Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ragnar Benson basically said bugging out equals refugee
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
What these threads never take into consideration is the millennials bug out plan is trying to get home to their boomer parents in their electric cars.  Meanwhile the eThots are all in line at Starbucks before they pick up their kid from school but the line isn’t moving because all the baristas were millennials.  So the boomer grandparents have to leave their homestead to come back to the city to get the kids from school and bring their generators to charge the EVs.      

Now it’s a bugout boomer EV MGTOW thread.  You’re welcome.  

Tl:dr everybody except gen x dies in the cities. Nobody makes it out alive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the materials already set aside to easily transform part of a storage building into a chicken coop and rabbit pen always ready to go. Seeds are always on hand and stored correctly. A few months if food always on hand. I live a few hundred yards from a river that has reliable fish spawns in spring and fall.
But more importantly, I have likeminded people that stay low about thier plans and have set up networks and trade deals for if and when the time comes.
We don't live it, don't constantly expound on it, but have agreements in place. And we blend in society without anyone knowing. "Preppers" that nobody would expect.
No need to go anywhere. Especially the support I can give and receive from my friends and customers in the farming community here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Something I forgot to mention in my initial post is roadways. Even if you have the best bug out location you have to be able to get there. The Interstates and even some of the secondary main roads will be clogged with people thinking they're going to escape. Go look at the photos and even videos of the vehicles piled up and not moving on the Interstates when people are fleeing hurricanes.

View Quote

additionally :  roadblocks

have seen roads made impassable after hurricanes by LE and / or locals
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’ll watch up at the barn.

If you’re urban I think you’re screwed.  I’ll be praying for ya.
View Quote

I'm with you...posting from my barn.

But I've smoked on this "rural isolation" thing a while. Say you have your rural property outfitted for "grid down/Pockylips forever" mode and it's just you and your fam. Urban goblins still have transportation. Many run in city swarms with ATVs and dirt bikes. With my own personal mini-bugout, can go anywhere, vehicle, a Yamaha ATV, i can lash on the bugout gear and extra fuel and go 100 miles in any point on the compass. So can a motivated goblin, or three.

My point is this...you and i could be standing in our rural organic garden during the first starvation crunch and still not notice that hungry guy in the bush who has a scoped .22 rifle trained on our our brain. The starvies aren't going to stay in starvie places after three days of no food.

The ones that gear up to go "Red Dawn" with full battle rattle will also be in for a surprise if they don't train and at least pre-supply "out there". Plus, if they think a rogue government can't touch them out in the boonies, they never heard of thermal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the materials already set aside to easily transform part of a storage building into a chicken coop and rabbit pen always ready to go. Seeds are always on hand and stored correctly. A few months if food always on hand. I live a few hundred yards from a river that has reliable fish spawns in spring and fall.
But more importantly, I have likeminded people that stay low about thier plans and have set up networks and trade deals for if and when the time comes.
We don't live it, don't constantly expound on it, but have agreements in place. And we blend in society without anyone knowing. "Preppers" that nobody would expect.
No need to go anywhere. Especially the support I can give and receive from my friends and customers in the farming community here.
View Quote

Best thinking so far, IMO. No man is an island. Our ancestors survived a natural world and others that tried to extinct them in tight clans. Everybody needs sleep and even care sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn't watch.
If you don't apply the 96hr rule to your bugging plans you're as good as dead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ragnar Benson basically said bugging out equals refugee
View Quote

Well, to be accurate as to what he actually said (I have his book)  - Ragnar ALSO included "if you have no 'retreat' already set up and stockpiled to go to."  He wrote books on building the perfect remote retreat.

Yeah if not, then wandering around and "living off the land," or handouts, would make you a refugee.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]
There won't be any wild game left within 2 weeks.  Get used to eating mice and songbirds, and feral cats and pitbulls.

Only the rich with enough money to buy real underground bunkers and true off grid utilities will make it.  And possibly people in their 20s.

Remember the average lifespan for pre-industrial people was 30-35 years.  That's because tired old 40+ year old people will not be able to keep up with the physical demands of a subsistence lifestyle.

If you are 40+, just plan to die in your home instead of dying on the road.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But I've smoked on this "rural isolation" thing a while. Say you have your rural property outfitted for "grid down/Pockylips forever" mode and it's just you and your fam. Urban goblins still have transportation. Many run in city swarms with ATVs and dirt bikes. With my own personal mini-bugout, can go anywhere, vehicle, a Yamaha ATV, i can lash on the bugout gear and extra fuel and go 100 miles in any point on the compass. So can a motivated goblin, or three.

