Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1940's Chevy GM Tech is the replacement for Mopar Hemi in the 21st Century?  

But I look at stuff Daimler-Benz has been able to do, far from the days when More Horsepower = More C.I.

Or far cry from putting the same Maybach engine from 40+ ton tanks into 50+ ton tanks.
View Quote

What straight six had twin turbos and fuel injection in the 40's?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
will you have to pull the intake manifold just to replace spark plugs like on the pentastar?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Inline 6 is best 6.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
CSB for today . I know many will think I’m lying , but this is a true story . I am a true texas redneck amateur gearhead that was around a family of mopar people in my early years of mid teens through now . My buddy’s dad had a mopar graveyard on his “farm” . There was an old Plymouth sent to the graveyard because it was rusted out and the tranny was fucked . While drinking beer and feeding the hogs we decided to get the slant six running for an experiment ! We charged up a battery , topped off the oil and water , and put fresh fuel in it . After cleaning the points and adjusting them the old girl fired up . We let her run for awhile to get to temp and then shut it off . We was outta beer so we waited . Coupla days later we had to feed hogs again so we loaded the feed in the truck and made damn sure we had plenty of cold beer . And a brick . We fed the hogs and went and fired the old girl up . Buddy took the brick , put it on the gas pedal, and we sat on the truck tailgate and drank beer . We waited and bet how many beers it would take before it had a cast iron fit . It lived . Out of mercy I removed the pbrick and shut her down . She fired right back up . No shit , this actually happened !
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]

the leaning tower of power
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By wheel diameter (big vs Small) Which turbine wheel sees exhaust gas first and which compressor wheel dis charges to the cylinders?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s pretty common to have a smaller charger feeding a larger charger.  It reduces lag.

The only thing better than a big turbo is a big turbo being fed by a smaller turbo.

By wheel diameter (big vs Small) Which turbine wheel sees exhaust gas first and which compressor wheel dis charges to the cylinders?

Smaller high pressure charger sees exhaust first.  Both compressor wheels go to intake independently.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 3.6 doesnt make 300 ft/lb torque at any rpm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 3.6 does that with no mods.  And gets better mpg.  And meets emissions.

The 3.6 doesnt make 300 ft/lb torque at any rpm

Pffft, an impact wrench makes more torque han that wngine.  Clearly we ought to be building giant impact wrench mechanisms to propel vehicles.Run'em off big brushless motors and it'll be supergreen.  Earmuffs may be required.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#8]
not interested in Fiat products.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
yes, it is

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So it's a 2jzGTE copy?

View Quote

You should know that Toyota has no claim on being the only great 6 or twins. Awesome, yeah, but not the only.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Smaller high pressure charger sees exhaust first.  Both compressor wheels go to intake independently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s pretty common to have a smaller charger feeding a larger charger.  It reduces lag.

The only thing better than a big turbo is a big turbo being fed by a smaller turbo.

Got an example of that system?  The series systems I’m familiar with have the large/low pressure CW feeding the small/HP CW.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Got an example of that system?  The series systems I’m familiar with have the large/low pressure CW feeding the small/HP CW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A normal sequential turbo setup is plumbed thusly: On the exhaust side, Exhaust Manifold>Small Turbo>Big Turbo>Atmosphere. On the intake side, Atmosphere>Big Turbo>Small Turbo>Intake.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A normal sequential turbo setup is plumbed thusly: On the exhaust side, Exhaust Manifold>Small Turbo>Big Turbo>Atmosphere. On the intake side, Atmosphere>Big Turbo>Small Turbo>Intake.
View Quote

We’re saying the same thing. It’s the LP & HP compressors (of a series turbine stage) independently feeding the inlet plenum that I haven’t seen. Unless I’m missing something the compressor discharge pressures will be different and you’re going to have a bit of an issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

3.6 > 4.0.  More hp, more tq, better mpg.  Just as reliable.
View Quote

That is almost certainly false.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But it is still a Chrysler.
View Quote

My question too.

