Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was literally scored by Hans fucking Zimmer, the best living film composer there is.
View Quote

I feel like one of the only people who doesn't like his scores. To me they're full of a lot of random noise (Zimmer seems to love clicking sounds), and often mixed so loud to a level that they overpower the movie itself, but that's not entirely his fault.

Imo Dark Knight is one example of a movie where the score is like the elephant in the room, smashing everything around it to bits while you're trying to hear the dialogue in vain
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! What an epic movie!

They deviated in a number of spots from the book and older films to great effect. It kept the story fresh and I think it really made it easier to follow and appreciate.  

Casting was fantastic for the whole thing too. Great choices and really added some realism.

The Geidi Prime “black sun”, and high contrast black and white made the world feel so very unique and alien. Stunning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw it today. First time I’ve been in a theater since I don’t know when.

Excellent film.

Faithful to the feel and substance of the book.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Took my pop last night.

He was overwhelmed from my take.

The story is overly complicated for many people.  

I LOVED IT.  They did a fantastic job with this installment.  The cinematography is on a level rarely seen on film.  

My huge take away was the SOUNDS.  The sound work was like nothing I have heard.  You could feel the scenes as much as see them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow! What an epic movie!

They deviated in a number of spots from the book and older films to great effect. It kept the story fresh and I think it really made it easier to follow and appreciate.  

Casting was fantastic for the whole thing too. Great choices and really added some realism.

The Geidi Prime “black sun”, and high contrast black and white made the world feel so very unique and alien. Stunning.
View Quote

Geidi Prime was filmed in using IR film from what I am reading.  It made for amazing visuals.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Geidi Prime was filmed in using IR film from what I am reading.  It made for amazing visuals.
View Quote

It really was exciting.  

At first, I was confused.  The absolute stark whiteness and inky blackness wasn't something that makup or black and white film could deliver  when the announcer spoke of their black sun and they showed it, it all clicked.  Just beautuful.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I saw it last night and this is right. It's not a 1:1 adaptation, but it's about as well done as a film can be. The ranged weapons were neat worldbuilding too.
View Quote

The laser weapons were insane.  I can easily imagine portable laser weapons being like that 20,000 years from now.  Plus, they kept the mechanic in there that if a laser hits a shield it causes a nuclear detonation from feedback, so they were careful with them.

The ornithopter machine shotguns were cool too.  

All the various weapons and countermeasures make for difficult and bloody war.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It was literally scored by Hans fucking Zimmer, the best living film composer there is.
View Quote

I especially loved the soundtrack.  The callbacks to the Lynch Dune soundtrack with the guitar was incredibly well done and used sparingly in the perfect spots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw it last night with my family.

Outstanding movie. I love Dune and I've seen the 1980 movie, the miniseries and the first part of this rendition. Fantastic! I can't wait for the next part.

It's beautiful, sound is intense, story is captivating... 9/10 great movie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Great movie. Definitely go see this in the theater.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was ok.

Casting Walken was a mistake I think. He is too typecast.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought it was ok.

View Quote

You kept waiting on more cow bell?

He did a fantastic Joe Biden.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You kept waiting on more cow bell?

He did a fantastic Joe Biden.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Movie started slow. Then Austin Butler was introduced and it took off. Sound was mega powerful in IMAX. My one ear was still ringing after. The filming color change on the Harkonnen home world was crazy looking.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw it last night, walked out giving it a 9/120, as I think on it 8-8.5/10.

Over all great movie.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
No One Is Talking About THIS! DUNE Cinematography

IR film
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Great movie 10/10,    that isn't without some minor issues of continuity but easily shrugged off (someone already said that Paul goes out into the desert solo and then it flashes forward).   Will see in theater again before it's gone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got out of the theater a few hours ago and am still digesting it. But overall, I'm unsatisfied. I've done all of Herbert's six books and am a big fan of the Dune universe. This struck me as more of a love letter to Dune than an adaption which was loosely based on Part 2.

Click To View Spoiler

Overall, it was stunning and I'm glad it exist. But if the first book was -A/A level of work, this was more like C grade IMO. It was a missed opportunity in the sense they strayed from the source material and made their own thing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife and I saw it last night in IMAX. Somehow, it exceeded my expectations. I loved it. My wife, who isn’t a sci-fi fan at all, enjoyed it as well. Prior to this, she had no interest in watching part 1 and was content watching a recap. She’s now interested in watching the entire movie.

Fantastic movie.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Saw it last night, walked out giving it a 9/120, as I think on it 8-8.5/10.

Over all great movie.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Visuals were very good. Chani and her angry girl bullshit was horrible. Jessica, I mean, wtf. They really needed 3 movies to do this right. It was like chapter after chapter was given 2 mins of screentime. It was very disjointed and overall shit compared to the first one. Far too many deviations, enormously important ones, from the book. The whole ending was garbage. TC is simply not convincing. You cant cast a manlet as Paul Atreides. Wait for it somewhere you dont have to pay.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Just got home.

KILLER flick.

Yeah yeah, it's not the book verbatim. Who gives a shit?

It kept my total attention from the opening till the end.

I thought it was better than the 1st one and that's a pretty tall order.

Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Movie stars in approx 20 minutes
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw it this morning. A better movie than the first. The first was the most beautiful movie I have ever seen. Whatever these people making these movies are doing... they are killing it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Oh I missed that it was her, hot blond looked like a hot blond. Make a lot more since now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought it was ok.

View Quote

Agreed. My only complaint of the movie.

