BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

... does this mean the abandoned ships are out of control? Anchored perhaps?
View Quote
your quote was screwed up, but yes, it's likely both ships are adrift, but they are heavy, won't be moving very fast, and likely, the front altair, which was said to be carrying naphtha, which is commonly known as white gasoline, will burn and sink.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
yawn.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]
How quickly markets respond:

https://mobile.twitter.com/katiemcque/status/1139074692315308033

https://mobile.twitter.com/US5thFleet
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
REMEMBER THE MAINE!
View Quote
Our goal this time is to not go to war with Iran.

They want that really bad as does China who is Iran's biggest customer.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably about as real as the staged Syrian gas attacks. The United States needs to get out of the middle east and let Israel fight it's own wars.
I think he's saying the Jews did it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The United States needs to get out of the middle east and let Israel fight it's own wars.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
So, does this mean gas prices won't continue dropping??
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Exactly. I'll bet we could wipe out Iran's pathetic Navy and Air Force in short order, with minimal risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Operation Praying Mantis II? We owe Iran some serious payback for putting up with decades of their bullshit anyway. Fuckers.
We still owe them for the 1979 hostage crisis, not to mention the 2003 Iraq War.
Exactly. I'll bet we could wipe out Iran's pathetic Navy and Air Force in short order, with minimal risk.
That's the start. The finish is providing aid to certain Iranian groups who would totally destroy their Islamic government and put in a secular government. They have people there capable of running Iran and being friends with the US.

Probably not a good idea to repeat Iraq and remove the government ourselves. Better we support the people already there who want it to happen and are capable of running the country and be our friend. There's smart people there who are very capable of running the place.

The added bonus is Russia loses whatever footing it has there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
"Wu I-fang, a spokesman for Taiwan's state oil refiner CPC Corp, which chartered the Front Altair, said it was carrying 75,000 tonnes of naphtha and was "suspected of being hit by a torpedo", although this has not been confirmed.

He said all the crew had been rescued from the Marshall Islands-flagged vessel. The ship's owner, Norwegian firm Frontline, said the vessel was on fire.

The operator of the Panama-flagged Kokuka Courageous, BSM Ship Management, said its crew abandoned ship and were rescued by a passing vessel.

The tanker was carrying methanol and was not in danger of sinking, a spokesman said. It is currently located about 80 miles from Fujairah in the UAE and 16 miles from Iran."

"Ship operators said 21 crew on board the Kokuka Courageous and 23 on the Front Altair had been evacuated.

Iran rescued the 44 after an "accident", state media said, although the cause is unconfirmed. The US Navy said it received two distress calls."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48619771

Pretty quick rescue by the Iranians...
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Awwww fuck....
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am aware ships and aircraft can carry torpedoes.  Are there other methods?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh crap, they actually have a sub at sea? If true then sink their entire navy.
You know you don’t have to have a sub to fire torpedoes, right?
I am aware ships and aircraft can carry torpedoes.  Are there other methods?
Iran has had small torpedo boats forever. Like our own PT boats from WWII.

It's highly unlikely this is a submarine launched torpedo (if a torpedo at all.)
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
"Panama-listed tanker Kokuka Courageous was damaged in a "suspected attack" that breached the hull above the water line, Bernhard Schulte Shipmanagement said."

"There had been an engine room fire on the tanker, which was carrying a cargo of methanol from Saudi Arabia to Singapore."

"All 44 sailors from the two ships have been rescued by Iranian search and rescue teams, Tehran's Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) reported, citing an unnamed informed source."

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1TE142
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... what's the likelihood any navy could hunt and punish the guilty submarine(s) that launched the torpedoes?
View Quote
How do you know it was a sub?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I hope Iran enjoys the Stone Age.
View Quote
Did the Persians piss the Chinese off?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What movie is that?

Also, why does everyone assume this is true?  That Iran did it?
View Quote
How in the hell can you be a member here since 02 & not know  Red October or that Iran is full of nut jobs

I'm so embarrassed for you
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Iran. Russia.  or China?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably about as real as the staged Syrian gas attacks. The United States needs to get out of the middle east and let Israel fight it's own wars.
Just like the USS Liberty.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
So then, if one was an anti-ship missile...

What's the anti-ship missile of choice for Iranians or terrorists who do not want to be associated with a specific country?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Or Saudia Arabia, or a private group that benefits from war between the US and Iran or...

Basically theres a whole lot of people who benefit from this, none of whom are Iran.

Quite similar to Syria and the gas attacks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:46:12 AM EDT
[#20]
And they said owning Exxon stock was dead money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:47:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Oh, and to the idiots that think “the Jews did it”, it’s our war machine that needs a perpetual conflict, not the Israelis. They have their hands full with the palis. If we happen to take down Iran and hamas, all the better.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Sucks for FRO, one of the better managed tanker companies.  Be interesting to see what the other big tanker names stock prices do this week, and what has really happened.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]
POL-fired boogaloo?

