Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe this belongs in the "Embarrassing confessions" thread but...

I kinda want to buy a Nerf pistol and paint it Warhammer style.

A Scipio Navy perhaps, maybe a Tronvasse.

Or a Hercuter Model 10.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to this thread I have been balls deep in 40k books for months. No interest in playing the game or building models but the universe and lore are amazing.

I've burned through about twenty novels so far and most of Arch Warhammer's videos. One of things I really like is how deep the lore is. After twenty books and hours of videos I feel like I'm just getting a handle on things. Its awesome.

The sheer madness and absurdity in the universe is a blast. So thanks to those who started this thread and kept it alive for turning people on to 40k.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks to this thread I have been balls deep in 40k books for months. No interest in playing the game or building models but the universe and lore are amazing.

I've burned through about twenty novels so far and most of Arch Warhammer's videos. One of things I really like is how deep the lore is. After twenty books and hours of videos I feel like I'm just getting a handle on things. Its awesome.

The sheer madness and absurdity in the universe is a blast. So thanks to those who started this thread and kept it alive for turning people on to 40k.
View Quote
Dude, read the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Dude, read the Eisenhorn Trilogy. Trust me on this.
View Quote
I did. Its awesome.

So far I've read the Ragnar Blackmane books, Grey Knights series, several of the Space Marine Battles novels, Helsreach, Battle of the Fang, Watchers of the Throne and Carrion Throne. Along with a bunch more.

At some point I'll tackle Gaunts Ghosts and the Horus Heresy series.

I'm finishing up Ashes of Prospero now and next up will be Garro Weapon of Fate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did. Its awesome.

So far I've read the Ragnar Blackmane books, Grey Knights series, several of the Space Marine Battles novels, Helsreach, Battle of the Fang, Watchers of the Throne and Carrion Throne. Along with a bunch more.

At some point I'll tackle Gaunts Ghosts and the Horus Heresy series.

I'm finishing up Ashes of Prospero now and next up will be Garro Weapon of Fate.
View Quote
Check out "Storm of Iron". I read it when I was about 13 and it got me into the world of 40k. Really good plot. Gaunt's Ghosts series is excellent as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Helsreach 12

HELSREACH Part 12 A Warhammer 40k Story
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's see your Kill Teams!

Just got my guys painted up, going to play my first game this weekend after I get all the scenery painted up.

The Grey Maniple; 100 pts.

Leader- Actus 882
Sniper- Cyrax 511
Combat- Tybar XIX
Zealot- Rhox 79
Vanguard Gunners w/ Plasma Calivers:
Kor 66
Ifel 83
Dox 92

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got the Yarrick and Armageddon omnibuses this week, working my way through them now.  Started with a few of the Horus Heresy books the PX had on one of our runs back to KU in 03, and by now I have a pretty full shelf of 40k!
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
I just watched 1-12.  They're really good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!  Did you roll for the names on the tables?
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks! Yes, sometimes I added a letter or changed a number but otherwise I rolled their names and demeanors from the book.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A reboot of Gorka Morka might be on the way.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/14/speed-worth-waiting-for/
View Quote
I love how the video is like a Lexus ad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
which one of you guys is this?

slav squat track suite necron.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
which one of you guys is this?

slav squat track suite necron.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91913/41312876_10213815731329870_5416788916646707200_n-672732.JPG
View Quote
That picture makes me unreasonably happy!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 - Faction Trailer
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#19]
So if one was so inclined to read these books where should one start?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So if one was so inclined to read these books where should one start?
View Quote
For 40k, either the "Gaunt's Ghosts" series, "Eisenhorn," or "Dante" for Space Marines.

For 30k, the legendary history and background of the setting, start with "Horus Rising."

ETA:

30/40k is an epic setting more than anything, with many concurrent and diverging storylines.

Gaunt's Ghosts is about human riflemen, basically WW1 in space.

Eisenhorn is almost a noir style detective series.

