Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3233
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

I was all ready to be mad at the retailer that did that, but Mike is a good guy. His website sucks though.

I'm not sure if there is much variation in the thickness of Emerson blade stock. Grinds differ, some have swedges, but I bet he keeps the stock all the same. The XHD series is thicker stock. I think the bearings are limited to the flipper because of the whole hard use claim, bearings more likely to gunk up, but needed for flippers, and people want flippers, so they offer a few.

The CQC13 comes in a bowie style blade. That is more common, more readily available. I haven't handled one, but I had a Tiger which uses the same handle. Surprisingly comfy to me. MaxxII liked it as well. So much so, he stole it from me. But those are both more common models that may have better availability.

Love the kwaiken.

What you really want is a 0640 probably. Or all of the above

There is a user Sheepdog bowie on Bf right now for $145 that will need a trip to spa (currently Emerson is taking ~two months).

View Quote
0640 is tempting but I don't think the PG disks I have fit them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
My edge agenda for today was to make this -
https://i.imgur.com/8bE1Lt4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cm39ziM.jpg

Into this -
https://i.imgur.com/X6PAD2Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zPfssWY.jpg

It was in decent shape so it didn't take too long. Looks like the original haft but the wedging is all janky. I may redo that later. I also will need to wrap the butt where it is cracked for an inch or so. I think the Irish linen will do nicely there. Square logo Plumb could be as old as 1917. It has a nice ring to it when tapped.
View Quote

What does the ring mean?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:
https://i.imgur.com/KalnJXT.jpg
View Quote

I'm starting to think pie is a substantial chunk of your diet
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By maleante:

I always thought I had eaten at a Popeye's once a long time ago in Farmington, NM. I just googled it and to my surprise it's actually a Church's chicken. I'll take a burrito or burger over a chicken sandwich any day. My progeny like chicken nuggets but my wife doesn't want them eating garbage chicken glued together so we get them at the 'fila. I've never actually enjoyed a chic fila sandwich. They're edible and fine to eat, but not a delicious meal. I can bread and cook a chicken breast at home, add some pickles, and toss it in a brioche bun for a better meal. Chic fila is a touch above meh at best. I'll have to try a popeye's chicken sandwich. There's a popeye's near me in a mall so I'll have to don a mask and fight the mall crowd to get me some popeye's - the problem I foresee is that there's also a sbarro in the foodcourt. I'll have to fight the urge to eat airport pizza instead...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By conndcj:
Yep, that's the most suitable kit to go to Popeyes here as well.  Nearly always like that.  But it is SO worth getting into a running gunbattle for.  Not only is it better that CFA (not that CFA is trash) but it is cheaper as well.  And it's certainly the best chicken sandwich on Sundays.

I always thought I had eaten at a Popeye's once a long time ago in Farmington, NM. I just googled it and to my surprise it's actually a Church's chicken. I'll take a burrito or burger over a chicken sandwich any day. My progeny like chicken nuggets but my wife doesn't want them eating garbage chicken glued together so we get them at the 'fila. I've never actually enjoyed a chic fila sandwich. They're edible and fine to eat, but not a delicious meal. I can bread and cook a chicken breast at home, add some pickles, and toss it in a brioche bun for a better meal. Chic fila is a touch above meh at best. I'll have to try a popeye's chicken sandwich. There's a popeye's near me in a mall so I'll have to don a mask and fight the mall crowd to get me some popeye's - the problem I foresee is that there's also a sbarro in the foodcourt. I'll have to fight the urge to eat airport pizza instead...

I had never seen or been to a Church's until I was stationed in KS. Saw it one day shortly after getting there and thought "oh yeah". It was bleh. Maybe it was just that place, but I haven't been to one since.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]

https://i.imgur.com/WlXOQIq.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/WlXOQIq.jpg

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]

not sure how to respond...

https://i.imgur.com/El533Dn.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Yeah, mine is just regular GITD

That’s ok. It’s more stealth that way.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

What does the ring mean?
View Quote
Ostensibly nothing, at least in the terms of the old lore that hard steel can be assessed by "ringing" it. Shape & thickness etc. affect the tone though and this thing happens to be kind of bell like. I do like it though when using a tool if it has a nice ring.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

I have a friend who used to sell ZT on Amazon. He got on their shitlist for including a free pouch with his orders. They said including that $3 pouch violated their MAP policy.
So I used to be able to get ZTs at dealer cost before they banned him.
I think I paid $130 for my 0562CF.

