Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm. Sounds like some people are just bad with money, loans or no.

Plenty of people can pay them back. They got degrees that have value.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I've posted this before, but....

Sallie Mae should be shut down.  Imagine if a private bank chased teenagers and offered them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, now, on the premise that they pay it back 'when you're making a lot of money'.  It would be called what it is, predatory.

Student loans are exempt from bankruptcy.  Many loans were transferred to Navient, a private company, and those are also exempt from bankruptcy.  Unless you are the child of a member of Congress.
Who did all this?  Joe Biden.
Tuition levels have increased at 500% of the inflation rate, because of all the money being shoveled out.  Shut off the money, and watch prices drop.

1) Forgive all student loans, maybe up to a certain income level.
2) Close Sallie Mae, and Navient.
3) Watch tuition price levels plummet.
4) Major boost to the economy, as the hundreds of dollars a month are spent on other goods and services.

Yes, I'm aware the .fed would 'lose' the student loan money.  They piss away more than that every month.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sallie Mae should be shut down.  Imagine if a private bank chased teenagers and offered them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, now, on the premise that they pay it back 'when you're making a lot of money'.  It would be called what it is, predatory.

Student loans are exempt from bankruptcy.  Many loans were transferred to Navient, a private company, and those are also exempt from bankruptcy.  Unless you are the child of a member of Congress.
Tuition levels have increased at 500% of the inflation rate, because of all the money being shoveled out.  Shut off the money, and watch prices drop.

4) Major boost to the economy, as the hundreds of dollars a month are spent on other goods and services.

Yes, I'm aware the .fed would 'lose' the student loan money.  They piss away more than that every month.
View Quote

But then they couldn’t fund the ACA which is the whole point of the easy loans. The theoretical interest earned was used to make the ACA look more budget friendly without actually evaluating what making loans stupid easy to get would do to society in the long term.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:43:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Smoke screen, something for the dems to blame the R's for when the economy collapses.  Couldn't have been the runaway spending.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Smoke screen, something for the dems to blame the R's for when the economy collapses.  Couldn't have been the runaway spending.
View Quote

Since it’s obvious the GOP isn’t going to actually cut spending as needed, they might as well use it as a tool like the left does.

They should introduce a bill around Sept that basically does what poopypants tried to do but they announce it like the second coming of Christ and just do a full media blitz so the left can’t take credit for it since you know they’ll try.

It’ll put the left in a pinch because they can’t really campaign against it but they also can’t give the GOP the win of passing it and then get no credit with single issue voters. It’ll be fun to watch them twist themselves into knots.

Crucify me if you want but I think we’re playing violin on the Titanic financially speaking in this country with the debt so might as well go raid the liquor cabinet before the bottles get broke.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Money loaned out for a college degree needs to be tied to the average rate the job pays.  Knew a guy who went to a 4 year art school. 80k.  The only job he could get when he graduated was a job as a photographer at Walmart/Target $12/hr. No way that people attending that school should get 80k loans
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Money loaned out for a college degree needs to be tied to the average rate the job pays.  Knew a guy who went to a 4 year art school. 80k.  The only job he could get when he graduated was a job as a photographer at Walmart/Target $12/hr. No way that people attending that school should get 80k loans
View Quote

You would also have to consider the institution as well.

An economics degree from Harvard will earn you more than one from University of Phoenix.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People are willing to die on this hill to own the libs. It's a $10k relief, not complete loan forgiveness.

But don't let this distract you from the fact that Trump and the Retardicans agreed to shut down the economy and printed twice the amount the projected cost of student debt relief.
View Quote

So how many students do you know who are getting $10k? The original Covid shutdown was justifiable because of how deadly Covid was. Keeping the shutdown was a Democrat Party power grab. You can’t compare the early Covid actions with Biden buying votes with taxpayer money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The government does not lose their money. Their money as you call it is yours and my money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sure
But you’re saying no one’s financial situation changed in the last 3 yrs?
View Quote

I'm making 40K a year more than three years ago.  I also don't have
a college degree.  Someone smart enough to have a college degree
should be able to do better than me, right?
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Entities such as Sallie Mae and Navient do not define the loan terms.  The Title IV Academic Servicers (TIVAs) simply service the loans following the strict terms set by the Department of Education.  Additionally, Navient sold its Direct Loan portfolio to Maximus.  Even if Sallie Mae and Navient closed today, all of these problems will still exist, and none of them were caused by any of the TIVAs.  In your ignorance, you've misdirected (most) of your anger.  You should really be pissed at FBHO and FJB.

