Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 180
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
In the original EU before Disney. Thrawn used clones to build his forces. The Doctor was a scientist in the field of cloning. The program he was in was the Star Wars version Operation Paperclip. The Empire didn't want him spilling the beans on what he knew. So he was framed to be sent to the brain scrambling machine and she turned it up to 11 to turn him into a breathing doorstop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
Can someone help me out here.

What was the purpose of spending half of this episode on the set up of the scientist that worked for Gideon? It was predictable as shit from the onset of how they re-introduced both characters (scientist and the chick that set him up).

Initially I thought this was going to turn into some long game side plot. But instead, lets play nice with him, take him on scenic dates around town and then lure him to a VSD to get some antiquated research materials only to have him arrested and then sent to get his mind fucked with. And then after all of that, turn the power up to 11.

What was the point of any of that as far as the story or anything at all? I feel like I am completely missing something for them to spend 50% of an episode on what came across to me as something inconsequential for two characters no one really gives a shit about.
In the original EU before Disney. Thrawn used clones to build his forces. The Doctor was a scientist in the field of cloning. The program he was in was the Star Wars version Operation Paperclip. The Empire didn't want him spilling the beans on what he knew. So he was framed to be sent to the brain scrambling machine and she turned it up to 11 to turn him into a breathing doorstop.

That's what I got he knew too much so goodbye brain
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Freakinout:

View All Quotes

What was the purpose of spending half of this episode on the set up of the scientist that worked for Gideon? It was predictable as shit from the onset of how they re-introduced both characters (scientist and the chick that set him up).

Initially I thought this was going to turn into some long game side plot. But instead, lets play nice with him, take him on scenic dates around town and then lure him to a VSD to get some antiquated research materials only to have him arrested and then sent to get his mind fucked with. And then after all of that, turn the power up to 11.

What was the point of any of that as far as the story or anything at all? I feel like I am completely missing something for them to spend 50% of an episode on what came across to me as something inconsequential for two characters no one really gives a shit about.

Pretty much... it is as if a Nazi deep cover agent had Wernher von Braun silenced by beating him over the head with a lead pipe and making him drool for the rest of his days in 1946 so he couldn't spill the beans on the V2 program.

It also showed that the New Republic was just as fucked up as the Empire.

Re-education camps, torture sessions, etc...
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much... it is as if a Nazi deep cover agent had Wernher von Braun silenced by beating him over the head with a lead pipe and making him drool for the rest of his days in 1946 so he couldn't spill the beans on the V2 program.

View All Quotes

It was more fucked up than the pre empire republic which was fucked and corrupt as hell, hence why you see so many folks mention they don't pay attention to politics
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Spoilers and laughter warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVOVbT-0-c
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]

It was more fucked up than the pre empire republic which was fucked and corrupt as hell, hence why you see so many folks mention they don't pay attention to politics
View All Quotes

Again, the only good guys were the CIS and that was before the Separatist Council took over and ran the show.

The Republic was broken and finally, Andor and Bad Batch are showing the "WHY THE EMPIRE IS BAD" instead of just saying that the Empire is bad. And take this from me, I pretty much sided with the Empire in the original EU. The New Republic was a military dictatorship too and had their own Rebellion to deal with. And I like that they're showing the New Republic in this to be a cluster fuck too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
The Siege of Mandalore... 3 Years Later
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Again, the only good guys were the CIS and that was before the Separatist Council took over and ran the show.

The Republic was broken and finally, Andor and Bad Batch are showing the "WHY THE EMPIRE IS BAD" instead of just saying that the Empire is bad. And take this from me, I pretty much sided with the Empire in the original EU. The New Republic was a military dictatorship too and had their own Rebellion to deal with. And I like that they're showing the New Republic in this to be a cluster fuck too.
View All Quotes

Trying to rule the entire known universe under one government is a long standing storyline in the SW universe.  Imagine if they got control over the outer rim and started going into the unknown regions to set the rules ...
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Imagine if they got control over the outer rim and started going into the unknown regions to set the rules ...
View Quote
I believe that's called fuck around and find out.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By November5:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By November5:

Imagine if they got control over the outer rim and started going into the unknown regions to set the rules ...

That's when they run into Thanos
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Ok, E3 was mostly filler.  Perhaps it will go somewhere, but it was largely wasted time watching it.

