Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The people CERTAIN that it happened this way or that put an awful lot of faith in a government known to keep very important information from its subjects citizens. It also assumes the "brave men and women at the FBI" wouldn't manipulate evidence to show it happened one way or the other.

I just don't believe anything... Are we even sure Kennedy is really dead?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one of my fav drills when i was practicing for PRS stuff was shooting plate racks at 500 yards and a dueling tree at 300 yards.  five 6" plates, either vertically or horizontally and my clean time would almost always be 11-12 seconds.    I've got plenty of videos of me shooting 2 plates at 400 yards in 2 seconds.   and i'm not even that good.  i bet the top 20% of prs shooters could beat that.

granted, i was using a custom impact action and 6.5x47L not a ww2 gun and caliber.   i may be talking out my ass as i don't recall ever shooting a carcano before, but it can't be that hard.  i'm pretty sure you could shoot 3 rounds and get 2 hits in 6 seconds.
View Quote

The bolt open cam needs a bit of force but otherwise it’s fine.  The trigger pull is light and smooth but a pretty long sweep.  The safety is old school suckage and likely not used by anyone.   Granted this is my experience with 2 Finnish surplus 7.35mm carcanos.  A  different but larger version of the older 6.5 Carcano.  The zero with iron sights is very high from the post WW1 thinking of BZO to stupid long ranges.   The guns were easily 3 MOA with italian surplus ammunition.   Iirc 15” high at a 100 yards.  All of which is irrelavent as Oswald used a 6.5 with a scope on it.  In fact I think open sights would have been the better option at that 88 yard shot distance.   Just not 15” high.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The people CERTAIN that it happened this way or that put an awful lot of faith in a government known to keep very important information from its subjects citizens. It also assumes the "brave men and women at the FBI" wouldn't manipulate evidence to show it happened one way or the other.

View Quote
Saying Oswald did not kill Kennedy is not the same thing as saying the shot was impossible to make.
I have no clue whether or not Oswald killed him, I am fairly confident that he COULD have made the shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
They're not hard shots to make.

A friend and I got in trouble on a state range with a 5 seconds between shots rule, multiple times, shooting a Anshutz single shot target rifle, off-hand, at paper plates at 100yds while single loading out of an open federal bulk pack on the bench in front of us.  

The range asshole minion actually was timing it with a stop watch, and already had a hard-on for us since we wanted to shoot standing up.  

What really happened to JFK, I have no idea, though the rifle shots aren't suspicious themselves.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I went there a few years back and looking out that same window this was my thought as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.

I went there a few years back and looking out that same window this was my thought as well.

Try it with a twenty dollar mail order rifle in minimal condition like he did.

Then get back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Simple ~60 yard shot.

All of the conspiracy theories including the magic bullet have been fully debunked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is my theory. And he took that to his grave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve always thought that President Kennedy walked into one that day.

Or the grassy knoll.

Or a Secret Service Guy had a negligent discharge.

This is my theory. And he took that to his grave.

Um, wouldn’t you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IDK if OldPainless still posts here, but it would be an awesome Box of Truth to recreate the shots.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

A bunch of us have done it. 10 MOA target at 80 yards one out of three times is child's play even without an optic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It’s always interesting to see how critical certain people are of the “official” story yet they completely throw out all logic and reason in accepting the “alternate” version of events.
View Quote

It's fake critical thinking. They borrow someone else's reasoning and pretend it's their own. Hence, the apparent inconsistency.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then get back.
View Quote

That's a $200 rifle in today's money.

My Enfield cost $32.  It was sitting in a barrel with other Enfields in a Gibson's hardware.  Even as decrepit and cursed with cataracts as I am today, I STILL would have no trouble making that shot.  Repeatedly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
4x scope? Rested. It should be pretty easy to get back on target. Knowing the first shot was a miss, it would be really easy to game it and fire with your focus being the bolt cycle and target acquisition for the second shot.

Any theories on how he missed the first shot? That is the biggest mystery to me. Unless he was just shaking uncontrollably, then 2 shots on target in 6 seconds seems unlikely.
View Quote

Perhaps jitters but my best guess is he only practiced on a flat range.  Shooting downward he needed to hold a little lower.   If he actually was attempting a head shot then a miss was likely on a dead on hold.   I doubt he was going for the head though.   That’d be a dumb risk to his mission.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yeah I've been there also. Not that hard of shot. Not a easy shot and Oswald got lucky with the last shot that took off the top of his head. That was almost a miss.

