Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Deere 330, 420, 430, 425, 455 are what I consider "garden tractors."  They were primarily mowers, but built heavy enough to do other work.  They were essentially commercial grade.  IMO if there isn't a PTO or 3 point, or provisions for them, it's a "lawn tractor."

They were still too light to do any "real" ground engaging work.  I have a 430 - 20 hp Yanmar diesel.  It weighs 1200 lbs.  It has a differential lock, a Sunstrand hydro, front and rear PTO, and a cat 0 3 point hitch.  While the snow blower will throw snow 30 feet, I have to put an additional 600 lbs of wheel and suitcase weights on it along with chains to actually move the snow blower.  It will pull 2 rippers through sod(just deep enough to break through, or a single ripper much deeper for burying wire etc), or a single bottom plow with front weights.  It's very effective with a PTO tiller compared to a plow. It has no problem pulling the kind of disc you see sometimes pulled behind ATVs and UTVs.  You can grade gravel with a 4' box blade, but not with any amount of ripper engagement.

If it was 4x4, it would be able to do significantly more, traction is it's biggest failing and weights can only get you so far.

People still pay $3, $4, even $5,000 for these machines even though they're 20-30 years old because the cost of a modern equivalent is over 2x as much.
View Quote

Very helpful, thanks!

I’d love an x700 series but was wondering if they can actually do much gardening. Sounds like it’s still pushing it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My mother’s 18hp John Deere does an awesome job. I can’t see anyone need much more than that for a personal garden.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don’t doubt a 1025 could do a good job.

But I’m talking about this type.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49556/8F9DFD99-9CAD-48DC-AF3E-C97FFDD092DA_jpe-1938273.JPG

View Quote

It doesn't look like the disc is doing much if anything. I use a 70s Ariens rear tine tiller for garden. JD 590 for grass and snow.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very helpful, thanks!

I'd love an x700 series but was wondering if they can actually do much gardening. Sounds like it's still pushing it.
View Quote
My biggest recommendation is 4x4.  I don't know anything about the x700s.  If I was going to buy anything in that kind of money, I'd get what they're now calling sub compact utility tractors.  Unless running a tiller is literally it for what you mean by gardening.  Then I'm sure the x700s would be fine.

But invest in weights if you're going to push or pull anything in the ground.

I've also pretty much decided the idea of a multipurpose machine that mows the lawn and does utility work is pointless and I'll never be without a ZT dedicated to cutting grass regardless of what kind of tractor I buy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think back in the day they were direct drives, maybe tougher than a small hydrostat.
View Quote
my ariens GT17 has a direct drive pto front and rear on it.  Hydrostat trans, cat 0 three point, chevron type tires wheel weight plus a weight box for when you have a snow plow, or the snowblower on it.  If I went ahead and filled the tires with beet juice it could do literally anything I need it to do in a garden.  Now if I even have a reason to work anything larger than a half acre, I will buy/rent or borrow a "real" tractor.  something more like a 35horse kubota or so

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two small tractors, JD 425 and IH 154. Both are much more capable than any regular lawn mower with but they won't do much dirt work in this area. SCUTs really struggle here too though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Garden tractor " in todays terms is essentially a glorified lawn mower.

"SUV" in todays terms is essentially a glorified station wagon.

Marketing sleight of hand.

Like those tiny new Broncos.
View Quote
New Bronco isn't tiny. It's about the size of the original Bronco, and kinda looks like it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
shit. just get a good ztr. plow, disk or blade anything you want then
View Quote
Hell yeah man.  I put a 6' box blade from harbor freight on my ZTR and maintain my 400' gravel driveway that hasn't been graded in 25 years.  I'm looking at a 6' disk harrow next.  ZTRs can do anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of these...John Deere 4200.  It's around 22hp if I remember right...has a class 1 3-point hitch, 4wd, and for it's size can do quite a bit of work.  I don't think I'm fooling myself....for what I need it to do, it's great!  

