Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bug splatters?  Dry twigs and leaves snagged when passing by a tree blowing in the wind?
View Quote
Granted it has been over 40 years since I visited Wyoming, but I don't remember seeing any trees there.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Granted it has been over 40 years since I visited Wyoming, but I don't remember seeing any trees there.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bug splatters?  Dry twigs and leaves snagged when passing by a tree blowing in the wind?
In Wyoming, it's more likely to be twigs and leaves snagged from a tree blowing by in the wind.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Update 3/22

Well, the wind was and still is blowing.  It's Spring, so that's pretty normal.

The display box is just about complete.  We moved it out of the classroom till we are ready for it again.

She tells me she is just about done.  I told her I was going to take her brushes away if she didn't move on to the tender soon.

Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Somebody better get to sanding that rust and repainting stat!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Somebody better get to sanding that rust and repainting stat!  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a collection of admin and staff from another WY H.S. come tour our facility today.    

Always fun to hear my Principal give his tour guide speech as he comes around.    He does such a great job describing the projects.   I just sat back and listened as he talked about what was happening with our Locomotive display, as well as the taxidermy mounts in this area.  

The look on those peoples' faces was priceless.     Having a bloody badger being skinned in one of the classrooms was an extra....
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

-snip-

The look on those peoples' faces was priceless.

Having a bloody badger being skinned in one of the classrooms was an extra....
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Update 3/23

The drybrush technique is officially over for the locomotive.   At least, that's what I'm being told.   She's going to start work on the tender today.  

We thought we would have the whistle working yesterday, but there was a debate over whether there was a hardware problem, or a software problem.     There is some texting going on between my Robotics student, and Top_Men.  Wiring diagrams and photos, along with code are being exchanged.   Not sure Robotics will get to work on it today or not.   The Real Time Clock Module did come in the mail last night, so we have that to integrate also.

I know how much college kids like early mornings, so I'm getting updates from Top_Men right now on the situation.   He says he did get a copy of the code and made some suggestions and corrections to try today.   Hopefully we get to hear the whistle today.

The first suspension cables were installed yesterday, and I'm hoping our custodian gets a chance to put a few more up there today.  

These lucky children "volunteered" to help make firewood for the tender.   They were good sports about it.   They got quite a few bases constructed yesterday in the short time during class.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
That brass corrosion looks fantastic.  She did an excellent job - incredibly realistic.

Someone needs Brasso and a rag, and needs to polish the crap out of that brass.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Sunday Update 3/25

They interior details are about finished, but need the electronics placed before everything can be set.
We had a failure in getting the whistle going Friday.  We had a bad potentiometer,  and possibly a bad arduino or bad fan.  We got one of the drone motors going with our power source, but failed with the EDF.

We may have to move that faux lever a bit as I think it's going to I to interfere with the bell actuator.

Whistle patiently waiting.....

The tender getting attention.

The track got all set up, but then needed widening by an inch and a half.

Possible t shirt design ideas.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Locomotive Works tag.  Perhaps "Wyoming Locomotive Works"?

I've founded a Werke myself, so rather fond of that expression.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the Locomotive Works tag.  Perhaps "Wyoming Locomotive Works"?

I've founded a Werke myself, so rather fond of that expression.
View Quote
I like that too.   Over the next week or so, I'm hoping they can get a design narrowed down and refined.

The artwork is getting closer and using pictures of our locomotive and Heart Mountain(local landmark)  Also known for Heart Mountain Relocation Camp.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like we blew the EDF we were going to use for the whistle.

I ordered another one last night, and it should be here tomorrow.   We won't be getting the whistle going this week, as it's a short week(spring break Friday through Tuesday), and my robotics student is leaving early for Track.  

We are working on firewood for the tender right now, and the custodian is busy getting more cables installed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Just strap a freshman inside the boiler, and he/she can flow the whistle whenever an electric shock is applied.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Every time I click on this thread.......I am more impressed !
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just strap a freshman inside the boiler, and he/she can flow the whistle whenever an electric shock is applied.  
View Quote
This is an intriguing idea.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Every time I click on this thread.......I am more impressed !
View Quote
Thank you.    We are getting closer and closer to done on this.  We just need a few pieces to fall into place for us.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you.    We are getting closer and closer to done on this.  We just need a few pieces to fall into place for us.
View Quote
Guns, at this stage of the game, pretty sure you don't want to use that word.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Guns, at this stage of the game, pretty sure you don't want to use that word.
View Quote

Good thing the custodian always over engineers the system.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-snip-

The look on those peoples' faces was priceless.

Having a bloody badger being skinned in one of the classrooms was an extra....
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
freshman, or robotics student
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Update 3/29

Mural progress continues.......