Additionally, the idea that people are taking out loans because of what Sallie Mae, Navient, etc. are doing is laughable.  They are not the driving force behind the "MUST GO TO COLLEGE" push.  You can thank boomers, media, a corrupt government and many other likeminded groups and individuals for pushing our kids towards government funded indoctrination centers.

My wife had a loan with Sallie Mae.  It was the first debt we paid off, and we never had any problems.  Then again, we're not lazy, entitled, ignorant taint-huffers that are inclined to blame others for our failures or debts.

Quoted:

But then they couldn’t fund the ACA which is the whole point of the easy loans. The theoretical interest earned was used to make the ACA look more budget friendly without actually evaluating what making loans stupid easy to get would do to society in the long term.

It's actually even worse than that.  ACA had a rider called the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA), which ended the Federal Family Education Loan Program and implemented the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.  This effectively made the federal government the sole originator of government-backed student loans, which make up over 90% of all student loan types.  The "savings" created by transitioning from FFELP to Direct Loans was used to make ACA look more budget friendly.  Basically, big daddy gov executed a covert takeover of the entire industry, and nobody outside the industry noticed.

Fuck BHO, Fuck JB, and most importantly of all...fuck the globalist, Marxist, corrupt government selling out its own people using their own money.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#13]
When the fed gov pushed private lenders out of the game and became the sole source for student loans I knew we were headed for disaster.

The fed gov created the disaster.  They made college education a scam.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"The Supreme Court decision is a cold shower for those who had their hopes pinned on a $10,000 relief," Billpin.com Founder James Allen said in a statement. "It's like waiting for a tax refund only to find out the IRS made a mistake. The impact? Well, it's back to square one, folks. The dream of a financial breather has evaporated."

View Quote
But you did get a financial breather, you fucking retard. You didn't have to pay back your loan for years and it stopped accruing interest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When the fed gov pushed private lenders out of the game and became the sole source for student loans I knew we were headed for disaster.

The fed gov created the disaster.  They made college education a scam.
View Quote

The fact that even a single person in GD understands this warms the icy-cold cockles of my broken, jaded heart.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If they couldn't afford the loan, why the fuck did they agree to the loan in the first place?
View Quote

Kollage makes you smarts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I sacrificed and paid mine off in 2017, so…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or lost their job, got divorced, spouse died, didn’t get a raise and 36m of Biden inflation ate up the $450/m they were spending on their loan
View Quote

Like that shit only happened to kollage loan borrowers?
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#19]
"...Counting on those savings..."

Sounds like the idiots that keep writing IOUs against the Social Security fund.

I hear clucking.  The chickens are coming home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or lost their job, got divorced, spouse died, didn’t get a raise and 36m of Biden inflation ate up the $450/m they were spending on their loan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing they could or were affording the loans, but instead if saving money or reducing expenses, they increased expenses (new car, fancy phone) with the money they had been using to pay loans so now they're under water.

Boohoo. Shit happens and life can suck. That doesn't absolve them of their responsibility and necessitate other people having to bail them out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing they could or were affording the loans, but instead if saving money or reducing expenses, they increased expenses (new car, fancy phone) with the money they had been using to pay loans so now they're under water.

