Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Coral Snakes are not aggressive, it’s not going to be “coming right at you”!

I would let it live, maybe relocate or call someone who does that.

but I get it that you wouldn’t want that near your house or someplace near kids, pets or where you are working.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Pass.  But then I give everything a pass.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Paul McCartney
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only ever seen a few in my life. The two I found in my yard I relocated
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that shows up from time to time in my front yard. Doesn't bother me or my pets... he lives on. Water Moc however gets the lead injection.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
That's definitely a coral snake.  Let it live.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
This guy was inside my screened in patio last week. Luckily I was cleaning the pool and found him before the dog or kids did. He got the machete treatment. I know its supposed to be hard for them to kill people or whatever, but a neighbor had a dog killed by one a few years ago, and we've caught my dog playing with one before.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any snake that can kill my kids gets smoked. House rules
View Quote

I gotta go with this.  Add in a threat to dogs, cats, and livestock as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You have to really put in some work to get a coral snake to envenomate you.  I'd let it live.
View Quote
They're pretty chill overall.

But I let even ornery venomous snakes do their thing, so...

(I say ornery because aggressive isn't a thing snakes do)
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
It never ceases to amaze me what squealing little girls some allegedly grown "men" are when it comes to snakes, even the harmless ones.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you'd kill a coral snake you are a pussy.

1 recorded death in 4 decades with very few bites period to go with it. They aren't a significant threat to people or even animals.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Coral snakes are not rear fanged. They have small fangs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep..that’s a Coral Snake.

In your yard or neighborhood with kids/pets and you are incapable of moving it. I understand the ‘it’s got to go" mentality.

Rural homesite, no near neighbors, not to girly to move. Let live.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let live, they are rear fanged. You would have to work to try to get venomated. It is close to impossible to get hurt by a coral.
View Quote

THEY ARE NOT REAR FANGED. they are elapids, related to cobras. they have small, fixed fangs in the front of their mouth. (hognose snakes are rear fanged, with a set of deeply grooved fangs in the upper rear of their jaws, that can deliver venom through chewing) they are relatively docile, shy and aren't seen unless it's mating season, where males go looking for females. there's no need to kill them if you see them. let them go, or catch and release. teach your kids not to mess with them, instead of showing them what a pussy you are by killing them. (not you voodoo)

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You have to really put in some work to get a coral snake to envenomate you.  I'd let it live.
View Quote

But we are out of antivenom*.  So unless you want to live in an iron lung for a few days-months.......

*last I checked we had three doses in the country and fda approved foreign doses.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But we are out of antivenom*.  So unless you want to live in an iron lung for a few days-months.......

*last I checked we had three doses in the country and fda approved foreign doses.
View Quote

Coral snakes give you Polio?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Pardon. They have very far back rear facing fangs to utilize them on fish. They have no interest in biting you, even for self defense.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Coral snakes give you Polio?
View Quote

no, but some people get acute vaginitis from seeing them.

eta: pic shows quite clearly the forward, fixed fangs of an eastern coral snake.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

THEY ARE NOT REAR FANGED. they are elapids, related to cobras. they have small, fixed fangs in the front of their mouth. (hognose snakes are rear fanged, with a set of deeply grooved fangs in the upper rear of their jaws, that can deliver venom through chewing) they are relatively docile, shy and aren't seen unless it's mating season, where males go looking for females. there's no need to kill them if you see them. let them go, or catch and release. teach your kids not to mess with them, instead of showing them what a pussy you are by killing them. (not you voodoo)

https://i.ibb.co/DMS1W4v/fluffy-noodle.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ctGMTF5/grab-but-dont-tread-on-me.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let live, they are rear fanged. You would have to work to try to get venomated. It is close to impossible to get hurt by a coral.

https://i.ibb.co/DMS1W4v/fluffy-noodle.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/ctGMTF5/grab-but-dont-tread-on-me.jpg

I would have sworn that I was taught they were rear fanged. And a quick google said that it is a very common misconception. huh. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with any snakes.

They leave me alone and I leave them alone.

They're eating things outside that I don't want inside.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I always thought it was Red on Black, two steps back...Red on Yellow, friendly fellow.

With my limited knowledge of Coral snake ID it's a good thing we don't have them here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red touches Black, friend of Jack.