Another thing people do is buy clones from Wish, buy a legit knife on Amazon then return the clone to Amazon. Sometimes a clone gets resold as legit this way.

My friend was burned a few times with clones being returned to him.

Hell, people will put $5 gas station knives back in the box and return them too.

Those people eventually get blacklisted but it takes a while.

View Quote

The returning a clone is pretty widespread. It's super shitty.

MAP policies are a bitch. My friend has a business in another hobby. He has to sell for map and in order to maintain various pricing and net30/60/90 terms he has to order certain amounts of products so often and in certain product tiers.

Sadly some companies are very proud of poor sellers so he gets stuck with crap he can't sell well except when they give the OK for a sale when a new model comes out or after their big named dealers already had their sales.

Me and a couple of other friends help him by selling some of his stuck inventory through our private accounts where the companies can't tie it back to him.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I reached out to him, will PM you if it is still available, see what he says.

And the A100s are single edge and swedged.

Wondering about the grind on the Kwaiback. Looks to be flat, but looking to confirm.
View Quote

Overlooked this, sorry.  It is indeed flat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I always love the shitty advice that gets given out in these threads...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-EDC-knife-opinions-/5-2401961/
View Quote

I skip a lot of them.

A) People rarely actually read what the OP wants
B) They just recommend whatever they own without listening to what the OP wants.
C) Half of the OPs are dumb.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]

sometimes the questions are wrong to begin with...
View Quote

Hundy P
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Not sure if I'm going to get shit for this

The turquoise piece is a birdseye stone with some pyrite - picture doesn't begin to do it justice. The silver one is said to be a rendition of a raven.

https://i.imgur.com/bOnTRbc.jpg

Damn I may need those for when I practice law.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]

I skip a lot of them.

A) People rarely actually read what the OP wants
B) They just recommend whatever they own without listening to what the OP wants.
C) Half of the OPs are dumb.
View Quote

Exactly.

I recommended the OP some knives that fit what he asked for.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn it, they are spreading the drops out to buy themselves shipping time and let more people potentially get one. Had I known there was micarta coming I would have waited!

View Quote

What is that one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:36:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#16]

View Quote

That was the post that inspired me to put them up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I like church's as well. When I was a kid that was the closest chicken place and we rarely went out to eat but fried chicken is always good.

Chick fil a is pretty good but just lacks something. Popeye's has that crunch that reminds you of a cast iron pan full of oil on a stove burner.

My wife used to make chicken nuggets in the food processor and froze them after her mom got our kid hooked on nuggets and started asking for them when he saw the sign. She's since let up a little bit she'd much rather cook stuff than buy them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#18]
Approx. 30% whole wheat on the left, white on the right.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#19]

I like church's as well. When I was a kid that was the closest chicken place and we rarely went out to eat but fried chicken is always good.

Chick fil a is pretty good but just lacks something. Popeye's has that crunch that reminds you of a cast iron pan full of oil on a stove burner.

My wife used to make chicken nuggets in the food processor and froze them after her mom got our kid hooked on nuggets and started asking for them when he saw the sign. She's since let up a little bit she'd much rather cook stuff than buy them.
View Quote

That's a terrific idea. Does she happen to have a recipe she liked?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the corners knocked off of the whole batch and half of them rough ground today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]

That is really slick. I wanted a tritium tube for one of my Sebenzas but they are hard to find and pricy
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DFARM:
Got the corners knocked off of the whole batch and half of them rough ground today.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1592_JPG-1729930.JPG
View Quote

I like the shape. Looks like a good chopper.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By conndcj:

Overlooked this, sorry.  It is indeed flat.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

How's the new grinder working out for you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

https://i.imgur.com/whbMqNC.jpg
View Quote

Are these all of your non traditional folders?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

What is that one?
View Quote

Prometheus Design Works Invictus Integral Bolster Lock (IBL), in micarta.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Exactly.