Part of me thinks that ambition/desire to rule/leadership is the force behind the Dark Saber. Mando does not desire leadership, and it is heavy on him.  Din was raised for it and finds it a light burden and a source of power.
View Quote
When Sabine Wren was training with it, she had trouble because she had unresolved family issues and until she worked those out and became focused, it was a tank for her to wield.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
When Sabine Wren was training with it, she had trouble because she had unresolved family issues and until she worked those out and became focused, it was a tank for her to wield.

Nick
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
Ok, E3 was mostly filler.  Perhaps it will go somewhere, but it was largely wasted time watching it.

Part of me thinks that ambition/desire to rule/leadership is the force behind the Dark Saber. Mando does not desire leadership, and it is heavy on him.  Din was raised for it and finds it a light burden and a source of power.

Nick

Thinking Mando will suddenly become much more proficient back with the fam and Bo at his side to recapture Mandalore?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Haven’t the Outer Rim planets been known for some time? Maybe thousands of years? Why is the Outer Rim still the outer rim? With light speed travel that lets them whip around the Galaxy, shouldn’t they have been constantly expanding outwards beyond the Galaxy’s limits? Deep thoughts
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:17:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#13]
Originally Posted By sh768:
Haven’t the Outer Rim planets been known for some time? Maybe thousands of years? Why is the Outer Rim still the outer rim? With light speed travel that lets them whip around the Galaxy, shouldn’t they have been constantly expanding outwards beyond the Galaxy’s limits? Deep thoughts
View Quote

The Republic didn't force planets to join. The Empire did.

Under the Empire, if a planet had a strategic value or valuable resources, they'd make the effort to take it.  How they achieved that varied.

In some cases, they could do like China and simply buy off the existing government to allow them to do whatever they want.

In others, if locals posed little resistance, they'd subjugate them and install their own leadership. Locals would frequently end up as conscripts in the military or slaves (what happened to Lothal until the end of Rebels).

In extreme cases where a planet held a truly unruly and troublesome population, they'd simply slaughter them. While the impetus for doing so was different, we know they were responsible for the genocides of Geonosis and Mandalore.

This is what's great about the EU. As Miami said, we truly see WHY the Empire are the bad guys.  To make a WW2 comparison, the movies are like a recruiting poster telling you the nazis are evil. The EU is seeing the camps and understanding the true depth of evil.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

Under the Empire, if a planet had a strategic value or valuable resources, they'd make the effort to take it.  How they achieved that varied.

In some cases, they could do like China and simply buy off the existing government to allow them to do whatever they want.

In others, if locals posed little resistance, they'd subjugate them and install their own leadership. Locals would frequently end up as conscripts in the military or slaves (what happened to Lothal until the end of Rebels).

In extreme cases where a planet held a truly unruly and troublesome population, they'd simply slaughter them. While the impetus for doing so was different, we know they were responsible for the genocides of Geonosis and Mandalore.

This is what's great about the EU. As Miami said, we truly see WHY the Empire are the bad guys.  To make a WW2 comparison, the movies are like a recruiting poster telling you the nazis are evil. The EU is seeing the camps and understanding the true depth of evil.
View Quote

Star Wars universe is almost 40k-tier in terms of violence and chaos. Funny how it's considered by many to still be a children's story when it's one of the worst fictional scifi settings to live in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't the Outer Rim planets been known for some time? Maybe thousands of years? Why is the Outer Rim still the outer rim? With light speed travel that lets them whip around the Galaxy, shouldn't they have been constantly expanding outwards beyond the Galaxy's limits? Deep thoughts
View Quote
Hyperspace has specific corridors like interstates with exits and side streets. It isn't like Star Trek FTL. Additionally, there is the "The Great Hyperspace Barrier" created by the ancient beings that created things like Centerpoint Station, the Maw, etc.... they were briefly discussed during the Clone Wars.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunter-Killer] [#16]
Spoilers and laughter warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVOVbT-0-c
View Quote

Some random guy on YouTube can do that for a 15 minute video and yet with a massive budget, months of time, and the knowledge that it would be one of the biggest moments in the series; the CGI for Luke’s face in the S2 finale that we see for a few seconds looked like some project that was slapped together by a teenager an hour before it was due.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Blowing up Alderaan should and building the weapon used specifically to intimidate the galaxy with your ability to blow up more planets should have been enough for most people. Those who explain that away by saying Alderaan was a "military target" probably do need a serial format to get that point hitting home.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Re-watched the last episode. In the ending scene, it doesn't look like the big Mando dude (grandson of the Grand Pubah?) was happy with Bo Ka-tan being accepted into the tribe.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Re-watched the last episode. In the ending scene, it doesn't look like the big Mando dude (grandson of the Grand Pubah?) was happy with Bo Ka-tan being accepted into the tribe.

