Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's multiple things, way more walking or riding bikes just to get to the bus/train station or to go most places. Food portions are smaller and eating most foods with chop sticks means you eat less overall.  

Shit, one of the first words I learned in Cantonese while living in Hong Kong was how to say "No bones" as in please don't use the giant butcher knife to chop up a chicken quarter leg into a thousand pieces to pick through and spit out.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People don't walk in places like New York or Honolulu (tons of Japanese there)? Interesting. I get if Japanese were living in like Cows Crotch, MO, miles away from the nearest market, but generally speaking people are living and touring in major urban areas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They change their lifestyles significantly because they don’t walk here compared to home.

People don't walk in places like New York or Honolulu (tons of Japanese there)? Interesting. I get if Japanese were living in like Cows Crotch, MO, miles away from the nearest market, but generally speaking people are living and touring in major urban areas.

NYC is skinnier than the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah. Growing up I had some childhood neighbor friends from Texas and was shocked at the amount of sugar they consumed and considered it normal.

Even breakfast they would be shaking sugar over their already sweetened cereal.

Bread on a sandwich? Sweetened sugary bread with almost no nutrition.

Tea? Tasted like sugary syrup and they would drink it all day.

It was like every dish had to be sugary and sweetened in some way.

One of them tried some instant Crystal Lite tea that I thought was already overly sweet and they about gagged thinking it was bitter.

My families idea of "iced tea" was brewing real tea, mixing in some honey or minimal sugar, and then putting it in the fridge.

The other one that shocked me is the amount of soda they would consume. Like the entire family of 5 would easily go through a 24 pack or more a day.

I can understand have certain sugary treats on occasion like fun snacks at the annual fair but can't imagine doing that daily.

View Quote

I recently had a young lady working the drive through ask me very incredulously if I really drank the tea with NO sugar.

I did gag the first time I ordered an iced tea in the South.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cocaine and lots of walking.

Plus a non fast food meal out is $50 a plate.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
1.  People aren't fat cuz they eat too much.  they fat cuz they eat too much CARBOHYDRATE.  Eat carbs, your insulin goes up and you are hungry again in an hour. Eat a steak, you are happy and satisfied for many hours.

2.  Asians eat relatively high carb in their home countries, like Japan.  Hmm. Interesting.

3.  Despite higher tolerance for carbs, Asians go to pot when they move here.

Reason:  SEED OILS.

And fast food.  And universal instant access to  high carb shit.  And general quality of everything you eat in our country, I am sorry to say.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Added sugar in absolutely everything. And, you know what they do to make low fat food taste good? Add more sugar and sweetners.

Fat is good for you, it's what your body needs.

Sugar is bad. Your body has zero need for it.
View Quote

You speak the truth.

I accidentally bought a jar of low fat Skippy peanut butter and didn't notice until I ate a spoonful. It was sickeningly sweet with the weirdest texture. Of course, being peanut butter I couldn't spit it out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The don't walk or ride bicycles any more, and eat huge portions of the American crap food that is served to them by their obese host families.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
"Low fat" was genocide-level experimentation on the largest scale in history.

Cue NASA control room photo from 1969:  average waist 32 inches.  a few decades of food pyramid later,  you have what you see when you change planes in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck finding toothpaste without sweetener.

It’s why I just swish with scotch several times a day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Eat a species appropriate diet, live a long and healthy and very gratifying life.

Eat what your .gov told you to, and be miserable, live with chronic disease, and die early.

Steak baby! screw those Pop Tarts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you close your eye every time a potential minor walks by?
There's a difference between staring somebody up and down and noticing obvious physical characteristics at a glance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's pretty much the definition of checking someone out. "Noticing" their boobs, body and face.
There's a difference between staring somebody up and down and noticing obvious physical characteristics at a glance.

Difference between specifically singling out minors to ogle, as he's trying to infer, vs noticing prominent physical characteristics, then noticing that the owner of those features appears to be really young.

