Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, ok.  To make you guys and my wife happy, I called the Doc.  Waiting for a call back.

I have a few pics.  Who is the recommended photo host these days?

Edit.  I will update after the Docs tells me there is nothing she can do.  I fully expect to lose the toe, hopefully they can keep a stub.
View Quote

Don't be mistaken, if there were less people in this world that relied on a gun forum for medical advice, I think the world would be a better place.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not every brown recluse bite turns into a rotten mess
View Quote

True, and in this thread I learned that real men take those chances and just let it heal by itself.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
When to seek medical advice you ask?

Umm, RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!!!

My buddy’s wife got a brown recluse bite on her chest, right side rib cage.  She ended up in the ER with a 104 fever.  She was in the ICU for a few days.  The necrosis was pretty bad.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
dibs on ammo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn’t be infected this quickly.

If it’s gonna become necrotic, either it will or won’t.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

I really wonder how our ancestors survived without an urgent care or ER on every corner to run to over every little thing
View Quote

The answer to your question is many didn’t.  Ever heard the stories of folks have 9 kids and 4 survived?  Yeah that shit happened ALOT.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not a spider bite. Unless you saw it happen of course.

People claim spider bite for every single MRSA infection.

What OP needs to do is go to the UR and get checked for the beetus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mrsa/symptoms-causes/syc-20375336

Unless you saw the spider chomp. It wasn’t a spider.
View Quote

This.  

And the pics above are likely a Diabetic Patient with a foot infection, not a spider bite.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, ok.  To make you guys and my wife happy, I called the Doc.  Waiting for a call back.

Edit.  I will update after the Docs tells me there is nothing she can do.  I fully expect to lose the toe, hopefully they can keep a stub.
View Quote

You fully expect to lose the toe?  This is either parody or you’re way past pants on head retarded and well into Biden level retardism.  Congratulations on unlocking your new level, may the odds ever be in your favor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:35:11 PM EDT
[#8]
OP goes to surgical forums to ask for AR advice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you didn't want advice or you weren't going to consider following it, why did you bother asking in the first place?

What was the point of this thread?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you didn't want advice or you weren't going to consider following it, why did you bother asking in the first place?

What was the point of this thread?
View Quote

To show how much of a "man" he is, duh !
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP goes to surgical forums to ask for AR advice.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Back from urgent care, Doc said likely BR bite.  

Wrote a script for Bactrim, said if the toe starts getting black go to ER cause they didn't do any cutting at UC.

Not the beetus,  my AC1 is around 3.  

Advise/advice yeah I know the difference,  just sometimes my fingers type without my brain fully engaging

Edit.  There is a wealth of informed information here.  Many educated people and then there are those that posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got bit yesterday morning by what I believe was a Brown Recluse.  The bite was on the tip of my second toe,next to the big toe.

I first noticed a little irritation and thought I was developing an ingrown toe nail.

As the day progressed the toe continued to swell and by the end of the day the skin was mostly blistered.  I took Benedryl (50mg three times), so the histamine response was minimized.

Anyway this morning the toe is a little more swollen and a little more blistered.  Very sensitive to touch.   No throbbing or pain unless touched.

My question is at what point do I need medical attention?  From my research they really can not treat the reaction to the venom and can only excise the necrotic tissue, correct?

So go to the Doc when necrosis starts?  Or sooner?
View Quote

I'm actually somewhat of an expert in this field. When people get bit by Brown recluses, either nothing really happens, or it's bad. People that get a bad bite and wait a week are the one's

that are likely to have major tissue damage and complications. You need medical treatment soon. Don't go to the ER, but don't wait until tomorrow. Trust me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Wrote a script for Bactrim, said if the toe starts getting black go to ER cause they didn't do any cutting at UC.

Advise/advice yeah I know the difference,  just sometimes my fingers type without my brain fully engaging

Edit.  There is a wealth of informed information here.  Many educated people and then there are those that posted in this thread.
View Quote

You are full of shit.
Brown Recluse is one of the deadliest spiders in North America.
It's venom is far more toxic than the Black Widow.
Black Widows are simply much more aggressive and thus have a higher overall kill count.

You don't go through the day with an irritated toe from a Brown Recluse bite.
You feel like your blood is boiling, your lymph nodes go spastic, your lungs start to shut down, and your central nervous system starts backfiring and seizing up, all in the span of about 20-40 minutes.

It was probably just your everyday in-home wolf spider.
Irritations can be as mild as that of a mosquito bite, or more so, with swelling and irritation comparable to that of a hornet or wasp sting.
Why are you a lying liar who lies, OP?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#15]
 +  

Finally...
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
go to UC, are you 12 years old
View Quote

OP can't even spell "advice" correctly, you expect him to make that kind of decision?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 Many educated people and then there are those that posted in this thread.

