Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. You are wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is sets and reps.  So 5x5 would be five sets of five reps each, increasing in weight as you go until you last set is the heaviest you can do at 5 reps.  5-3-1 would be the same but the weight is increasing so that the second set is the best you can do at 3 reps, and the third set is your one-rep max.  
No. You are wrong.
for the main lifts

Week 1               Week 2                Week 3               Week 4 (deload)
Set 1   65% x 5             70% x 3               75% x 5             40% x 5
Set 2   75% x 5             80% x 3               85% x 3              50% x 5
Set 3   85% x 5+           90% x 3+            95% x 1+            60% x 5

(deload probably not necessary if only training once or twice per week)

@stretch_1983

The vast majority of 5/3/1 is available through articles written by Jim Wendler (he created 5/3/1) on T-Nation, Jim Wendler's articles
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you ever been around a farm, especially one that makes hay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
surely you jest
Have you ever been around a farm, especially one that makes hay?
You need livestock too. How else are you going to haul around 50lb bags of feed?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It more depends on the equipment you have.

200lbs worth of dumbbells is $200.  That and a bench would get you in shape.

The more popular stuff takes about a $1000 investment, but works a bit better overall.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This.

And are leg extension bad to do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the fuck does 5x5 and 5-3-1 even mean?
This.

And are leg extension bad to do?
It a schedule for how to inject steroids.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do biceps & back one day, chest and triceps the next day and legs one day then shoulders one day.  

Either go on bodybuilding.Com they have workout routines for all levels or I use an app on my phone called fitness point.  Click on a body part you want to work out and it lists and shows you how to execute a ton of different exercises.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

You need to find some where you can lift hay bails.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.
View Quote
Boy you are one bad mofo LoL ??

Don't listen to him lifting is good and if you want more functional muscle try cross fit
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Just lift. It's not complicated. Eat big, lift big, sleep big. I divide my days between "push" and "pull".

That said, starting strength is good to get going, but it gets boring and repetitive, at least for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
My back has been busted up many times and holding weight to my front triggers spasms, even now that I'm healed.

Question:

What are other options to the bent-over row?

I'm 52 and had great success with PALEO while slinging kettlebells, but I've gone about a year w/o workouts and the 5X5 sounds like a decent program (provided my joints can take it). That bent-over business has me more worried than anything though!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can tell you what I do currently.

Day 1- Chest/Triceps
Day 2- Back/Biceps
Day 3- Off
Day 4- Shoulders/Traps
Day 5- Legs
Day 6- Off
Day 7- Core Work or Off (depending how I'm feeling)

If you want even simpler, take a powerlifting (compound movement) approach

Bench Press
Deadlift
Squat
Accessory work of your liking (would def add some military press or clean and press)
View Quote
I like the way he thinks.

Monday legs
Tuesday arms
Wednesday back
Thursday core and abs
Friday shoulders
Saturday and Sunday take off
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.
View Quote
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Just do a program.  Any program is better than none.  Stick with it for a year and then make changes based on what works for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Stop being weak.

Why can't you bench by yourself?
View Quote
I was taught not to do that for safety reasons, macho man.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
No reason at all to not bench if you're alone.
I do it regularly, but I don't go for max or get stupid.

I also leave the collars off, if you fuck up, dump that shit.
I've only had to dump once and I was being stupid.
This applies to my bench with built in upright.

There are good systems that help with safety.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The secret to an invincible power is...

100 push ups!

100 sit ups!

100 Squats!

And a 10km run

Every single day!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turn in your man card.  You suck at life, both as a husband and a man in general.  You fail to adapt, you fail to improvise, you fail to overcome your weaknesses.  You fail and......brag about it.   You are pathetic and irredeemable.  You have crossed the line of shame and cannot go back.  The fact that you posted this on a public forum, though entertaining to some, is both embarrassing and cringe worthy to most.  Not only do I think you are not mature enough to attend a neighborhood barbeque responsibly, you should probably refrain from owning any arms more dangerous than a single shot pellet rifle.  You are pathetic, your relationship is a farce, and I hope the Earth is allowed to proceed without the curse of your spawn.  I'm going to bang the shit out of my wife now........properly.  I don't need another dude to do it for me.  I have PAID ATTENTION enough to know what my woman likes.  When she screams out in ecstacy in a few, I shall think of you. Rather, I shall think of the seasoned fellow plowing your significant other, and pray he passes some of his knowledge onto you.  You suck as a man.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Boy you are one bad mofo LoL ??