No different than observing that when I was in Asia decades ago, the only folks that usually stood a head taller than the other folks around, were foreigners, vs more recently where there are a significantly higher number of 6'+ males in downtown Japan, then when you take a closer look, realize that they're not foreigners, but younger Japanese men (the Japanese men ~40 or older still seem to be mostly in the 5'5" - 5'9" range).

It's all good, though.

Anono is probably still peeved about getting roasted in the, "Is this pic real?" thread
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Multiple, multiple glances apparently.

And no, I don't close my eyes. I also don't go around noting the breast sizes of 14 year old girls in a room though. I guess in this thread we get to talk about food, and see who the pedophiles are. Awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And no, I don't close my eyes. I also don't go around noting the breast sizes of 14 year old girls in a room though. I guess in this thread we get to talk about food, and see who the pedophiles are. Awesome!

That butthurt over getting called out and roasted in this thread, huh?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Can-you-guys-look-at-the-pixels-and-tell-me-if-this-bad-ass-photo-is-real-/5-2664454/?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not just junk food but our processed food is junk.

Super refined wheat products that have nearly or worse than the same glycemic effect as table sugar, as well as corn product in everything they can manage to force it in.

The standard American diet is trash.

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The don't walk or ride bicycles any more, and eat huge portions of the American crap food that is served to them by their obese host families.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop projecting.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm in my 40s and even looking back in my yearbooks and 35mm prints taken all through high school, none of the girls looked like they did today.

Mentioned it to a friend that girls look way older now and he was convinced it was in my head and something that happens when you get older and look back.

Then we went through our yearbooks and it was shocking.

Like if a thin girl had larger breasts, she was an outlier and stood out. I grew up in the normal suburbs too. Not some amish community.

Doesn't help that nowadays your average middle school girl knows how to do make-up contouring, all the designer labels, and shops at Victoria Secrets for push-up bras.

Even in my high school yearbook everyone just looked like normal teenagers. Like older kids in awkward phase before adulthood.

One of my friends showed me pics of his Jr high and high school daughter with friends doing a group photo before a recent Taylor Swift concert.

All of them could have easily passed as 18 or even early 20s. Not one of them looked like a "kid."

Today there is no "awkward" phase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would you know they're 14 until you look at them? I think you're being a bit ridiculous in your assumptions here. When I went to school in the early 2000s, there was a public interest in why young girls were developing prematurely, but I don't think the adults discussing that were pedophiles for noticing. At the time they put the blame on hormones in food, but in retrospect, it was probably just mostly due to overeating. Now we've far passed that point and the public debate is on why eight year olds are already built like humpty dumpty.

I'm in my 40s and even looking back in my yearbooks and 35mm prints taken all through high school, none of the girls looked like they did today.

Mentioned it to a friend that girls look way older now and he was convinced it was in my head and something that happens when you get older and look back.

Then we went through our yearbooks and it was shocking.

Like if a thin girl had larger breasts, she was an outlier and stood out. I grew up in the normal suburbs too. Not some amish community.

Doesn't help that nowadays your average middle school girl knows how to do make-up contouring, all the designer labels, and shops at Victoria Secrets for push-up bras.

Even in my high school yearbook everyone just looked like normal teenagers. Like older kids in awkward phase before adulthood.

One of my friends showed me pics of his Jr high and high school daughter with friends doing a group photo before a recent Taylor Swift concert.

All of them could have easily passed as 18 or even early 20s. Not one of them looked like a "kid."

Today there is no "awkward" phase.

Interesting/amusing anecdotal observations wrt American HS photos from decades ago, vs nowadays.

1) HS kids overall are a LOT fatter than 40-50 years ago
2) they seem to be maturing physically, significantly earlier/younger (i.e  looking older/more mature in that sense)
3) but kids faces, for some reason, looked older/more mature decades ago.

I noticed this in one of the threads where folks posted yearbook photos from the 80s, 70s and 60s. It wasn't merely from the old hairstyles and clothing styles. If you blanked/blocked out the hair and clothing, some of those 17-18 y/o kids faces looked like some of the 30-something and even 40-something folks nowadays.