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh crap, they actually have a sub at sea? If true then sink their entire navy.
But they do have some Kilo-class subs plus some other diesel boats, and various midget subs, most of which have torpedo tubes (a few are for minelaying and diver delivery only).

They do have a number of torpedo boats equipped with anti-ship torpedoes as well (none of their other surface combatants carry anti-ship torpedoes, though).

Could go either way on this one if it indeed was torpedoes.  I suppose sea mines are also possible, and that wouldn't be a first for Iran.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#25]
In to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So then, if one was an anti-ship missile...

http://orig13.deviantart.net/6d05/f/2016/210/a/f/missile_chart_7_dev_by_ws_clave-dabuxs2.jpg

http://gcaptain.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/CEM2tCGUsAEY9Ab.png-large.png

What's the anti-ship missile of choice for Iranians or terrorists who do not want to be associated with a specific country?
View Quote
When the Iranians and Hezbollah last did a successful missile attack (against an Israeli corvette or missile boat), I think they used the C-802.  Damaged the Israeli ship and sank a merchantman (Cambodian, I think).  Commonly exported ChiCom missile and used on a number of Iranian warships and shore batteries, including those provided to the Houthi rebels (I believe this type was used to attack the U.S. warships not too long ago, unsuccessfully, on multiple occasions).

I think they are out of Harpoons at this point (I think they expended their last ones during the Iran-Iraq War; not sure if they make a clone or not, but I don't believe so; I think eerything got replaced by the C-802 or C-803).

They also use the Standard SM-1MR (and domestic clones) as an anti-ship missile and not just as a SAM, as well as the C-803, C-701, and some sort of small domestic anti-ship missile.  The ChiCom missiles include domestically-made versions.

They might use other types with ground forces.  I think they have some Russian SS-N-22 Sunburn batteries and probably still have Silkworm batteries.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's see who owned it, and if it really was a torpedo.
This sounds like a Norwegian problem. Not ours.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:05:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link has some better images of the ship on fire.

better ship pics
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't believe this to be true.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s our problem as long as oil is traded in US dollars.  It be very bad for us if oil was not traded in US dollars.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, hell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#32]
And just when they were talking about gas prices under$2 a gallon this summer.

What a coincidence!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's absolutely our problem.  We depend greatly upon free and safe travel of merchantmen along the world's shipping lanes.  Protecting that is a huge part of why we have a navy in the first place.  Product traveling by ship through these areas is important to us, and it also brings business to companies serving such vessels (including the one I've been working for; just assisted two tankers on my most recent shift).  American vessels also travel through these shipping lanes and are vulnerable to attack.  And the Iranians through their proxies (likely with direct Iranian assistance like with Hezbollah) have also fairly recently attacked U.S. shipping, mainly warships.  Additionally, you have the impact on oil prices.

It amazes me how many are ignorant of this, although I suppose some wilfully ignore or refuse to see it because it conflicts with their isolationist or nationalist views.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Link has some better images of the ship on fire.

better ship pics
View Quote
If one is holed above the waterline, probably is an anti-ship missile.  Tankers actually can be surprisingly resilient against missile attack, based on studies of Iran-Iraq War missile attacks on merchant shipping.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#36]
claims one torpedo and one mine

Also reports the Front Altair has sunk.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#37]
it will be interesting how long the iranians hold on to the crews of the two ships.

it's also interesting how quickly the iranians were there on scene.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no idea who did it, but I definitely find it convenient.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
it will be interesting how long the iranians hold on to the crews of the two ships.

it's also interesting how quickly the iranians were there on scene.
View Quote
Saw that the ships involved are only about 25 miles off the coast of Iran.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Hellenic Shipping Article

According to this, two different types of attack, mine and a surface attack.  Who knows at this point?

Looks like these were smaller MR2/Product tanker size vessels.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#43]
It seems to me that the re-election of President Donald Trump would not be in the Iranian best interest.  Nothing better to turn out the leftest vote than "war"... except maybe taking away their "right" to kill their own offspring.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Nobody seems to have a clear idea of what happened. The story details are all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#46]
In on 2
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's absolutely our problem.  We depend greatly upon free and safe travel of merchantmen along the world's shipping lanes.  Protecting that is a huge part of why we have a navy in the first place.  Product traveling by ship through these areas is important to us, and it also brings business to companies serving such vessels (including the one I've been working for; just assisted two tankers on my most recent shift).  American vessels also travel through these shipping lanes and are vulnerable to attack.  And the Iranians through their proxies (likely with direct Iranian assistance like with Hezbollah) have also fairly recently attacked U.S. shipping, mainly warships.  Additionally, you have the impact on oil prices.

It amazes me how many are ignorant of this, although I suppose some wilfully ignore or refuse to see it because it conflicts with their isolationist or nationalist views.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's wrong with having nationalist views?  Have you adopted the left's shifting definition of a once common and reasonable position?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Deep state trying to bait us into war. What are they trying to distract us from?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I am having a hard time believing 2 ships were torpedoed and are both still floating.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Modern age gulf of Tonkin.
Page / 55
Top Top