Don't listen to him lifting is good and if you want more functional muscle try cross fit
View Quote
He's trolling. He got me too lol, the subtle trolls like that can always clean up on this site because everyone is conditioned to the idiocy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

100 push ups!

100 sit ups!

100 Squats!

And a 10km run

Every single day!
View Quote
Be careful with that, it may cause your hair to fall out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
My routine that got me from 165 to 185.

EAT 7x Day (another topic)

Day1) Chest/Shoulders (PUSH)
Day2) Back/Traps (PULL)
Day3) Legs/Arms (by/tri)   / Core the next week
Day4) = Day1
Day5) = Day2
Day6) = Day3
Day7) Rest (active) bike, run, swim.

All Sets are high rep/ 4x12-15 depending on my strength of that muscle, alternate muscle each set, 90sec rest each set. 4 exercises per muscle

So Day 1 is

Chest     > Bench Press 4x14
Shoulder > Shoulder Press 4x14
Chest     > BB Incline press 4x14
Shoulder > BB press 4x14
Chest      > High Cable Fly 4x15
Shoulder > Cable underhand raise 4x15
Chest      > Low Cable Fly 4x15
Shoulder > Plate Front lift 4x14

But YOUR DIET IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS ROUTINE.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It is sets and reps.  So 5x5 would be five sets of five reps each, increasing in weight as you go until you last set is the heaviest you can do at 5 reps.  5-3-1 would be the same but the weight is increasing so that the second set is the best you can do at 3 reps, and the third set is your one-rep max.  
View Quote
fucking thank you
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Since you have a Squat Rack (Squat Rack should always be capitalized), do curls. Lots of curls.

In the Rack.

It's the only way to get big.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Since you have a Squat Rack (Squat Rack should always be capitalized), do curls. Lots of curls.

In the Rack.

It's the only way to get big.
View Quote
lol, its not the same if its his....

hate it when that happens in the gym.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been breaking it up into 4 days.

M,T,R,F

One day for each:

legs,
back and bis,
shoulder and tris,
chest

I pick 4 or 5 exercises and do 3 or 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps each.   Except for the legs, I go a bit heavier on the squats and limit to 4 sets of 5.

For legs, I always start with squats.   For shoulder/tris, I start with overhead press.    For chest, I start with bench press.   Biceps/back, I start with pullups.

The other exercises I vary to keep it interesting.   No clue if this is the best way.   But it seems to be working for me.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
this is where I started.
highly recommend for the beginner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Strong Lifts 5x5. It has a convenient free (or pay for premium) app for your phone that tracks everything for you. You'll get results if you follow the program.
this is where I started.
highly recommend for the beginner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let me guess...you weighed 140 pounds?

Lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought about lifting heavy once, but I am afraid that I would get too big.

I mainly do stair climbers and yoga.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The more popular stuff takes about a $1000 investment, but works a bit better overall.
View Quote
You can do push-ups, dips, situps, and pull ups for free.  Squat with sandbags or similar.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In for the GD weightlifting thread train wreck.
View Quote
This. Starting strength by mark Rippetoe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

100 push ups!

100 sit ups!

100 Squats!

And a 10km run

Every single day!
View Quote
This is kind of my thinking...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop being weak.

Why can't you bench by yourself?
I was taught not to make excuses for being weak.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can do push-ups, dips, situps, and pull ups for free.  Squat with sandbags or similar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that makes you strong.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
for the main lifts

@stretch_1983

The vast majority of 5/3/1 is available through articles written by Jim Wendler (he created 5/3/1) on T-Nation, Jim Wendler's articles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. You are wrong.
for the main lifts

@stretch_1983

Much better description of Wendler's submaximal training routine.