As far as the 6 second thing goes, that is between the shots. He might have aimed for several seconds before the first shot. The first shot starts the clock.
View Quote

After which you recover from recoil and work the bolt (those can be simultaneous operations), find the slow moving target in your 1960 vintage 4X Tasco, figure out why you missed, score a high torso hit, do it all over again aiming 10" higher and score a head shot. Possible but not easy, especially if you don't have experience shooting people and your blood is pounding in your ears.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then get back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been there, and looked out the window to the X they have painted on the street. A half ass rifle shooter could make that shot easy.

Then get back.
Do you own a Mosin-Nagant?

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to be in three places at once.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then a half-assed secret service certainly could have defended against it then...
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My Enfield cost $32.  It was sitting in a barrel with other Enfields in a Gibson's hardware.  Even as decrepit and cursed with cataracts as I am today, I STILL would have no trouble making that shot.  Repeatedly.
View Quote
The cost is a distraction in that argument you replied to. How could $20 be accurate or any good? Seems logical enough and it sets you up for the actual argument of how could a carcano make those hits. I don't think people realized how good some of the initial surplus rifles were.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I read some books where people discuss shooting I immediately think of some of the threads here where people talk about sex. I have the same "are these guys just repeating what they've hears others say" reaction.
View Quote
They feel like bags of sand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get back.

Yes.
A 1944 Tula.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The bolt open cam needs a bit of force but otherwise it’s fine.  The trigger pull is light and smooth but a pretty long sweep.  The safety is old school suckage and likely not used by anyone.   Granted this is my experience with 2 Finnish surplus 7.35mm carcanos.  A  different but larger version of the older 6.5 Carcano.  The zero with iron sights is very high from the post WW1 thinking of BZO to stupid long ranges.   The guns were easily 3 MOA with italian surplus ammunition.   Iirc 15” high at a 100 yards.  All of which is irrelavent as Oswald used a 6.5 with a scope on it.  In fact I think open sights would have been the better option at that 88 yard shot distance.   Just not 15” high.
View Quote

It's been postulated Oswald may have used the iron sights but the carcano sights are unique and not intuitive. The diagram shows how the front blade (mirino) is supposed to be positioned in the v notch.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#21]
To put into perspective the target size of ballpark 10 MOA a $400 AR from PSA with the cheapest contract overrun M193 will typically shoot a group a third to a quarter of the size needed. If a Carcano is a 5 MOA gun (most are significantly better) that's still twice the accuracy needed for consistent hits.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I try to read 12 non-fiction books a year. This month's selection on my list was The JFK Assassination: Facts They Don't Want You To Know, by Philippe Cassard.

Cassard is a European. One of his opinions, and he says most Europeans are of the same opinion, is that Americans are nuts or thinking a lone, crazed gunman could have pulled off the shots that happened in Dealy Plaza, Dallas, on November 22, 1963.

In the chapter where Cassard examines ballistic evidence, there was this passage, which I thought arfcommers would find interesting:

...veteran, Carlos Hathcock, the best Marine fighter, confirmed that he had tried to carry out a series of gunshots in Quantico Marine Corps base under the same conditions as those Oswald was supposed to use on Dealey Plaza. Hathcock summed up the impossible task: "Let me tell you what we did at Quantico. We reconstructed the whole thing: the angle, the range, the moving target, the time limit, the obstacles, everything ... I don’t know how many times we tried it but we couldn’t duplicate what the Warren Commission said Oswald did. Now, if I can’t do it, how in the world could a guy who was a non-qualified on the rifle range and later only qualified as ‘marksman’ do it?"
View Quote

Relevant footnotes to the passage:
1. Jesse Ventura – They Killed Our President – 2013. Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.
2. Roberts Craig–Kill Zone: A Sniper Looks at Dealey Plaza–1994. Consolidated Press

I was alive and remember exactly where I was when I heard JFK was killed, even though I did not understand the implications at the time. I have a book on the Warren Commission Report that I inherited from my father, who, as a Korean War vet and lifetime hunter proclaimed tthat the report was "pure T horsesh*t".

I did not know that Hathcock had participated in the reenactment, or that he had voiced an opinion.
View Quote

Thousands of Americans make similar shots EVERY FALL.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes.
A 1944 Tula.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get back.

Yes.
A 1944 Tula.

And you don't think you could make a head shot at 60 yards from a resting position?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I went there I was shocked at how close it was and the angle. I had been told it was so far it was impossible
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then a half-assed secret service certainly could have defended against it then...
View Quote

What exactly, would they be defending against?  The shooter was done. He was on his way out of the building long before any coherent response.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless you ignore the laws of physics, JFK was shot in the forehead because his brains and skull ended up on the trunk of the vehicle he was riding in.