My point is this...you and i could be standing in our rural organic garden during the first starvation crunch and still not notice that hungry guy in the bush who has a scoped .22 rifle trained on our our brain. The starvies aren't going to stay in starvie places after three days of no food.
View Quote
If the emergency is big enough, or last long enough, living rural won't save you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Best thinking so far, IMO. No man is an island. Our ancestors survived a natural world and others that tried to extinct them in tight clans. Everybody needs sleep and even care sometimes.
View Quote

While I would rather be isolated, by my nature of being outdoors doing fun stuff all the time.
The reality is that I look at what I have and where I am, close to those I can supply and who can supply me and my best option is to stay. And if that time comes, or I feel it's close, I can move on my options with my farmers, breeders and utilize the systems I've been slowly developing and putting in place.
Because after the first month and a half of every swinging dick with a gun poaching the last deer off of what will be a borderless free for all and shooting each other over meaningless No Trespassing signs at that point, the best thing to do is circle the wagons and control the area you can.
Hunger will make for some very desperate people.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Gonna chime in on this cause it's fun.

I don't think folks have to worry about degenerates from the big city coming out to the country to steal their crops, 99.9% of urbanites are not nearly that resourceful. Your threat is going to come from your neighbor, not the boroughs
of NYC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I always lol at the big city / suburbs bug out fantasy.

Where are they planning on running too? A state park? They will arrive and it will be packed like a Labor Day weekend, filled with people who threw shit in the car and hauled ass at he last minute. Surrounded by thousands of poorly prepared, hungry, desperate people, who will be looking at your well thought out stocked supplies and you’re going to have big problems fast.

Run to a random small town / camp in random woods / field? Yeah, someone owns that, and they will be removing you via force, maybe after robbing you.

Hell, even if you do own a remote hunting / vacation cabin, there’s no guarantee a small town will let ANY outsiders into their town, as they want their limited supplies to go to locals, that may well include giving your cabin to family members of locals who come back home.

I mean staying in a big city will have problems, and leaving to a safer, less populated area a good idea, but owning your own plot of land / cabin is your best option, next best is having friends in those areas who will let you camp out on their property, etc.

Planning to run deep into the wilderness like red dawn is probably the worst plan, unless you’re very skilled in the outdoors and well prepared, even then it could easily turn out badly.

State parks will all look like this in any bug out worthy event, and the vast majority will be out of food in 3 days and wanting yours.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of the considerations when we were shopping for a house was never having to "bug out."  

We don't get hurricanes, floods or earthquakes.  Far enough away from large urban areas so as to no have to worry about roving gangs of zombies.  Not close to any major rail lines.  

We never have problems with wildfires.  For those who don't know, the Great Lakes create their own weather systems, so it would never get that dry.

Sure an airplane could fall out of the sky or a rogue tornado could pop up, but the most likely outcome would be mild, not "finger of God" damage.

If there was ever a situation where we'd have to leave, it would be due to a scale of human calamity never seen in history.  And in that case, all bets are off, anyways.  Not worth planning, or even expending thought.

I plan to die in this house.  Whether by natural, or unnatural, causes.
View Quote

This. Like minded neighbors will help as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]

That does look like fun.

I've bugged out as far as I'm going to go. If the area I'm in turns into utter chaos then that's probably it for western civilization for the next 100 years or so.

I'm reminded of the scene in the WWZ book where a whole lot of people bug out to escape the zombies all the way to northern Canada where they are told that it's just too cold for zombies to shamble around. With a complete lack of infrastructure and hundreds of thousands of people, the results are both predictable and horrifying.

The character telling that part of the story talking about how her father said that they would live off the fat of the land frozen arctic tundra. Berries and moose-burgers was particularly haunting. It was a work of fiction but I could see that sort of thing happening in that kind of chaos.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#17]
For survival you need a well supplied retreat out in the sticks... a small ranch perhaps
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, to be accurate as to what he actually said (I have his book)  - Ragnar ALSO included "if you have no 'retreat' already set up and stockpiled to go to."  He wrote books on building the perfect remote retreat.

Yeah if not, then wandering around and "living off the land," or handouts, would make you a refugee.
View Quote

If you have a retreat, you aren't really bugging out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If the emergency is big enough, or last long enough, living rural won't save you.
View Quote

If we have that kind of grid down scenario then the only real option will be for people in rural areas to band together.