We are still working on getting more yellowish color into the painted rocks.

We moved the tender out of the classroom, and down to where the locomotive is for finishing work and final details.

The wood pile grows.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Those rocks are looking incredible.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#24]
That is an outstanding job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#25]
That's a random stack of wood, in there. Probably true to life, too. (But them logs are looking good!)

I spot no, and I mean zero, unicorns in that there cattle herd. Didn't we talk about this?!!

Oh, Artists! /sigh/

Have the unicorn peaking out of the rocks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's a random stack of wood, in there. Probably true to life, too. (But them logs are looking good!)

I spot no, and I mean zero, unicorns in that there cattle herd. Didn't we talk about this?!!

Oh, Artists! /sigh/

Have the unicorn peaking out of the rocks!
View Quote

There is some real pushback from my studetnds to keep the two projects separate.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got off the phone with "Kristen" from Union Pacific.   I wanted to make sure my email wouldn't be trashed out of fear of a virus with all the attachments.   I sent her photos and some links to the videos of our progress so far.  I failed to get a hold of anyone in Cheyenne.   Either I had the wrong number, or they don't really want to talk to anyone on the phone.

I got a response back from her shortly after and an assurance that she would pass it on to internal stakeholders across the company.  

We will see if anything comes from it.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#28]
That mural is looking really good!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There is some real pushback from my students to keep the two projects separate.  
View Quote
I guess, since they did all the hard work, they may just have a point. (As opposed to us peanut gallery watchers from afar.)

And, there were no train parts on the Unicorn build, 'tis true.

(Note to self: driving to Wyoming & putting a MLP sticker up on the wall would not be time/cost effective.)

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
This is fantastic! What a talented group of you have!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Little more rust on the chains.  Firewood is going to get some rings soon.

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I just heard a nasty rumor that UP was switching from wood to coal on some of their locomotives, specifically in the # range 86-89.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool!
Are you going to have any Chooching audio just to make it skookum?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Sweet. Great job!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#36]
One of these things is not like the other...  
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, the front springs are not the same as the back in the references we looked at, if that is what is being pointed out.  My guess is most of the weight of the coal would be towards the back where the larger springs are.

The real problem with the tender is, the suspension is the later version for a coal tender, not a wood tender.

If we are talking about the squished top spring, they grew a little when they absorbed the black paint.  It definitely isn't perfect.   We might be able to adjust them a bit before we call it done.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Cool!
Are you going to have any Chooching audio just to make it skookum?
View Quote
No.

There is going to be enough noise from this thing with out that added too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just heard a nasty rumor that UP was switching from wood to coal on some of their locomotives, specifically in the # range 86-89.  
View Quote
There must be something in the water.......

Even though we discussed the differences in class between coal and wood fired locomotives of this series, I've had three different students and one teacher ask why we don't have coal in the tender instead of wood.

Coal would be a better tribute to WY, but the smoke stack just looks better on the wood fired trains, and of course, that's the most important thing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Powell Locomotive Works never disappoints.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Powell Locomotive Works never disappoints.
View Quote
I like that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I imagine the PLW logo looks a lot like this.

Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#44]
So......when are shirts available

Gotta raise money for the fall semester
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So......when are shirts available

Gotta raise money for the fall semester
View Quote
I'm trying to get the kids to get us a few more concept designs before we narrow it down.

Spring Break till Wednesday.....   it doesn't look like spring outside right now.  Road closures....complete whiteout.....20F, and the wind is gusting like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm trying to get the kids to get us a few more concept designs before we narrow it down.

Spring Break till Wednesday.....   it doesn't look like spring outside right now.  Road closures....complete whiteout.....20F, and the wind is gusting like crazy.
View Quote
Um, excuse me, but does Whyoming look like that 13 months out of the year?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Um, excuse me, but does Whyoming look like that 13 months out of the year?
View Quote
That is probably a very true statement.

Today is one of those scary WY days.   It's the get lost in the whiteout blizzard and end up dead in a snow drift.......   100yrds from your truck type of days.    In other words. .....just another WY spring day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Today I got an email from Rachel in Nebraska, at Union Pacific Headquarters.  

She was forwarded the email I sent last week.  They are going to write and publish a story about our locomotive on their employee website.

That should be pretty neat.  If I get a link I can share I will.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Today I got an email from Rachel in Nebraska, at Union Pacific Headquarters.  

She was forwarded the email I sent last week.  They are going to write and publish a story about our locomotive on their employee website.

That should be pretty neat.  If I get a link I can share I will.
View Quote
Looking forward to it
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Guns762...this build is AMAZING!! job well done to you sir and all those involved...1 request..more pics!
awrsome stuff at every level!
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top