Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the looks and feel ( the leather ) of cowboy boots, but my feet hated them, never got comfortable wearing them all day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Round toed yes.  More of a work boot prolly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, my favorite footwear. I'm a recent convert of about 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Fan
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Great pic
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are buying cowboy boots off the shelf then you are doing it wrong. You can get lucky and find a good fit if you have a common foot shape and size.   A well made pair of boots will last a very long time and are made to be re-soled. Most of the boots being sold in chain western stores are not made to re-sole and many are made to low standards.  If your feet hurt when wearing your boots then you most likely have the wrong size or heel that is meant for you.  A walking heel is different than a riding heel and so on.  There are some great custom shops that make boots in and around Fort Worth.  You will pay more up front but you won't be looking for new boots for a very long time.

Ariat bought Justin and most of their boots aren't made in the U.S.  You can find really good lace up boots still made by Justin in the US but they run over $200.00. They are made to last and worth the extra cost.
View Quote
I agree.

I didn't know Ariat bought Justin, but I don't keep up, and it doesn't surprise me.  Our culture is based around price and many people have no qualms about buying Chinese boots.  And then say they're not comfortable.

I bought a pair of Justin's earlier this year.  First time in a long time I've work boots.  Last pair was Mercedes many, many, years ago.

The Justin's I bought are US made and are really basic looking.  Boot tech has changed so much.  Mine has a leather and rubber hybrid sole.  They look like a standard boot but the inside has almost a tennis shoe insole.  I didn't like them at first.  Turns out they fit perfectly and are more comfortable than my sneakers once I started wearing long thin dress socks instead of boot socks.  Think they were $275 or so.  And not fancy or anything.  Just well made, fitted properly, and nice looking.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, I wear lace up boots on the rare occasion I wear boots. I work on a ranch and wear sneakers 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 pair
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I got some recently and they take a bit of getting used to. I'm already very tall and these things make me feel even taller. Feels like I'm in heels or something, ha, it's weird to me. I'm so used to just wearing tennis shoes or military boots which are more flat footed. Also the Texas heat and humidity makes my feet and calf sweat with these leather cowboy boots. I do like that I don't have to worry about snakes as much. I bet the leather will protect my feet and calf well enough. I like the easy on and off of them. I think chicks dig them, a little more stylish compared to my military boots or tennis shoes, ha 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are buying cowboy boots off the shelf then you are doing it wrong. You can get lucky and find a good fit if you have a common foot shape and size.   A well made pair of boots will last a very long time and are made to be re-soled. Most of the boots being sold in chain western stores are not made to re-sole and many are made to low standards.  If your feet hurt when wearing your boots then you most likely have the wrong size or heel that is meant for you.  A walking heel is different than a riding heel and so on.  There are some great custom shops that make boots in and around Fort Worth.  You will pay more up front but you won't be looking for new boots for a very long time.

Ariat bought Justin and most of their boots aren't made in the U.S.  You can find really good lace up boots still made by Justin in the US but they run over $200.00. They are made to last and worth the extra cost.
View Quote
^This man knows his stuff. Look at the sole on your chinaman made boots. Now look at the double lemonwood pegged sole on a pair of Lucchese boots. Any questions?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I will never wear cowboy boots.

That being said, I have never seen any other style of footwear that can be as tastefully embellished and basically made into a work of art and craftsmanship as a cowboy boot can.

On second thought, I would wear cowboy boots if I could design my own.

I am sure that it would cost a shit ton of money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless you ride a horse/bull or do almost nothing all the time, they're about the shittiest boots you can buy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Big fan, regular wear. Nocona, Boulet, ect ...

Liberals hate cowboy boots.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't worn a pair since I was a kid.

I need to bite the bullet and get some, but I don't know what brands are good. Preferable american made if anyone has suggestions.

2 reasons why they are superior to shoes IMO. Outside doing man stuff anyway.