With cities no longer being supplied with food those in them will flow out looking for food. They will very likely be in the process of detoxing off of various substances. Especially prescription antidepressants. The effect that this will have will be... Unpredictable but probably incredibly unpleasant.

It would be a refugee crisis unparalleled in American history.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#20]
If you don't already own land out in the county and a cabin or other type of dwelling where you can bug off to easily within a few miles, you're gonna have a bad time when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I have always considered that to be bugging out. Leaving with no destination isn’t bugging out, it’s likely a death sentence.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been saying for over a decade that cannibalism will start in the national and state parks before anywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Wait, What?
All that bitching and moaning from you over the last two years about how you don't have two nickels to rub together, and you have been sitting on 200 acres?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 200 acres, two creeks, a pond and a functional old school well. I'm staying put. If SHTF occurs, sister wives may bathe and apply for citizenship.

Wait, What?
All that bitching and moaning from you over the last two years about how you don't have two nickels to rub together, and you have been sitting on 200 acres?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Already at nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Water is life and big game (you need big game to survive) is “almost” non existent.
Wild horses, Antelope, deer, pigs, and cattle will be your food supply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The desert will snatch the life right out of you

Water is life and big game (you need big game to survive) is “almost” non existent.
Wild horses, Antelope, deer, pigs, and cattle will be your food supply.

And Urban Long Pig, don’t eat the brains tho..
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#26]
In the country, staying put. We are heavily armed, and we have food.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#27]
i'm not giving a rando youtuber 15 minutes of my life without at least a synopsis.  my thoughts:

the biggest problem with SHTF thinking is the concept of SHTF in the first place.  what does that mean to you, and is your meaning actionable?  what is bugging out, and how is it different than just getting out of town for a few days until things calm down?

one thing is for sure: if bugging out is under consideration, it means that you are trying to decide which is more at risk: life or property.  it involves willingness to come back to a smoking hole because you chose not to roof korean your home or business.  so that clarifies things somewhat.  if you BO, you have decided that the threat to your life is severe enough that you're willing to sacrifice almost all of your fixed property to mitigate it.  

if the threat is that bad, then yes - just getting out of town is a good idea.  you don't need a place to go in order to make that decision.  but as soon as you pull out of your driveway, you're on the clock supply-wise.  unless you have a place and a plan to generate caloric income, things could go badly quickly.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
If I leave it will be as a very last resort. I live in mountainous region in a true SHTF situation I'm going to use the familiarity of the area and terrain to my advantage just like the Viet Cong/Taliban.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#29]
You should never bug out unless you know the answers to four questions:

1) Where are you going?
2) How are you going to get there?
3) What’s going to be there when you get there?
4) Why is being there going to be better than staying where you already are?

The whole “Grab SKS, go innawoods” thing is a fantasy. 90% of the time, bugging out is the wrong choice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Urban: GTFO
White Suburbia - middle, upper middle, upper: Stay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll watch up at the barn.

If you’re urban I think you’re screwed.  I’ll be praying for ya.

Suburban would get dicey too.

My little patch of suburban heaven, major intersection to major intersection is about 1.6 miles x 2 miles (irregular shaped) for a total area of ~1662 acres.  It is relatively blessed (by suburban standards) with green areas (parks, golf course, creeks, schools, open areas) and has about 331 acres that are open fields.

UN2020 population estimate for the area is 11,036 people.  It's probably 3,000 more than that today because they've built a couple of apartment complexes that have don't register pop in the UN population estimate.

Absolute best case, you can feed 4-5 people on a single acre with labor intensive agriculture in absolutely favorable conditions (good seed, good pesticide, good fertilizer, good water, good soil).  

So, there's enough land to *maybe* feed 1300 people top end without utilizing backyards.  Realistically though, you're probably looking at feeding 1 person an acre, but let's round up and say we can feed 400 people.  

That's without reclaiming any backyards, but he houses are pretty well packed in, so you are probably only looking at enough land to maybe doubling that to 660 acres.  

Realistic estimate = feeding 500-800 people on that, top end greenhouse style intensive cultivation, maybe getting you to 3200.

So, in an extended SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation, 8,000 people are going to have either have food shipped in for them from somewhere else, find another place to live when their stored food runs out, steal food from other people, or die (and realistically, it would be way worse than that, because you have to plant crops, then wait 6-8 weeks before the fastest growing food becomes available).

I don't think my suburb is particularly bad off by way of comparison to other suburbs.  In fact, there's some surrounding areas where the closest green fields are the green fields I counted as being "my suburb's".