I think one of those threads also had comparisons of actors and actresses in TV shows and movies from the 70s and 80s, and they look like actors and actresses from current shows who are ~20 years older (eg. 30-something y/o actors and actresses who look like many 50-something y/o actors and actresses nowadays).
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Gross
View All Quotes

@midcapdestraffe?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stop projecting.
View Quote

All I know is that if I had a 14 year old daughter in that room, I wouldn't want her to be around this guy, or the others trying to justify it.

Imagine you knew she was there with him, then as her dad you overhear some guy say this, knowing he's talking about your 14 year old daughter:

"One of the things that stuck out to me in the mass of Asians attending, were the number of Asian girls who were in the ~14'ish age range, with large mammaries.

I even commented, "Where were these kinds of Asian girls when I was that age? You were lucky to see B-cups on the average high school aged Asian girls, back then".

Gross. Look at it from a different perspective and it changes things. This isn't some cultural anthropologist studying a group of people. It's an old dude at a party. The amount of hypocrisy in GD is astonishing.

If you knew that a democrat posted it, you would almost certainly call them a pedophile.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]
In this thread, we declare our allegiance to simple answers to complex questions.

All I know is that I can eat like a pig abroad and rapidly lose weight. Come home and everything smells different for a couple days and I slowly return to my pre+trip weight.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd much, much rather be halfway wrong over a stupid photo than have outed myself as a old dude who not only checks out 14 year old girls, but writes about it on a public forum, then tries to justify it somehow. That's just me though.

Ya'll are nuttier than something that's really, really nuts. I'm not going to say anything else about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Gross
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'd eat those bento boxes every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd much, much rather be halfway wrong over a stupid photo than have outed myself as a old dude who not only checks out 14 year old girls, but writes about it on a public forum, then tries to justify it somehow. That's just me though.

Ya'll are nuttier than something that's really, really nuts. I'm not going to say anything else about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still trying too hard, and getting nowhere  
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Google says you have to walk 1 mile to burn 100 calories.  Not sure that's enough to explain it.
View Quote

That alone is a pound of weight a year, all else being equal. And (let me check my fingers....).. over 10lbs a decade.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All I know is that if I had a 14 year old daughter in that room, I wouldn't want her to be around this guy, or the others trying to justify it. Gross. Look at it from a different perspective. The amount of hypocrisy in GD is astonishing.

If you knew that a democrat posted it, you would almost certainly call them a pedophile.
View Quote
Every time anybody on this board has made legitimate statements endorsing pedophilia, they are swiftly called out. Nothing about his statement makes me think that he has a desire to molest children. You're the only person so far that has interpreted that way.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Because they're hanging out with fat Americans
View Quote

There's a lot of truth in that, you become who you hang around.

I do a lot by myself because I don't know anyone that will move. I know they are out there, just not in my circle of acquaintances. I'm in my mid 60's, my neighbors are about the same, maybe a little older. They've never made a habit of walking or exercising, ever since I've moved here 27 years ago.

It's a half mile around the block, one mile around the double block that circles around our street. They can't even walk to the end of the block.

I have routes I walk the dogs around the neighborhood, 4 miles is the long one I regularly walk, but I can extend that if I want. I can shorten it as well so we have a lot of choices depending on time and weather.  I see the same people walking or doing other things when we are out.

I've gone to shopping centers with people, they will drive from one store to the other, in the same parking lot.

There are a couple friends I go grocery shopping with, I drop them off at the door, they find reasons why they can't walk through the parking lot. They and their family are very very picky about what they eat, most of it is prepared.

The one used to walk a lot but now "doesn't feel good". If they are waiting until they feel good, that day is never going to come. They are getting old before their time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In this thread, we declare our allegiance to simple answers to complex questions.

All I know is that I can eat like a pig abroad and rapidly lose weight. Come home and everything smells different for a couple days and I slowly return to my pre+trip weight.
View Quote

I worked overseas for 10 years and experienced the same thing.  Ate as much or more overseas and lost weight, came home and in 30 days back to my pre-trip weight.  And part of this was in South America where we ate prime Argentinian solomo and churrasco steaks several times a week.