Is it a fiat?

I very highly doubt it will be as notable as the slant six was and still is.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#16]

WILD SLANT SIX - 225 Chrysler Build and Dyno | Iconic Engine Series
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.stellpower.com/news-2022/gme-t6-tornado-engine-may-be-coming-to-new-york-this-year/

Is “Tornado” inline six coming to New York?
February 10, 2022 by David Zatz

Years ago, Allpar broke the news of a new inline six-cylinder planned for trucks and coded “Tornado,” after the plane—though there was a Jeep Tornado engine. Nobody at Stellantis has gone on record about the new straight-six engine until very recently, though the turbocharged “Tornado” six was briefly listed in the company’s list of plants. As Stellpower had already reported weeks earlier, the engine was listed as being made in Saltillo, currently home of every Hemi V8.

Autoblog reported today that the GME T6 will likely be coming to the New York Auto Show, under the hood of the Grand Cherokee. This is based on a media event where their reporter asked Jim Morrison, head of Jeep, about the engine, and Morrison asked them, “Are you coming to New York?” It’s a good hint.

The new inline six-cylinder engine will have standard and high output versions. It is slated for every vehicle now sporting the 5.7 Hemi—the Ram 1500, Wrangler, Gladiator, Grand Cherokee, and Wagoneer, joining the Dodge Challenger when, in 2023 or 2024, a new generation hits the streets.

The GME T6 will likely exceed Hemi peak output (395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet), but that’s not as important as one would think, since it will reach peak torque earlier and maintain it longer, providing stronger acceleration than the normally aspirated V8. Based on 4xe acceleration in the Jeep Wrangler, a hybrid version of the T6 could outrun the 392 and perhaps challenge, if not match, the original Hellcats.  More on the GME T6 “Tornado”…

Original source: Allpar. This update: Autoblog
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ll be interested . The slant 6s were damn near bombproof
View Quote

A large part of that is that the slants were designed to be an open deck aluminum engine using the (crappy) aluminum of the era, and when they went to cast iron closed deck, they didn't shrink the dimensions, they left all the beef there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Well, it also underperforms its competition.  People want more hp, more tq, and better mpg.  Time moves on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The EPA is the only reason they killed it.

Probably could have designed a modern crossflow head to meet emissions, tho.

Well, it also underperforms its competition.  People want more hp, more tq, and better mpg.  Time moves on.
Ok, you got your boyscout patch for evangelism for the engine you like.

Now go do the vegan one. Than the crossfit one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ford 6.2 & Penstar are over a decade old.   My point being though DI is present on a majority of engines,  you can't dismiss EGR+ DI issues as uncommon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Name the modern engines that are NOT DI

No DI period? Off the top of my head, the Chrysler Pentastar family and Hemi family, the Ford 6.2 and 7.3 in the Super Duty line, the older Toyota stuff (1GR and 3UR), and some random Korean engines that are still holding on. But that's only part of the picture...

Quoted:

There are plenty that are dual injected using both direct and port injection. His point was that those engines who utilize both tend to have less issues with carbon than direct injection only engines.

Exactly.

Dual injection systems were a little slow to gain traction, but they've really proliferated the last 4-5 years. Toyota opened that door with Lexus products around 2006 or so, but at this point, most of the Toyota corp portfolio and a whole lot of Ford's products (including the ones they really care about) use dual injection.

Ford 6.2 & Penstar are over a decade old.   My point being though DI is present on a majority of engines,  you can't dismiss EGR+ DI issues as uncommon.

If EGR had been successfully implemented for ~20 years or so before the widespread adoption of DI, is it really an EGR problem?

The other problem with this discussion is, EGR is far from being the only source of intake valve fouling. Oil leaking down the valve seals, oil residue from the PCV, and contamination from valve overlap are all major potential contributors of fouling depending upon the specific engine and how it's used. It's hard to single out any one of these as the primary cause.

