Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep. I asked about him a while back and no one else could remember the dirt bike guy that stopped posting..
View Quote
I remember him.  Sad story for sure.

I also remember all manner of sad stories where people did very bad things to other people right here inside our borders. One can also read about hundreds of brand new vacation reviews from Mexico every day of the week where people had a great time.

This is like the media that ignores thousands of cases where people defended themselves with guns but then point at the few assholes who did something bad saying "SEE SEE!!! LOOK!!! This is guns fault!".
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For some odd reason, most people don't think of moonshiners as "organized" crime...they are wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don’t think organized crime doesn’t still make money in the distribution of alcohol, you’re a fool.
For some odd reason, most people don't think of moonshiners as "organized" crime...they are wrong.
In the grand scheme of things tax dodgers just don’t trip my give a shit meter.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Someone goes missing in the US, happens once a week. We have pictures of missing people on milk cartons and "amber alerts" for missing or abducted kids. GD couldn't care less.

Someone goes missing in Mexico, 7 page thread of people saying this is why they won't go to Mexico.
View Quote
Lol, this is exactly right.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Literally thousands of people, plane loads of them, go the Mexico every single day. 365 days a year non stop like a Juggernaut, for vacations. A tiny faction of those, a minuscule few in comparison, that sheer statistics says is likely to happen just about anywhere, goes south and GD does exactly what they hate the media for. Ignoring the facts to push the narrative.

It's likely someone went missing somewhere today. Maybe a tourist got knifed in Ireland over a wallet or passport.  That's not a good thing, it's not happy.  It's sad and I wish evil didn't exist. Holy hell lookout when it does in Mexico though because here comes the sensationalism.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep. I asked about him a while back and no one else could remember the dirt bike guy that stopped posting..
View Quote
That was my friend Harry, I posted a thread about him when he went missing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was my friend Harry, I posted a thread about him when he went missing.
View Quote
Sorry RIO
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At the Riveria Maya, we've gone off the compound to Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Chitzen Itza which included a swim in a cenote near Valladolid.  We had a 4ish very late lunch in Valladolid with a nice wander around downtown after.  Went snorkeling from Maroma Beach marina and to Xel-Ha eco-park.

On our one trip to San Jose del Cabo, we went snorkeling, wandered around downtown, shopped at the Mega.  The snorkeling was from the Cabo marina and we wandered around there, had lunch and stopped occasionally at touristy bars for drinks.  The resort at Cabo sucked since it was also timeshares, shitty food, and shitty drinks.

Next year we are doing a Riviera Maya all inclusive 11 nighter.  The resort we like was carved out of the jungle about a half-mile off the road, has a half-mile beach, 9 restaurants, and 14 bars and covers 136 acres.  2/3rds of the way from Cancun to Playa Del Carmen 45 minutes south of the airport.  Good food and lots of decent booze labels.  Good beer selection both Mexican and American. The buildings are smaller, two or three stories, and from the ground are very well screened by trees and shrubs.  Live music in the plaza, piano bar, live performance theater, and other entertainment every evening.  Includes shooting (22 rifles) a couple afternoons a week.  Bike riding, organized runs, water aerobics, cigar bar, local arts and crafts vendors that do not pester you set up most evenings in the plaza.  The resort covers 136 acres.  This trip we may very well not leave the resort but who knows.  We've done two 10 nighters and a 7 nighter there and we were not bored.  No kids are allowed at the resort which is a huge plus.  There are much bigger resorts but we like where we go and don't want to risk being disappointed elsewhere.  Going to a place like this is sort of like a cruise except not crowded, eat when you want without reservations, go on excursions without worrying about missing the boat, big pools and a number of other advantages.

Every other year we go to an East Coast or Gulf Coast beach with the kids and rent a condo on the beach so we are not in a Mexico rut by any means.  Just a beach and pool rut.

We would not consider going to a one building hotel with not much beach in Cancun or any other resort town in Mexico except maybe in Cabo walkable to the marina and a beach.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/260679_jpg-749266.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/312702/alberca_jpg-749257.JPG
View Quote
@MATTINFAIRBORN

Which resort? We went to Dreams/Secrets at Riveria Maya earlier this year. Awesome time!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There’s nowhere in the world where you have zero risk of being robbed or killed. If the only acceptable percentage for you is zero, I’m not sure where you could travel. Tourists fall victim to crime everywhere, even in the US.

There is no zero-risk activity or zero-risk vacation. The risk to the average American tourist in Mexico is extremely low.
View Quote
Low - compared to where?  England?  Hawaii?  Switzerland?

