BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only $400, clearly it's better than the pile of Lodge stuff I have.
View Quote

For another $400, you can buy an electric power cord and save the planet. Windmill not included.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#2]
So Yeti is basically adding a few accessories to another manfucturer's skillet and charging $400 instead of $345.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, actually he isn't right.   Antique cast iron is much thinner than the stuff that Lodge puts out and as such is much lighter, easier to handle and heats up more quickly.  In fact, the really old gate-marked cast iron cookware is incredibly thin.  All of those things make it much more enjoyable to use on a regular basis.

My antique Griswold and Wagner dutch ovens, chicken fryers and skillets probably weight 30% less than a comparably sized new Lodge.

That Yeti looks to me from the wall thickness like it doesn't have any of those advantages despite the enormous price tag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

About 50 cents worth of vegetable oil.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

No, actually he isn't right.   Antique cast iron is much thinner than the stuff that Lodge puts out and as such is much lighter, easier to handle and heats up more quickly.  In fact, the really old gate-marked cast iron cookware is incredibly thin.  All of those things make it much more enjoyable to use on a regular basis.

My antique Griswold and Wagner dutch ovens, chicken fryers and skillets probably weight 30% less than a comparably sized new Lodge.

That Yeti looks to me from the wall thickness like it doesn't have any of those advantages despite the enormous price tag.

Butter pat is definitely lighter than lodge
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just went on a weekend camping trip. My 15 year old Coleman extreme that I probably paid $35 for held ice all weekend.

And it was way lighter to lug around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.

I just went on a weekend camping trip. My 15 year old Coleman extreme that I probably paid $35 for held ice all weekend.

Not defending Yeti but those are not equivalent statements.  I lug the heavy ass knock-off around because If I need the cooler to last 4 days on the ice I started with in May/June and there are perishables within it's the only option.  If I need ice over the weekend, nearly any cooler at all will work but Coleman Extreme will have more ice left than most.  Im still not going to replace that rotomold monster if it ever dies though I don't think.  It just weighs too god damned much.  I always find myself asking if there's any way I can avoid bringing that bastard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote

Just think of how dumb the average person....then remember that half of the people are dumber than that.

YES....there are plenty of people out there who will buy it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#6]
They have to be trolling at this point.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeti has proven over.  And over.  And over again.  That people are that stupid.
View Quote

BINGO
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

$25 will get you a made in the USA Lodge, but yes people are that stupid.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm guessing that the Yeti pan may be machined smooth on the cooking surface?? From what I could see it looks nicely made..Lodge could set up a machine and smooth out the pans and charge a few more dollars.

I bought a square Lodge frying pan from Rural King.. I used my mouse sander and some 60 and 80 grit sand paper to smooth cooking surface..got it fairly smooth. Using my oven at 450 degrees and some Avocado oil I seasoned it along with a round 12 inch lodge and 15 inch Amazon cast iron skillet..did 6 rounds of seasoning. The 12 inch pan has been my main pan for cooking the last 4 months.. I clean it with very hot water and a "Scrub Daddy" pad..dry it on stove top and wipe a thin coat of avocado over the inside of pan. My wife thinks the food tastes better off of the cast Iron ...I know it does. I found that the The 15 inch pan is too big for the 2 of us.. only used the 10 square pan twice so far, the 12 inch is the perfect one for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a pile of lodge, it's fine.

If it's that much of a deal to people, they can buy a lodge, a da sander, and sandpaper, and still have 300 left over for beer for the price of a yetipans.

I'm guessing that the Yeti pan may be machined smooth on the cooking surface?? From what I could see it looks nicely made..Lodge could set up a machine and smooth out the pans and charge a few more dollars.

I bought a square Lodge frying pan from Rural King.. I used my mouse sander and some 60 and 80 grit sand paper to smooth cooking surface..got it fairly smooth. Using my oven at 450 degrees and some Avocado oil I seasoned it along with a round 12 inch lodge and 15 inch Amazon cast iron skillet..did 6 rounds of seasoning. The 12 inch pan has been my main pan for cooking the last 4 months.. I clean it with very hot water and a "Scrub Daddy" pad..dry it on stove top and wipe a thin coat of avocado over the inside of pan. My wife thinks the food tastes better off of the cast Iron ...I know it does. I found that the The 15 inch pan is too big for the 2 of us.. only used the 10 square pan twice so far, the 12 inch is the perfect one for us.

If food actually tasted better off cast iron, high end restaurants would be doing it.

