BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

Its a different story if its chicks with dicks thread....  

They love those.  Christianity however, ruffles their jimmies.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/135_Religion.html

https://media.giphy.com/media/ac7MA7r5IMYda/giphy.gif
The truth really tends to offend people who don't want to hear it.

Not sure which truth has offended you more, Christianity or the attitude in GD.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I imagine Goliath had a pituitary gland tumor and was therefore very tall but hardly formidable.  People with that problem and that tall are plagued with health problems and can't even get out of their own way.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/smGf37s64sc/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
I've long suspected that Goliath may have had this tumor as well, I even thing someone suffering from this could have been the origin for the "bigfoot legend". But if you look at the French Angel a wrestler from the 50"s you'll see they can be quite active and mobile.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Next topic: a fire breathing dragon is in the Bible. Discuss.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Philistines were a non-Semetic people who came from Europe in the 'Sea People' invasions of the region.
View Quote
Did the Bible link Anak or Arba back to Shem?  

And I thought the Canaanite language/writing was semitic, even if the residents weren't. Can't recall.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hillary was born much later.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sources closer to the event usually have more credibility than those written hundreds of years later.  First Samuel was written in 721 at the latest, based on events described in the text.  The Septuagint was translated from Hebrew into Greek c. 200 BC.  The Essenes sealed the Qumran scrolls between 200 - 100 BC.  Josephus died in 100 AD.

You may give weight where you choose, but the proper study of history (usually called the Historical Method, or the Documentary Method) will assign weight in accordance with my first sentence above.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And as far as Goliath, I may give weight to the Septuagint, 4Q51 Samuel^a, and Josephus, and say Goliath was 6'9".
Sources closer to the event usually have more credibility than those written hundreds of years later.  First Samuel was written in 721 at the latest, based on events described in the text.  The Septuagint was translated from Hebrew into Greek c. 200 BC.  The Essenes sealed the Qumran scrolls between 200 - 100 BC.  Josephus died in 100 AD.

You may give weight where you choose, but the proper study of history (usually called the Historical Method, or the Documentary Method) will assign weight in accordance with my first sentence above.
You say 1 Samuel was written in 721 BC, but what is the oldest existing copy?

The DSS is the oldest surviving textual evidence of 1 Samuel in Hebrew. The earliest complete Masoretic Text extant is from 1000 AD, the Leningrad Codex. Though some incomplete copies go back to the 800s and 900s.

We have copies of the LXX back to the 450s, and plenty of fragments earlier than that.

In textual criticism, earlier extant texts take precedence. That's why the latest copies of the Critical Text (NA or UBS) all use the DSS readings in certain variants. And the latest editions of the NIV, ESV, CSB, and others, go with these readings.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Pfft but could David take a full punch from SquatDog ? I think that is the real question everyone wants to know.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was unaware of the Sumerian records.  That would tend to contradict the "accepted biblical scholars" 6000 year old earth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@maggiethecat

Sumerian records covering the same period say their people lived 10s of thousands of years.

There may have been things going on that we don't understand today.  It's history (not reproducible), not science (reproducible).
I was unaware of the Sumerian records.  That would tend to contradict the "accepted biblical scholars" 6000 year old earth.
@maggiethecat

A)  Not if the Sumerians are the ones exaggerating.

B)  I have a strong difference of opinion with people who are attempting to add the ages of individuals and events to come up with the date the Earth was created.  Taking as a base assumption that the Garden of Eden was real and Creation happened as described, how long were Adam and Eve in the Garden before they ate the fruit?  They were immortal at that point and could have waited 10,000 years before getting tempted enough to eat the forbidden fruit.

Now I have no dog in this particular fight.  I'm what the media would have called a Fundamentalist Christian back in the 90s, but nowhere in the Bible do we have enough information to determine the age of the earth.

There's no way to even determine when The Flood occurred, so how do we go back beyond that?

Let me clarify this a bit.  When you see SoAndSo, son of SuchAndSuch in the OT SoAndSo may actually be the son, grandson, or great grandson of SuchAndSuch.  The complete lineage was not always put into the Biblical text.  The Israelites did, however, keep extensive genealogical records.  Those records were destroyed when the 2nd Temple was destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD.