Someone "found" Lee Harvey Oswald's nearly perfect bullet on JFK's stretcher on the way into the hospital, as if is it was captured by his clothing and fell there. One shot (the one that passed through JFK's back and hit John Conelly) was definitely fired from behind, whether LHO fired that, remains a mystery.
View Quote

Just so I have this right, there is zero blowback when shooting a human. Is that what you are saying?

Then we have to look at the aspect of fast vehicle movement and the crime scene photos place a majority of the head wound debris in the vehicle.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

He is chilling with Elvis and Tupac on an island, while Marilyn Monroe serves them tea.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Unless you ignore the laws of physics, JFK was shot in the forehead because his brains and skull ended up on the trunk of the vehicle he was riding in.

Someone "found" Lee Harvey Oswald's nearly perfect bullet on JFK's stretcher on the way into the hospital, as if is it was captured by his clothing and fell there. One shot (the one that passed through JFK's back and hit John Conelly) was definitely fired from behind, whether LHO fired that, remains a mystery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The shots were modeled multiple times and found to be consistent with being shot from the rear.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5934694/
U.S. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in an open motorcade by a sniper in Dallas, Texas on 22 November 1963. A civilian bystander, Mr. Abraham Zapruder, filmed the motorcade with a 8-mm home movie camera as it drove through Dealey Plaza, inadvertently recording an  8 second sequence of events that included a fatal gunshot wound to the President in the head. The accompanying backward motion of the President's head after impact appeared to support later "conspiracy theories" because it was claimed that this was proof of a shot from the front (in addition to one from behind). In this paper, simple one-dimensional dynamical models are uniquely applied to study in detail the fatal shot and the motion of the President's head observed in the film. Using known parameters from the crime scene, explicit force calculations are carried out for determining the projectile's retardation during tissue passage along with the resulting transfer of momentum and kinetic energy (KE). The computed instantaneous KE transfer within the soft tissue is found to be consistent with the formation of a temporary cavity associated with the observed explosion of the head, and subsequent quantitative examination of this phenomenon reveals two delayed forces at play in the backward motion of the President following impact. It is therefore found that the observed motions of President Kennedy in the film are physically consistent with a high-speed projectile impact from the rear of the motorcade, these resulting from an instantaneous forward impulse force, followed by delayed rearward recoil and neuromuscular forces.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0379073822000949
Almost 60 years after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963, the majority of Americans are still reluctant to believe official reports presented by the commissions gathered in 1964 and again in 1976 that determined the direction of the shot resulting in the fatal head injury. Long-withheld, confidential government files released in 2017 reignited the controversy. The present investigation computationally simulated projectile-skull-impacts from the direction specified in official reports and from three other directions. Detailed geometric models of the human head and ammunition, as well as known parameters from the assassination site served as the supportive base for analysis. Constitutive mathematical models for the impact of projectile material with skull tissues at supersonic speed were employed to analyze bone and bullet fragmentation mechanics. Simulated fracture characteristics of bone and bullet were compared with photographic and X-ray evidence. The most likely origin of the fatal shot was determined based on the degree of corresponding deformation and fragmentation between simulation and documented evidence. Computational corroboration could be established as physically consistent with high-speed impact from the rear, as established by the official commissions. Simulations of three other speculative shot origins did not correspond with the documented evidence.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He is chilling with Elvis and Tupac on an island, while Marilyn Monroe serves them tea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, isn't Walt Disney there too?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

BTDT, agree.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then get back.
View Quote

I have a well used Carcano, so I'm familiar with how they shoot/operate.

I'm not saying it would be a cake walk, but it's not something that seems at all impossible to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I've read that the shots with the distances and angles can be duplicated rather easily. I've never done it, of course.

Anyway, a nut job with a shitty rifle and little skill could luck into the kill shots, even if for one time. I'm thinking of some distant and "impossible" targets I have hit, more out of blind luck than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And you don't think you could make a head shot at 60 yards from a resting position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get back.

Yes.
A 1944 Tula.

Moving?
No. Lol

Edit: if I did, then mostlikely not consistently.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I shot 3 does at 100 yards once, a shot every 2 seconds, using a model 7 bolt action in 308 while standing, and the last 2 running after the first shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three shots in 6 seconds on a moving target With a WWII Carcano?

You must be very good.

I shot 3 does at 100 yards once, a shot every 2 seconds, using a model 7 bolt action in 308 while standing, and the last 2 running after the first shot.

