BCM
User Panel

Page / 3156
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I understand.

I'm a pretty simple guy (like simple Jack. Lol). I could probably rotate between some form of grilled chicken and rice and tater tot casserole for a couple of weeks and not hate it. Lol
View Quote

Definitely. We both do keto now so we eat pretty simple most of the time. We had bunless burgers from Steak and Shake tonight. Coffee for dessert.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:

I like it. This one is going to my girlfriend for Christmas but I may have to buy another.
View Quote

Unless you have one badass girlfriend that likes beefy knives, you may want to hold off on buying a second, the first might come back to you.

I have had several now. I am still tempted by them because I like you they look and the action. But practical for most of my uses they were not. Too beefy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

hmmm...let me see...

THE PO TAY TOES?!

All it is, is a vehicle for other yummy stuff. A hollow, starchy, bland, nasty vehicle. Fuck that noise.

I wasn't big on taters even before keto.

View Quote

It's pretty good with sweet potato tots too. I actually like it equally with either form of tot.

Talking about it this much makes me want to branch out a little. Maybe trying waffle fries instead of tots.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By maleante:

Just a bit...
View Quote

I actually like the look and the length, but at $300+, for a knife that I am fairly confident won't make it into my regular rotation, I'm not willing to take the chance.

As I recall, dodge223 is a proponent because he had to wait so long for them to be made again last time he picked one up. He likes his Persian, and he wants to see it as more of a regular item, maybe see some variations. Figures if he helps push the sale of them this time, his chances will improve.

I got that email from Emerson a few hours ago though, and they still aren't sold out. I bet they do sell out soonish, but not quick enough to make them a regular item. They have a following to be sure.

It is telling though that the Emersons have been selling so well, they aren't even making it past their own website to other retailers. Hard to come by these days. Part of it is slow down in production, part of it is awesomeness.

Gingerskanks would back me up on this if he hadn't gotten his pee pee slapped for posting naughty memes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]

It's pretty good with sweet potato tots too. I actually like it equally with either form of tot.

Talking about it this much makes me want to branch out a little. Maybe trying waffle fries instead of tots.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t think I have posted today’s pocket candy yet.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:18:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#7]

I actually like the look and the length, but at $300+, for a knife that I am fairly confident won't make it into my regular rotation, I'm not willing to take the chance.

As I recall, dodge223 is a proponent because he had to wait so long for them to be made again last time he picked one up. He likes his Persian, and he wants to see it as more of a regular item, maybe see some variations. Figures if he helps push the sale of them this time, his chances will improve.

I got that email from Emerson a few hours ago though, and they still aren't sold out. I bet they do sell out soonish, but not quick enough to make them a regular item. They have a following to be sure.

It is telling though that the Emersons have been selling so well, they aren't even making it past their own website to other retailers. Hard to come by these days. Part of it is slow down in production, part of it is awesomeness.

Gingerskanks would back me up on this if he hadn't gotten his pee pee slapped for posting naughty memes.
View Quote

This is close to true. I would like one with a wave feature! I also know it’s very specialized and will never be a mainstream item for them. That being said, in the lead up to my purchase, I saw them on various websites for sale. They were all scooped up quickly. Sometimes insane amounts. So there is a following for sure. You will also find my rant on the “first time Emerson owner shock” for the Kwaiken I returned. The P-Tac is unique enough with the cult following that I can over look the Emerson design philosophy. I grabbed one this time to flip in a few months.... maybe....

ETA: pocket dump
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Don’t know exactly why, but I’ve got a hankering for a front flipper.  Never had one and want to try one out.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking budget up to $150....it is mostly going to be a toy, so lower might be fine since I don’t really need top end steel, just needs to hold and take an edge decently.

Thinking thin “gentleman” type with drop point or kwaiken shape and a blade maybe around 3”ish

View Quote

That's a tough one.

Kizer feist and maybe a used  Boos Smoke may be the two that pop out the most
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:22:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

The wife and I ate a shitload of tater tot casserole as a young, poor couple starting out. It was cheap, fast and yielded leftovers to take to work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I understand not wanting to eat it because keto, but what is it about the tots that offend you so?

All of the ingredients separately are great, and they go well together (tots, meat, veggies, cheese and cream of chicken soup) I can't understand the hate for it. I can see if your parents forced it on you all the time as a kid and you just don't make it now, but to have a "thing" against it is odd to me.

The wife and I ate a shitload of tater tot casserole as a young, poor couple starting out. It was cheap, fast and yielded leftovers to take to work.

I make it about once every couple of months. Love it and it's super easy to make.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]

That's what everyone says. Lot of talk in the PDW community about the flippers on this one.