'
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think many people are farming with their garden tractors but some people need more from their mower than just mowing and a compact tractor would be overkill. Those people buy garden tractors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a Ford NAA to do gardening , help with cutting wood and general property maintenance. I’ve got about 3200 into it so far and that’s with fixing her up and getting a boom pole and a dirt scoop. I’m actively looking for a used single bottom plow and a disk plow. Used implements can be found for around 100-200 dollars if you look . It helps I live out in the country and there are a lot of farmers that just let the old stuff rot away. They will usually sell old implements cheap just to get rid of them in my experience!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hell yeah man.  I put a 6' box blade from harbor freight on my ZTR and maintain my 400' gravel driveway that hasn't been graded in 25 years.  I'm looking at a 6' disk harrow next.  ZTRs can do anything.
View Quote

exactly. an upper end ztr is rated to tow 750 lbs. they are more than sufficient!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

exactly. an upper end ztr is rated to tow 750 lbs. they are more than sufficient!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure your sarcasm meter is broken...or maybe mine is
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

was just seeing if anyone remembered an old thread that just died off with no updates. for a sensible chuckle.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Box-Blade-For-ZTR-or-SxS-/5-2437197/
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The OP mentioned the Sears catalog. I have a couple (down from a few) of the Craftsman / Kohler 18HP horizontal shaft GT's I love to fart around with. Pulling cars that need to be moved at my pops' place, reparking trailers, light duty tilling, mowing, dragging gravel, etc.

If the unit doesn't have sheetmetal fenders, hoods, grills, etc., I wouldn't push it too hard. These have the 6 speed HI/LO trannies that are nearly bulletproof.

Once in awhile I cruise around the block and get lots of waves from neighbors / kids, gardeners working, etc. They are fun just to putz around with.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
shit. just get a good ztr. plow, disk or blade anything you want then
View Quote
I understood that reference
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
My 1973 cub cadet has turned more land into useable space for whatever purpose, mowed more lawn that anything today could, pulled more loads in the trailers it's had hitched and pushed more snow that anything could ever dream of today. All on a 10hp Kohler and a set of chains for the back tires. That thing is a work horse. Grandpa bought it new back then with every attachment available and I've still got most of them. Though it's not worked very much these days here in the Florida sand. New England dirt was a bit tougher to work.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Garden tractors can do light ground stuff. Not sure if people really think they are gonna pull a 6' box behind them or their ZTR but a 36" powered tiller should be fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My BX series Kubota can turn over some dirt so long as I run an appropriately sized tiller.
View Quote

Yep, for most residential work I do you can't beat the BX..

Front end loader
Backhoe
Bushhog
Boxblade
Grader
Belly mower
Finish mower
Auger

Used it this weekend to auger 20 12" holes, then spread and grade the spoil across the yard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like the old John Deere 318/322/332 series garden tractors.  All the features of a big tractor in a small package.  (Yes they had a PTO that would twist your arm off)  the frames and drivetrain are very stout and they had no issue doing their intended job, whether it was plowing, tilling, mowing, lifting.  I have seen people routinely use these old workhorses well beyond their stated limits.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20201003_193509-1895230.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/130046/20200924_085913-1895231.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Here's the 420 I just bought. 3 point and rear pto.

I'm going to try the tiller in sod later this week.

The lawn/garden tractors of today are not what they were 30 or 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Not necessarily, JD bigger x series can handle limited garden type work.

Not SCUT type work, garden.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 1968 Allis Chalmers garden tractor. I have the mower deck, plus a 1 bottom plow, tiller, snowblower, push blade, disc, and a cultivator. There were options for a sickle mower, post hole drill, smogger, and a front loader. I've probably missed a few attachments.

It has surprising power for a single cylinder B&S 10 hp engine. It has an iron driveshaft, belts are used only to drive the accessories.

I use it to plow and disc my garden. I use the tiller when the dirt is soft, and the rocks were picked out of it.
The cultivator is a small spring tooth I made, it doesn't work too well in the garden, it needs some tweaking.  It does a nice job of working up the driveway before smoothing. It's like using a box scraper except in 2 steps.

Not my picture or video. People organize "plow days" where a bunch of garden tractor owners get together and plow a decent sized field. Skip to about the 3:00 mark in the video to see them run.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don’t doubt a 1025 could do a good job.

But I’m talking about this type.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49556/8F9DFD99-9CAD-48DC-AF3E-C97FFDD092DA_jpe-1938273.JPG

View Quote

I pull one of those behind my 4 wheeler to disc up the riding arena for the horses...
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105781/20210302_124827_jpg-1938345.JPG

View Quote

Nice score!  Agreed, "garden tractors" today are a joke.  At least the 300/400 series had PTOs, a 3-point and 2-3 hydraulic circuits
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Garden Tractors don't have the weight to do much more than mow and pull a small trailer. And the fact that most don't have four wheel drive doesn't help.