That convinced me that there is something g different in the food here in the US and it ain't healthy.  I also remember back in the '70's and '80's never seeing really overweight people, i.e. 300 to 400 pounds.  I see that everyday now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Most other nations are not skinny, they are just normal.

In America food companies want to sell more, so the food portions and advertisement is encouraging people to eat and drink more.
Then there's sugar and other addictive drugs added to food (Yes, sugar is an addictive drug).
Then there is general lazy life style.
Then there is not caring about how one looks.
Then there is this misconception that carbs are good, healthy and necessary.
Then there is lack of probiotics in American diet.
Then there is most of the food is "fake." Grain fed meat and poultry loaded with hormones. GMO plants, etc...

It's the combination of all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So many of the narratives of what we've been told about why Americans, and the west in general, is getting so fat... seem to run contrary to some of what we observe elsewhere.

Here are some things that have been blamed for obesity.

1. We're fat because we're rich.
Firstly, Im not entirely sure about that. Obesity rates seem to be higher in poorer communities IN America. If that was true, the reverse would be true with wealthier people being fat and poor people being skinny.

Secondly, Japan is a very wealthy country. Yet Japanese exchange students statistically put on quite a few pounds when they come to America.

2. Its all the Junk food!

Having traveled to Asia, believe me... they have junk food too. And its dirt cheap too. In fact, in Asia, people probably eat out more often than they do in America given how there are far more cheap street food options.

3. Its a personality deficiency.

Again, then explain why a Japanese person can be skinny their entire life in Japan... and when they come to America, they get fat? Does their personality just change immediately after coming to America?

Honestly, I suspect there is something fundamentally different about our food. I feel there is far more going on than what "LOL, just make better choices bro!" types want you to believe.

There are still skinny people in America, and so those people will just point at fat people saying "Well I can stay skinny, so its your fault!"
Perhaps. But Perhaps whatever is affecting the rest of society,... just doesnt seem to affect others as much?

I knew a guy who ate Wendys almost every day, for almost every meal. The most amount of exercize he would get is occasionally playing basket ball. He didn't run. He didn't lift weights. He EXCLUSIVELY drank sodas and juices. Absolutely could not drink water to save his life. Yet somehow, he was scrawny (WTF!?). He wasn't living a super active lifestyle. Yet I've known people who led fairly active lifestyles, who still manage to be fat... and didn't come NEAR his level of eating junk food.

There is something really fucky going on in America. I just dont know what it is.
Dont know if its because we've destroyed our Gut fauna, which perhaps in the past would have left us with more of a sensation of satiety throughout the day... and also consuming more of our calories for us?
Dont know if its chemicals being pumped into our food that make us addicted to the food/leave us hungry even after eating massive amounts of calories.
Something they put in the water?

View Quote

Calories in vs. calories out man, it’s really that simple.  Shitty diets + sedentary lifestyle = obesity.  Sometimes when people think they are making “better choices”, they are actually making shitty chocies.  Veganism is very unhealthy, have you ever noticed most vegans are shaped like a pear?  Track calories (1.2 grams of protein per lbs of body weight), lift weights, do cardio, get good sleep and you’ll stay lean (or get lean and then stay lean).
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:25:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s ??.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That alone is a pound of weight a year, all else being equal. And (let me check my fingers....).. over 10lbs a decade.
View Quote

You only walk 35 miles a year?
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#37]
It's in the "food".
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]
100cal/day is basically 10lb/yr.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#39]
People think Big Macs don't be like they are but they do.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because it is everything nowadays.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but this is close…

In the late sixties the average American supposedly consumed something like 4 pounds of sugar a year. Now it’s like 16 pounds.

And that is added sugar. Stuff we don’t control that companies put in our processed foods.