Red touches Yaller, kill a Feller.

I always thought it was Red on Black, two steps back...Red on Yellow, friendly fellow.

With my limited knowledge of Coral snake ID it's a good thing we don't have them here.

Forget the Rhymes.. Coral snakes have a black nose. I might see 1 every 3 to 5 years... I have never killed one myself, I carefully catch them and relocated them in the woods away from any house.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
@BLKVooDoo look at my post above, i added a pic.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@BLKVooDoo look at my post above, i added a pic.
View Quote

Very cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They're a put the least aggressive snake I've ever encountered.  If you get bit by a coral snake, it's your own goddamn fault.  

Pardon
View Quote

But one of the most deadly bc of its affects.  And I’d read there is no anti-venom.  But who knows.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]
When I had property and with grand kids visiting I felt I had to kill them to be safe but I did not like it.

As stated they are shy and docile even nice with a sweet disposition.

One that saw me stuck his head in a hole and seemed to feel safe like if he couldn't see me I couldn't see him

When the grand kids were old enough to understand stupid and such the coral snakes got a pass.
They kill what I like a lot less than them
Cotton mouth and rattlers, different story, 20 gauge #7 at 6"
You can hold the shot gun near them and they will square off with the end of the barrel so you can't miss. Kinda funny

Just make sure the rattler is not a rat snake (rats are Boas).
A gray rat is rare and very valuable and worth picking up for a trip to the local pet store
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#28]
In my yard coral snakes get dispatched. Because of dogs and kids.

Rattle snakes get killed indiscriminately.

Our cats have a higher kill count than me though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd kill that in a second as well as the harmless one that looks similar.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Forget the Rhymes.. Coral snakes have a black nose. I might see 1 every 3 to 5 years... I have never killed one myself, I carefully catch them and relocated them in the woods away from any house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red touches Black, friend of Jack.

Red touches Yaller, kill a Feller.

Black nose = poison Toes!

Hope you let it live OP.

Btw, where in Fl. are you guys seeing all these Corals?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In my yard?  Torch that fucker for my dog’s life.

In the woods?  Let it be.
View Quote

That’s my rule with rattlers and copperheads.

I killed two copperheads in 15 minutes the last time I burned my brush pile
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#33]
If it rattles or has a rattle it is DOA in my yard. For some reason, I just never see rattlesnakes but my wife has a great eye for them. We a place on the San Gabriel River in Texas and it is full of diamondbacks.

We also have corals. They are so bright, Ray Charles can see them. They are rather timid and prefer to be left alone. I have tried to get them to be defensive, but they just  don't act that way. I just leave them alone. It is almost impossible for one to bite you.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Coral snakes have to literally chew on you to inject their venom fully.
View Quote

Fangs are in the rear of the mouth, right ?
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Unless actively attacking a human or pet, full pardon.

As already stated, corals aren't looking for a fight.  They tend to be scaredy cats actually.

Live and let live.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Coral snakes are not rear fanged. They have small fangs.
View Quote

Yeah I think they are like Kraits in that they have small hollow fangs and chew their venom into their prey.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Btw, where in Fl. are you guys seeing all these Corals?
View Quote

mostly on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Pardon.

Jeez.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dead
View Quote

Snakist!
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this.
Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#41]
This was  Hernando County.

! Snake was 5 feet from my dog and was moving his way. If my dog had seen it, he would've moved away.

Venomous snake off property lives, on property it dies

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In my yard?  Torch that fucker for my dog’s life.

In the woods?  Let it be.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Let them be. They are very mellow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Throw him into the sea like St. Patrick.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Pass.  Good snakes.  

Shit I don't even kill a rattlesnake unless I have to.

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Live and let live. They look like living jewels, and they can't hurt you unless you let them chew on the webbing between your fingers.

Last but not least, I don't want nature to be sterile and totally safe and uninteresting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#48]
All snakes are icky and should die.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Around the house?  Dispatch it, or remove it to a remote location.  On a trail?  Leave it be.

I can't count the number of rattlesnakes I have let live, and the number of rodents they have killed must number in the thousands.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"Red touch yellow"
Kill that mother fucker.
View Quote

Overall this is my answer when it comes to venomous snakes in my home area.    Out in the wilderness not on my home property I'd take pictures and otherwise leave it alone.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top