So as you can see, attempting to determine the age of the Earth from genealogical records in the OT is akin to asking about a plane on a treadmill in GD.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since we're talking about giaganticism and whether or not Goliath had it, I have a serious medical question.  If people with that problem have a pituitary gland that is out of control, can't the gland be removed?  Do you need it to live?
View Quote
Yes! it can be removed, Survival is determined by meds. My Son Has gigantism. Has had 2 surgeries. will be 20 in (2) weeks. Stands 6'3 285lbs solid. not fat.

his growth was basically stopped at 15 with his 2nd surgery. much of his pituitary was removed.

He needs 3 pills 2x a day to survive the rest of his life. We are blessed that it is where it is. he has had a steady and normal life for 4 yrs and looks to continue.

BAck to topic....

The way Goliath is explained it seems entirely possible an unchecked pituitary tumor could have been involved. Cant wait til I get to Heaven to ask all these questions.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
This

The Bible - David and Goliath
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A normal cubit is roughly equal to 18 inches. A long cubit is 21.

By those measurements, Goliath was 9 feet tall. The flood waters are 45 feet.
View Quote
You forgot the 'span' which is approx 8"

He was a pretty tall MF'er
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How old is the Earth according to the bible?
View Quote
With 'A thousand years like a day to God', hard to tell
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And conversely, no one is forcing you to click on a thread that is contrary to your beliefs.  Did you get so offended by this thread that you personally (in your arrogance) had to come in and set everyone straight?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356246/Wrong-on-the-Internet-245800.png
View Quote
I'm here discussing the topic posted for discussion. I never hinted at being forced to be here, nor am I offended. My point is that if you post in GD, you will get GD responses so you shouldn't act surprised about it. Maybe you should re-read your own post and reflect on how it applies to you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I understand your position.

However, my story is quite different. For some of us, God has done things that cannot be discounted, dismissed, minimized, or ignored.

I am one of those people. I often wonder if He will judge me differently or more strictly because of my experiences and hold me more accountable.
View Quote
Believe me, it's not a simple topic for either side. I would bet the vast majority of atheists struggle with faith as much as religious folks.

If you are right, I hope god takes mercy on all of us. I just don't believe you are right, but that's my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@usmc_delaware according to the TED talk video above, David's stone was traveling at the speed equivalent to a 45mm handgun round. So 45mm it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What round for Goliath??
@usmc_delaware according to the TED talk video above, David's stone was traveling at the speed equivalent to a 45mm handgun round. So 45mm it is.
Thank you for a clear answer. So now we know that the 1911 is truly the Lord's firearm of choice, not striker fired plastic icky pistols.

ETA: for sake of full disclosure, my carry gun is a g26. I just like stirring this shitstorm thread as much as possible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The truth really tends to offend people who don't want to hear it.

Not sure which truth has offended you more, Christianity or the attitude in GD.  
View Quote
Offended?  None.

I don't post in the Religion form because that's where the real serious believers hang out.

GD is where the fun is at.

"The Truth" you mentioned is entertaining, to me.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Bible doesn't weigh in on the matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some excellent books written by people who felt the same way as you, went out to prove it, and ended up coming to a much different conclusion.  You should read "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel as a starting point.
The Bible doesn't weigh in on the matter.
^Wow, it's like this guy actually paid attention!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like someone is being a bit....what was the word you used the other day....douchey?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whew! Thank the mighty Odin that someone really took the time to classify giants for us. 

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/275/034/8c2.jpg
Looks like someone is being a bit....what was the word you used the other day....douchey?
You've got remarkably thin skin.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Satan can't get a hold on anyone without their acquiescence. What does that say about "them?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true, I guess satan's got a hold on them...
Satan can't get a hold on anyone without their acquiescence. What does that say about "them?"
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is no "accepted biblical scholars" estimation for the age of the Earth. There are people that make that claim, but they are a small number, intentionally latched and parroted by atheists and anti theists for obvious reasons.

It doesn't work like that. I think you underestimate the diversity of belief among Christians.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
View Quote
Do you deny current ground breaking research into the genetics of aging?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics_of_aging

You aren't a science denier, are you?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Great Ted talk on how David easily kicked Goliath's ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziGD7vQOwl8
View Quote
I want a 44mm handgun
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire was reigned down on two cities to destroy them. I guess that's close enough.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What round for Goliath??
View Quote
acording to the Ted Talks guy, 44mm
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're probably right.