If zero is unrealistic, then what is the number?  What is the current number for Mexico?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you don’t think organized crime doesn’t still make money in the distribution of alcohol, you’re a fool.
View Quote
Do they make as much - in relative terms - as they did under Prohibition?

Are they killing as many people over alcohol distribution - as they did under Prohibition?

When is the last time an organized crime organization scragged someone over a truckload of beer?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why people still go to Mexico is beyond me.
View Quote
The only way I'd go is as part of an Expeditionary Force.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I could think of  HUNDREDS of other places to vacation besides Mexico.

Its like the missionaries  that go over to shit holes in Africa then get killed in said shit hole.
View Quote
As long as the Mormon Missionaries are in the area, you're safe. The day the Church pulls them out of that area is when it's time for you to leave as well. Mexico is safe, just don't do stupid stuff.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
More people die in 1 day in the US in traffic accidents than are killed while on vacation out of the country in a whole year.

Yet people here aren't scared of cars

ETA yes by all means stay home, my favorite vacation spots are getting too crowded anyway.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I remember him.  Sad story for sure.

I also remember all manner of sad stories where people did very bad things to other people right here inside our borders.
View Quote
Delightful.  How many of said malefactors were here illegally from Mexico?

Is it your argument that we may as well go to Mexico, because they will just come here to kill us if we don't?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Literally thousands of people, plane loads of them, go the Mexico every single day. 365 days a year non stop like a Juggernaut, for vacations. A tiny faction of those, a minuscule few in comparison, that sheer statistics says is likely to happen just about anywhere, goes south and GD does exactly what they hate the media for. Ignoring the facts to push the narrative.

It's likely someone went missing somewhere today. Maybe a tourist got knifed in Ireland over a wallet or passport.  That's not a good thing, it's not happy.  It's sad and I wish evil didn't exist. Holy hell lookout when it does in Mexico though because here comes the sensationalism.
View Quote
Mexico is such a wonderful place that Mexicans come here illegally, and fight like hell to stay here.  If they are deported back, they come right back here.

How many times was the dude that shot the lady in San Fran sent back?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Honestly, don't give a shit.

You go to a shithole, get killed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Visiting Juarez was nothing like being attacked by a grizzly bear. I felt entirely safe the whole time I was there. We walked around quite a bit, including in some areas well off the beaten path for visitors. We also attended a nighttime street concert, walked around the downtown area, wandered around El Chamizal Park, had drinks at a random dive bar, ate great food, and stayed in a nice hotel. The violence has calmed down dramatically since 2008-2012.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet there are still people here saying there are safe parts of Mexico.
Juarez is great for a walkabout, I hear.
It is. I was there last month and had a nice time walking around the city.
Yeah. I also know a guy that survived a Grizzly attack. He should go around telling people to try the same. He lived.
Visiting Juarez was nothing like being attacked by a grizzly bear. I felt entirely safe the whole time I was there. We walked around quite a bit, including in some areas well off the beaten path for visitors. We also attended a nighttime street concert, walked around the downtown area, wandered around El Chamizal Park, had drinks at a random dive bar, ate great food, and stayed in a nice hotel. The violence has calmed down dramatically since 2008-2012.
Try again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m glad someone here gets it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If zero is unrealistic, then what is the number?  What is the current number for Mexico?
View Quote
The number of visitors killed by foul play is probably less than five per year.  This is for the Cancun region which gets millions of visitors a year.

Even this event is unclear.  She may be alive.  If she drowned maybe it was foul play, suicide or poor choice on when/where  to swim.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Try again.
View Quote
Still much lower than before.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.
Still not exactly a safe place to visit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#21]
23.6 million passengers through the Cancun airport in 2017.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There’s nowhere in the world where you have zero risk of being robbed or killed. If the only acceptable percentage for you is zero, I’m not sure where you could travel. Tourists fall victim to crime everywhere, even in the US.

There is no zero-risk activity or zero-risk vacation. The risk to the average American tourist in Mexico is extremely low.

Low enough that it doesn’t make sense to skip a trip to Mexico over fear of being murdered.

In 2016, more than 31 million American citizens visited Mexico. 75 were murdered in Mexico. That’s around 1 in 420,000. 49 million American citizens visited other countries and 69 were murdered in those countries, about 1 in 710,000.

Both rates are very low. But we should also consider that a large portion of the 31 million who visited Mexico were not tourists. Many were visiting family, some were going to engage in criminal activity, and people in both of those categories are presumably significantly more likely to be victims of crime than average American tourists going to a resort in Cancun.