Regardless of which combination of these is causing the problems, we know what a really good solution is: port injection.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:54:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Chrysler and “good transmission” are words that NOBODY associates with each other. I was a proud 48RE victim, twice. Maybe they’ve improved recently but historically their transmissions have been junk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More mains per rod too, so theoretically the bottom end can take more boost than a V6, all else being equal.

Not really, 90% of torque is available from 1,800 to 6,350 rpm. It isn't a peaky engine at all, and the 845RFE makes it even better.

Mitsubishi would have been closer.

When you compare the fact that Chrysler has been using some of the best transmissions on the market in their vehicles for the better part of a decade with the fact that Nissan has had a penchant for using disposable transaxles over the same period, your comment reveals itself to be nonsensical.

Chrysler and “good transmission” are words that NOBODY associates with each other. I was a proud 48RE victim, twice. Maybe they’ve improved recently but historically their transmissions have been junk

*raises hand*

But than, it's still 904s and 727s here, so ...
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More mains per rod too, so theoretically the bottom end can take more boost than a V6, all else being equal.

Not really, 90% of torque is available from 1,800 to 6,350 rpm. It isn't a peaky engine at all, and the 845RFE makes it even better.

When you compare the fact that Chrysler has been using some of the best transmissions on the market in their vehicles for the better part of a decade with the fact that Nissan has had a penchant for using disposable transaxles over the same period, your comment reveals itself to be nonsensical.

Yes, Chrysler's history with in-house transmissions is pretty bad. But...

Chrysler doesn't use their own transmissions in most applications anymore. They source the designs from ZF, and the ZF 8HP in particular is probably the very best torque converted auto transmission on the market right now.

Those ZF transmissions are one of the very best things to ever happen to Chrysler.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

There's a lot to take in there.

I don't think I've ever heard the Aussie pronunciation of carburetor before. It's certainly different.

That engine sounds glorious. I suspect the induction noise from six open intakes like that is a big part of the magic there.

That's a LOT of time and money to make less than 300/300.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A large part of that is that the slants were designed to be an open deck aluminum engine using the (crappy) aluminum of the era, and when they went to cast iron closed deck, they didn't shrink the dimensions, they left all the beef there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll be interested . The slant 6s were damn near bombproof

If you can grenade a slant six you did about three or four things you should not have.  It is one of the most reliable engines ever built.  I am not a mopar, plymouth  or dodge fan.  The damn things just run.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Euroweenies simply do not understand the American market. Nobody here is going to buy a muscle car with a 6 in it unless it is for their girlfriend or wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a car guy, but even I know that American muscle cars come in one flavor, and that's V8. Customers aren't asking for this, you have to wonder what kind of visit from the Bad Idea Fairy caused them to make this self-inflicted wound...?

To make V8s they have to pay a tax and buy credits from Tesla, because the fuel economy is poor.

Euroweenies simply do not understand the American market. Nobody here is going to buy a muscle car with a 6 in it unless it is for their girlfriend or wife.

Yep.

The Challenger was "the least good track car" of the big 3, the "oldest", it was "too big" and all that.

Attachment Attached File

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

They have great power where you can actually use it every day, it's comfortable on long drives, yada yada.
I believe the words Leno used, "It's sort of like the supercar you can drive and live with every day".

I'm not into the small displacement turbo engines in muscle cars or big trucks.
Everything else, not that bothered
In a big truck?
Big lazy V8 or a diesel - one not tapco-fucked by the EPA, but that's the world we live in.
Muscle car? Big V8 with a good roar.

A "sporty" car or a porsche or something?
Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

But in 2 genres, for me, for my money?
That's what I want.
IMHO Dodge was the place for that, for the Big V8 hold outs who wanted several V8 options and that traditional look in an econobox powered by yo-yos world.
Start watering that down and it's not quite an alternative anymore.

