User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Boquerones FTMFW
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:54:15 AM EDT
[#2]
For me, they were just too salty.
I'd eat them if they were on a pizza, but when you hit that salt mine,  .
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
A really long time ago, I worked in a Noble Romans Pizza Pub as one of the guys in the window flipping pizza.  ALL of us HATED making anchovy pizzas cuz of the stink.  One pie would stink the whole kitchen for a half a hour or so. As my daughter sez, "eeeeewwwwwww"! Tom, the owner, hated them cuz of the cost.  I guess those little fishies are expensive.  Who knew?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
One per slice.   Any more is just too salty.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was a child.  My folks went on vacation and left my brother and I in the care of our aunt and uncle.   We started to get hungry, and my uncle said that we were going to have pizza.   We were pretty excited about that.  Our only experience so far with pizza was what our mom made.   Or frozen pizza.   We couldn't figure out why he hadn't made the dough yet.

So we ask him about it because we were starting to get hungry.   Then our uncle said that he was going to order it and have it delivered.  We were in shock, because we had never heard of such a thing.  We couldn't believe it that you could order pizza and then have it delivered to your house!!   We were excited beyond belief.  

So the pizza finally gets there.  We dive into the first slice.  It tasted like dog poo.  We were like what the heck is this?   Uncle said, it's got anchovies on it.   We had no idea what that was, as we had never heard of it before.  

Going from total excitement to utter disappointment in such a short time.   Never again.   The only way that I will eat an anchovy is in a ceaser dressing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]
As a child of the 80s im sure that TMNT had something to do with me trying them, but I love canned fish.  Herring, Sardines, all of them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it. Anchovies and mushrooms is my jam. It really is going to depend on the quality of the anchovies though.
View Quote

Yep. If they're old you will never try them again.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell No!
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite pizza topping bar none.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Never tried them on a pizza
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
and good for you
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FPNI

Anchovy and mushroom pizza is my favorite!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like it. Anchovies and mushrooms is my jam. It really is going to depend on the quality of the anchovies though.

FPNI

Anchovy and mushroom pizza is my favorite!

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
There's only one thing I won't eat on a pizza.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Never tried, and to be honest, not sure I’ve ever even seen them as an option around our parts. I’d like to try them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Anchovies are fish bait not food
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anchovies and pineapple on a large Chicago style pie
View Quote

A yup!

Reminds me of pepperoni and green peppers pizza 10 years ago, all ky friends said WTF?, and now, that's all the ads.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love them, but they are easy to overdo.

Mushrooms, anchovy and crumbled bacon with plenty of chopped garlic for me please.
View Quote
Too many and it ruins the pizza. MY buddies dad had a pizza shop.   I would only get anchovies if I could put them on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't mind anchovies. I mind the absolute overkill I've had in the past. The whole pizza tastes like salt and little else. They should be applied sparsely.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Anchovy pizza challenge to win a run spot at Cola Warrior Flyover
(wife)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Roasted garlic
Caramelized onions
Anchovies
Olives
Gruyere

Link Posted: 1/29/2024 8:19:36 AM EDT
[#22]
J. Giles was right on this one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Had pizza at Mellow Mushroom last week.

Thin crust with anchovies, the mushroom trio, roasted red peppers, and artichoke hearts.

It was divine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Anchovies/sardines are nasty fucking old people food.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Is that anchovies and Ramen? She's a trooper!
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Anchovies are gross.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Most pizza makers don't do anchovies right.  They are supposed to be broken up and scattered around the pizza.  Most lazy pizza makers (like Papa Johns) just lay them out in strips like another topping, and that leads to a concentrated salty taste that overwhelms any other toppings.  I know of literally ONE pizza maker within 100 miles of me who does it right, and he's the son of genuine Italian immigrants.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#28]
who are the freaks that will eat a greasy fish flavored salt pill yet will disrespect the glory of fresh pineapple and yummy ham on a pizza
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m actually surprised at the poll results. Had no idea so many liked them on pizza. I gotta try it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most pizza makers don't do anchovies right.  They are supposed to be broken up and scattered around the pizza.  Most lazy pizza makers (like Papa Johns) just lay them out in strips like another topping, and that leads to a concentrated salty taste that overwhelms any other toppings.  I know of literally ONE pizza maker within 100 miles of me who does it right, and he's the son of genuine Italian immigrants.
View Quote

Could I just get my own and chop them up and add later?
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
That’s a no go for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.  A lot of grocery stores sell small jars of chopped anchovies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Try putting them on your pizza after it is cooked. This is the best way to have them on pizza. As mentioned before, if cooked, it’s just a salt pill.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Anchovy, shrimp and onion on a white with olive oil

working in a pizza shop, you got bored with the regular pizza menu

cheesebuger pie with pickles!
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’m actually surprised at the poll results. Had no idea so many liked them on pizza. I gotta try it.
View Quote

Just don’t use too many.  That’s the most common mistake.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to try it.  I hate pineapple on pizza
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Blended into the sauce is the way to go.  If put on top they should be cut up, if not diced, and used sparingly.  Most pizza places fuck up their use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd argue that it is better to have them cooked in with the rest of the ingredients.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#39]
It's not for me but I do make my own caesar with anchovies and we make puttanesca from time to time.  I like them and they have their place but not pizza IMO.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I tried once, in Rome...a miscommunication with a waiter that barely spoke English (I didn't expect him to but it's nice when they do) meant I ate a pizza with anchovies on it. I ate bc I was hungry and everything in Europe is stupidly expensive so I wasn't buying another. I wouldn't choose to eat again, if I had the choice, but if I'm hungry and that's the only option, I will choke it down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#41]
A pizza place screwed up my order one night when I was out of town for business.  I didn't check the pizza before the delivery guy left like I should've.  Yep, Anchovies.  I tried picking the fish bait off but the funk stayed on there.  Went to bed hungry that evening.  Disgusting!  I'd rather have pineapple on my pizza - and that's saying something.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good but too salty. Anchovies are basically flavored salt.
View Quote

So are pretzels, Frank's Red Hot sauce, gravy, popcorn, fish sauce, mustard, and any other number of foods and condiments.

Forgot to list caviar, smoked oysters, soy sauce, ...
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#43]
For some reason I don't like them on my pizza but I do like them on the side
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Anchovy paste in the sauce worked at plenty of pizza places as a kid growing up
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The biggest issue with anchovies on pizza is that most pizza places use low-quality anchovies, and they put too much of them on the pizza.  The best way to do them is chop them up fine and mix them into the sauce.

But if used sparingly on a pizza with several other toppings, they can still be great.
View Quote

Agreed.  They buy the cheapest available, and when they open a can the workers want to get rid of the whole can as soon as possible, so they over -do it.  They are like jalepneos - you gotta space them out so they blend with the other toppings, cheese, and sauce.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have done that but not quite as good as cooking them in with the whole pizza.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I can tell you from an experience in 1988 that there is no such thing as anchovies on one half of the pizza.

The stink/taste migrates through to the other 1/2 of the pizza and ruins it, too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!  I can see how that would be the case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Never tried it but I want to. Pole inbound.

I like real ceasar salad, I like canned salty fish, we use anchovie paste for dressing. How could it be bad?
View Quote

[color=#ff7700]"Never tried it but I want to. Pole inbound.'' [/color] ????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#50]
no.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top