1. Every time I hoe or till the garden, I get dirt in my shoes. This wouldn't happen with cowboy boots.

2. When I am in the woods, especially if I am running a saw, my shoe strings get caught on stickers and branches. Again, this wouldn't happen with cowboy boots.

I also wonder how good they are at protecting from snake bites. Do you need boots designed for that, of is the leather enough?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pleased to be able to say that from the time I was old enough to participate in the selection of my shoes and clothing, I've never - not one day - worn cowboy boots.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
No.

I think they look cool but I don't think that's a look I can pull them off now. I had some when I was in second grade.

I don't ride a horse. I live in the city. I wear shorts in the summer time and I don't think they are very practical in in the winter time.

I could get some just for dress but I would feel like a poser.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I need to bite the bullet and get some, but I don't know what brands are good. Preferable american made if anyone has suggestions.

1. Every time I hoe or till the garden, I get dirt in my shoes. This wouldn't happen with cowboy boots.

2. When I am in the woods, especially if I am running a saw, my shoe strings get caught on stickers and branches. Again, this wouldn't happen with cowboy boots.

I also wonder how good they are at protecting from snake bites. Do you need boots designed for that, of is the leather enough?
View Quote
They make boots to protect from snakes, but they look different than regular boots.

As for me, well I am from Texas.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Terrible
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cowboy boots will deflect bites from even very large rattlesnakes.  "Snake proof" boots are just a gimmick.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:02:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cowboy boots will deflect bites from even very large rattlesnakes.  "Snake proof" boots are just a gimmick.
View Quote
Hmm, good to know.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm pleased to be able to say that from the time I was old enough to participate in the selection of my shoes and clothing, I've never - not one day - worn cowboy boots.
View Quote
Hot blonde in a red dress wearing boots might as well be my cryptonite. Just sayin'. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I agree.

I didn't know Ariat bought Justin, but I don't keep up, and it doesn't surprise me.  Our culture is based around price and many people have no qualms about buying Chinese boots.  And then say they're not comfortable.

I bought a pair of Justin's earlier this year.  First time in a long time I've work boots.  Last pair was Mercedes many, many, years ago.

The Justin's I bought are US made and are really basic looking.  Boot tech has changed so much.  Mine has a leather and rubber hybrid sole.  They look like a standard boot but the inside has almost a tennis shoe insole.  I didn't like them at first.  Turns out they fit perfectly and are more comfortable than my sneakers once I started wearing long thin dress socks instead of boot socks.  Think they were $275 or so.  And not fancy or anything.  Just well made, fitted properly, and nice looking.
View Quote
I don't think Ariat bought out Justin boots.  I do know some of the cheaper Justin's are made in China.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#25]
That's all I wear other than when I'm at the gym
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, I think you may have misunderstood me.

I'm not saying you have to have custom made boots.

I'm saying many people that buy them simply grab a size off the shelf and they may not fit properly.  A lot of first timers don't have knowledge to know how they are supposed to fit.

It's quite possible that those you bought just so happen to fit you perfectly.
View Quote
I bought my first pair about 5 years ago and they don't fit right. I am a fan, I just need to try more on. Will be out shopping for a new pair in the next year that fit.

I am happy with how they have held up and how the look. Mine are made by Dan Post.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wasn't. Then I went to Texas in January and bought a pair of Ariats. Now I am.

http://i.imgur.com/j7ddBmB.jpg?1
View Quote
Good Boots, Good cigar. 10/10.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I am a fan of custom made boot, my oldest pair is 22 years old.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Big fan

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Never warmed up to cowboy boots, but I do love my French Mle. 52 buckle and Portuguese Paratrooper boots. I have some Bundeswehr boots on the way, too. Hiking boots are daily wear when the weather gets cooler.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck no....no fuckin way in hell.
Sneakers on my feet 24 7.
Air max nikes
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]

I bought a pair of these last year, but they had the garish orange shaft, so I dyed them dark brown with Rit dye. I walked all over San Francisco, Santa Cruz, and got them wet in the Pacific ocean last summer, when I visited my little brother. All they've needed is occasional saddle-soaping and a wipe-down with some leather conditioner, as well as new insoles. They're scuffed and scratched, but that gives them character. I can't wear them for work anymore because the account requires lace-up ankle boots, and they look goofy when wearing shorts.

