR15.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
More of the same ol BS written by someone who doesn’t have the slightest clue in regards to the mechanical action of how the gun operates and why malfunctions occur.

100% fucking derp.
View Quote
QFT. My LMT and BCMs are dead nuts reliable, and, I primarily shoot steel case.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would love to use a SKS, but after I used up my ammo, where would I get more?

Did the police and military switch when I wasn't looking?
View Quote
Think outside the box.  When you run out of ammo, just pick up another gun. There will be thousands of guns laying around with all the killing in SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
"There is no delay in the bolt moving during the extraction phase and this causes tremendous mechanical resistance. When the bolt carrier begins to move, it tries immediately to turn the bolt without first gaining momentum. If the bolt is stuck to the inside of the chamber due to fouling (or crap ammo like in Vietnam) then there is often not enough energy to knock the bolt back into rotation. There’s no “running start” to dislodge the bullet before turning the bolt. Almost all battle rifles, like the M14, M1 and AK use a delayed rotating bolt."

Who doesn't understand how the cam pin slot is cut?  THIS GUY!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#23]
The AR15 is an amazing reliable firearm if properly maintained. Ammo is abundant, magazines and spare parts are abundant in the US.

It is also the best multipurpose gun you will find for a prepper. A 16" carbine can handle targets from 0-600 yards, more than adequate for a SHTF situation. As one of the most popular sporting rifles you can rest assured that if you show up for militia fun time the vast majority of the people will be sporting AR15s as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#24]
No. The AR is the best SHTF weapon based on logistics alone. Any problem with an AR can be fixed at home with a basic tool kit. Parts and mags are ubiquitous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Further, for the same money, would you rather have yourself and your one basic Tavor or an AR for yourself and two buddies.
I know what I would pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.readyman.com/blogs/black-autumn/why-the-ar-15-sucks-for-preppers?fbclid=IwAR2QJhv47QmcWZ50tBdPfsaST8cJfBdbnMDprf46KqLdZVVoHbWabSst__U

I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I’m not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I’m rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?

That’s part of it.   Hopefully, it’s durable enough where o won’t need parts any time soon.  And If it’s that bad there should be plenty of guns to grab including tons of ARs.   This is for my go to weapon.  The weapon that won’t break down bec it’s fragile.
Further, for the same money, would you rather have yourself and your one basic Tavor or an AR for yourself and two buddies.
Money isn’t a restriction for me. I’d rather have 2 better weapons that cost more than 2 worse weapons that cost less
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would rather have a rifle that won't break down and ceramic plates and a bunch of ammo and mags for the same price as your Tavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d rather have a rifle that won’t break down as often to need parts. And if it’s that bad and hard to find parts for a Tavor or scar then there will be plenty of guns laying around to pick up
I would rather have a rifle that won't break down and ceramic plates and a bunch of ammo and mags for the same price as your Tavor.
Sucks that money is an issue for u. But for me I want quality and reliability since I feel my life and the life of my family is worth it.  Yeah a  Ford Focus will get u from point a to point b. But Mercedes will get u there more comfortably and is less likely to break down. And get you laid on the way there!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why would you use a firearm in a SHTF situation that would be hard as hell to scrounge basic replacement parts for including magazines? The AR is probably the easiest rifle you'll ever find to scrounge parts for if you prepped and the SHTF plus the cheapest to stockpile a few parts for.
View Quote
Plus it has the largest base of tribal knowledge in the US.

Logistics>All the bullshit in that article.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Money isn’t a restriction for me. I’d rather have 2 better weapons that cost more than 2 worse weapons that cost less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s part of it.   Hopefully, it’s durable enough where o won’t need parts any time soon.  And If it’s that bad there should be plenty of guns to grab including tons of ARs.   This is for my go to weapon.  The weapon that won’t break down bec it’s fragile.
Then you'd be better off with 12 ARs so you can equip a small camp of people, for the price of ~4 wonderrifles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is really good to have a few but when shtf.. AK time.
View Quote
Quoted:
View Quote
This is why I have both...

I keep two AKs, two+ cases of ammo in wood crates and 30 or so AK mags.  
I very rarely ever shoot either of the AKs, so unless SHTF I have more than enough ammo.  I'd likely die for one reason or another before I used all that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes a Tavor better than an AR 15?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It is really good to have a few but when shtf.. AK time.
View Quote

I hope you are joking.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#32]
The article is bullshit.

The AR may not be the choice for certain preppers but absolutely the choice for others.

It would be situation spefic where things like bug in or out, geography, threats (both animal and man), primary food sources that would be shot, etc, city vs country, etc.

Clickbait article is clickbait.