In the EV game, I'd probably look at Tesla first.
The EV tech isn't there for me yet but, hell if Elon will at least put his fucking neck out there and tweet in support of the truckers who are pushing back against the dictator stuff?
He earned a LOT of points in my book for that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:25:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think I've ever heard the Aussie pronunciation of carburetor before. It's certainly different.

That engine sounds glorious. I suspect the induction noise from six open intakes like that is a big part of the magic there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would be interested to see what could be gotten out of a 170 cid slant six using forced induction. The engine was originally designed to be that size, for the 225 they just slapped in more stroke, which obviously wouldn't have been the greatest geometry.

As far as output, slants were never about peak numbers anyways. They were about ludicrously flat torque curves that were more like flat rulers than curves.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lol @ using 3.0L and 2 turbos to eek out 400HP.  And thats probably at the crank with no accessories.
You can get a used honda motor and 1 turbo and be putting out 475 to the wheels.
View Quote
And 25 foot pounds of torque. Your point?

Nick
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.

The Challenger was "the least good track car" of the big 3, the "oldest", it was "too big" and all that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144599/fp3304jfmou41_jpg-2276290.JPG

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

They have great power where you can actually use it every day, it's comfortable on long drives, yada yada.
I believe the words Leno used, "It's sort of like the supercar you can drive and live with every day".

In a big truck?
Big lazy V8 or a diesel - one not tapco-fucked by the EPA, but that's the world we live in.

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.
IMHO Dodge was the place for that, for the Big V8 hold outs who wanted several V8 options and that traditional look in an econobox powered by yo-yos world.

The EV tech isn't there for me yet but, hell if Elon will at least put his  neck out there and tweet in support of the truckers who are pushing back against the dictator stuff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a car guy, but even I know that American muscle cars come in one flavor, and that's V8. Customers aren't asking for this, you have to wonder what kind of visit from the Bad Idea Fairy caused them to make this self-inflicted wound...?

To make V8s they have to pay a tax and buy credits from Tesla, because the fuel economy is poor.

Yep.

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

In a big truck?

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.

The EV tech isn't there for me yet but, hell if Elon will at least put his  neck out there and tweet in support of the truckers who are pushing back against the dictator stuff?
@Geralt55  yeah ... about tesla ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcu2YUCa0lA You might also wanna see how they treated https://www.youtube.com/c/RichRebuilds/videos  ... they've also been getting money from government cronyist carbon credit trading (it's pretty vile) https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/tesla-electric-vehicle-regulatory-credits-explained.html

I'm happy to see him tweeting that the emperor is naked, but elon is ... well. See above. YMMV and you do you and all that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I bet it will be massively over powered and responsive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:01:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What do you mean "easier"...my engine is a direct drop-in and bolt-up upgrade to the OEM engine.

Mileage?  The vehicle (CJ7) is shaped like a Lego brick...I don't measure "mileage".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would have been easier to do an LS swap.

What kind of mileage do you get?

What do you mean "easier"...my engine is a direct drop-in and bolt-up upgrade to the OEM engine.

Mileage?  The vehicle (CJ7) is shaped like a Lego brick...I don't measure "mileage".

You sure have excellent taste.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Straight six is best six.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Chrysler doesn't use their own transmissions in most applications anymore. They source the designs from ZF, and the ZF 8HP in particular is probably the very best torque converted auto transmission on the market right now.

Those ZF transmissions are one of the very best things to ever happen to Chrysler.
View Quote

It was really just a 20 year period or so. Going back to the torqueflites they did have a good reputation.

They also use the Aisin-Warner ASC69RC behind the Cummins on the 3500-5500 Rams, and behind the 6.4 Hemi on the 4500-5500s
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It was really just a 20 year period or so. Going back to the torqueflites they did have a good reputation.

They also use the Aisin-Warner ASC69RC behind the Cummins on the 3500-5500 Rams, and behind the 6.4 Hemi on the 4500-5500s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never had a problem with any of the RE transmissions I owned, but the trick to owning them is to not be an idiot, and also keep other idiots away from them.