I would suspect that a tiny handful of people who you would consider to be average tourists are murdered in Mexico each year. Maybe 5 or 10–it’s hard to say, as the people compiling the statistics don’t differentiate between tourists and US citizens visiting Mexico for other reasons.

Even if all 75 who were murdered in Mexico were average tourists, 1 in 420,000 is quite a low rate. A person who lives in Montana has about a 1 in 250,000 chance of being struck by lightning in a given year. Should everyone who lives in Montana leave the state out of fear of being struck by lightning?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.
If you're scared, stay home. Easy
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.
It seemed perfectly safe when I visited last month. The murder rate is still high by American standards, but the risk to a visitor who isn’t involved in criminal activity is low.

The article says there were 160 murders in Juarez in June. How many of those do you think were innocent tourists like me?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@MATTINFAIRBORN

Which resort? We went to Dreams/Secrets at Riveria Maya earlier this year. Awesome time!
View Quote
Valentin Imperial Maya.  On the ground, walking around, mostly what you see are beautifully landscaped plantings that screen the buildings really well.   Has an intimate feel.  The pool water is nice and warm which is enormously important to us.  Service is good and the food is good.  The French restaurant and the sushi bar in the Japanese restaurant are my favorites.  During the tainted booze fiasco, the Valentin went into detail about what they do to prevent any tampering.  The crowd is mixed age and relaxed.  The wrong place if you expect to see topless babes or public fooling around.  So far in 27 nights over 3 trips we haven't eaten everywhere, had a drink in every bar, or swam in every pool.  Quite a bit more variety than on a cruise ship.

We buy trip insurance.  $180ish each and that includes a bunch of money for medical expense and up to $75k for medical evacuation.  The resort has an infirmary so if you get sick you don't have to go to a local rip off the tourist clinic.

We've been holding off until tomorrow, travel Tuesday, to see if we can get cheaper flights for next July.  Yesterday, using Cheap Caribbean, an 11-night stay in a standard room with round-trip airfare from Dayton and airport transfer was $3700ish.  Not inexpensive but we were poor early on and a shitty room at Myrtle Beach for a week was all we could afford after nearly 10 years of not being able to justify going anywhere.

Last year, for our 30th anniversary, we stayed 10 nights in a 1032 sq ft Imperial Suite, with an even larger wrap around terrace. The whole end on the 3rd (top) floor of a building.  A 4 person hot tub on the terrace, a two-person jacuzzi inside, master shower for 4, second bathroom had a shower for 2.  That cost, ahem, a bit more.  And we didn't spend much time in the room.  Worth it once for a special occasion but the standard room is really nice and bigger than a usual hotel room with several room type upgrades available.

All the canned Mexican Coke you can drink.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Low enough that it doesn’t make sense to skip a trip to Mexico over fear of being murdered.

In 2016, more than 31 million American citizens visited Mexico. 75 were murdered in Mexico. That’s around 1 in 420,000. 49 million American citizens visited other countries and 69 were murdered in those countries, about 1 in 710,000.

Both rates are very low. But we should also consider that a large portion of the 31 million who visited Mexico were not tourists. Many were visiting family, some were going to engage in criminal activity, and people in both of those categories are presumably significantly more likely to be victims of crime than average American tourists going to a resort in Cancun.

I would suspect that a tiny handful of people who you would consider to be average tourists are murdered in Mexico each year. Maybe 5 or 10–it’s hard to say, as the people compiling the statistics don’t differentiate between tourists and US citizens visiting Mexico for other reasons.

Even if all 75 who were murdered in Mexico were average tourists, 1 in 420,000 is quite a low rate. A person who lives in Montana has about a 1 in 250,000 chance of being struck by lightning in a given year. Should everyone who lives in Montana leave the state out of fear of being struck by lightning?
View Quote
By your own math, you're almost twice as likely to die vacationing in Mexico than anywhere else in the world.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It seemed perfectly safe when I visited last month. The murder rate is still high by American standards, but the risk to a visitor who isn’t involved in criminal activity is low.

The article says there were 160 murders in Juarez in June. How many of those do you think were innocent tourists like me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.

Juarez isn't exactly teeming with tourists...
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

By your own math, you're almost twice as likely to die vacationing in Mexico than anywhere else in the world.
View Quote
Provide data for the Cancun area.  I don't care about US residents dealing in drugs being killed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mexico is such a wonderful place that Mexicans come here illegally, and fight like hell to stay here.  If they are deported back, they come right back here.