View Quote

You're as kind as you are intelligent.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Hopefully you are not looking for a thumb disk knife, just because you have thumb disks now.

LOL, just sell the thumb disks or sit on them, you got a good deal on everything.

And the thumb disks should fit, might require a different size screw head IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]

I'm starting to think pie is a substantial chunk of your diet
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By enigma1:
My newest.............I think she's pure sex................

https://i.imgur.com/AKrAAyN.jpg
View Quote

I like it. What is it?

@enigma1
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]

I like the shape. Looks like a good chopper.
View Quote

Thanks!  They're really thin. I'm excited for them to get used a bit. The one I have in 1084 is a lot of fun.

I'm making 8 of these.  I'm hoping for 7 as gifts and one for myself.

How's the new grinder working out for you?
View Quote

It's been great.  Having a purpose built tool has made basically everything I use a grinder for(and then some) easier. The learning curve has been surprisingly short. It's basically just better than my old grinder in every way.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Thanks!  They're really thin. I'm excited for them to get used a bit. The one I have in 1084 is a lot of fun.

I'm making 8 of these.  I'm hoping for 7 as gifts and one for myself.

It's been great.  Having a purpose built tool has made basically everything I use a grinder for(and then some) easier. The learning curve has been surprisingly short. It's basically just better than my old grinder in every way.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Hopefully you are not looking for a thumb disk knife, just because you have thumb disks now.

LOL, just sell the thumb disks or sit on them, you got a good deal on everything.

And the thumb disks should fit, might require a different size screw head IIRC.
View Quote
No but it does sweeten the pot a little.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Still really nice knives
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Ostensibly nothing, at least in the terms of the old lore that hard steel can be assessed by "ringing" it. Shape & thickness etc. affect the tone though and this thing happens to be kind of bell like. I do like it though when using a tool if it has a nice ring.
View Quote

Ohh haha
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Exactly.

View Quote

I try to but then someone posts some absurd crap and the OP falls for it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#39]

https://i.imgur.com/whbMqNC.jpg
View Quote

Damn I bet those would have went perfect with dinner tonight
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:05:22 AM EDT
[#40]

That's a terrific idea. Does she happen to have a recipe she liked?
View Quote

She says 80/20 white meat to dark meat, salt pepper and Italian parsley. Food processor then cool to form them.

Bread like normal

Bake to set then freeze.

Pan fry when you're ready.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Are these all of your non traditional folders?
View Quote

Nah, five (I think) more at the office.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:18:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#42]

Nah, five (I think) more at the office.
View Quote

Edit: and a spare Ritter mini in the safe, and a couple used but new to me in the mail this week sometime to try out.

Edit 2: guess I hit quote, not edit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Looking good!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#44]

She says 80/20 white meat to dark meat, salt pepper and Italian parsley. Food processor then cool to form them.

Bread like normal

Bake to set then freeze.

Pan fry when you're ready.
View Quote

Thanks, will definitely give that a try.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Damn I bet those would have went perfect with dinner tonight
View Quote

Had a little help mixing the dough last night.

And with eating pancakes this morning.

Are all kids mostly nudists, or just mine? I swear they spend most of their day in just their underwear.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Spear, knife and axe in one picture. Setting a new bar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Looking good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Looking good!
View Quote

Looking good.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:06:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Had a little help mixing the dough last night.
https://i.imgur.com/kOP3Q86h.jpg
And with eating pancakes this morning.
https://i.imgur.com/7jrLNS5h.jpg
Are all kids mostly nudists, or just mine? I swear they spend most of their day in just their underwear.
View Quote

Careful now, CoC, sensitive mods, etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:06:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#50]

Spear, knife and axe in one picture. Setting a new bar.
View Quote

I wasn't even going to acknowledge him because he is making me feel inadequate in the steel department.
Page / 3233
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top