This is my favorite tool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My 1973 cub cadet has turned more land into useable space for whatever purpose, mowed more lawn that anything today could, pulled more loads in the trailers it's had hitched and pushed more snow that anything could ever dream of today. All on a 10hp Kohler and a set of chains for the back tires. That thing is a work horse. Grandpa bought it new back then with every attachment available and I've still got most of them. Though it's not worked very much these days here in the Florida sand. New England dirt was a bit tougher to work.
View Quote

My neighbor has a 72. The rear axle looks like a Dana 44.  LOL
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

was just seeing if anyone remembered an old thread that just died off with no updates. for a sensible chuckle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats gold, thanks for the link
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll admit I'm not up on their newer offerings but they don't appear to be on the same level as the older models which were heavier and designed to run implements.  

I think the small garden tractors (what used to be labeled garden tractors anyways, not mowers with a hitch) make a lot of sense for some areas such as the south but not for areas that have harder, rockier soils such as out west.  They make sense for folks who are working an already established area as well.  I know they were popular around here with folks who own small tracts and maybe have a large garden, you still see a fair number of them around so they obviously hold up well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My granddad had both. The big tractor was for the fields. The garden tractor was for his garden. He had plows and attachments for breaking, covering, and tending the garden rows.

Former employer was the same way, he had a large farm (for SC) in another part of the state with large tractors but had a John Deere garden tractor for around his house.  It had a rear PTO and hydraulic hookups and he had several attachments for it and the rear tires were even water filled.  I've known a couple of other people that used them around their houses and large gardens.  As someone else said, I don't think the newer models have the frame setups and connections that allow for all of the useful attachments.

The BX series from Kubota and what ever JD has all have a real deal 3 point hitch, you can have a front end loader on it too, then you can add a belly mower. They are very versatile if you don't need a 40 hp tractor or larger.

When my little JD 130 dies I am going to get a compact tractor for my house

The BX series is still a small tractor and JD's offering is the same.  JD used to make the 317, 400 and some other models back in the '60s/70s/80s that looked like a riding mower but actually had factory options for a PTO, hydraulic fittings, frame mounting points for a front loader or blade, 3 point hitch, etc.  They used to offer them in diesel versions as well.

JD has a hydraulic PTO on the x700 series, the x500 series has a belt driven PTO for a tiller. The x300s are heavy duty lawn mowers vs their big box 100 series. The 270 is a hybrid between the x300 and 100.

Kharn

I'll admit I'm not up on their newer offerings but they don't appear to be on the same level as the older models which were heavier and designed to run implements.  

I think the small garden tractors (what used to be labeled garden tractors anyways, not mowers with a hitch) make a lot of sense for some areas such as the south but not for areas that have harder, rockier soils such as out west.  They make sense for folks who are working an already established area as well.  I know they were popular around here with folks who own small tracts and maybe have a large garden, you still see a fair number of them around so they obviously hold up well.

A x700 wil cost you almost as much as a legit tractor, I think they're for guys with 1-3 acres and a pre-built shed vs a pole barn, or who want a loader and hoe when they have money to burn to plant the wife's petunias.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#29]
You can do a lot with a Deere 20-25HP (Diesel) X758, 455, 430... Those are super garden tractors with Cat 1 or 0 3 point hitches, accommodate a front loader, rear PTO...
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Garden tractor

Attachment Attached File

Not garden tractor

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#32]
calm down son.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't doubt a 1025 could do a good job.

But I'm talking about this type.

View Quote
They will do a lot more work than you give them credit for.  They are small for small jobs.  Yes lot of photo's will make it look like they are able to do bigger work than anyone would ever use them for.  But for your average 5000-30,000 sqft yard they are more than enough.  You dont need to rip 6-12" deep.  If you go more than 1-2" you are going going to deep. Even with a PTO roto-tiller going more than 4-6" deep is more than most ever need to go.  They are only surface working the soil.  

People often think that you have to have a massive over kill tractor to do a job.  Dealers love to up sell you on what you need when buying.