How many times was the dude that shot the lady in San Fran sent back?
View Quote
I never said here wasn't a better place to live.  It most certainly is.  It's especially enticing to those who are looking to not come here legitimately to work hard and cut out a piece of the pie, but instead take advantage and abuse our "free shit" system.

That said, going to Mexico equally isn't a death sentence as so many here like to tout via their group think based in inexperienced dramatizations.  It is in fact the opposite, a currently thriving and popular vacation destination, one in an industry that stands quite a lot to lose by bad press or killing off it's customers.  From a statistical point of view, in terms of "safe" or not, it just isn't at all as bad as some people want it to be to rationalize or justify their feelings.

There are simply a lot of chicken little's and skies falling around the topic.  Often, the same people who look at other topics objectively and with logic instead of emotion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This sounds like the typical "tourist goes and tries swimming in a death trap" problem.

Hawaii people know what I'm talking about.
View Quote
Any touristy costal area
People really let go of common sense on vacation
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any touristy costal area
People really let go of common sense on vacation
View Quote
Add alcohol consumption and swimming fatalities likely increase.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mexico is the kidnapping capital of the world
And not by a small amount

Even Mexicans tell me Mexico is a criminal paradise

If I have to pay off cops to leave me alone when I am just out having a good time

Mexico can sink into the ocean
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I have to pay off cops to leave me alone when I am just out having a good time

View Quote
Pretty sure Phoenix AZ had one of the highest per capita kidnapping rates in the world not too long ago.

"What officials caution is now a dangerous and even deadly crime wave, Phoenix, Arizona has become the kidnapping capital of America, with more incidents than any other city in the world outside of Mexico City and over 370 cases last year alone. But local authorities say Washington, DC is too obsessed with al Qaeda terrorists to care about what is happening in their own backyard right now. "
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
While their sometimes true, buy here pay here style traffic stops are certainly not specific only their country, the average traveler has zero interaction with police outside of international airports.  Not to mention nearly anyone else outside of the resort staff for that matter if they choose not to.

The vast majority are shuttled directly to and then spend their time on resort beaches being served drinks in their chair 30 feet from the ocean or discussing the maitre d's personal preferences on that night's fillet prep and matching wine list.

One might take one's fate in their own hands by going to mingle with the locals at the dive bar watering hole, but that can be said just as easily for many places here at home.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Has her body been found yet ?

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but the rate is fairly close to being twice as high as the average rate for all other countries.

Either way, the rate is extremely low. And it includes lots of American citizens who were going to Mexico for reasons other than tourism. It also includes tourists like me who go on wild adventures in Mexico and don’t stick to normal tourist destinations.

And, if you live in Montana, you are almost twice as likely to be struck by lightning in a given year as an American tourist is to be murdered in Mexico. Again, should everyone in Montana flee the state out of fear of lightning strikes?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Provide data for the Cancun area.  I don't care about US residents dealing in drugs being killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't provide any data, which is why I said "by your own math".
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Has her body been found yet ?

View Quote
Read through this entire thread wondering the same thing, but all I see is this.

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:49:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Phoenix AZ had one of the highest per capita kidnapping rates in the world not too long ago.

"What officials caution is now a dangerous and even deadly crime wave, Phoenix, Arizona has become the kidnapping capital of America, with more incidents than any other city in the world outside of Mexico City and over 370 cases last year alone. But local authorities say Washington, DC is too obsessed with al Qaeda terrorists to care about what is happening in their own backyard right now. "
View Quote
Gee - wonder what other country many of those Pheonix kidnap victims end up in, and from whence the perpretrators hailed?

Golly - one wonders.  It sure couldn't be good ol' safe Mehico.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No, but the rate is fairly close to being twice as high as the average rate for all other countries.

Either way, the rate is extremely low. And it includes lots of American citizens who were going to Mexico for reasons other than tourism. It also includes tourists like me who go on wild adventures in Mexico and don’t stick to normal tourist destinations.

And, if you live in Montana, you are almost twice as likely to be struck by lightning in a given year as an American tourist is to be murdered in Mexico. Again, should everyone in Montana flee the state out of fear of lightning strikes?
View Quote
1.  Americans never go to other countries than Mexico for reasons other than tourism?
2.  There is no lightning in Mexico?  Or, more likely, you get to run a similar risk of that, PLUS the particular Mexican brand of mayhem?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

1.  Americans never go to other countries than Mexico for reasons other than tourism?
2.  There is no lightning in Mexico?  Or, more likely, you get to run a similar risk of that, PLUS the particular Mexican brand of mayhem?
View Quote
This is why there are Americans waiting for years to move to Mexico. It's not a third world shit hole like we all thought. We're lucky to have been educated so thoroughly... I had a dim view of Mexico growing up on the border in Texas, and having Mexican family members who said it was horrible, and finding corpses of people fleeing Mexico in rivers. Who would have thought it wasn't so bad all along?