Saul was mostly known for his stature, that was one of the biggest (no pun intended) reasons for him being selected to be king. However, there isn't any literary proof that I know of that suggested he was abnormally large compared to his countrymen. At 6'4", he'd have been almost a foot taller than everybody else, which doesn't fit what is written about him. I think the sweet spot for his height is just under 6', most likely 5'11", which would have been about 4-6" taller than just about everybody around him.
View Quote
Think the Bible mentions Saul being head and shoulders above all men.  I'm thinking he was pretty tall if a guy was 5'5-ish he was probably 6,4+.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is not correct at all.  I am a "real serious believer" and I almost never post in the Religion Forum.

To post there, you must "respect all religions", and I most certainly do not do that.
View Quote
Better have some thick skins and stiff trigger in GD.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Not a difficult question to answer. 6 Cubits and a Span

The hard part is "who" measured as there was no real standard unit of measure in those days, well, as per today's standards.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If the flood was 45 feet deep, why didn't people just go to higher ground?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause tha earth is flat.  Duh. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That is not correct at all.  I am a "real serious believer" and I almost never post in the Religion Forum.

To post there, you must "respect all religions", and I most certainly do not do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't post in the Religion form because that's where the real serious believers hang out.

Just to add, I come to a religious thread in GD for discussion, debate, and disagreement.  The religious forum is there for a different reason.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Does the Bible state that Goliath was a Nephilim? Where?
View Quote
It is widely said by many Bible scholars that yes, he was a descendant of them.

However, the flood was destroyed them and only Noah and his family was left.

So based on the last part....no, he was not.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trebek: "And the answer is: this thread and the bible. skinny79?"

skinny79: "What are two things killswitch hasn't read."

Trebek: "That's correct, your board..."
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drive by posting somewhat, I don't have the reference, but the "Nephilim" survived the flood. Scripture mentions them ..."and after the Flood." I'll see if I can dig out a reference.

Edit: See below. This topic is very, very commonly misremembered/misrepresented among Christian believers and from the pulpit.

Genesis 6:4
4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Drive by posting somewhat, I don't have the reference, but the "Nephilim" survived the flood. Scripture mentions them ..."and after the Flood." I'll see if I can dig out a reference.

Edit: See below. This topic is very, very commonly misremembered/misrepresented among Christian believers and from the pulpit.

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, Genesis 6 is pre flood.

See Numbers 13.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Headshot multiplier
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just to add, I come to a religious thread in GD for discussion, debate, and disagreement.  The religious forum is there for a different reason.  
View Quote
There are 2 outcomes for Jesus threads on GD.

#1. Religious folks inspire other folks whom are already religious.

#2. Religious folks got laughed at by atheists.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

See Numbers 13.
View Quote
Yes it is. It was describing "those days," "and after." Numbers 13 does nothing to dispel this.

Are the Nephilim, whatever they were, around today? I have no idea. But Scripture describes them as being around during the time before the Flood, and after.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Baal doesn't laugh at the non-believers.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes it is. It was describing "those days," "and after." Numbers 13 does nothing to dispel this.

Are the Nephilim, whatever they were, around today? I have no idea. But Scripture describes them as being around during the time before the Flood, and after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See Numbers 13.

If scripture says it, post the verses.

I posted Numbers 13:33 already. I just don't see the Anakim as being Nephilim, just that they were a large race.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both are fine by me.  I'll keep coming back for a few reasons.  1.  If God does exist, I'd like to know.  I'm willing to accept any demonstrable evidence someone has.  2. Do people care about what's true, or what makes them feel good?  3. To let people know that it's ok to question your faith.  4. Is what I think on the subject valid, or is there something I'm overlooking.  I spend way more time on a daily basis listening to debates and lectures on religion than I probably should.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Herp...I gotchoo now  derp".........The Bible doesn't give an age for the earth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as your #2 is concerned, those who have truly experienced the love of Christ and have a true walk with God are not perturbed at all by the laughter of atheists. I perceive it in a similar fashion as you might hear the fearful high pitched screams of a tormented and injured dog that you reach down to help and it squalls and tries to bite your hand. You reach down anyway and continue trying to calm its tormented soul and show it love and bring it a little peace. A reprobate mind doesn't know what is pure and holy and powerful. It craves drugs and porn, it's addictions, the rolling around in its own filth. They are unable to know the higher calling they were created for and the meaning of true peace and joy. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I posted Numbers 13:33 already. I just don't see the Anakim as being Nephilim, just that they were a large race.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See Numbers 13.

