User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ben ...I'm 62.

The Navy PFT only goes up to 50-54.

So....that means I have to pass that age group I guess.

Also, don't you give a choice between the run and swim?
View Quote
Hey XxSLASHERxX,
I found a 2019 navy phsical guide that goes up to 65.  PM and I'll try and send it to you.....If I can find the link again, I'll add it here.

EDIT: Found it.  https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide%205-%20Physical%20Readiness%20Test%20%20OCT%202019.pdf
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
How the heck do I find places to hike while geared out?  I might have some people interested when it warms up, but I don’t even know where to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I doubt he will go for this and it seems to be part of the “barrier to entry” and a good one at that. He told me via PM that a local range which has a monthly scaled-to-100-yards HighPower Service Rifle event would be a handicap so I can’t imagine the 22LR 25M Appleseed would.

However doing an AS would make you more than capable of the maximum MOA required to score 70% when you go to a real event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Ben

what are your thoughts about allowing achievement of Rifleman score at an Appleseed event to qualify for 2nd class/1st Class?  If verified by an Appleseed instructor, of course.  The course of fire is modeled after NRA high-power course of fire.
I doubt he will go for this and it seems to be part of the “barrier to entry” and a good one at that. He told me via PM that a local range which has a monthly scaled-to-100-yards HighPower Service Rifle event would be a handicap so I can’t imagine the 22LR 25M Appleseed would.

However doing an AS would make you more than capable of the maximum MOA required to score 70% when you go to a real event.
The issue is more than being able to shoot groups of a given size...it is being able to read and adjust for wind conditions in the 200 to 600 yard distances.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there a central place to report qualifying people/events?
View Quote
There is, but we haven't gone completely public yet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How the heck do I find places to hike while geared out?  I might have some people interested when it warms up, but I don’t even know where to go.
View Quote
Just wear a backpack and carry a sledge hammer.  No big deal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I get that hiking is great exercise, I was just under the impression that the Battle Buddies were going to be a more practically focused version of GoRuck.  By that I mean "train like you fight" full-gear shakedown marches that include fieldcraft rather than "sack full of weights" exercising.

I carried half my bodyweight around in the Army and now I'm into Ultralight so packweight discussions make me #triggered lol.

I'll still check out the local Florida group once it gets hammered out, you can't get too much exercise.  It would be nice to meet up with some locals regardless and have some fun.  I support everything you guys have done so far, and I'm not trying to come off as critical with any of this, I just had some misconceptions.

View Quote
Your initial impression was closer to reality than your second take.

However, baby steps. Right now we have posted guidance for people just getting started. More is coming, along with individual and team stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need an alt standard for rough terrain.  All the trails around me go up and mountains.

It’s either that or we use roads.  And I don’t want to use roads if I can avoid it.

Some kind of adjustment factor for vertical elevation gain.

I have a great place for hikes nearby but it starts with a 600ft to 1100ft elevation gain.  It’s part of the AT.

I hop the border and wear it out twice a week in the summer.
View Quote
Let me talk to a couple folks and we will revisit that. Trying to keep it simple as possible at the start.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Let me talk to a couple folks and we will revisit that. Trying to keep it simple as possible at the start.
View Quote
FWIW, the Navy guide that was posted shows an under 5000' elevation and over 5000' elevation chart.  Where I live there isn't a flat spot for 120 miles, but imo that just means that I need to be able to handle my home terrain under the proposed limits.  The easy qualifier is that these are the standards, meet them in your AO.

That said, I had my lungs burned in a propane explosion years ago. I can't even walk around and talk on the phone without being a little winded, and I fully intend to meet these requirements.  They really aren't that bad.  If an old guy with no lungs at 6500' can do them, there aren't a lot of excuses.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ve seen this sentiment as well as one about a group for people who can’t hike.

I can’t lift and can’t do that navy test and need to get my ass in shape to do it. I also can’t walk 3 MPH uphill and I am going to get my ass in shape to do if.