I've seen too many owners and repair shops damage them by putting the wrong kind of fluids in them. Many people also ignored the periodic band adjustments some of them required. It's no coincidence that the manufacturers later moved to "sealed" transmission designs to keep stupid people from dumping any kind of fluid into them.

As far as the switch to ZF transmissions goes, anyone who thinks it's still like it was 20 years ago is living under a rock.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I never had a problem with any of the RE transmissions I owned, but the trick to owning them is to not be an idiot, and also keep other idiots away from them.

I've seen too many owners and repair shops damage them by putting the wrong kind of fluids in them. Many people also ignored the periodic band adjustments some of them required. It's no coincidence that the manufacturers later moved to "sealed" transmission designs to keep stupid people from dumping any kind of fluid into them.

As far as the switch to ZF transmissions goes, anyone who thinks it's still like it was 20 years ago is living under a rock.
View Quote

Yeah I mentioned that in a previous post but didn't really want to unpack it; the reality is that they aren't any worse than any other transmission of the era. If you used the correct fluid (ATF+4 was new when the RE's came out, and a lot of people wanted to use other transmission fluids ), didn't tow in overdrive (which the manual even said not to do) , and did the band adjustments then they were pretty problem free. They're basically a Loadflite with a tailshaft that has an overdrive in it bolted on-and if someone were to tell me the 727s aren't a great transmission I'd have trouble believing anything they had to say.

Even then though, I have an 8HP75 backed Hemi sitting in my garage that was built 9 years ago. Ford diesels get less hate here, and they were still making the shitty 6.4 PowerChoke for years after the RE's ended production.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

In a big truck?

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.

The EV tech isn't there for me yet but, hell if Elon will at least put his fucking neck out there and tweet in support of the truckers who are pushing back against the dictator stuff?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

In a big truck?

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.

Well said. I mean, sure, there will be some who will buy cars with the straight 6. I have lived with 2 different Chevy straight sixes and they were fine for what they were, but neither was very powerful. So, I don't dislike straight sixes at all, but the "American V8" (even if made in Mex or Can) has a certain draw that cannot be satisfied with fewer cylinders.

The last V8 I had was a 6.2L in a 2016 Camaro SS that I sold because I was offered what I thought was an absurdly high price. I ended up grinning every time I drove it. Would buy again if used car prices ever regain sanity.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Fond memories of those slant 6's. They were great for Mother Earth style road food. A round of thin Italian sausage, an onion, a pepper and a loaf of Cuban bread from Cacciatore & Sons Italian market was all you needed. Wrap the hell out of the sausage and sliced onion and pepper in aluminum foil in the parking lot and place it on the intake runner/exhaust manifold "Shelf" right next to the head and take off. A hour and a half later at the beach it was time to chow down. My buddies '63 Valiant also had a glass windshield wiper jar. He cleaned it out and redirected the line to the glove box with aquarium tubing. Filled with hooch pilfered from our folks we could sweeten our cokes at the drive in with the press of a button. Good times!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll never do this again

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@Geralt55  yeah ... about tesla ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcu2YUCa0lA You might also wanna see how they treated https://www.youtube.com/c/RichRebuilds/videos  ... they've also been getting money from government cronyist carbon credit trading (it's pretty vile) https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/18/tesla-electric-vehicle-regulatory-credits-explained.html

I'm happy to see him tweeting that the emperor is naked, but elon is ... well. See above. YMMV and you do you and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

In a big truck?

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.

To be fair the V8 is, to me, one of life's great joys, I'm not in a hurry to get an EPA-CAFE-ban compliant vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hoping for a modern 2jz or Rb26 equivalent
View Quote

I think your forgot a US Barra equivalent.

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't care at all how many cylinders, the angle, color, etc.  Go fast don't break? yes or no?
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Chrysler and "good transmission" are words that NOBODY associates with each other. I was a proud 48RE victim, twice. Maybe they've improved recently but historically their transmissions have been junk
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chrysler and "good transmission" are words that NOBODY associates with each other. I was a proud 48RE victim, twice. Maybe they've improved recently but historically their transmissions have been junk

The ZF 8 speed is one of the best transmissions I've ever had in a vehicle and I'm not a Mopar fanboi by any stretch.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Interesting observation from looking at the diagram.