And now we learn there's no lighning in Mexico, either? Sign me up!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.
It seemed perfectly safe when I visited last month. The murder rate is still high by American standards, but the risk to a visitor who isn't involved in criminal activity is low.

Neither is Detroit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Neither is Detroit.
View Quote
And?

They aren't discovering mass graves in Detroit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neither is Detroit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.
It seemed perfectly safe when I visited last month. The murder rate is still high by American standards, but the risk to a visitor who isn't involved in criminal activity is low.

Neither is Detroit.
Yeah, and I wouldn't recommend going to either place.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#45]
My wife won't do the Mexican resort thing
otherwise I would go frequently
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Of course they do. But we have been talking about the risk to average tourists, so I wanted to point out that the rate for average tourists is likely significantly lower than 1 in 420,000, because of all the Americans who go to Mexico for non-tourism reasons.

2. Of course there is, although the risk is probably lower than it is for people in Montana (Montana has a higher rate of lightning striking people than other states in the US). But that’s not the point. The point is that both are very low risks. Do you really think 1 in 420,000+ is too risky? The murder rate just about anywhere in the US is higher than that. Even in New Hampshire, which has the lowest murder rate in the US, it’s about 1 in 100,000 (more than 4 times higher than the rate of Americans being murdered in Mexico).
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time cops kick down the door of a "drop house" and find 30 illegals living there, it goes on the books as 30 counts of kidnapping against each one of their handlers. Typically 3 or 4 guys in charge. So every drop house can net you over 100 counts of kidnapping on record. Despite what GD and the media will insist, there are no armed gangs of narcos throwing white children into vans and extorting money from their families. JFC.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
More people die in 1 day in the US in traffic accidents than are killed while on vacation out of the country in a whole year.

Yet people here aren't scared of cars

ETA yes by all means stay home, my favorite vacation spots are getting too crowded anyway.
View Quote
Actually people are scared of cars, that is why there is a such a big push for autonomous vehicles etc
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
And what’s the percentage of American tourists in Mexico who actually experience any of those things?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s sad. Thousands of Americans and people from all over the world visit Mexico every day and the vast majority come home just fine. It’s the 6th most visited country in the world—it gets about 40 million visitors per year.

It’s also sad that so many here are so terrified of such an interesting, beautiful country. Hard to understand the irrational fear that so many here seem to have.
Oh, gee - what could it be?

Corrupt as hell police and government, 3rd world medical care if something does happen, tourists dying from tainted alcohol in resorts, water ad n food born illnesses, widespread rape, murder, kidnapping, narco violence, gun running, human trafficking, people smuggling, and headless corpses hanging from the overpasses.  What's not to love?
And what’s the percentage of American tourists in Mexico who actually experience any of those things?
Why risk it? I can get a nice beach pic in so many places...with no chance of being kidnapped
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1. Of course they do. But we have been talking about the risk to average tourists, so I wanted to point out that the rate for average tourists is likely significantly lower than 1 in 420,000, because of all the Americans who go to Mexico for non-tourism reasons.

2. Of course there is, although the risk is probably lower than it is for people in Montana (Montana has a higher rate of lightning striking people than other states in the US). But that’s not the point. The point is that both are very low risks. Do you really think 1 in 420,000+ is too risky? The murder rate just about anywhere in the US is higher than that. Even in New Hampshire, which has the lowest murder rate in the US, it’s about 1 in 100,000 (more than 4 times higher than the rate of Americans being murdered in Mexico).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  This is completely offset by the fact that for the other countries as well, the rate for tourists  is likely significantly lower than 1 in 710,000 for the very same reason.  No offense, but how much of a math background do you have?

2.  Of course it is so, because the length of exposure is much greater.   Most people aren't on vacation for all year, so they spend much more of their time in their home State.  Let's swag a one week vacation.  Thane that means for 51 weeks, a New Hampshire resident has a cumulative risk of 1 in 100,000, or 1 in 5,100,000 per week.  Whereas the one week he is in Mexico, he is running a 1 in 420,000 risk, since he is only there the one week.    That's over TWELVE TIMES THE RISK on a per week basis.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top