The food doesn't taste better, and I'd bet even the biggest cast iron proponents wouldn't be able to tell on blind taste tests.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ll buy the RTIC / Walmart brand version for $50
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Yes it is still bucket. The capacity of the bucket is all that it has in common with a homer bucket though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
New Wagner and Lodge is horribly thick.  If you can face off the bottom on a mill and leave a fire ring on the perimeter, then you may have something.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not defending Yeti but those are not equivalent statements.  I lug the heavy ass knock-off around because If I need the cooler to last 4 days on the ice I started with in May/June and there are perishables within it's the only option.  If I need ice over the weekend, nearly any cooler at all will work but Coleman Extreme will have more ice left than most.  Im still not going to replace that rotomold monster if it ever dies though I don't think.  It just weighs too god damned much.  I always find myself asking if there's any way I can avoid bringing that bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.

You're right.

But the Coleman extreme will last a lot longer than a weekend.

The point is, if ice retention is a priority. Many much cheaper options will do just as well as a Yeti or other high dollar roto molded coolers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The people who buy this deserve it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah… Think I’ll just stick with my Matfer Bourgeat and DeBuyer skillets.

More practical, cheaper, all the perks of cast iron without the downsides.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m pretty sure Yeti’s business model is fundamentally money laundering. Corporate executives funnel advertising money into buying Yetis with different logos on them, and then get personal kickbacks from the regional distributors. I own a few Yeti products. All of them have various ag supply logos on them that I got for free at ag events and crop tours.

I don’t know anyone personally who paid retail price for any Yeti product.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If food actually tasted better off cast iron, high end restaurants would be doing it.

The food doesn't taste better, and I'd bet even the biggest cast iron proponents wouldn't be able to tell on blind taste tests.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's that much of a deal to people, they can buy a lodge, a da sander, and sandpaper, and still have 300 left over for beer for the price of a yetipans.

They do.  Not exclusively but I doubt you'd find a 4 or 5 star restaurant completely devoid of cast iron in the kitchen.
I couldn't tell in a taste test.  Some might.  I do know it cooks differently and the lack of teflon in my food is huge bonus.

Restaurants of all levels use cast iron.

The Marriott has a whole chain of Cast iron grill restaurants associated with them. This one is in Hamburg.

If your Fajitas don't arrive at your table sizzling on cast iron SEND IT BACK!

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]

The power of Branding.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Who cares!!!!!! Only an idiot would spend $ supporting companies that actively try to take away one's rights. They fall into the same category Anheuser Busch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

About 50 cents worth of vegetable oil.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

The Yeti is about 3.5 lbs lighter than a comparable lodge.  Only $100 per pound taken out. Sounds like a bargain.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course.  They buy their overpriced coolers by the truck loads.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes it is still bucket. The capacity of the bucket is all that it has in common with a homer bucket though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You bought a 40 dollar bucket, didn't cha?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
No regrets about any yeti product I own, but a $400 yeti skillet?  That’s a no for me, dawg.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
https://www.thecoolerzone.com/yeti-coolers-nra-everything-need-know/
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#26]
For everybody wondering if people are really that stupid...

It's sold out!

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's sold out!

https://i.postimg.cc/YqgWFcxs/Screenshot-2023-06-13-135053.png
View Quote

I'd mark it sold out after the first 24 or 48 hours of being up just to create the illusion of demand.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I've never understood why people get so mad when someone sets the price for selling something they want to sell where they want to set it.

Would I buy that? No. But it simply being available for $400 doesn't bother me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd mark it sold out after the first 24 or 48 hours of being up just to create the illusion of demand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sold out!

https://i.postimg.cc/YqgWFcxs/Screenshot-2023-06-13-135053.png

But they're losing a ton of Father's Day sales.

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cast cooks nice, even poors cast.

I have one of the casserole baking dish deals from lodge with the high walls. It gets about as much use as the frying pans. Oven, grill, coleman stove, lodge pan don't give a fk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's the metal doing it. I think it's the difference in the way people use it. I tend to cook cooler with a non stick coated pan. Cast? Heat it until it smokes then back off a click. Many restaurant cooks are similar, high output burners, hot and fast. Look at the way a good Asian place does their work over a jet burner VS most home chefs making sad oily fried rice in cold pans.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Conspicuous consumption. That’s the point of some products.
“Hey! Look at me! I have so much money I can blow it on a $400 skillet!”
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It certainly can.

The best steaks I ever tasted, high end steakhouses included, where made in the dining car of the passenger train I used to work on. While we used iron pans, the real secret was the 1 inch plus thick steel heating plates they sat on.