So yeah, the suburbs would be fucked too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any location, even remote, rural ones, would be perilous in a true TEOTWAWKI situation.  You'd be mistaken if you think a rural farm would be safe, as people, from single persons to roaming hoards, will be like locusts searching for food and supplies.  Probably the best situation would be a rural town where there are enough people for mutual defense, but not too many to exhaust the food from de-industrialized farming.

The hollers in rural KY, WV, TN, etc. would probably do alright, once the meth/fentanyl ran out.
View Quote

This; You need a community small enough to raise enough food to be self-sufficient, but large enough to hold off a large refugee / marauder band.  Your family homestead with a few extended families, and 10-20 fighting age adults will get overrun by a small refugee band of 500 people.

Realistically, you would need a community of around 2,000 people to have a fighting chance once the population of the cities take to the road.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I know at least 50% of the people on my block. We would not be a soft target.
My family and hot pockets are at this location. Do your worst.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#33]
In an urban area...why would I want to bug out?  I'd be missing all of the fun.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know at least 50% of the people on my block. We would not be a soft target.
My family and hot pockets are at this location. Do your worst.
View Quote

Man, I just wanna swap you some ammo for clean water and ask if your sil is single, no need to be all snippy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in an urban environment. I'm bugging out to my parents house 40 minutes west. If it went to shit in America that's where the family will meet up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think folks have to worry about degenerates from the big city coming out to the country to steal their crops, 99.9% of urbanites are not nearly that resourceful. Your threat is going to come from your neighbor, not the boroughs
of NYC.
View Quote

I tend to agree with this to a great degree. Most inner city urbanites never leave the pavement. Most live and die in a few black area and some have never been outside of their comfort zone for very long.

From what I have read over the years about gang stuff, the guy that robs the big shot for $100,000 always seems to get whacked pretty damned close to home. You'd think they'd take the money and run even it's to another shithole city but for some reason most of those people never leave.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't disagree with anything in the video. If you have a place to bug out to, then do it. But if your plan is to head out into the wilderness and survive on what you can carry with you, you are in trouble.

That being said, the problem with SHTF is that there are a lot of different SHTF scenarios and you don't know which one you will face.

In a nuclear exchange where a couple dozen cities are hit, you can bet that everyone is going to be fleeing the cities however they can and they will be out in the countryside swarming like starving locusts. On average the US has about 100 people per square mile and much of that land is completely uninhabitable. (That's one person for every 6 acres) So, in the event of a nuclear exchange you are going to have to defend your farm from literal armies of desperate starving people. Forget living in the woods and surviving in this case as you will not be alone and will have to fight to survive.

Or, consider a Carrington Event where all electricity goes away for the foreseeable future. People might not be as desperate to flee to the countryside in this case but things would get bad everywhere.

And how about a plague that kills 90% of the infected people? Completely different situation.

Or a civil war? Again, completely different. Then fleeing to the countryside might be to flee to the countryside as who wants to be trapped in a starving city with packs of gender fluid leftists?

And then there are all manner of other, milder SHTF situations. Suppose that supervolcano in Italy erupts big time and we get a few years of really, really cold weather, along with the entire Mediterranean being wiped out? Or Yellowstone?

Bottom line is, your best bet is to have some rural land, a home you can defend on that rural land, some ability to farm, a bunch of food stored up, some gold and silver stored, plenty of guns and ammo, and a bunch of like minded friends. But, no one gets out of this world alive and there are no guarantees.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:13:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I tend to agree with this to a great degree. Most inner city urbanites never leave the pavement. Most live and die in a few black area and some have never been outside of their comfort zone for very long.

From what I have read over the years about gang stuff, the guy that robs the big shot for $100,000 always seems to get whacked pretty damned close to home. You'd think they'd take the money and run even it's to another shithole city but for some reason most of those people never leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

of NYC.

Hunger can drive a person to do all sorts of crazy things. If the bodegas and whatnot in those cities have been picked clean who knows what's going to happen?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wait, What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in the country and staying put.

I have 200 acres, two creeks, a pond and a functional old school well. I’m staying put. If SHTF occurs, sister wives may bathe and apply for citizenship.

Wait, What?