Did you not read the first post of mine you quoted? The Sons of God were the so-called Nephilim.

I never said the Anakim were Nephilim; they may have been descendants of them, or merely were so large people thought they were. It doesn't apply here. Reading comprehension?

The fun discussion comes when we start discussing the Ages of Man, and how many signs point to civilization having been around tens of thousands of years ago. Gobekli Tepe shakes the foundations of history, for one. A previous poster mentioned the Scripture applying to the latest version of the Etch-a-Sketch Earth and the humans that cling to it. Who knows? The Bible as we have it is one of the best historical documents we have, but it only goes so far. Who did Cain marry? How long were Adam and Eve in the Garden? It can be hard to tell allegory from hard facts when reading oral history from millennia ago. You can do your best with context and historical analysis but it leaves room for discussion, for sure.

<---- A Christian my whole life, btw. Being a believer doesn't require discounting anything that doesn't mesh with your personal interpretation of Scripture.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As far as your #2 is concerned, those who have truly experienced the love of Christ and have a true walk with God are not perturbed at all by the laughter of atheists. I perceive it in a similar fashion as you might hear the fearful high pitched screams of a tormented and injured dog that you reach down to help and it squalls and tries to bite your hand. You reach down anyway and continue trying to calm its tormented soul and show it love and bring it a little peace. A reprobate mind doesn't know what is pure and holy and powerful. It craves drugs and porn, it's addictions, the rolling around in its own filth. They are unable to know the higher calling they were created for and the meaning of true peace and joy. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Did you not read the first post of mine you quoted? The Sons of God were the so-called Nephilim.

I never said the Anakim were Nephilim; they may have been descendants of them, or merely were so large people thought they were. It doesn't apply here. Reading comprehension?

The fun discussion comes when we start discussing the Ages of Man, and how many signs point to civilization having been around tens of thousands of years ago. Gobekli Tepe shakes the foundations of history, for one. A previous poster mentioned the Scripture applying to the latest version of the Etch-a-Sketch Earth and the humans that cling to it. Who knows? The Bible as we have it is one of the best historical documents we have, but it only goes so far. Who did Cain marry? How long were Adam and Eve in the Garden? It can be hard to tell allegory from hard facts when reading oral history from millennia ago. You can do your best with context and historical analysis but it leaves room for discussion, for sure.

<---- A Christian my whole life, btw. Being a believer doesn't require discounting anything that doesn't mesh with your personal interpretation of Scripture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See Numbers 13.

Correct me if I missed anything, but your position is the Nephilim existed post flood because Genesis 6 says they existed before the flood?

The bible only speaks of the Nephilim directly in 2 places, or 3 if one accepts the variant reading in Ezekiel.

You said "Scripture mentions them ..."and after the Flood." I'll see if I can dig out a reference." I'm just waiting for it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you don't like GD's responses to your constant religious trolling, you have a special safe space in the Religion forum.
View Quote
Do you think that there are no COC's in GD?   do you troll the religious forum....why not?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is a religious sub-section on the forums where you can talk all you want about the evils of Christianity.

This is GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

Its a different story if its chicks with dicks thread....  

They love those.  Christianity however, ruffles their jimmies.
There is a religious sub-section on the forums where you can talk all you want about the evils of Christianity.

This is GD.
Better not talk about guns in GD either.  We have other forums for that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Correct me if I missed anything, but your position is the Nephilim existed post flood because Genesis 6 says they existed before the flood?

The bible only speaks of the Nephilim directly in 2 places, or 3 if one accepts the variant reading in Ezekiel.

You said "Scripture mentions them ..."and after the Flood." I'll see if I can dig out a reference." I'm just waiting for it.
View Quote
Wasted effort I'm sure, but here It is again. I'm not a fan of talking to walls so I'll stop.

4 There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you deny current ground breaking research into the genetics of aging?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetics_of_aging

You aren't a science denier, are you?
View Quote
I'm not a denier of anything.  I'm of the rare, honest breed that admits "i dont know"
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top