While I am a capitalist and don't give a tut for their whining about not not getting one when the flippers did, a fair point has been raised. To wit:

If these are going to sell for twice as much on the secondary right away, perhaps the retailer should be charging more up front. That way a company people want to support gets their money and flippers are less likely to do what they do.
View All Quotes

That's what everyone says. Lot of talk in the PDW community about the flippers on this one.

While I am a capitalist and don't give a tut for their whining about not not getting one when the flippers did, a fair point has been raised. To wit:

If these are going to sell for twice as much on the secondary right away, perhaps the retailer should be charging more up front. That way a company people want to support gets their money and flippers are less likely to do what they do.

It's tough. You want to get them out there but you're feeding an impossible secondary. Kinda like Hinderer was

It's a cool design
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:38:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DFARM] [#11]
It's an evening coffee kind of day today.

Attachment Attached File

I didn't get much meaningful work done on the kitchen knives yesterday. I only got the handle colors picked out for everyone (with help from the wife).

The coolest one (I think) will be for my sister.  1/8" yellow g10 behind 1/8" CF. Most of the others are going to be pretty plain
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbb2] [#12]
1. Tater tot casserole is delicious. And if you want to call it hotdish, I don't really care, it's still yummy.
2. That Persian looks awesome for about 95% of the knife, then you hit the butt end and it just falls apart.
3. That 0562 looks good, that's a nice snag.
4. Cheap front flippers are gonna come from Chy-na, but: Civivi Exarch, Kizer Feist, Real Steel Metamorph come to mind, I see them regularly on secondary.
5. Bought some paracord to try a few lanyards on the new arrivals. Needed something to do. May have to look for some cool beads next.
6. Haven't seen many ebony traditionals coming up lately though I do have one on the way, so to feed the addiction I grabbed this. It seems like it's not a real popular knife and is relatively cheap used, but it seems like a well put together knife to me. Might replace the clip with a milled one from MXG. The milling is nice, the action is great, and the wide handle feels really nice in the hand.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
In my mind 5 yards of thread sounded like a fair bit  Winter doppelbock is delicious though.

https://i.imgur.com/USmap2Q.jpg
View Quote

That is a cool picture.

Plus an elephant call back
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:
Emerson Persian in stock!!

Go now!
View Quote

Still there too.

Love the blade shape
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Unless you have one badass girlfriend that likes beefy knives, you may want to hold off on buying a second, the first might come back to you.

I have had several now. I am still tempted by them because I like you they look and the action. But practical for most of my uses they were not. Too beefy.
View Quote

I have an 0566CF and I have been thinking she might like that better but I didn't want to give her a used knife. I will suggest she take a look at it if she thinks the 0562 is too big.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell her it’s the distressed look, not used.

That’s what microtech does.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I'll remember that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#19]

I like it. This one is going to my girlfriend for Christmas but I may have to buy another.
View Quote

Solid relationship right there.

My wife just steals knives.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

That's a tough one.

View All Quotes
Don’t know exactly why, but I’ve got a hankering for a front flipper.  Never had one and want to try one out.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thinking budget up to $150....it is mostly going to be a toy, so lower might be fine since I don’t really need top end steel, just needs to hold and take an edge decently.

Thinking thin “gentleman” type with drop point or kwaiken shape and a blade maybe around 3”ish

That's a tough one.

Yeah, I leaning towards the Feist or maybe the civivi exarch (especially since it is $50 in D2). The lower priced Feist ($80) is in CTS-BD1N.  I like the simple lines of both of them.

I don’t have any experience with CTS-BD1N, but I am familiar with D2.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]
In theory a good D2 should have better edge retention than BD1N, but BD1N is stainless.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dodge223:

This is close to true. I would like one with a wave feature! I also know it’s very specialized and will never be a mainstream item for them. That being said, in the lead up to my purchase, I saw them on various websites for sale. They were all scooped up quickly. Sometimes insane amounts. So there is a following for sure. You will also find my rant on the “first time Emerson owner shock” for the Kwaiken I returned. The P-Tac is unique enough with the cult following that I can over look the Emerson design philosophy. I grabbed one this time to flip in a few months.... maybe....

ETA: pocket dump
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199220/82F8717B-E1A8-403F-879A-F25815DFE84F_jpe-1734670.JPG
View Quote

A wave might make me more inclined to consider it, but I think it would also mess with the lines of the Persian.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Properly heat treated D2 is decent.