Sounds like a lot of people with mortgages and car loans. Why should financially responsible people have to bail out financially irresponsible people?
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Boohoo. Shit happens and life can suck. That doesn't absolve them of their responsibility and necessitate other people having to bail them out.
View Quote

It also doesn’t stop them from voting for the guy who promises to bail them out either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Or lost their job, got divorced, spouse died, didn't get a raise and 36m of Biden inflation ate up the $450/m they were spending on their loan
View Quote
Interestingly enough, none of that stuff there is mentioned in the loan information when people are getting these loans.  There's nothing about maybe just not paying it back if you have a rough patch in life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sounds like a lot of people with mortgages and car loans. Why should financially responsible people have to bail out financially irresponsible people?
View Quote

You’re assuming that most people don’t believe that the federal government has a magical money tree hidden somewhere where they pull these funds. It’s just free money to them because their parents and teachers were idiots.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough, none of that stuff there is mentioned in the loan information when people are getting these loans.  There's nothing about maybe just not paying it back if you have a rough patch in life.
View Quote

They tell you that you can defer payments when that exact thing happens. How long you can do so is a bit more hidden but they do tell you about deferments.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Navient does not own student loans. They are a loan servicing business that is working for the government. They process payments, send out notices and track account balances.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know, life is full of risk. Better plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#30]
I dropped out of college after the first year.
Too expensive and didn't see where the education was going to put me in a job.
Worked a few years and saved money.
Found an relatively inexpensive medical training school for x-ray technology.
Required to be at the hospital 40 hours a week.
Got a job in another hospital working 32-40 hours a week.
I essentially had no life for two years.
School, study and working left me little time for anything else and barely time to sleep.
Never had to take a loan.
Graduated, passed boards and had a great career in radiology.

So I decided to choose a lessor cost education and also worked
my a$$ off while doing it so why do I have to pay for people that chose poorly and took out loans
for questionable degrees that probably didn't work while going to school?

We should not be responsible to bail out people that make poor decisions.

Life is hard.
Being stupid makes life even harder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This part is WIDELY subjective....   I would say everything from young kid not understanding what they got into, to the world/life/job/situation changing.
View Quote

This is where parents and ethical high school counselors come in.

But we all know those don't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#32]
What a bunch of fucking idiots.  Our economy is going to take a big hit, and millions of responsible people are going to get seriously financially fucked over by their own government, based on the actions of a group of snot nosed kids who were never taught adulting 101 shit like "never count your chickens before they've hatched" and "don't spend money you don't have".
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#33]
They had three years to work on paying down the principle.  No fucks given.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#34]
I love the hypocrisy in this country....
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So how many students do you know who are getting $10k? The original Covid shutdown was justifiable because of how deadly Covid was. Keeping the shutdown was a Democrat Party power grab. You can’t compare the early Covid actions with Biden buying votes with taxpayer money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People are willing to die on this hill to own the libs. It's a $10k relief, not complete loan forgiveness.

But don't let this distract you from the fact that Trump and the Retardicans agreed to shut down the economy and printed twice the amount the projected cost of student debt relief.

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They tell you that you can defer payments when that exact thing happens. How long you can do so is a bit more hidden but they do tell you about deferments.
View Quote
Deferment is different from "I just don't want to pay it back because life is hard."  There is a difference.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Zero sympathy, my high school GF was headed to college for “ fine arts”, I did the math at 17 and knew she was gonna have a hell of a time turning it into a decent job and that was a pile of cash to throw at “ maybe “. Last I heard she about 40 and was running a mini daycare in her living room to get by.

I did my own math, and decided to skip college, went military and was fully retired by 40, with no college debt.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Deferment is different from "I just don't want to pay it back because life is hard."  There is a difference.
View Quote

Not if you don’t have provide proof of hardship
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#39]
and these people vote....

why am I surprised - they don't even know what bathroom to use or what their gender is.

We should bring back debtor prisons....
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they got worthless degrees they overpaid for.

I wonder how many college students your scenario applies to? Do you think it is the majority or the minority?

Which scenario describes 98% of the student loan debt in question?

Serious question.

Without the data we can go back and forth.