I've gotten 1000's of hours in every type of tractor from CUT's to 400+ tracked tractors.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Garden tractors of 30 to 40 years ago weren't the "riding mowers" of today.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
One of the very few garden tractors.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58657/Gravely_Model_L_jpg-1938212.JPG

The Gravely Model L.  There were a total of 70 attachments available.  I took my grandfather's after he died and it was a monster.  A single stroke engine with a piston literally the size of a coffee can.  Nothing but a live pto with enough torque to do anything and absolutely no safety equipment.  One beautifully dangerous piece of equipment.
View Quote

I love the zombie chopper out front
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Smallest we ever had was a John deere 2210. It was a nice little tractor did 90% of what we wanted but we hooked up a 5ft tiller to 1 one day and after about 1/2 an acre the rear end left the building.

Deere totaled it.

We stepped up to a 790 35hp which is perfect sized for home use.

Honestly I hope I can find a 990 40hp tractor when I'm ready to buy. I almost bought one last month for 15k but I don't have a real use for it
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#38]
My garden tractor is a 33 hp New Holland.  No way i would go smaller.  60” implements are common and economical.  It is great in the woods as well.  Mowing large fields and moving a lot of earth reveal its limitations.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have one of these...John Deere 4200.  It's around 22hp if I remember right...has a class 1 3-point hitch, 4wd, and for it's size can do quite a bit of work.  I don't think I'm fooling myself....for what I need it to do, it's great!  

'https://d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.net/i/a/2016/20160427ag/hires/L7453B.JPG
View Quote

I think those are awesome! I’d love one!

I’m talking about the Sears GT6000 series or whatever; with no PTO or hydraulics, a sleeve hitch at the rear, and a dinky little Brinley plow or disc
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105781/20210302_124827_jpg-1938345.JPG

View Quote

Post pics and let us know how it worked!!!

How many hours on it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah i doubt it.   Mine is 22hp and the most i do with it is pull a plug aerator.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A x700 wil cost you almost as much as a legit tractor, I think they're for guys with 1-3 acres and a pre-built shed vs a pole barn, or who want a loader and hoe when they have money to burn to plant the wife's petunias.

Kharn
View Quote

That’s me to a T
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You can do a lot with a Deere 20-25HP (Diesel) X758, 455, 430... Those are super garden tractors with Cat 1 or 0 3 point hitches, accommodate a front loader, rear PTO...
View Quote

Once you get newer than the x495/x595 series you cant put a loader on the front anymore. X7 is a no go.

I still run a 455. Till a few gardens in the area every spring for friends and neighbors with my 42 hyd tiller attachment.
Today I picked up a rear PTO kit to install to run a PTO generator.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't doubt a 1025 could do a good job.

But I'm talking about this type.

View Quote
North Georgia red clay here.  That thing isn't going to do anything but bounce.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"Riding lawnmower" is a more accurate name, for sure.

If it doesn't have a PTO that can twist a guy's arm off in 5 seconds, it's not a tractor
View Quote

More like .5 seconds.......  Garden tractors atleast used to be much larger than lawn tractors. Better off with a real tractor or dedicated equipment tho imho.

Hell our "compact tractor" dwarfs older tractors in size and capability yet is some how portrayed as not enough machine. I could drive over a 9n and not spill my beer lol.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Works for me .

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Shouldn’t be turning over soil or tilling anyways.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I used a lawn mower to put in food plots for years, found an old set of craftsman implements and rigged up a manual 3pt hitch, plowed 1st, then drug a little disc with weights on it, took forever but did the job
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#49]
My Grandfather bought a new IH Cub Cadet in 1968. He bought most all the attachments for it except the snow blower. She tips the scales at just about 1000 pounds with her blade, weights, and chains. She was a multi use machine that saw bulldozing, mowing, and tilling. They used her for all of that. They kept several large gardens up with it, and she could do it with no problem, and she was only powered by a 10HP Kohler.

She hasn't had anything but the blade on her for 30 years or better, but she can still put in a full day's worth of work. I use it for snow and the odd gravel job all these years later, and she is always ready to go.

I would never expect her to last long if you were trying to run a farm with her though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:41:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a Deere 325 and a Massey Ferguson GC1723EB. The Deere is a qualified garden tractor and does a great job mowing, tilling, and snow blowing. Haven't got the same attachments for the massey but I don't feel like I need them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top