Chinese D2... eh.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
My KittyPants brings all the girls to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right it's better than yours
I can teach you, but I have to charge

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#26]

https://i.imgur.com/gbe7qSM.jpg
View Quote

Everyone can now picture you in gym shorts, a button up shirt, white socks, and leather clogs singing that shit.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By maleante:

Everyone can now picture you in KittyPants, a button up shirt, white socks, and leather clogs singing that shit.

https://i.gifer.com/origin/09/09abef7b508396b875511a3dc7d41ddb_w200.gif
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#28]
FIFY
View Quote

My apologies. I thought kitty pants was code word for your underpants. I didn’t want to embarrass you buuuuut it looks like that ship has sailed already...

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#29]
lounge pants
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I don’t think I have posted today’s pocket candy yet.

https://i.imgur.com/ODub18gl.jpg
View Quote

Fancy
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#31]
It's an evening coffee kind of day today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1604_JPG-1734689.JPG

I didn't get much meaningful work done on the kitchen knives yesterday. I only got the handle colors picked out for everyone (with help from the wife).

The coolest one (I think) will be for my sister.  1/8" yellow g10 behind 1/8" CF. Most of the others are going to be pretty plain
View Quote

Take pics of the yellow /cf combo
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
1. Tater tot casserole is delicious. And if you want to call it hotdish, I don't really care, it's still yummy.
2. That Persian looks awesome for about 95% of the knife, then you hit the butt end and it just falls apart.
4. Cheap front flippers are gonna come from Chy-na, but: Civivi Exarch, Kizer Feist, Real Steel Metamorph come to mind, I see them regularly on secondary.
5. Bought some paracord to try a few lanyards on the new arrivals. Needed something to do. May have to look for some cool beads next.
6. Haven't seen many ebony traditionals coming up lately though I do have one on the way, so to feed the addiction I grabbed this. It seems like it's not a real popular knife and is relatively cheap used, but it seems like a well put together knife to me. Might replace the clip with a milled one from MXG. The milling is nice, the action is great, and the wide handle feels really nice in the hand.
https://i.imgur.com/rtrn11fh.jpg
View Quote

It's a Sinkevich design so you know it's going to be good. To me it reminds me of the Drunken's thiccer sister

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#33]

I have an 0566CF and I have been thinking she might like that better but I didn't want to give her a used knife. I will suggest she take a look at it if she thinks the 0562 is too big.
View Quote

The 566 is a little bit smaller in the grip but the 562 contours make it carry a little better.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Boom boom

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:56:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Properly heat treated D2 is decent.

Chinese D2... eh.

View Quote

Maybe....but I have more confidence with Civivi than some Chinese manufacturers  just because a lot of people have been happy with their parent company WE.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:18:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rbb2:
https://i.imgur.com/rtrn11fh.jpg
View Quote

That might be worse than the 470. Don't bother with the clip, just pass it along.

Also, word to the wise, Metamorph looks kinda cool, flips like shit. Geometry is all wrong.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]

Take pics of the yellow /cf combo
View Quote

No prob
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Maybe....but I have more confidence with Civivi than some Chinese manufacturers  just because a lot of people have been happy with their parent company WE.

View Quote

Eh. Fuck China. We will regret the day we ever sent the first dollar to those assholes.

It's very hard but I try not to buy any more things from them than I have to. I sure as shit ain't buying any more Chinese knives.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#39]
It’s unfortunate that the US fails to fill a lot of holes in the markets.

I sense a lot of tension from you this morning. Have you considered adding mushroom and pure cacao powder to your coffee?

Is it work?  I saw an article about 9 WFH jobs for introverts. I’ll share it when I find it again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Yeah, I leaning towards the Feist or maybe the civivi exarch (especially since it is $50 in D2). The lower priced Feist ($80) is in CTS-BD1N.  I like the simple lines of both of them.

I don’t have any experience with CTS-BD1N, but I am familiar with D2.  
View Quote

Thinking about it a bit more there's not really a huge selection in front flippers. There's a few at a lower price then expensive ones and not much in between
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]

https://i.imgur.com/gbe7qSM.jpg
View Quote

Hahaha those are kinda cool
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#42]
https://i.imgur.com/wvLKiB9.jpg
View Quote

Naked chicken shawarma?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#43]
yep
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Thinking about it a bit more there's not really a huge selection in front flippers. There's a few at a lower price then expensive ones and not much in between
View Quote

Particularly if you want to avoid China. I think any front flipper under $400 or so is probably coming from China (just a WAG).
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Continuing ed webinar lunch.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#46]

That might be worse than the 470. Don't bother with the clip, just pass it along.

Also, word to the wise, Metamorph looks kinda cool, flips like shit. Geometry is all wrong.
View Quote

Why do you say that? I know it gets bagged on for the weight, but other than that it is really well put together.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Hahaha. Nice move there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#48]
because it’s ugly as sin
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#49]

This morning I wasn't paying attention and when I was out and about I noticed my pocket clicking when I walked.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3156
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top