[fucking eyeroll]

Sure thing shooter…
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It sounds like he didn't even load the weapon until after the headshot too.
View Quote

After the headshot, or concurrent with the headshot?
Manipulating the rifle with the safety off, simultaneous with the headshot, might help the M16 argument more than hurt it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
BS. Been recreated mnay times.  

My high school buddies did it with a deer stand shooting into a draw with paper targets. Rifle was an iron sighted #4 Enfield since none of us owned a Carcano.  

For the record, we also duplicated the MLK shooting with the same rifle.

This is the sort of thread that convinces me that a hell of a lot of GD has never touched a rifle outside a video game.
View Quote

How did you duplicate the stress levels that would be induced by taking the shot in broad daylight with the intended target being the leader of the free world?

It's not a difficult shot when done on paper with range conditions.

I think the psychological aspect of the shot is often overlooked/rarely considered.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

[fucking eyeroll]

Sure thing shooter…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Three shots in 6 seconds on a moving target With a WWII Carcano?

You must be very good.

[fucking eyeroll]

Sure thing shooter…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How did you duplicate the stress levels that would be induced by taking the shot in broad daylight with the intended target being the leader of the free world?

I think the psychological aspect of the shot is often overlooked/rarely considered.

View Quote

How do you know he was stressed?  After all, the man was a nutcase on a mission. Hell, it might have been the most fun he ever had.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#39]
A popular tongue in cheek Texas theory was they were attempting to assassinate Connolly.

JFK simply got in the way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are an agent of communism that has spent your entire life working against the West this would be a moment of joy and not fear. Oswald wasn't a criminal he was striking a blow for the workers of the world. Fucker was probably giggling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which of those two sources was the alleged Hathcock quote from?

I've never seen a serious shooter not think those were pretty basic conditions. It's... tough for me to believe.
View Quote

The source appears to be a Vietnam-era Marine sniper named Craig Roberts. He claims he spoke with Hathcock and that was his take.

Roberts also has several books where he claims to have been a first-hand witness to a cover-up of the Oklahoma City bombing and numerous other conspiracies.

I'm sure if he's alive today he would be happy to tell you all about his inside information regarding COVID vaccines and the 2020 election over beers at the VFW.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Then get back.
View Quote

Look at these junk rifles in these ads....

Enfield is trash and no way you could hit a 100 yd shot.

Swiss one is trash too.

1903 is trash

Do you want me to keep finding ads or are you going to admit a less than 100 yd shot is pretty doable even with a cheap gun?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A popular tongue in cheek Texas theory was they were attempting to assassinate Connolly.

JFK simply got in the way.
View Quote
Why would LBJ wanna kill Connolly?

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if that person is a sociopath or psychopath?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it would be a cake walk, but it's not something that seems at all impossible to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get back.

A $20 rifle in 1960 comes out to about $118 in 2000 per CPI inflation which is when I got my M48 yugo. I think I paid around $150-180 for it at the local gun store with some ammo which seems about right for a retail resell surplus. It was a lot more accurate than I was expecting with that hot turkish ammo. Beat my shoulder all to hell though. With some new wolf 8mm I could run it like a clock though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

How do you know he was stressed?  After all, the man was a nutcase on a mission. Hell, it might have been the most fun he ever had.
View Quote

It is noted historically that Oswald was an emotional basket case type who even attempted suicide in Russia at one point.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It is noted historically that Oswald was an emotional basket case type who even attempted suicide in Russia at one point.
View Quote

But that is not indicative of a person being so stressed they could not shoot. What matters is how was he at the time of shooting. Nothing else/
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get back.

Exaggerating the inaccuracy and crudeness of the rifle is another common trope of these discussions. It's a military rifle and built for abuse, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least a 3 MOA system with the ammo he had.

Sheesh, the A-Team could have made those shots with Carcanos.

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Simple ~60 yard shot.

All of the conspiracy theories including the magic bullet have been fully debunked.
View Quote

The Magic Bullet nonsense that the Kennedy killers put out there has never been debunked.
The shots from the sixth floor are stupid simple with iron alone but two hits from there didn’t cause all that carnage.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What if that person is a sociopath or psychopath?
View Quote

This was the KGB's killing Osama Bin Laden moment. Their guy got in the right place and made the shot with enough deniability and the political situation meant the US was not going to admit to it. They knew about the CIA's wiretap at KGB in Mexico but they had nothing but a phone call from Oswald before he met with his KGB officer in person. The CIA didn't have that conversation on tape but it's pretty obvious that it was either a go order or a set up for a go order.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top