If we aren’t willing to exercise and deal with a little structure, are we really going to show up when it matters?

This is why I haven’t even bothered asking my normal “go to” guys about starting a BB group in south central VA. If they couldn’t show up for either Richmond rally in the last 6 weeks, or any of the Commitee hearings in the last 3 weeks, do I really want to count on that guy showing up at 0300 when I need his ass to help me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm shitposting... but this seems like a lot of work OP.

To the average guy, this could be a bit too structured and involved than what he's willing to go through to be honest.  Just my opinion
I’ve seen this sentiment as well as one about a group for people who can’t hike.

I can’t lift and can’t do that navy test and need to get my ass in shape to do it. I also can’t walk 3 MPH uphill and I am going to get my ass in shape to do if.

If we aren’t willing to exercise and deal with a little structure, are we really going to show up when it matters?

This is why I haven’t even bothered asking my normal “go to” guys about starting a BB group in south central VA. If they couldn’t show up for either Richmond rally in the last 6 weeks, or any of the Commitee hearings in the last 3 weeks, do I really want to count on that guy showing up at 0300 when I need his ass to help me?
I think you have the wrong idea.   I'm not knocking the battle buddy premise, but the "training" structure.  Most of us have 9-5 jobs, families and a lot of other things that take precedent when considering new hobbies/ventures.

The time constraints have us woefully low on the ability to jumpstart into a "Adult Boy Scouts" type of hobby, as great as it would be.  Super structured, practice-involved and a ridged curriculum is fine when you dont have much else to do in your free time.  Most of us have a couple minutes here or there at best.

I think a better way to go about training would be to emphasize informal gee-wizz mentoring and guidance.  Most adults don't have enough time and mental bandwidth to devote to a highly structured curriculum.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, don't take it that way.. I'm just saying you may have better success with recruiting by being more flexible.  Careers, wives, kids... all that eat away what little free time adults have.  I love your concept though
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think you have the wrong idea.   I'm not knocking the battle buddy premise, but the "training" structure.  Most of us have 9-5 jobs, families and a lot of other things that take precedent when considering new hobbies/ventures.

The time constraints have us woefully low on the ability to jumpstart into a "Adult Boy Scouts" type of hobby, as great as it would be.  Super structured, practice-involved and a ridged curriculum is fine when you dont have much else to do in your free time.  Most of us have a couple minutes here or there at best.

I think a better way to go about training would be to emphasize informal gee-wizz mentoring and guidance.  Most adults don't have enough time and mental bandwidth to devote to a highly structured curriculum.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, don't take it that way.. I'm just saying you may have better success with recruiting by being more flexible.  Careers, wives, kids... all that eat away what little free time adults have.  I love your concept though
View Quote
This is, in practice, meant to be only very loosely structured. The stuff that appears overly structured is necessary for a variety of reasons to identify folks who have accomplished a level of competency that has a multitude of uses.

Other than the physical hiking, everything posted so far could be accomplished in a single dedicated weekend- inclusive of the medical cert classes, radio tech license, and rifle match.

The beauty of it is that nothing requires you to achieve a certain level of competency in anything- they are in general guidelines, not rules.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
STOP SLEEPING.

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is, in practice, meant to be only very loosely structured. The stuff that appears overly structured is necessary for a variety of reasons to identify folks who have accomplished a level of competency that has a multitude of uses.

Other than the physical hiking, everything posted so far could be accomplished in a single dedicated weekend- inclusive of the medical cert classes, radio tech license, and rifle match.

The beauty of it is that nothing requires you to achieve a certain level of competency in anything- they are in general guidelines, not rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, neat.  Glad I was a bit off on my assumptions then.  Consider this thread subscribed
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I am 54, just did a 9+ mile hike with a 20lb pack in grueling terrain that included scrambles, cliffs and potential death.  I also had to drive 3 hours to get to the trailhead.  My point, if you put your mind to it and you are healthy even older folks can do this stuff.  It just takes training, preparation and mental fortitude.  My sammich maker did it too.  She is also 54.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
45lbs is a lot of weight for the lightweight backpacks that I currently own. Not sure they'd make it through a ruck.