It’s crazy and the truth really is that high fructose corn syrup is the devil. Not because of what it is but just because of it being in everything now.
View Quote

I did a few searches to see how much sugar Americans consume a year and it looks like we consume 60 fucking pounds a year lol.  Thank tod I’m keto and not fat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Social pressure in Japan.

Easier to be fat when everyone around you is fat.
View Quote

Probably this.  

Japan: Difficult Country For LARGE People
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#42]
My son spent a month in Japan over the Summer. He walked ~7 miles per day on average, and rode tons of trains. I suspect walking, eating smaller portions, and less sugar in their foods is the reason.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Our food is dogshit. Everything in the center isles of  stores is trash. Everything at fast food restaurants is trash. Almost everything is loaded with harmful additives, food coloring, excessive added sugars and God knows what other chemical concoctions that are being labeled as "natural flavors."

You have to put forth a conscious effort and go out of your way to seek out healthy options, and the healthy options that remain are generally more than double or triple the price.

Real and natural foods that were the staple of American diets 60 years ago are now much more expensive than the dogshit foods. All the unnatural bullshit that has been added to cheapen our food has artificially suppressed the inflation rate. As our dollar has been devalued our food has been devalued in tandem so the effects of inflation don't look as bad, but all those savings on lower quality unhealthy foods wind up costing more down the road in the form of medical bills and lower efficiency from being an unhealthy fat fuck

Combine that with a sedentary life and boom, you have an easily controllable nation of entitled, weak fat-bodies who bear zero resemblance to their forbearers and don't deserve to be called Americans because they have destroyed the country's brand.

Flying from abroad and then setting foot back in an American airport is embarrassing as fuck. Seeing all these fatbodies waddling around is like a giant billboard saying "Welcome to America! We're a nation of weak-minded, unhealthy, lazy, gluttons who have zero impulse control"
View Quote

Amen Brother preach it!
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I notice you don't mention portion size anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
fructose corn syrup
View Quote
My belief also
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
1.  People aren't fat cuz they eat too much.  they fat cuz they eat too much CARBOHYDRATE.  Eat carbs, your insulin goes up and you are hungry again in an hour. Eat a steak, you are happy and satisfied for many hours.

2.  Asians eat relatively high carb in their home countries, like Japan.  Hmm. Interesting.

3.  Despite higher tolerance for carbs, Asians go to pot when they move here.

Reason:  SEED OILS.

And fast food.  And universal instant access to  high carb shit.  And general quality of everything you eat in our country, I am sorry to say.

View Quote

Nope. Sugar.

I lost 40 pounds in 4 months by eliminating sugar. I never tracked calories or fat at all.

I tried to keep my carbs below about 70g/day. Too low is really bad for men, you’ll crater your testosterone out.

I tried, and almost never achieved, reaching 175g of protein per day.

A limit and a goal, and I dropped weight literally by the day because I desperately excluded sugar.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nope. Sugar.

I lost 40 pounds in 4 months by eliminating sugar. I never tracked calories or fat at all.

View Quote
Sometimes that's all it takes. That's why I always recommend cutting out soda first. It's can be a substantial amount of added calories every day.
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sometimes that's all it takes. That's why I always recommend cutting out soda first. It's can be a substantial amount of added calories every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Sugar.

I don’t think so. I never drank much soda. A few here and there, but not like some people do.

Sugar is in everything. Eat actual food that isn’t laced with sugar… weight falls off. Fast.

I had to force feed myself trying to meet my intake goals. And still lost a couple pounds or more every week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:35:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Sugar.

ONE single can of regular soda is ~140 kcal.

Most folks who drink that stuff, don't drink just one a day. 2 a day = 280 kcal.

1 lb of fat = 4,090 kcal. So just going from 2 regular sodas a day to water only = 2lb of fat per month.

Used to know people who went through a 2l of Mountain Dew a day. That's 950 kcal.

Funny to see people say they don't count calories, they just cut sugary drinks. Yeah, you just cut a whole lot of calories.

Same goes for food. Looking for, and eliminating all the processed stuff with a lot of added sugar, generally cuts a lot of calories.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would not bet against this post.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top