Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knuckle busters. We used to keep one in each location until offline processing became more common place.
View Quote

My dad had one in his tv shop.  Was easy to get a finger tip stuck under the slide.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I threw mine out a few years ago when they switched me to electronic transactions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whatever.

Do you remember the metal charge plates from department stores?  

http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/imagesd4/d427creditx2b.jpg
View Quote

Very similar: Cars in the '60's came with a "Protecto-Plate" attached to owner's manual for use on warranty claims.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/protect-o-plate-1.cfm
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hahahaha memories
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

'Wood'? You have got to be kidding me. You can't possibly think that's the correct word.
View Quote

Never underestimate people.    Be happy he is in the right ballpark because it sounds right and nowadays, that is usually more than you can hope for.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Worst nightmare shift I ever worked in a restaurant.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#8]
places still have them in case the power goes out and people need to leave
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A lot of stores still have these on standby for when their network goes down. I most recently saw them in use at a Chipotle.
View Quote

Funny chipotle is the last place I saw one also
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I was still using one in 2003. The city police had some weird gas card that required it. One of the cops had to point me to where it was under the counter.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you take Diner's Club?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
As of a couple years ago a hobby shop in Rolla, MO was still using one of those.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Whatever.

Do you remember the metal charge plates from department stores?  

http://image.timepassagesnostalgia.com/watermarked/imagesd4/d427creditx2b.jpg
View Quote

I remember them.  And used one of these for the imprint.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A lot of stores still have these on standby for when their network goes down. I most recently saw them in use at a Chipotle.
View Quote

Those CC imprinting machines can't be used with the current crop of CCs because they don't have the raised lettering, my current card is flat, but the ink is in white so that you can see the CC numbers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#17]
In the '90s, I worked for a rental car company at the airport. We had to imprint the credit card onto the contract. The contract made four or five carbon copies. The customer got one, we kept one for our records, I don't know what else happened to the other couple. But there were always extras. The extras went into the trash. Of course everyone used clear paper bags in the little trash cans under the rental counters.

At the end of the night, all those clear trash bags full of rental car receipts, imprinted with credit cards, went to the trash compactor. Of course, it was always overflowing and there were bags laying all around on the ground near the trash compactor. No surprises, the bags would break and the paper would blow all around.

It's hard to imagine such levels of non-security, in two days PCI world. Credit card theft and identity theft now are so well known, yet just 25 to 30 years ago, you could walk into an area like that and walk out with thousands of credit card numbers and home addresses and driver's license numbers and birthdays, etc...
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, ran one at a Tire Store I ran in 1979. Also used TeleCheck to get approval on personal checks. It was a call in service where you gave your vendor number and check info and they gave back an approval number. Pain in the ass and it could take a while at Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to run cards in one of those all the time. We had a book the card companies would send out periodically that had numbers of cards not to honor. What a PITA. Maybe why I hate retail.
View Quote

The place I worked had an incentive to use that book.  If you found a stolen card, they would give you a $10 reward.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Back in the before time you wood put the card in and slide the contraption and I wood imprint the number into the carbon copy paper.

Then they wood presumably send them to be processed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170265/manual-credit-card-machine-old-technolog-2626614.JPG
View Quote

Had those ^ in the Johannesburg international airport at the rental car counter in 2015.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The thing back then was only people with good credit got them.  It was just a number on a slip of paper that was signed, they knew where people shopped, but not exactly what for.  Once electronic/automated approval process and storage were in place, stores send itemized receipts with the approval request, they give them to everybody to get purchase habits and improve Google AdSense.  (Though they said the details are to fight fraud...  But that was before signing agreements to share the data with Google for both Visa and MC, now they just pretend it doesn't happen)

1984 all around us pushing the cashless society.   Some places won't take $50 or $100 because "too many are counterfeit" when they can run it under a UV light and test in 2 seconds that doesn't seem a good argument.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gat-damn pain in the ass. Gimme cash old man!

I worked at a gas station in the eighties, cranked off many a transaction with them.

The thing back then was only people with good credit got them.  It was just a number on a slip of paper that was signed, they knew where people shopped, but not exactly what for.  Once electronic/automated approval process and storage were in place, stores send itemized receipts with the approval request, they give them to everybody to get purchase habits and improve Google AdSense.  (Though they said the details are to fight fraud...  But that was before signing agreements to share the data with Google for both Visa and MC, now they just pretend it doesn't happen)

1984 all around us pushing the cashless society.   Some places won't take $50 or $100 because "too many are counterfeit" when they can run it under a UV light and test in 2 seconds that doesn't seem a good argument.

You are correct.  Converting America to “eCash only” is another means of increasing government control of “everything” and is as much a part of the Marxist agenda as is registration and confiscation of guns.