Dante follows a boy from childhood to command of one of the most famous and powerful chapters of Space Marines.

Horus Rising kicks off the 50+ book "Horus Heresy," series, which, with a few exceptions, is an epic Greek tragedy in space.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 2:06:54 AM EDT
[#21]
First space marine?

Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First space marine?

https://i.imgur.com/AMJJcY7.jpg
View Quote
The Storm Shield gives him a 3+ invulnerable save.
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I just want necromunda back!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just want necromunda back!!!
View Quote
Isn't it already back tho?
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered my first Armiger Knight off fleabay for $35.  Hopefully it's not a damn recast.
Then, I'll start making 3D printed parts.

Attachment Attached File

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone here play White Scars?  I was thinking about starting another army this fall and that a bike-heavy force would look cool.  But wow do the bikes look pretty lackluster on paper.  Just wondering if I'm way off base here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anyone here play White Scars?  I was thinking about starting another army this fall and that a bike-heavy force would look cool.  But wow do the bikes look pretty lackluster on paper.  Just wondering if I'm way off base here.
View Quote
I know ravenwing force was popular, it has lots of bikes and speeders.  not sure if scars had own rules or people just copied ravenwing.

here is a white scars army
scars
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#28]
At one point in time, when I still had mini-painting and modding skills, I wanted to make an entire army of Chaos Noise Marines just out of principle. Maybe paint the army commanders up like KISS or GWAR or something and the rest of the army looking like they stepped out of a hair metal video. Just out of principle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
At one point in time, when I still had mini-painting and modding skills, I wanted to make an entire army of Chaos Noise Marines just out of principle. Maybe paint the army commanders up like KISS or GWAR or something and the rest of the army looking like they stepped out of a hair metal video. Just out of principle.
View Quote
If GW ever releases noise marines you can bet everything you find holy and pure that I'm making an Emperor's Children force with five lieutenants modded and painted up to look like Iron Maiden, led by a Daemon Prince Eddie 'bashed from a Space Wolves Murderfang kit.

ETA: Seriously, tell me this guy isn't based on Eddie.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If GW ever releases noise marines you can bet everything you find holy and pure that I'm making an Emperor's Children force with five lieutenants modded and painted up to look like Iron Maiden, led by a Daemon Prince Eddie 'bashed from a Space Wolves Murderfang kit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just bill it as the most awesome concert in the Galaxy and it's free for all IG members.

Then Rock. Their. World.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Richard Boylan put up an awesome Live Action short today.

(He's the one doing the Helsreach fan fiction)

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I have to admit the minis they make today are incredible. I rage quit after the death of 2nd Edition when GW killed off the Squats, my chosen race. Something about pissed off space dwarves and their allies: Hobbit snipers just made me happy.

So, of course, I'm not allowed happiness and had to be Squatless.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Richard Boylan put up an awesome Live Action short today.

(He's the one doing the Helsreach fan fiction)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E
View Quote
The Emperor protects!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#38]
My gaming group is planning a three-night weekend at the end of January to fight a campaign.  I stumbled across an unopened box of the old Planetary Empires set that's sadly out of print now that I had forgotten I bought years ago.  I think we'll be working up a map campaign from that starting out with Killteam games and working up to several larger 40k games.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#39]
IS there a list somewhere of every GW product and Black Library publication for 40k (and 30k)?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Dam that looks cool.  wish a real 40k blockbuster movie would be done.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
IS there a list somewhere of every GW product and Black Library publication for 40k (and 30k)?
View Quote
the catalog listing of current stuff you usually have to email a vendor for, gw makes them agree to that.  as for the books.

there is no super resource as stuff out of print tends not to show. but someone made this.  you have to zoom to see it, and it was current till feb this year, so its missing some.

books
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No kidding.  With as desperate as Hollywood seems to be for inspiration a fairly well developed universe with a loyal fan base seems like easy money.