In every scene I kept expecting him to talk with his weird vocal cadence and it pulled me out of the moment.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I read a take it said in the books halls concern about becoming. The Messiah was mostly internal dialogue. The Director decided to make Chani the personification of that reluctance since anytime you do internal dialogue on a movie it sucks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I liked it, first movie I’ve seen in theaters in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Visuals were very good. Chani and her angry girl bullshit was horrible. Jessica, I mean, wtf. They really needed 3 movies to do this right. It was like chapter after chapter was given 2 mins of screentime. It was very disjointed and overall shit compared to the first one. Far too many deviations, enormously important ones, from the book. The whole ending was garbage. TC is simply not convincing. You cant cast a manlet as Paul Atreides. Wait for it somewhere you dont have to pay.
View Quote
I didn't really feel like Chalamet had the gravitas to pull off a convincing Messiah/Emperor, but Stilgar, Gurney, and Rabban in particular I thought were pretty well cast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Stilgar's casting was good but giving him the 'Gimli treatment' was frustrating. He went from the stoic wise man to the plucky uncle/comic relief which was very different than Part 1 and the books.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got back.  Deviations from the books, but an awesome movie!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I didn't really feel like Chalamet had the gravitas to pull off a convincing Messiah/Emperor, but Stilgar, Gurney, and Rabban in particular I thought were pretty well cast.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing most of the movie. But, after the water of life, his entire screen presence changed.  He became a rage filled character quickly and it was a stark contrast that I think worked.  He wasn't a physical force of nature as much as an impassioned one.  

In the book, he was in the desert for years, allowing him to grow into a man.  They forwent that in this movie to be a stretch of about 6 months, going by Jessica’s pregnancy.  So, he didn't age and grow into a warrior, but instead a leader in this version.

Kind of how they approached Pattinson as Batman.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw it in 4DX yesterday.... wish I had just done the IMAX. The moving seats made following the hand-to-hand combat scenes really difficult. (I've said it before, but I saw Top Gun: Maverick in 4DX and it was AMAZING for that movie; Dune2 is the third movie I've done in 4DX and it just doesn't seem to work as well for any other movie)

Completely agree on the cinematography - the scale of it was amazing. Though for such a long movie, I felt they could have explained a few plot points better. I've never read the books or watched the '80s movie, and I've seen the SciFi series but that was when it first aired probably..

Click To View Spoiler

I don't know, definitely preferred the first movie. I think either a lot of finer points got cut in editing or they were just too constrained by time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Agreed. My only complaint of the movie.

In every scene I kept expecting him to talk with his weird vocal cadence and it pulled me out of the moment.
View Quote

This.  Movie was amazing just like part 1.  Many movies don't follow the book exactly and is expected.  I'm still on high from watching it last night in Imax but I was wanting more!  Should have been a 3 part series for book 1.  Let's hope they make Messiah next and can keep the "spice" flowing!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#37]
8/10. I could list a lot of gripes but I enjoyed it. I think I liked Godzilla more as it was a total satisfying package.

When Paul drank the water of life I felt the effect on the Navigators and Bene Geserit was downplayed too much. Lynch actually did a better job on that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#39]
It will be interesting to see how they follow Chani's story in the next movie, since they went completely off the reservation with her. Other than that, great movie.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Great movie!

They definitely made some interesting choices.

Click To View SpoilerClick To View Spoiler
When you make a movie, you have to really manage the number of characters and gyrations within the story or the large casual audience will get lost in the minute.

Also the choices felt like they came from with the idea to holding to the soul of Dune. Not some Hollywood schmuck who think he knew Dune better than Frank.

8.5/10
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'll wait for it to show up on MAX so I can avoid the morons in the theater.
View Quote

It's such a niche movie genre most of the morons are going elsewhere.  I enjoyed it in IMAX.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw it today in IMAX and I thought it was amazing.

Full disclosure, I haven’t read the book yet, and I vaguely remember the 80s movie from my childhood. I do have Dune in paperback and audible, but for some reason have never gotten to it yet. My opinion might change once I read it as most often happens with big screen book adaptations.

I assume this second movie concludes the original book? Are the follow on books good as well?
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I spent the morning in my shop listening to the Dune and Dune 2 soundtrack. I WILL be buying them on vinyl.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Loved the movie. But damn, Zendaya made me hate Chani.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw it today in IMAX and I thought it was amazing.

Full disclosure, I haven't read the book yet, and I vaguely remember the 80s movie from my childhood. I do have Dune in paperback and audible, but for some reason have never gotten to it yet. My opinion might change once I read it as most often happens with big screen book adaptations.

I assume this second movie concludes the original book? Are the follow on books good as well?
View Quote
Kinda conclude the first book, includes a bit of the second as well.  They went off on a tangent with Chani and I'm scared she's going to be the new Mary Sue that conquers the evil men and takes over the known universe.

The books are good if you like off the wall sci-fi, but it only goes downhill from the first one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Loved the movie. But damn, Zendaya made me hate Chani.
View Quote
Character was poorly written... Too much petulant teenager.  Paul and Chani were very much adults by the time of the events in the movie but they do a horrible job showing the passage of time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It was okay.

Lots of wasted time of Chani making angry girl faces that could have been used to expand on the lore.

Walken was a horrible emperor.

Part 1 was the better film.

View Quote

I’ve seen it 3 times in 3 different theaters (2 in IMAX).  I have been a fan for the book for over 40 years.  Part 2 blew me away in all the good ways.  I love this movie.

However, Zendayas constant angry girl face was getting to be a bit much, so you’re not wrong in that. Walker was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dune 1 was a dud. I assume 2 will be as well.  Just not my taste. Then again,  I wasn't particularly entertained by any of the Star Wars stuff either.
View Quote

Hopefully they will make Barbie part 2 for you…
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top