IOW, to attain their end game agenda, the government needs to know everything about you and control everything you do.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In the '90s, I worked for a rental car company at the airport. We had to imprint the credit card onto the contract. The contract made four or five carbon copies. The customer got one, we kept one for our records, I don't know what else happened to the other couple. But there were always extras. The extras went into the trash. Of course everyone used clear paper bags in the little trash cans under the rental counters.

At the end of the night, all those clear trash bags full of rental car receipts, imprinted with credit cards, went to the trash compactor. Of course, it was always overflowing and there were bags laying all around on the ground near the trash compactor. No surprises, the bags would break and the paper would blow all around.

It's hard to imagine such levels of non-security, in two days PCI world. Credit card theft and identity theft now are so well known, yet just 25 to 30 years ago, you could walk into an area like that and walk out with thousands of credit card numbers and home addresses and driver's license numbers and birthdays, etc...
View Quote

CC security process is still not very good, we should be using something more like this:
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, I remember when they were brand new gadgets.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#27]
'Last time I had a card run through one of those was on the hood of an Ohio State troopers car when being extorted for a $70 speeding ticket.
Circa 1992
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Lol yes.

And having to call to get. authorization.  PITA.
Don't get me started on taking checks.

I used a no 2 pencel sideways that was painted red A LOT when I disn't have an imprinter (when mobile out of the shop).
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
'Last time I had a card run through one of those was on the hood of an Ohio State troopers car when being extorted for a $70 speeding ticket.
Circa 1992
View Quote

Weird, did they not use mail-in tickets back then?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep.  Used to be a good back up but cards are going away from embossed printing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Circa 1992

I have no idea...
Our choices (three guys on motorcycles) were...
1. Follow the cop into to town and hit an ABM for the cash.
2. Visa or Mastercard right there
3. Go to jail until Monday morning and go before a justice of the peace.

I wasnt even speeding. My two buddies were. He had them pulled over and when I caught up I stopped to see what was what.

'Got fucked

Eta  We were aliens heading back to Canada, so maybe that's why we were made to pay.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#33]
we used an electric version...

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yep.

Shhh-chunk.
View Quote

Quoted:
Yep, old skool.
View Quote

Quoted:
I remember people asking for the carbon out of it so no one stole there card number.

View Quote

All of the above.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Used em a couple times, 20+ years ago- when the credit card machine was down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#36]
There was one before that.  The Charge-a-Plate.  It was like a big stapler. You put the charge card on the surface, and pushed down on a handle. The forced a roller across the card and an embossed metal plate that identified the merchant.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was one before that.  The Charge-a-Plate.  It was like a big stapler. You put the charge card on the surface, and pushed down on a handle. The forced a roller across the card and an embossed metal plate that identified the merchant.
View Quote

I remember when I was a kid seeing an episode of Mr. Ed where Wilbur and the neighbor guy were grousing about their wives spending too much money at the department stores. And they mentioned charger plates.  Even though I was young, I assumed maybe that was an old name for credit cards. Guess I was close enough.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I saw one used in the late '00s-early 2010s when the electronic machine was down at a Dunham's store. I was born in '91 and that's the only time I can recall seeing one used.
View Quote

Same, one in a general store up by Greer around the same time. I thought it was neat because i've also never seen one before.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#39]
We used the slips from them a couple times when the power went out at a restaurant i worked at. I dont know if we had the machine, we would just rub the side of a pen over the paper and card to ge tthe impression.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

'Wood'? You have got to be kidding me. You can't possibly think that's the correct word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the before time you wood put the card in and slide the contraption and I wood imprint the number into the carbon copy paper.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170265/manual-credit-card-machine-old-technolog-2626614.JPG

It gets better.

Quoted:Thats an interesting point. I've seen a couple with the printed numbers. I would think the card company wooden honor it as you could write anything in there

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes of course I'm half a century old??
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I wish I had a penny for every one of these I ran in the five years I worked part-time at an Exxon station after high school and during college. We had full-service and self-service pumps but still had to run the cards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#43]
One of those card machines was probably used to process the sale of this S&W Model 3906 back in '89 when this gun was originally made and sold.

Yeah, I remember those. Abuelo had them for his business.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#44]
i wooden know, what wood i do with it? wood i like it? or wooda hate it? cood i took with me?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
zip-zop, we used them in a gas station i worked in, as a kid.
View Quote

This. And we had to walk into the back, call the 800 number, and get authorization.

Threatened to siphon the gas out of a tank on more than one occasion when it was declined.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:47:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a part time retail auto parts gig. We keep a metal box under the counter of forms to use if the electric goes out or the network goes down.

Just like a receipt, name, address, phone, purchase details and CC number with number on the back. Cust gets a copy.  When the power comes back, we enter them all in by hand, and hope they aren't declined.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:56:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, I still keep them in my buildings for use in case of power failures.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Yup… and the ranch where we pheasant hunt still has one. Old boy bitches every time we hand him a card. He fills out the carbon form by hand with card info…

Lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won’t work with my cards. They are engraved on the back with the number instead of raised numbers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top