While it may be called a "twin turbo" it's more accurately a bi-turbo configuration with each turbo servicing 3 of the cylinders. I'd love to see it check in at 3.2 liters, which would essentially give it 1.6 liters of displacement for each turbo.

It will probably have port injection and direct injection.

Compared to the 5.7 hemi, it will be lighter and have more torque between 2-4k RPM.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#44]

I know that engine bay! Datsun 240-260-280 for the win!
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well said. I mean, sure, there will be some who will buy cars with the straight 6. I have lived with 2 different Chevy straight sixes and they were fine for what they were, but neither was very powerful. So, I don't dislike straight sixes at all, but the "American V8" (even if made in Mex or Can) has a certain draw that cannot be satisfied with fewer cylinders.

The last V8 I had was a 6.2L in a 2016 Camaro SS that I sold because I was offered what I thought was an absurdly high price. I ended up grinning every time I drove it. Would buy again if used car prices ever regain sanity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

And Jay Leno loved his.
And they sell well.

In a big truck?

Doesn't have to be a V8.
Midsize truck? same.

That's what I want.

To me it's one of life's great pleasures is to fire up a Big V8 with an aftermarket exhaust on it.
Walking into a crowded parking lot, forgetting where you put your ride - you reach into your pocket, hit the button, and a thunderstorm starts in the lot.

Some of my life's favorite memories, have a V8 in the soundtrack of that life moment
Man, I close my eyes and I can remember it like yesterday.

It's summer, 2018, 2 years before the world lost its mind.
The sun's setting, I'm coming home from work.
I'm heading to my ex-girlfriend's house, she's woken up for her night shift, she's making dinner.
Chicken parm, tastes exactly like my Mom makes.
When we're done with dinner, I'll drive her to work - it's a short drive, I'm only seeing her for 2 hours but, man, life's to be enjoyed, happiness is something to be found and enjoyed.

I'm rolling through hills and carving the corners, windows down, no music playing, just listening to the V8 symphony the whole way.
Borla was my metal band of choice.
Man what a feeling, rolling into the go pedal, listening to the band play, wind on your face.

It's hard to give that feeling up
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But it is still a Chrysler.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Straight six is best six.
View Quote

Funny thing. All three of my current vehicles are 6 cylinders. Inline turbodiesel, twin turbo V6 and NA Flat-6

The flat 6 is amazing. And 9K rpms is unreal. The inline is a torque monster and smooth as silk. The TTV6 is powerful, but definitely not as smooth. I’d have a hard time picking a winner between the inline and flat motors but they obviously have much different focuses.

I owned a few of the 4.0L Jeep engines previously and I was very impressed with them. They never felt underpowered to me. Tough as nails. Great engines IMHO
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

EGR absolutely DOES causes problems, in the form of heavy deposits on intake valves, in modern engines.

If by "thousands"  you mean $500 for a tuner and a couple of block off plates, then yes.
View Quote
Really? What  gas engine has this malady? I work on modern and not so modern engines every day, egr causes very few issues, MB 112/113 is the only one I can recall having a common EGr problem, the pipe would coke at the tip where it was exposed to PCV gases in the intake. Simple job to clean the pipe and back it goes, every 150k miles you gotta do this big job. EGR makes life easier on catalysts, so the engine can be tweaked with more timing and compression for better efficiency.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Name the modern engines that are NOT DI
View Quote

Technically, Gen II EcoBoosts use a hybrid port/DI system.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Interesting observation from looking at the diagram.

While it may be called a "twin turbo" it's more accurately a bi-turbo configuration with each turbo servicing 3 of the cylinders.
View Quote

Incorrect. Compressors discharge to a common plenum.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top