Recommendations that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
45lbs is a lot of weight for the lightweight backpacks that I currently own. Not sure they'd make it through a ruck.

View Quote
Tag for answers. I put 45 pounds in the backpack that has been serving as my range bag for the last decade or so and it was not pleasant. I’m guessing something with an internal frame would be indicated?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm surprised you're in a thread started by a Virginian, the idea originating in Virginia, and gaining serious momentum after Lobby Day in Richmond.

If you're not wanting to participate, great, leave these threads to those that are interested. We can all come up with excuses not to do this and those of us that are willing to put in the effort will.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The LA Police Gear LNT is big, comes in at $49, and has been used by at least one NOVA Battle Buddy for a few weeks without issue.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm in the same boat.

If armor, LBEs, helmets, and other typical equipment counted for weight I could use my gear that I have now.

Since they don't, if I want to qualify I'll have to purpose-buy a pack that won't be usable with my real gear because of the belt, and put freeweights into it since none of my real gear is heavy enough to weigh out a pack like that.

This seems to be the opposite of train-how-you-fight, and it requires me to purchase gear that will have no other use for me outside of exercise-based marching.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Sigh, I'm fucked till I get me a new knee sometime this year. It was all I could do to hobble from the bus to capital square on lobby day and all I had to carry was a pistol, jug of water, and a chair.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My PE is in Aerospace Engineering. But, I can do an almost passable job on comms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

I wonder if the Engineer rating will require a PE, or just an ABET degree and a job in the field.
Lol.  Let's not get lost in the weeds until we start the land nav.  IMO, if you do engineering related to the tasks required, it counts.  I'm a structural guy.  We could really use some people to set up networks and repeaters.  An appropriate engineer in that field should definitely use the title.

Again, IMO.
My PE is in Aerospace Engineering. But, I can do an almost passable job on comms.
Space Battle Buddies!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tag for answers. I put 45 pounds in the backpack that has been serving as my range bag for the last decade or so and it was not pleasant. I’m guessing something with an internal frame would be indicated?
View Quote
Two answers:

Properly packed a LA Police Gear 3 day pack works fine, it's what I use now and have used for years of 3 gun and recon matches. Shoot, current marches are done with a bag and a half of #7.5 shot in the pack to add extra kidney misery

A good plate carrier mitigates a cheap pack even more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm surprised you're in a thread started by a Virginian, the idea originating in Virginia, and gaining serious momentum after Lobby Day in Richmond.

If you're not wanting to participate, great, leave these threads to those that are interested. We can all come up with excuses not to do this and those of us that are willing to put in the effort will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to come up with ways this program would be possible for everyone, not just retirees and single guys with no career.

I would love to participate if this program gets off it's feet, but be honest.. there needs to be time flexibility for us regular guys.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks!

In case y'all are still working on the naming thing, I'd like to propose:
- Freedom Corps (my favorite)
- American Freedom Corps (however "AFC" is already used by the pickup artist community LOL)
- Free Americans
- Society of Free Americans
- Brotherhood of Free Americans
- American Hikers
- American Hiking Club
- American Hiking Corps
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm trying to come up with ways this program would be possible for everyone, not just retirees and single guys with no job.

I would love to participate if this program gets off it's feet, but be honest.. there needs to be time flexibility for us regular guys.
View Quote
It is possible, you simply have to do it. There's guys who come from far and wide to hike with us on week nights. People have kids, jobs, and other responsibilities but they make it work. Hell, half the hikes Ben comes straight from work and doesn't make excuses. If you don't want to put out the effort, don't. If you want to, get a group of guys together, set some dates, and get the miles in. It really is that easy once you put your mind to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry if this sounds like I'm shitposting... but this seems like a lot of work OP.

