Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Moonbat liberal at work takes off the solstices and OMG he was already sharing his hotel plans for this coming eclipse back three years ago. The guy appears dead nuts rational but. But in 15-20 years nobody has seen him or heard him talk about dating a woman (or man for that matter) but dolts on his nephew. He takes the solstices off often making a 3 or 4 day weekend out of them. He took the whole week off for that last eclipse. He's not an astronomer or photographer. He takes off for Comic Con in San Diego annually too. I think just some sort of really dangerous wierdo.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep reading about this.

Do millions of people have that little to do ?

Hell my little brother told me to take the day off so I can leave my house at 6 am to get a good spot to watch it

Uh no, I’ll be going to fucking work. I’ll watch it wherever I’m working that day .

Is it neat ? Sure

Is it worth driving ten minutes ? Nope . Let alone hours
View Quote

The guy I described above is a native Californian who travels to these things. I would not feel comfortable with my kids near him. Crazy smart intellect and normie appearance would make him a capable predator.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whats going to happen when all those people return home and find squatters living there?

View Quote

Every visitor illegal alien will have their U-haul rented for that date.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There was a solar eclipse in the northwest about 6 month ago and nothing happened. Could it be that the government is trying to get a cattle drive going in hopes of a stampede? After all if people aren't stampeded how will government control them?
View Quote

That was an annular eclipse.  Not a total eclipse.  Entirely different beast.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where are these guard CBRN units?

View Quote

Every state has one, all AGRs as well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:url=https://www.astronomy.com/observing/20-of-the-best-places-to-view-the-2024-great-north-american-eclipse/]Best Places to view the 2024 Great North American Eclipse[/url]
View Quote
Sinaloa Mexico ??
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It’s a few minutes of shade. I truly can’t understand people coming from across the country to watch a shadow.
View Quote

100% me.

I love a party just like the next guy but I'm not going to travel to see the shadow.

Now the Humongous Fungus festival is worth traveling for certain!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Wayne and Ontario counties are both preparing for lots of traffic in the area.  We're pretty much on the border of both counties.  I'll be working that day, but I'm close enuf to I90 that I can ride my ATV up to it and give some traffic reports.  Gonna be a traffic shitshow the weekend before, and in the 4-8 hours afterwards.  Our house is in the path of totalitiy, so we don't need to go anywhere to see it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
You all won’t think these preps are funny when the poles shift.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  That was an annular eclipse.  Not a total eclipse.  Entirely different beast.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m in Delaware OH and I think we are close to totality, I’ll have to check. We will be coming back from a week in SC that weekend.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#11]
It will only be like 35 percent for me this time, but I was in the path for the 2017 one and it was fine in town, but my buddies that were doing traffic control for the guard in the mountains said it got stupid with all the people going out on BLM land.  Lots of heat casualties and stuck cars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
We're in the path of totality or whatever they're calling it and every motel room and camping spot is booked solid.

We really don't have the restaurants or other services to handle the influx of Yankees/dipshits they're expecting so it's probably going to be a mess.

Local authorities are advising everyone to get gas and groceries early so they don't have to be out on the roads while the crowds are here.

The latest weather forecast is predicting rainy and cloudy weather that day so it may really be a let down for folks that have never seen it get dark before.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Apparently, I'd have to drive a while to get OUT of the 100% zone.

They had the PGA Championship a couple miles from me so I doubt we have much problem with the eclipse spectators.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Flyover North America for the Total Solar Eclipse of April 8, 2024

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
The small town to my south has ran electricity to hastily formed camp sites in their community park.

They are gonna cash in. At least they think so.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're called Civil Support Teams or CST's. They consist of Army and Air National Guard personnel who are ready to go 24/7/365. They support all kinds of events in their state and in other states if need be. They respond to CBRN events and other events as needed. They can do search and rescue and BDA as well. 63rd CST responded to one of the OK tornadoes last year to do a damage assessment. Any time a national level event occurs, whether a disaster type event or a planned event like the super bowl or large political event, a CST will be there. They'll be working the eclipse in all impacted states but it's nothing to be concerned about. It's SOP for them. Nothing nefarious.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The small town to my south has ran electricity to hastily formed camp sites in their community park.