5/3/1 is a waste of time for a beginner. Take advantage of the novice effect and run SS or SL until it doesn't work. Then shift to 5/3/1.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Strong Lifts 5x5 always gets good reviews. The app makes it easy and motivating.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not going to look like Ronnie Coleman but it's damn sure going to be a good workout for beginners, and beyond.  Most of the people in the average gym could not do 30 pull ups or dips if you held a gun to their head.  This includes the meatheads.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Making sure to get a lot of post-workout protein is important too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You're not going to look like Ronnie Coleman but it's damn sure going to be a good workout for beginners, and beyond.  Most of the people in the average gym could not do 30 pull ups or dips if you held a gun to their head.  This includes the meatheads.
View Quote
Max for the USAFA PFT pull up event was 21 pull ups.

I did 27 one time because my grader lost count.

And these were for real pull ups, not that crossfit kipping bullshit they call a pull up.

I could max out the pull up event every single time.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, first off... Muscles don't turn to fat. That's not how that works. They may have lost lean mass and gained fat, but one cannot turn into the other, and vice versa.

Gym exercise can be balanced, but practical workouts are good. That's where some cardio comes into play. A solid gym routine followed up by constant variable changes. Like a new routine a month, will help you fill in the gaps. Finding something to do like hiking and biking will help with that as well.

Also... find something better than hay bales. Unless you have livestock to feed... you don't need to throw hay bales. you can go hiking with a heavier or variable weight pack, and lastly.

FUCKING PROPER DIET. Want muscles? PROTEIN needs to be 1.6 to 1.8 grams of intake x your body weight. You weigh 200lbs, you need to be taking in 320-360 grams of protein. Get rid of saturated fats, and lower your carb intake, and NO ALCOHOL.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Can anyone give me help with my arm workout?

My right arm is much bigger than my left. I can't quite figure out why.

Suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares about pull-ups? It's not squat, bench, dead or OHP. Everything else is an accessory movement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Air squats, planks, burpees, blah blah blah ....For sure, but it's only going to get you so far.  At some point you need to lift weight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Air squats, planks, burpees, blah blah blah ....For sure, but it's only going to get you so far.  At some point you need to lift weight.
View Quote
At some point, sure.  Starting is the most important part by far.  You don't need equipment and gyms and fancy workouts to get started.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
It's official!

I am back on the SL5X5 band wagon as of tonight.

Holy hell did it kick my ass.

Then I did a half hour of the elliptical.

I decided not to start at zero (just the bar) this time with SL5X5.

I kinda hogged the squat rack tonight....add a plate on each side....do 5 reps....take a break...add 10 pounds to each side...do 5 reps....rinse repeat...

until I figured what a good starting weight should be.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's official!

I am back on the SL5X5 band wagon as of tonight.

Holy hell did it kick my ass.

Then I did a half hour of the elliptical.

I decided not to start at zero (just the bar) this time with SL5X5.

I kinda hogged the squat rack tonight....add a plate on each side....do 5 reps....take a break...add 10 pounds to each side...do 5 reps....rinse repeat...

until I figured what a good starting weight should be.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#44]
YouTube Alan thrall for technique.

Do starting strength, then transition to 5x5 .

If you own a power rack already why do you have to ask?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
5x5 until you plateau, then 5/3/1 
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Technically, I think SL5X5 has you guestimate what your 1 rep max is  and backtracks from there where you should start.

So I did it totally bass ackwards last night.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Kipping bro. Up all night, kip all day.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most people no longer due manual labor like that anymore.  Every farmer I see today has a round or square bailer hooked up to one of their tractors.

Not that it isn't a good workout, but until someone pays me my engineering salary to bail hay, I'll have to settle for going to the gym.

If you really want to get strong, go sign up to build limestone retaining walls.  Hay bails aren't shit compared to 100 lb pieces of rock.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top