I'd really like to have a good pair of rough-out cowboy boots, though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#33]
This ole' Texan loves them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
So glad.

Nothing better than to accompany a gorgeous lady in my black Luchesses, while she leans drunkenly on my arm in her Stillettos.

[
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Never enjoyed boots outside of a job.  Always thought you were dorky otherwise.

Cowboy boots?  For the ranch.
Hiking boots?  For the mountain.
Military boots?  Wear them in uniform.
Work boots?  Wear them on your job site.

I never understood why anyone would wear them outside of the situation it calls for because of this crazy invention called the sneaker that makes life so much moar better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Only on the big titted naked woman with the cowboy hat that wants a ride.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Justin work boots for everyday use.   Dan post for formal occasions and some Double H for winter or wet weather.
That being said i wear "cowboy" boots every day.  I am a fan and have never worn more comfortable footwear.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:23:02 PM EDT
[#38]
For those that dont know if you buy an off the shelf pair that is not comfortable, just get them good and wet and wear till dry and they will fit perfectly from then on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Like....Ropers.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Fan.
Love my Olathes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Work in them all day long and wear them about half the time I'm off.

Honestly I find them more comfortable than my tennis shoes

Cody James for work because they get abused
Anderson Bean for our and about.

Square toe nation, just say no to roach killers!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wasn't. Then I went to Texas in January and bought a pair of Ariats. Now I am.

http://i.imgur.com/j7ddBmB.jpg?1
View Quote
The style and color you have is very similar to the pair I got.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Definitely a fan.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Fan. Wear them 70% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I got some recently and they take a bit of getting used to. I'm already very tall and these things make me feel even taller. Feels like I'm in heels or something, ha, it's weird to me. I'm so used to just wearing tennis shoes or military boots which are more flat footed. Also the Texas heat and humidity makes my feet and calf sweat with these leather cowboy boots. I do like that I don't have to worry about snakes as much. I bet the leather will protect my feet and calf well enough. I like the easy on and off of them. I think chicks dig them, a little more stylish compared to my military boots or tennis shoes, ha 
View Quote
Ditch the "western" heel and get some with a roper heel
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#46]
I like mine. I wear them pretty much every day. They are generally very comfortable. I don't like the lack of ankle support. A plus side is if you commute using a bicycle, the heel catches the pedal really well and doesn't slip. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a dress boot and an everyday boot
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Unless you ride a horse/bull or do almost nothing all the time, they're about the shittiest boots you can buy.
View Quote
Based on what exactly?
I may ride horses in the morning, go fix fence for a few hours, jump on a tractor, climb all over  and under all manner of equipment- all in the course of a day. Quite possibly the furthest one could possibly be from "doing nothing"

Better than clunky "work" boots
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Every day.  Every day.  BUT...I'm a rancher...

I blow through a pair/year.  Doesn't seem to matter brand or price point, I'll find the weak point.  Between all the rocks, sticks, water, hydraulic oil, grease, firefighting, and other (generally actual) shit they see I can't seem to find a pair that will hold up for much more than a year.  Year and a half if I'm lucky...

Having said that, there isn't another type of footwear that'll work to be ready for whatever I have to do on any given day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Never enjoyed boots outside of a job.  Always thought you were dorky otherwise.

Cowboy boots?  For the ranch.
Hiking boots?  For the mountain.
Military boots?  Wear them in uniform.
Work boots?  Wear them on your job site.

I never understood why anyone would wear them outside of the situation it calls for because of this crazy invention called the sneaker that makes life so much moar better.
View Quote
so you wear athletic shoes when not doing athletics?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top