We bought our land in 2014. No mortgage. When we divorced I got the house and land but she retains 50% or the equity until I buy her out or sell the place. It’s been a bitch to hang into it and the house, I was wiped out financially in the aftermath of losing my job. My saving got wiped out in legal fees and bills, there were literally weeks in 2022 where we hunted small game and broke into the stash of rice and dried bean because otherwise the electric wouldn’t get paid. The house/land was all I had left, and I think in my divorce thread I explained  I have hung onto this place for my kids and scrimped every nickel. I didn’t get a decent job until this June and it’s still 1/3 of what I was making when I was a psych nurse. Saved every nickel this year to pay my taxes.

People kept telling me to sell off some of the land but I’d have to give 50% to the ex. I’m rolling the dice that her unhealthy lifestyle will free me from our agreement in the next five years or so. That’s kind of cold but honestly, that would be the best possible outcome.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm in an urban environment. I'm bugging out to my parents house 40 minutes west. If it went to shit in America that's where the family will meet up.
View Quote

That makes sense.

When I was a kid sometime after my grandmother died I remember my dad telling me that when she passed it was the end of the plan. He and his brother said if anything happened they were going to her house with their families to take on the world as a team.

circa 1959 or maybe 60.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Stay off my lawn(d).
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Not in the country but not in the city. Subdivision in a small town of 600 people. Plenty of farmland nearby as well as water sources until they freeze up in winter, then it's melted snow coffee like the Nork propaganda videos say.

Not going anywhere. If SHTF I'm likely safer here with all my preps, guns, ammo, etc. than bugging out in the middle of nowhere.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
My wheel barrow cant carry all my cans of sweet corn and corned beef.

I will be here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Sometimes it’s best to stay put.

Sometimes it’s best to GTFO.

Sometimes it’s best to hide.

Sometimes it’s best to fight.

Sometimes it’s best to run.

Sometimes it’s best to join a group

Sometimes it’s best to be a lone wolf.

Any and all could work, alone or in multiples.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That does look like fun.

I've bugged out as far as I'm going to go. If the area I'm in turns into utter chaos then that's probably it for western civilization for the next 100 years or so.

I'm reminded of the scene in the WWZ book where a whole lot of people bug out to escape the zombies all the way to northern Canada where they are told that it's just too cold for zombies to shamble around. With a complete lack of infrastructure and hundreds of thousands of people, the results are both predictable and horrifying.

The character telling that part of the story talking about how her father said that they would live off the fat of the land frozen arctic tundra. Berries and moose-burgers was particularly haunting. It was a work of fiction but I could see that sort of thing happening in that kind of chaos.
View Quote
Lucifer's Hammer had a good scene too, when Tim Hamner (IIRC) arrives at his well stocked observatory only to find it already occupied and gets turned away at gun point. The odds of your well stocked bug out location being looted or occupied by the time you reach it is pretty high if someone doesn't reside there full time.

Me? I'm bugging in. We're in ranch county, and have a good relationship with our neighbors. Only a couple roads in and out of here and everyone has access to heavy equipment to create  obstacles.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's my thinking. Per "Lights Out" a small, well equipped and organized community offers a diversity of skill sets that's hard to match. Also provides more manpower to keep constant watch for threats.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#47]
bugging out should have a destination.

SHTF can be local - e.g. a hurricane, meaning destination might be "inland" and no more specific

but out plan could be to head to the cabin several hours drive away
but out plan might be to head to a relative in an area perceived to be less impacted
but out plan could also end up being to get to a government refugee camp in a worst case scenario

in any of the above, having a bug out bag could be incredibly helpful and advantageous

but it should never be to head to the woods and become bear grylls magically overnight.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#48]
If I don't bug out how am I supposed to use the 25,000' of paracord every thread in 2010 said I had to have?!
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pull up anchor, turn on water maker, turn AIS off, hoist sails and sit off of one of Bahamas deserted islands.  

I could literally do this in less than 30 minutes.

I'll ride out the winter in warmth.

Things I wish I had before I bug out:
FLIR camera
Electric dinghy motor
My SSB radio working
Another 50# rice
20-30 cans of food
More bug spray and sunscreen
View Quote
Hope you're well armed. Sailboat = zero chance of escaping bad guys in speedboats. And they will be out there. Hope you have an exceedingly remote anchorage in mind.

ETA: Unless you plan to avoid proximity to any land enroute  to someplace where TSH not HTF.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hope you're well armed. Sailboat = zero chance of escaping bad guys in speedboats. And they will be out there. Hope you have an exceedingly remote anchorage in mind.
View Quote

Probably the ultimate bug out option. Nuclear powered submarine!

Resistance Headquarters (Extended scene) | Terminator Salvation [Director's Cut]

Well... Until the thing starts falling apart from lack of maintenance.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top