Anecdotally, I've personally witnessed my scenario 100% (notice the use of "anecdotally")

I have no doubt that your scenario may apply to a few.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This part is WIDELY subjective....   I would say everything from young kid not understanding what they got into, to the world/life/job/situation changing.
View Quote

Yet they are able to vote, decide their gender, drive a car, etc - you are either able to understand the implications of all of these things, or you should be denied all of these things.

You can't simultaneously claim to be an adult capable of making adult decisions and also claim to not understand what borrowing money means. The latter negates the former 100%.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If they couldn't afford the loan, why the fuck did they agree to the loan in the first place?
View Quote

because most people in their early 20s have no concept of how much money is because they have not yet supported themselves buy working and paying bills.

my son got an academic  scholarship. he did not understand how much it was worth per year even though he knew the numbers until I told him it was his mother's yearly take home pay after taxes.

his reaction was 'holy shit !!'

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's the risk you take if you borrow money. Not a new concept.

Still doesn't remove the obligation to pay it back...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure
But you’re saying no one’s financial situation changed in the last 3 yrs?

That's the risk you take if you borrow money. Not a new concept.

Still doesn't remove the obligation to pay it back...

Daddy gov please save the peasants.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am glad you and all your family/friends are all young and in perfect health. Why don’t you talk to all the older less healthy people who got Covid when it first hit. It might take you awhile to find a lot of them since so many of them died.

People make decisions based on the information available when they have to decide what to do. Conditions change and what was perfectly reasonable at the time they made the decision may no longer apply. Covid as it exists today or even a year or two ago is not the same as Covid in March if 2020.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#45]
It's funny.  I didn't go to the private university I wanted, I went to a local community college for 2-years to minimize my cost, and then finished my STEM BS at a state U I could afford.  I came out with loans, but never bitched like these idiots and paid them off within a few years or so.  

I don't comprehend the mass sense of entitlement by this current generation.  They attend a college they can't afford given what they KNOW their loans will be, too often pick a useless degree that they KNOW offers no real world value or future, and then wail victimhood and that their loans should be magically erased.  It's insane.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

because most people in their early 20s have no concept of how much money is because they have not yet supported themselves buy working and paying bills.

my son got an academic  scholarship. he did not understand how much it was worth per year even though he knew the numbers until I told him it was his mother's yearly take home pay after taxes.

his reaction was 'holy shit !!'

View Quote
I hate to sound harsh but you and your wife failed your son. Growing up my parents made sure I understood what things cost and what budgets were.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#47]
The Democrats were always going to fuck them over.

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's funny.  I didn't go to the private university I wanted, I went to a local community college for 2-years to minimize my cost, and then finished my STEM BS at a state U I could afford.  I came out with loans, but never bitched like these idiots and paid them off within a few years or so.  

I don't comprehend the mass sense of entitlement by this current generation.  They attend a college they can't afford given what they KNOW their loans will be, too often pick a useless degree that they KNOW offers no real world value or future, and then wail victimhood and that their loans should be magically erased.  It's insane.
View Quote

College was a less expensive when I went to school in the late 60s. I worked my way through school. Living at home and commuting also saved a lot of money. My parents were not wealthy and could not help much beyond giving me a place to live and paying for health and auto insurance. Things have changed so much with kids going away to school even out of state because their parents pay some and they borrow the rest. How many of the students actually worked while in school?

I look at my grandnephews and grandnieces and was shocked to see how many toys they have. One nephew actually built a shed to house the toy overflow. There simply was not enough room in their bedrooms and play room for all the toys. I hope they don’t feel entitled to a four, five or more year vacation when they grow up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#49]
So everybody had 3 years to pay off the $10k.  That's $280/month.  
What's a typical interest rate on student loans?  How much did they save with 3 years of zero interest on that $10k?

ZFG about the irresponsible shitheads crying about not getting another handout.  I hope they learn a lesson, but I know better than to count on that.  So I just hope it hurts as that will satisfy my schadenfreude.

Link Posted: 7/20/2023 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#50]
They will blame Republicans rather then the Democrats who made them bullshit promises of free money.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top