View Quote

Well, Paz Vizsla’s ancestor Tarre Vizsla was the Mandalorian/Jedi who built the Darksaber.

I’d be willing to bet that after he lost the duel to Din in BoBF, he still harbors some strong feelings about who should be the owner of the Darksaber.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

He’s the meathead who challenged Din for the Darksaber in an episode of BoBF. Apparently he comes from a famous family and thinks he should be in charge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Does he ever look happy?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Blowing up Alderaan should and building the weapon used specifically to intimidate the galaxy with your ability to blow up more planets should have been enough for most people. Those who explain that away by saying Alderaan was a "military target" probably do need a serial format to get that point hitting home.
View All Quotes

Doesn't seem like most folks would know any different than they were told, senators didn't even spend much time on their home planets
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:

Does he ever look happy?
View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

Pre vizla was the same way but with facial expressions
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Does he ever look happy?
View Quote

hard to tell he never removes his helmet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

This is the way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Hyperspace has specific corridors like interstates with exits and side streets. It isn't like Star Trek FTL. Additionally, there is the "The Great Hyperspace Barrier" created by the ancient beings that created things like Centerpoint Station, the Maw, etc.... they were briefly discussed during the Clone Wars.

View Quote

Not exactly.

Hyperspace lanes are well-established routes that are deemed 'safe' and 'wide' enough that blasting through them is 'routine'.

There is no reason you couldn't pop off into hyperspace in any random direction for any random time other than your own risk.  It's not like you couldn't override the naviputer and just say "GO! NOW!"  even though that might be suicide.

Traditionally, even on this planet, people don't do that on a regular basis.

In the game universe I played in we took a lot of this to logical conclusions.  I had a ship with an obscene amount of naviputer that ran 'short' term plots in real time.  If her current course was viable for any distance hyperspace jump you could just smack a mushroom head button and go.  And then it would start again.
Our universe had HKV as a common worry...though we abbreviated the math to stop short of planets cause that's no fun.  Most 'rebelllion' ships carried missiles for dealing with tractor-beams...like Andor.

Damn I miss it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Does he ever look happy?
View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

You guys know that's Favreau in that suit, right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By stimpsonjcat:

Not exactly.

Hyperspace lanes are well-established routes that are deemed 'safe' and 'wide' enough that blasting through them is 'routine'.

There is no reason you couldn't pop off into hyperspace in any random direction for any random time other than your own risk.  It's not like you couldn't override the naviputer and just say "GO! NOW!"  even though that might be suicide.

In the game universe I played in we took a lot of this to logical conclusions.  I had a ship with an obscene amount of naviputer that ran 'short' term plots in real time.  If her current course was viable for any distance hyperspace jump you could just smack a mushroom head button and go.  And then it would start again.
Our universe had HKV as a common worry...though we abbreviated the math to stop short of planets cause that's no fun.  Most 'rebelllion' ships carried missiles for dealing with tractor-beams...like Andor.

Damn I miss it.
View All Quotes

Not exactly.

Damn I miss it.

The Ghost made a few jumps into uncharted space like that. For example, the trip to Lira San.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
In the original EU, super weapons were as common as the flu and went all the way back to the Rakata and their Infinite Empire. The Republic was only at peace for about 2,000 years with the Ruusan Reformation and the disbanding of the Republic Military following the New Sith Wars by then-Chancellor Tarsus Valorum.

It was those 2,000 years that lead to the corruption and issue of the Clone Wars.

The Empire was painted as an authoritarian state and the bad guys under Palpatine. But after the final death of Palpatine, the Imperial Remnant became a civilized power that out lasted the New Republic and helped beat back the Yuuzhan Vong and later was a founding member of the Galactic Alliance and that became the Fel Empire, with Janis Solo as the founding Queen Matriarch.

In the original EU, Alderaan was a specific problem even during the Republic era. It was the Berkley of the core worlds and home to a number of movements that would align with BLM, ANTIFA, and San Francisco's City Council.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#30]
In the original EU, super weapons were as common as the flu and went all the way back to the Rakata and their Infinite Empire. The Republic was only at peace for about 2,000 years with the Ruusan Reformation and the disbanding of the Republic Military following the New Sith Wars by then-Chancellor Tarsus Valorum.