View Quote

Don't be so hard on yourself, at least you are trying to educate yourself.

You did the right thing, no matter how "girlish" it may seem.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You feel like your blood is boiling, your lymph nodes go spastic, your lungs start to shut down, and your central nervous system starts backfiring and seizing up, all in the span of about 20-40 minutes.

View Quote
I am certainly not an expert but that sounds a bit much.  I just googled "brown recluse bite symptoms" and ended up on a few local to me hospital sites, webmd etc.  It does say it is a serious thing than can lead to issues like pain, nausea, infection etc.  That one should for sure seek the advice of a doctor and not ignore it due to the possibility of tissue loss, but it doesn't say most of all that stuff.

It says to see a doctor quickly is important, but under a doctors care and with prescription antibiotics, it can often be treated at home.

WebMD does mention seizure or coma, but is listed under "very rare".
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a pic from yesterday.

https://ibb.co/0CrzJPj

Here is one at the UC today.

https://ibb.co/w7xk2RV

Edit:  The links work

Yeah, I need a pedicure
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are full of shit.
Black Widows are simply much more aggressive and thus have a higher overall kill count.

Irritations can be as mild as that of a mosquito bite, or more so, with swelling and irritation comparable to that of a hornet or wasp sting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are full of shit.

You sir don't know what you are talking about regarding brown recluse bites
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Get yourself a hatchet and a car cigarette lighter.  Cut the toe off with the hatchet.  Cauterize the wound with the cigarette lighter.

Or just go to urgent care and let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get yourself a hatchet and a car cigarette lighter.  Cut the toe off with the hatchet.  Cauterize the wound with the cigarette lighter.

Or just go to urgent care and let them deal with it.
View Quote

A hatchet is way to imprecise.  I suggested that we use a wood chisel.  Just take off the one toe.

I like the car lighter idea though, I will keep that in mind as opposed to the brulee torch that my wife wanted to use
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#24]
As a certified internet medical expert I advise you to get to the Urgent Care NOW! A brown recluse bite is not anything to mess around with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn’t be infected this quickly.

If it’s gonna become necrotic, either it will or won’t.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

I really wonder how our ancestors survived without an urgent care or ER on every corner to run to over every little thing
View Quote

I don't advise people to go to the Dr for everything, but this could be serious.
We have longer life expectancy for a reason in this day and time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#26]
When my mom had her stroke, she was in a skill nursing facility with a roommate, and her roommate was there because she was bitten by a violin spider on her shoulder, very similar to a BR; the surgeons had to remove a huge portion of her shoulder muscle on the back because it was dying.

They know absolutely that it was violin spider because she rolled over and crushed it, and the docs found a crushed spider.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a certified internet medical expert I advise you to get to the Urgent Care NOW! A brown recluse bite is not anything to mess around with.
View Quote

I did go.  Script for antibiotics and was advised (see I do know how to use correctly) to go to ER when it turns black because UC doesn't do any cutting.

However an above poster had a good suggestion for self amputation that I am considering
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. Get on heavy antibiotics as a precaution. Don’t fuck around with spider bites and MRSA. It’s a deep puncture wound and they’ve got nasty bacteria they just injected into your blood stream. That will fuck you up worse than the venom.

Personal experience here.  My forearm was the size of a football and I got cellulitis (deep skin bacterial infection, can progress to life threatening)

Buddy at work spent a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics from a damn spider bite because he didn’t seek medical attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
go to UC, are you 12 years old

This. Get on heavy antibiotics as a precaution. Don’t fuck around with spider bites and MRSA. It’s a deep puncture wound and they’ve got nasty bacteria they just injected into your blood stream. That will fuck you up worse than the venom.

Personal experience here.  My forearm was the size of a football and I got cellulitis (deep skin bacterial infection, can progress to life threatening)

Buddy at work spent a month in the hospital on IV antibiotics from a damn spider bite because he didn’t seek medical attention.

This. A buddy's wife hot bit by a recluse putting her house shoes on. Ended up losing some small toes and foot meat. Go to the doctor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Hard to tell without pictures of the toe.
We don’t want to see your toe.
Go to the doctor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's a pic from yesterday.

https://ibb.co/0CrzJPj

Here is one at the UC today.

https://ibb.co/w7xk2RV

Edit:  The links work

Yeah, I need a pedicure
View Quote

Holy Christ man. There can't be a woman on the planet that'd get in bed next to those feet. If there is, I don't wanna see her.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Holy Christ man. There can't be a woman on the planet that'd get in bed next to those feet. If there is, I don't wanna see her.
View Quote

When you are hung like I am,they never look at my feet
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't be mistaken, if there were less people in this world that relied on a gun forum for medical advice, I think the world would be a better place.
View Quote
You are mistaken, at least here on ARFCOM, there are many knowledgeable people; even though most of us are gun people, we do work in a myriad of different professions, and I find that many observations and advice are spot on.