They are gonna cash in. At least they think so.
View Quote

Every town around me is having some kind of 3 day weekend event.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I heard all of this BS a few years ago during the last total solar eclipse.  The area of totality passed by about 30 minutes from me.  We drove over there to see it and it was pretty amazing.  Traffic was busy but it wasn't anything crazy.  Not apocalyptic like the media made it out to be.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can understand them, telling the locals to stock up on food because there may be huge shortages. Many people could get stuck in locations for long periods of time and buying snacks and foods and gasoline put in a huge strain on local supplies.

I think the security they're talking about in the articles, aregoing to be Amplified by 20x's after the Moscow terrorist attack.
View Quote

But why? Why would anyone be stuck some place. If there’s no gas (highly unlikely) just go to a different station or a different highway exit.

Is there no fast food in Indiana? Limited grocery stores? I’m sure nobody is going to starve.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Emergency Management officials have been preparing for this event for 2 years at least. They've been doing ROC drills and TTX's as well. They're expecting an influx of people greater than their infrastructure and support systems were designed to handle. That's why they're telling their residents to stock up. They expect to have so many people they'll overwhelm the local supply chains. They're bringing in Porta John's from all over. Forest Service has discussed closing some back country roads to keep people from going back there and getting lost or stuck. Don't know if they're going to do it or not though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We're in the path of totality or whatever they're calling it and every motel room and camping spot is booked solid.

We really don't have the restaurants or other services to handle the influx of Yankees/dipshits they're expecting so it's probably going to be a mess.

Local authorities are advising everyone to get gas and groceries early so they don't have to be out on the roads while the crowds are here.

The latest weather forecast is predicting rainy and cloudy weather that day so it may really be a let down for folks that have never seen it get dark before.
View Quote
At least you're not gonna get the assholes from NYC into your area.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucking LOL, an "elite" NBC unit, what fucking joke especially with the NG, image all the broken NBC shit piled up in their connexs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#23]
What if it rains that day?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd love to travel north a bit to see it but I think traffic will be a nightmare
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#25]
JADE HELM '24:  APOC-ECLYPSE
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't get it, going to be a non-event other than getting dark for a bit, and then light again.

I've been through a couple in the last few years, the last one I was floating in the pool drinking beer after a morning dove hunt.

The next one, I'll be on the golf course
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Insert Nelson meme "HAHA!".
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm in the path of totality, and any Arfcommer is welcome, but you aren't sleeping over. My girlfriend and I will probably be drinking Dr. Pepper Zero and Flor de Cana.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
my house is in 100% .  i'll step outside
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Doom thread
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]
The problem is that the solar radiation escaping around the moon during an eclipse is coming at us at a much higher energy, much like water through a garden hose sprayer.  The earth's magnetic field normally protects us, but it's at low level and was depleted by the recent double-X solar flare impingment.

I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
JADE HELM '24:  APOC-ECLYPSE
View Quote

I FRIGGIN KNEW IT
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There is a world of difference between 98.68% and 100%.  98.68% of a total eclipse makes you miss 99.9% of the experience.
View Quote

just put on some really dark sun glasses.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

100% me.

I love a party just like the next guy but I'm not going to travel to see the shadow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s a few minutes of shade. I truly can’t understand people coming from across the country to watch a shadow.

100% me.

This! The hype over an eclipse is 100% dumb. Enjoy your 30 seconds of shade.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will get postponed a week, duh.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:06:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#37]
These turkeys will stare at the sun thinking an eclipse is the end of the world. What a bunch of dummies. We need you Darwin.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Literally.  We won't have another one in this country for about a hundred years.  And it is an amazing experience that you have to see to understand.  I saw the one in 2017 and it was incredible.  Two on one continent so close together is incredibly rare.