To the average guy, this could be a bit too structured and involved than what he's willing to go through to be honest.  Just my opinion
View Quote
That's (part of) the point. Summer Soldiers can do their own thing. This is for "The Few. The Proud."
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm trying to come up with ways this program would be possible for everyone, not just retirees and single guys with no career.

View Quote
I am probably the weakest of the nvbb and you're making it sound like I'm super hardcore. I have a job, two kids and a real angry wife on top of it. Not sure what to say.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Seriously dude? I have two kids, I work a rotating 12.5 Hour shift, weekly bible study on weeks I actually have Monday night off, and a wife who also expects me to do a full time share of household responsibilities in spite of the work hours. And I am stoked to do this. I am dragging her along on a hike this weekend as part of provisional status.

You might be looking for a MeetUp.com hiking group or something, not BATTLE buddies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.

If armor, LBEs, helmets, and other typical equipment counted for weight I could use my gear that I have now.

Since they don't, if I want to qualify I'll have to purpose-buy a pack that won't be usable with my real gear because of the belt, and put freeweights into it since none of my real gear is heavy enough to weigh out a pack like that.

This seems to be the opposite of train-how-you-fight, and it requires me to purchase gear that will have no other use for me outside of exercise-based marching.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.

Sandbags will work better than free weights. Weights will dig into your back. Look at something like this from Dueter.

I bought my son a Dueter a couple of years ago, and the quality for price is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sigh, I'm fucked till I get me a new knee sometime this year. It was all I could do to hobble from the bus to capital square on lobby day and all I had to carry was a pistol, jug of water, and a chair.
View Quote
When you get your new knee they're gonna tell you not to do shit like that anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It is possible, you simply have to do it. There's guys who come from far and wide to hike with us on week nights. People have kids, jobs, and other responsibilities but they make it work. Hell, half the hikes Ben comes straight from work and doesn't make excuses. If you don't want to put out the effort, don't. If you want to, get a group of guys together, set some dates, and get the miles in. It really is that easy once you put your mind to it.
View Quote
If we're talking strictly about hikes with weight, I do that regularly.  I was referring to training classes and such during business hours

Edit bowing out of this thread, dont want to derail your thread OP.  Good premise, hope it becomes something great.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I make a living by owning a business with three employees, it's an engineering firm and I'm the only engineer.  I also partially own a construction company and I do much of the planning and management of that company.  And I have 7 kids.

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Seriously dude? I have two kids, I work a rotating 12.5 Hour shift, weekly bible study on weeks I actually have Monday night off, and a wife who also expects me to do a full time share of household responsibilities in spite of the work hours. And I am stoked to do this. I am dragging her along on a hike this weekend as part of provisional status.

You might be looking for a MeetUp.com hiking group or something, not BATTLE buddies.
View Quote
Exactly. These guys get it. I have a 7 month old baby, I live 40-60 miles from the NOVA crew, and have a fairly demanding job as a senior manager of a prominent company yet, I make the time, ruck the weight, take on the challenges, and look to improve myself and my fellow battle buddies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sandbags will work better than free weights. Weights will dig into your back. Look at something like this from Dueter.

I bought my son a Dueter a couple of years ago, and the quality for price is outstanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.

Thanks for the tip, seriously. I know it seems like I'm bitching but I'm all aboard.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Ben
Do you want to keep track of any startups at this point?  On the way back from Richmond we had already talked about our own version of the VBB. At this point we already have a small group and after talking with them today we all would like to go forward with your standards.

The only obstacle we may have is the NRA match stuff.  If anyone is already involved in NRA hi power rifle in the Greenville SC please message me. I realize its not a requirement but who doesn’t want a excuse to shoot more.

Guys I realize some of the standards and time commitments may seem a bit much but what is all this worth to you?  I saw what these guys accomplished at the rally.   Not only were many man hours of planing and personal money spent but jobs were put on the line.  What’s being proposed is nothing compared to that IMO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thank you so much brother.. I downloaded it for future reference.   You are a very considerate person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ben ...I'm 62.