During the Sept 11, 2001 WTC/Pentagon Attack we had on the spot, real-time reporting, way better than the talking heads in the mainstream news media who have zero idea what they are talking about.

During August 29, 2005 NOLA/Katrina, we had on the spot reporting, way more accurate than the BS put out by the general news media. Plus we watched as the dikes on  Lake Pontchartrain broke flooding the countryside, and the mainstream media was no where to be found, since they pretty packed up their gear and left earlier, figuring that NOLA dodged a bullet. Only 24 hours later did the media reappear and pushing their BS.

During the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, we had a few people who were knowledgeable on nuclear reactors discussing how those things work, and what possibly they could do, way more interesting discussion that watching the rehash in the news media.

Plus most of the information was real information and not politically correct BS.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Most recluse bites are self treated at home. If you’re uncomfortable go see a doc though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Seeing a doctor is unnecessary unless it gets infected and you need antibiotics.  It wouldn't be infected this quickly.

If it's gonna become necrotic, either it will or won't.  There is nothing that will prevent such.

View Quote
Our ancestors also considered their 40s golden years.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I got tagged by somethin. 3 bites on lower left leg.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Most recluse bites are self treated at home. If you’re uncomfortable go see a doc though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Probably should go to a professional medical expert.

I only come to General Discussion for financial advice.
View Quote

Marriage counseling

Sexual performance problems

Breastfeeding advice

Legal counsel

DIY vasectomies

How to tell you are NOT Gay

GD is a one-stop shop for half-assed solutions to all of life’s problems

Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How did these people survive without the internet and cell phones is a better question.

It's almost like without the internet, a whole generation of people would be lying dead in the streets because it seems they can't make any decisions themselves without consulting the internet.
View Quote
Probably they just put honey on everything
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Ask for some Lamisil when you go back.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Get your A#S to the E.R.! Don't mess around. I got bit on my right foot and lost a toe, due to not even knowing about it till I pulled my boot off. It rode around in that boot for twelve hrs. at work and my foot was three shades of purple and swollen.
Get it checked and good luck! 10ring
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally some foot pics. Took you long enough.

I had a toe problem a few weeks ago. Swollen, boils, blisters, and redness. I just rubbed some HOCL on it and went about my day. It cleared up on its own, thanks to the excellent advice of the arfdocs here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Medical questions are best answered by a physician.  Call your doctor and ask.
View Quote

Are you suggesting a medical professional knows more than GD?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#45]
My advice:  find that motherfucker and kill it with maximum violence.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Updated: Back from urgent care, Doc said likely BR bite.  

Edit.  There is a wealth of informed information here at ARFCOM.  Many educated people and then there are those that posted in this thread.

Original post:

I got bit yesterday morning by what I believe was a Brown Recluse.  The bite was on the tip of my second toe,next to the big toe.

I first noticed a little irritation and thought I was developing an ingrown toe nail.

As the day progressed the toe continued to swell and by the end of the day the skin was mostly blistered.  I took Benedryl (50mg three times), so the histamine response was minimized.

Anyway this morning the toe is a little more swollen and a little more blistered.  Very sensitive to touch.   No throbbing or pain unless touched.

My question is at what point do I need medical attention?  From my research they really can not treat the reaction to the venom and can only excise the necrotic tissue, correct?

So go to the Doc when necrosis starts?  Or sooner?
View Quote

Same exact drugs they gave me when one got me on the face.  Bactrin and a dose pack.  I also got a few days of Amoxcillin.

When the necrosis starts (and it likely will, I sought medical attention w/in 24 hours) you'll want the area debrided.  I was debrided twice at the dermatologist.

I ran a slight temp, and the area felt like someone was putting a cigarette out on my face.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Brown Recluse carries not only venom, but also some very nasty bacteria.
My place was (once upon a time) plagued with them such that I received several bites over a few years time.
Yes, the bite area turning black is necrosis... return to doc or er at the first hint.
My ex-wife had to be hospitalized over a bite that went necrotic: it ate a big chunk of tissue away.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Bolt cutters and Whiskey.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I've gotten bit once for sure.  Another time I'm 99% sure it was a BR.  

Fortunately, they didn't really do much past a little white blister that went away.

My grandmother got bit by one on her chest 30 years ago.  She was diabetic and didn't go to the doc soon enough.  She died a couple times while in the hospital but they got her back both times.  Don't mess around with them but be glad it was on your toe.

And go get a stack of sticky traps and put them around in all the corners of your house and at the base of your beds.

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I use pesticides in the area around my house so no insects get in. The br have no reason to be there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top