Plenty of political overtones to be had, a horror sci-fi is ready made (Soace Hulk style), and tons of series with characters (Gaunts Ghosts).  Hell you have a cop drama in Eisenhorn

Im frankly suprised it's not done
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Seems to me like 40K would be a really good universe to derive high quality campaign based first person shooter online games from.

But a board game with set pieces?   That's truly not my thing.  Great if it's yours, though.  No hate.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems to me like 40K would be a really good universe to derive high quality campaign based first person shooter online games from.

But a board game with set pieces?   That's truly not my thing.  Great if it's yours, though.  No hate.
View Quote
they have a bunch of video games, some are good, some suck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I saw this on r/grimdank, and I laughed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You can blame Matt Ward for the Sphess Romans being largely hated by neckbeards everywhere. If he didn't go on about how "They are the best at everything!" and completely fanboy over them in his codexes, I think there would be a lot less disdain from the 40k community for the smurfs.
View Quote
To some degree, they have had a level of disdain since 2nd edition rules in the 1990s, when I started playing. They were seen as the bland choice for beginners.

But yes, I agree about the relatively more recent Ward inspired hatred.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Freaking awesome!.

Would someone undertake to explain what all is going on in that video?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I wasnt able to find it in this thread, even though I KNOW someone posted it.  What is the complete series of books from beginning to end and are they good reads?  My new job allows me about 6 to 7 hours of reading time at night and all the books at work suck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wasnt able to find it in this thread, even though I KNOW someone posted it.  What is the complete series of books from beginning to end and are they good reads?  My new job allows me about 6 to 7 hours of reading time at night and all the books at work suck.
View Quote
Gaunts Ghosts is about 14 books.  it's decent.  Life and times of an imperial guard regiment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Freaking awesome!.

Would someone undertake to explain what all is going on in that video?
View Quote
Its really hard to describe everything but the basis is.

Some background.

During the 30K, the Emperor of Mankind has named his favored son, Horus as Warmaster while he goes back to Holy Terra to do whatever God Emperors do.  Horus nearly dies during a pacification of a system and basically pledges his soul to the Chaos gods to live on.  He convinces his brother legions to turn against the Emperor.  (9 out of the original 20 + a couple Titan Legions)

The World Bears traitor legion whom have pledged their service to Chaos (Khorne) in this video are attacking Calth, a World in Ultimar Segmentum under the protection of the 13th Legion, the Ultramarines (Sons of Guilliman).  Basically its like Peal Harbor in space.  An attempt to take out a very powerful army loyal to the Emperor in a surprise attack.  The traitors descend upon the world in drop pods and start killing everyone they can.  The Ultramarines (blue) rush to the defense of their world and people, including the a few company Champions, squads of Terminators and everyone they can find.  Near the end, the techmarines awaken a Contemptor Dreadnought (They basically sleep until needed, this guys probably been sleeping awhile and seeing Astartes vs Astartes is unthinkable, so hes pissed - plus he has a Plasma Cannon and hundreds of years of killing experience on his side.

At the end there are a pair of Warhound Scout titans.  Hard to tell if they are traitor but I believe they are.  Horus gets bored and basically lets these guys roam around in packs killing civilians and military targets at their leisure since it takes a city leveling amount of firepower to bring one down - or a bigger titan.  Those are the little guys and cant survive orbital bombardment like the larger Warlords and Emperor Class titans.

This battle killed 100,000 Ultramarines.

While all this land warfare is happening, in orbit a massive battle between the loyalist ships vs the traitor ships and demons rages on resulting in the destruction of the Furious Abyss.  (One of 3 super OMG capital warships built in secret for the traitor legions that can destroy planets without batting an eye)

So thats a very small needle in a very large haystack of 30K - The Horus heresy that eventually leads up to the current 40K universe with the God Emperor confined to the golden throne where he sucks the lifeforce out of a 1000 psychics every day to live and power the Astronomican.  (Basically an ungodly bright light house in the Void that allows Warp Travel).

The Horus heresy led to somewhere around 5 Trillion killed.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top