You miss this one, you'll never see one again.

Partial eclipses aren't rare, but comparing partial eclipses to total eclipses is like comparing, oh, I don't know, a go-kart to a Ferrari.
View Quote

I show 6 in the next 75 years
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#39]
So, just to confirm, we STOP the human sacrifices when it goes dark?

Or is that only in the path or totality?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Smells fishy.
View Quote

But when it’s been awhile…
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Good advice cloaked in fear mongering.

I live inside the path and will be stocked accordingly. Of course, I don't need an eclipse to have two weeks of supplies. I can't imagine not having a month of food and fuel on hand at any time and I am a fucking poor.
View Quote

Eh, expecting the county population to grow by a factor of 5-8 for a few days, may make it difficult to conduct credit card transactions, phone calls, gasoline etc. its information for the people who like to live with 3 beers in their fridge and gas tank on E.  It’s basically a disaster declaration for the communities with no outside help to accommodate a huge surge of people. Traffic alone is expecting to make driving 4 times longer.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Officials cause shortages by telling public to hord?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh ffs

We had one like 7 years ago? I dont remember the panic and hysteria, nor did my daughters school close for the day (they did this year)

I think they’re overhyping this a bit
View Quote

They were predicting the same kind of apocalyptic travel/congestion problems for Missouri for the '17 eclipse, but it never really came to be.  Sure, it was busy and I imagine there were some hot spots here and there, but I think most of the people going to the trouble to travel to experience it are probably smart enough to get there early and leave late.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I show 6 in the next 75 years
View Quote

I just checked.  From now until 2100 there is only one that goes over the states or Canada, and it's not for another 28 years.

EDIT:  OK, I missed one, 2 in the next 75 years.  There's another in 21 years.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEdecade/SEdecade2021.html
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I love eclipse threads. Always full of people that have never seen a total one and have no idea what it's like.

"Oooo it's gonna get shady for 30 seconds... Oooo".

And "I've seen a dozen of em in the last 20 years, no big deal." Yeah... You've seen partials. They aren't that big of a deal.

No, it's not going to get shady. It's going to get DARK. Like, Stars come out, Dark. The sun is a black hole in the sky. It gets cold. Animals freak out. You want to kind of squat and hug the ground.

A partial eclipse, even 99.9% is in a completely different world from a Total. If you've never seen a Total eclipse, you've never seen an Eclipse.

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Literally.  We won't have another one in this country for about a hundred years.  And it is an amazing experience that you have to see to understand.  I saw the one in 2017 and it was incredible.  Two on one continent so close together is incredibly rare.

You miss this one, you'll never see one again.

Partial eclipses aren't rare, but comparing partial eclipses to total eclipses is like comparing, oh, I don't know, a go-kart to a Ferrari.
View Quote
2044 and 2045 are the next CONUS, but 2044 has a pretty limited path.  Still a long time, especially for those of us who weren't born yesterday.

https://time.com/4897581/total-solar-eclipse-years-next/
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I love eclipse threads. Always full of people that have never seen a total one and have no idea what it's like.

"Oooo it's gonna get shady for 30 seconds... Oooo".

And "I've seen a dozen of em in the last 20 years, no big deal." Yeah... You've seen partials. They aren't that big of a deal.

No, it's not going to get shady. It's going to get DARK. Like, Stars come out, Dark. The sun is a black hole in the sky. It gets cold. Animals freak out. You want to kind of squat and hug the ground.

A partial eclipse, even 99.9% is in a completely different world from a Total. If you've never seen a Total eclipse, you've never seen an Eclipse.

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.
View Quote

People just don't get it, man.

Yeah, "I saw a partial eclipse once, big whoop.  I'm not driving 30 minutes to see a total."

Might as well say, "I found a $100 bill on the ground once, it wasn't that great.  What's the point of cashing in this winning Powerball ticket, it's just a little more money.  Not worth driving to the gas station for."
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top