Once up to temp it took only 45 seconds per side to yield awesome perfectly seared and caramelized steaks. Even the regular store bought ribeyes that I brought for lunch were impressive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#34]
My boss bought me a Yeti gallon insulated keg/bottle. It quite holding ice a month in. Yeti sent me one under warranty, it doesn't keep ice either. Bought a Walmart gallon copy and it holds 24 hours.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Honestly, good on Yeti for being able to make that much profit off stupid folks. People pay $80 for a plastic homer bucket and lid that probably costs them $2 to make. That is incredible.

I have a Yeti cooler that I won at work in a fundraiser raffle. It is a really great cooler but it’s no better than my Lifetime cooler which was 1/3 the cost.

I do love my Yeti tumbler, though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

New Wagner and Lodge is horribly thick.  If you can face off the bottom on a mill and leave a fire ring on the perimeter, then you may have something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you want cast iron skillets to be thick? Their whole purpose is retaining heat. If you go thin you might as well go regular shit. Am I wrong? Genuinely asking

I love most yet stuff, have coolers, tumblers, dog bowls and even their actually fantastic dog beds. But 400 for a cast iron is insane to me
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Speaking of insanely overpriced shit, have we laughed at Pecos tables yet? https://pecosoutdoor.com/products/the-pecos-table?variant=41111205216461

700 bucks for a tiny fucking table lol. I have no idea how they haven't folded (pun intended) yet
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#39]
The shitposting I could do with that would make it easily worth $400
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#40]
FFS
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've never understood why people get so mad when someone sets the price for selling something they want to sell where they want to set it.

Would I buy that? No. But it simply being available for $400 doesn't bother me.
View Quote

We have created a society where continual outrage is normal.

Get with it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Lol. I was off by $100.  When I saw the title of the is thread I took a guess at $300.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#44]
There are some parallels to the activity on this site of enthusiastically spending $3k on a gun and then pic flexing with it.  Cargo is cargo, and cork sniffing is cork sniffing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Speaking of insanely overpriced shit, have we laughed at Pecos tables yet? https://pecosoutdoor.com/products/the-pecos-table?variant=41111205216461

700 bucks for a tiny fucking table lol. I have no idea how they haven't folded (pun intended) yet
View Quote

How about this "end table"... it's ON SALE for $550!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There are some parallels to the activity on this site of enthusiastically spending $3k on a gun and then pic flexing with it.  Cargo is cargo, and cork sniffing is cork sniffing.
View Quote

Very much ironic too. Should post a few photos of all my yeti buckets I wasted money on and flex a bit. See if I can tile some people up. Maybe have my three yeti coolers in the photo as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't you want cast iron skillets to be thick? Their whole purpose is retaining heat. If you go thin you might as well go regular shit. Am I wrong? Genuinely asking

I love most yet stuff, have coolers, tumblers, dog bowls and even their actually fantastic dog beds. But 400 for a cast iron is insane to me
View Quote

Genuinely asking an honest question in a GD outrage thread?  What kind of lunatic are you?

Since you are being genuine I'll give you my honest answer. First you are in part correct.  Holding heat evenly is a quality of thick cast iron and there are situations where that is extremely desirable.  However there are plenty of situations were thickness does not add any advantage at all.  For example most anything that is cooked inside the oven, be it baking, roasting, or braising, a pot or skillet is going to saturate to the oven temperature regardless of thickness. In that role thicker is just heavier.  And Weight is what led to cast iron falling by the wayside. Another advantage of thinner over thicker is when you are in a hurry.  Crank the burner up and the thinner one comes up to cooking temperature faster. Lastly, casting iron thinly is difficult and leads to a much higher failure rate at the foundry.  Consequently thin cast iron has an association with quality and skill.

When aluminum cookware hit the market in the late 50's the women who were predominantly doing the cooking in American kitchens were thrilled to no longer have to heft heavy cast iron pots and pans.  Cast iron all but disappeared from the American marketplace.  The problem with Aluminum cookware (aside from giving you Alzheimer's) is that it does not take seasoning the way cast iron does.  Everything sticks to that shit.  Teflon coating was then the magic answer to that but it scrapes off too easily and recent years have revealed a lot of negative side effects to ingesting Teflon.  That's why you see things like 'copper coat', green coating and a variety of other enamel coatings being pushed in infomercials.  A thin cast iron pan properly seasoned actually gives in realty what those snake oil solutions promise on TV.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I ordered two more yeti buckets today. Bright red. Perfect for catching liberal tears.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#50]
It seems like everyone is ignoring this product has successfully been on the market for a while. I never planned on buying a $350 cast iron, and I still won't, but a lot of people already have, and it wasn't brand loyalty.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top