It was those 2,000 years that lead to the corruption and issue of the Clone Wars.

The Empire was painted as an authoritarian state and the bad guys under Palpatine. But after the final death of Palpatine, the Imperial Remnant became a civilized power that out lasted the New Republic and helped beat back the Yuuzhan Vong and later was a founding member of the Galactic Alliance and that became the Fel Empire, with Janis Solo as the founding Queen Matriarch.

In the original EU, Alderaan was a specific problem even during the Republic era. It was the Berkley of the core worlds and home to a number of movements that would align with BLM, ANTIFA, and San Francisco's City Council.
View All Quotes

I'm talking movies here. But, regardless of my opinions of Sam Francisco, I wouldn't consider a government who decided to nuke it as "the good guys."
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]

I'm talking movies here. But, regardless of my opinions of Sam Francisco, I wouldn't consider a government who decided to nuke it as "the good guys."
View All Quotes

In the original EU, Alderaan literally sent out freighters gull of arms to the Rebels, to the point they depleted their own war stocks. Blasting Alderaan was like Russia leveling Grozny.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

That'd be rad, be fun to be a Mandalorian on screen
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:58:32 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

Wearing, one would assume, a girdle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

Paz looks like he's wearing a girdle to me
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:18:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#37]

View All Quotes

What about Japan?

I use that analogy because the fighting throughout the series is meant to be reminiscent of WW2 fighting. The space fights mimic naval battles.  There are dogfights in the air, and ground battles use massed infantry, armor, and artillery.

"Stardust" was effectively the Manhattan Project.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#38]

Not exactly.

Damn I miss it.
View Quote
Yeah, I know.... one could trailblaze and that's why Han was famous for the Kessel Run. In the end, the average FTL trip in Star Wars was on charted and known routes. The Unknown Regions were unknown for a number of reasons and one of them was the issues in charting hyperspace routes. Even the Disney Canon has kept the Great Hyperspace Barrier in place as a reason why the Unknown Regions are unknown. It goes back to the creators of the galaxy and the force.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:20:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PB858] [#39]

View Quote

Favreau was just the voice in the first two seasons, Tait Fletcher is the actor and they started using his voice in Season 3.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By PB858:

Favreau was just the voice in the first two seasons, Tait Fletcher is the actor and they started using his voice in Season 3.

Implying the helmet is coming off at some point...
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I used the von Braun analogy to a friend who was “meh” on the episode. It’s so apt.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By macman37:

I used the von Braun analogy to a friend who was "meh" on the episode. It's so apt.
View Quote
I'm surprised folks are seeing the Operation Paperclip connection to this episode.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm surprised folks are seeing the Operation Paperclip connection to this episode.
View All Quotes

I used the von Braun analogy to a friend who was "meh" on the episode. It's so apt.

Why? It was a pretty obvious parallel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#44]

What about Japan?

I use that analogy because the fighting throughout the series is meant to be reminiscent of WW2 fighting. The space fights mimic naval battles.  There are dogfights in the air, and ground battles use massed infantry, armor, and artillery.

View All Quotes

What about Japan?

It's the weapon, as much as the intent.

"Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station."

Versus expending great effort and treasure propping up post-War Japan to be a strong and independent black woma... erhhh... country.

Using the WWII analogy, there is what the Soviets did after the war.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

no hes not. not on season 3. and its no longer his voice either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

Most folks have no clue about it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:52:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#47]

View All Quotes

Does he ever look happy?

No, it's actually not. Favreau is/was the voice. The body belongs to Tait Fletcher.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Paperclip used their research and promoted continued projects, right?

Pershing was stuck doing menial tasks and wasn't allowed to continue his work.

I guess there is a slight similarity?  Enemy scientist taken in  but that's really it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I thought he still did the voice.  If he doesn’t, then who does?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes

We were willing to overlook Bon Braun's history because we wanted his research. This whole thing with the New Republic is fixated on making sure he repents and the Republic won't even let him conduct his research.

I don't really see the parallel.

There is likely a better one in the post Civil War era, or post War Germany. I'd want to say post reunification Germany, but Germany just unabashedly let the Commies take over.
Page / 180
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top