The Navy PFT only goes up to 50-54.

So....that means I have to pass that age group I guess.

Also, don't you give a choice between the run and swim?
Hey XxSLASHERxX,
I found a 2019 navy phsical guide that goes up to 65.  PM and I'll try and send it to you.....If I can find the link again, I'll add it here.

EDIT: Found it.  https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/21st_Century_Sailor/physical/Documents/Guide%205-%20Physical%20Readiness%20Test%20%20OCT%202019.pdf
Thank you so much brother.. I downloaded it for future reference.   You are a very considerate person.
Naa....just literally, right behind you and had the same thoughts because the original link didn't have the info, so my google fu worked....I can't find crap on arfcom, but in the wild, I'm not bad... ;)
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ben
Do you want to keep track of any startups at this point?  On the way back from Richmond we had already talked about our own version of the VBB. At this point we already have a small group and after talking with them today we all would like to go forward with your standards.

The only obstacle we may have is the NRA match stuff.  If anyone is already involved in NRA hi power rifle in the Greenville SC please message me. I realize its not a requirement but who doesn’t want a excuse to shoot more.

Guys I realize some of the standards and time commitments may seem a bit much but what is all this worth to you?  I saw what these guys accomplished at the rally.   Not only were many man hours of planing and personal money spent but jobs were put on the line.  What’s being proposed is nothing compared to that IMO.
View Quote
Are referring to a group outside of the thread in our HTF?  If so we need to all get on the same page.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Two answers:

Properly packed a LA Police Gear 3 day pack works fine, it's what I use now and have used for years of 3 gun and recon matches. Shoot, current marches are done with a bag and a half of #7.5 shot in the pack to add extra kidney misery

A good plate carrier mitigates a cheap pack even more.
View Quote
Myself and another local member have already met and done a preliminary 3 mile hike. I wore my armor and put the balance of the required weight in my pack, that was before I read the rules and there were only two of us, anyway. That honestly wasn’t too bad, but just walking around the house, all the weight in the pack makes a huge difference, especially with a shit backpack. From that, I can see why armor will be dealt with separately, it’s waaay easier to carry that weight. Anyway, I’m not sure I’m up to the pack and the carrier right out of the gate. So I’ll buy a better pack and add it to the pile of gear. I’ve certainly spent more on stupider things.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I've picked up a bunch of mil stuff off of e-bay.  I also picked up the Molle II frame and straps with waist belt.  It rocks and can take a load.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've picked up a bunch of mil stuff off of e-bay.  I also picked up the Molle II frame and straps with waist belt.  It rocks and can take a load.
View Quote
Better get some blister bandages ready, the first 3-4 hikes rocked my feet. I had some pretty sweet blisters having not rucked in 10+ years
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ben

View Quote
I HOPE Ben is keeping track, we'll have our first official hike for the I'llAnnoy boys this coming weekend....
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.

16 boxes of 12 gauge #8 shells and 1 5 lb handweight makes exactly 45 lbs.

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Something like this is what I have gotten off of e-bay...

YOu have to do your homework and ask to make sure it's not something thats crappy and moldy, but what I got was good.  NOTE: I didn't order from this guy, this is just an example of what's available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-ACU-MOLLE-II-LARGE-RUCKSACK-MAIN-PACK-COMPLETE-w-3-DAY-ASSAULT-PACK-VG-/123924526895?hash=item1cda7a372f
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#49]
these standards seem very reasonable, not easy, but reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm in.  My son is in.  My wife is partially in as well!

Look - I travel for work.  I have an insane 60-80 hour a week job, a 14 year old who is in sports, a daughter that's leaving for college in the fall, and all of the normal maintenance/upkeep stuff that we all complain about.  But I am *determined* to become part of this org.  I saw on Lobby Day the amazing power of us all united and this is the only way to grow that energy and power.

100% in!
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top