I would offer that likely the AR is proper more often than not for preppers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No. The AR is the best SHTF weapon based on logistics alone. Any problem with an AR can be fixed at home with a basic tool kit. Parts and mags are ubiquitous.
View Quote
I did once re-barrel an AR with a vise block, pipe wrench, a small nail, and a 1996 Thunderbird.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Thousands of rounds reliable isnt adequate? Ok good luck in SHTF I'll have my ARs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I'm not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I'm rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robinson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

View Quote
That article is a joke.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#36]
The author broke his DICKFER
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#37]
My cousin was with 10th group. I know a LOT of SF guys. I don't think anyone of them has ever called himself a "green beret".
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#38]
OP also believes the world is going to end in 12 years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Money isn't a restriction for me. I'd rather have 2 better weapons that cost more than 2 worse weapons that cost less
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I'm not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I'm rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

That's part of it.   Hopefully, it's durable enough where o won't need parts any time soon.  And If it's that bad there should be plenty of guns to grab including tons of ARs.   This is for my go to weapon.  The weapon that won't break down bec it's fragile.
Money isn't a restriction for me. I'd rather have 2 better weapons that cost more than 2 worse weapons that cost less
Lucky for all of us that ARs are very inexpensive and beat all kinds of hell out of all those other rifles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sucks that money is an issue for u. But for me I want quality and reliability since I feel my life and the life of my family is worth it.  Yeah a  Ford Focus will get u from point a to point b. But Mercedes will get u there more comfortably and is less likely to break down. And get you laid on the way there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’d rather have a rifle that won’t break down as often to need parts. And if it’s that bad and hard to find parts for a Tavor or scar then there will be plenty of guns laying around to pick up
Mercedes less likely to break down?  

Your analogy sucks almost as bad as the blog post in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My cousin was with 10th group. I know a LOT of SF guys. I don't think anyone of them has ever called himself a "green beret".
View Quote
Maybe because not every Army SF is a GB?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry you have to depend on your money, Mercedes, and Tavor to get yourself laid.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoting the article -

"On the ReadyMan range, with regular folks appearing with their own AR-15 rifles, grab-bag ammunition, custom modifications and uneven maintenance, our failure rate for shooting ARs runs about 25%."

Wow!, that's terrible.  One ,malfunction for every four pulls of the trigger.  I'm sorry but that does not jive with my personal experience nor with what I have observed of others shooting AR's.

Given the disconnect between the author's statement and my personal experience, I am going to ignore that article.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Author is fucking retarded and shouldn't talk about shit he's clueless about
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe because not every Army SF is a GB?
View Quote
Really? Guess I was wrong.  I thought Green Berets were any Army SF group. Everything else is technically SOF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't need to read the article. Didn't even click it.

"SHITS WHERE IT EATS, POODLE CALIBER, PRONE TO JAMMING, WON'T RUN DIRTY, NEEDS TO BE CLEANED ALL THE TIME, CAIN'T SHOOT THE AK47's ROUNDS...". Shut the fuck up Cleetus. Your illiterate ass was a cook in 'Nam.

The AR15 is the best. How do I know it's the best? It's easy. The absolute best military in the world has used it for ~60 years, spending billions of dollars desperately trying to find a replacement. So far, out of literally everything - nothing really comes close. Thanks to these trials - it's also had ~60 years of innovation, R&D, failure testing, and environment testing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Then why are you buying terrible guns instead of a nice SR15 mod2?
View Quote
I want to know why he isn't posting on the Tavor.com forums.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
FACT: The Tavor is among the worst choices available for prep guns.

A weapon of such workmanship and expense is a scarlet banner waved above the operator's avatar in SHTF conditions. Situational awareness is compromised via a consequential harassment campaign consisting of the multitudes of surviving females intent on ringing Operator's mantenna with trim flocking about him. Even the most average-looking, personally insecure, and pecuniary-centered of operators bear the risk of coozeaclysm as the Mercedesean musk or epicurean taste wafts from his manbag sending them into a gold digging frenzy, thus compromising his position and field of movement.

A second unintended consequence is that the beta-bank account males, so threatened by this phenomena have forced Operator into an unwitting match of King of the Hill. Vying for dominant position, Operator must contend with numbers... 2, 11, 87... men of the the Ford focus class gunning for Operator and his disproportional allocation of attention. Maintaining said position is all the more compromising for Operator as more often than not, the exchange of fire fails to deter at least one or two of the ravenous women, fully intent on oral favor in hopes of scratching a gold Krugerrand off his taint in the process.

Fortunately the Tavor is so-equipped to run sustained firefights without mechanical breakdown or the need to scrounge inferiors for spares, but from the tactical standpoint, Operator must pose the age-old question, is worth the compromise? The answer to which Operator throws back his shoulders in a gale of valley-thundering laughter as he inserts the rounds backwards into his USP mag with a broad grin growling the age old mantra of the Ubermench: No Compromises.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top