Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a new art technique you are trying?

Why are you covering the plane in cream cheese?

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
And just for the record.....  

Two different students did not get left on the lift yesterday, two different times.   It didn't happen.  

That is all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 8:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#7]

I had a chance to talk to students yesterday and a die grinder was suggested.   I'm not sure if battery powered or air powered would be best.   The air powered are much cheaper, and we have air and hoses readily available.   We end up using Dremels in areas where they are a little small for what we are tying to do.  

We also always need more sawsall blades, jigsaw blades, dremel cut off wheels, grinding bits, and DeWalt 20vt batteries.  

View Quote

I'll see what the paycheck will let me do...don't think the die grinder is in the cards right now, from me, sorry, but I will find something.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry if this has been suggested but could you do a Wedding Registry type thing at Home Depot, Amazon, or another hardware store?  

Might make it easier to grab supplies and tools
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BigMat:  Sorry if this has been suggested but could you do a Wedding Registry type thing at Home Depot, Amazon, or another hardware store?  

Might make it easier to grab supplies and tools
View Quote

Home Depot or Lowes, & seconded.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Update 1/4

Moving the Sopwith today.    We are running into a little problem getting it closer to the wall.  The light fixtures and sprinkler system are in the way and we don't want to have a problem messing with either.  

We think we can get the tail a bit closer to the corner of the room, but the center will need to stay about the same.  

It should be able a bit more than it currently is and hopefully we can get it closer to the ceiling.

https://i.imgur.com/bwsDnyE.jpeg

View Quote

Whoa! whoa! Mr. Kotter!  

That rigging to the left has   "Saddled a Dead Horse",   that means the saddle of the wire rope clip is on "dead"(wrong) cable side or tail end and not the "live" working load side.  The bottom clip twist is hard to tell in the image  but looks like may be  wrong also. Meaning both clips were placed being backwards. The U bolt goes around the dead  tail  end and the weighted "live" side goes inside & against the "saddle". You want the cable coming down or under the load to be in the saddle against it and the tail end  after it goes around the thimble to help press it into that saddle.  

Also the number of clips is wrong, can't tell the cable size but it needs at least 3 cable clips all placed on it  the same way, with a certain amount spacing between and a length  of tail extending beyond that last 3rd (or more) clip.  

Here are two charts with examples below.

The line coming down through the ceiling is the "live" line and when it comes back around the thimble and becomes the tail, which  is now called  the dead end.  Quick Reminder Phrase is  to "Never saddle a dead horse"  

https://www.sapsis-rigging.com/clipapp.html

https://www.worksafenb.ca/safety-talk/en/15-wire-rope-cable-clips.html

In case you want a laugh   some non standard humorous  industry terms https://www.sapsis-rigging.com/NSTTerms.html from around the country.  Sapsis Rigging is an  entertainment  theater  industry  Supplier.   They also have that odd ' stage hardware" that lets us hang everything and fly it in(down) and out(up) repetitively or leave it hanging, quality  "D rings and Keeper Plates" that are rated are worth their weight in gold for safety.  After that then there is "Grip" rigging hardware which becomes equally puzzling for the  wth?,  Grips will  build  a cage around various  cars and then ride and film on it outside the car. You can trust them and their weird hardware more than Alec Baldwin on a set.....  Fun Fact, that fits with the planes themes, in  the 1950's& 1960's the improved and condensed Camera Dollies came about from their creator being in WW2 loading bombs onto planes and using their special dollies.

I saw down the page it was back up in the air, so please make sure the cable clips were put back on right ,  and that they have the right number of clips and spacing.  

If it needs fixing,  teach the kids to "Never Saddle a Dead Horse"  for a way to remember which way the cable clip parts go for safety. They'll then  spot them wrong on many so called professional install jobs especially in nightclubs, bars/restaurants and even museums. I've had to explain the proper use  while also narc'ing the unsafe crap the to the local city's building inspector during inspections while working to open  new clubs. Because the other companies didn't want to fix them, despite easy to do one at a time , even if already skating on a thin the safety factor, you don't have to unhang anything or loose the trim angle.

So that was

Never Saddle A Dead Horse,

Along with the always wise words & lyrics from the band "Riders in the Sky", who reminds you to

Always drink upstream of the herd
and to
never squat while wearing spurs.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#13]
@guns762- Check IM
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:41:54 AM EDT
[#14]
IM sent too!
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good.  Probably time to decide work is not progressing fast enough, and to reorganize the work teams completely, putting folks who hate working together, together, to build synergy.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:20:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Are you waiting on more boards to start riveting?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Be careful with that explosion, because…

Napalm sticks to kids!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Looking good.  Probably time to decide work is not progressing fast enough, and to reorganize the work teams completely, putting folks who hate working together, together, to build synergy.  
View Quote

We musta worked for the same company at one time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#23]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#24]
If I had a teacher like you I probably wouldnt have dropped out. You rock dude!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#25]

I had a chance to talk to students yesterday and a die grinder was suggested.   I'm not sure if battery powered or air powered would be best.   The air powered are much cheaper, and we have air and hoses readily available.   We end up using Dremels in areas where they are a little small for what we are tying to do.  

We also always need more sawsall blades, jigsaw blades, dremel cut off wheels, grinding bits, and DeWalt 20vt batteries.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Nice!
What other tools might you be needing?

I've got a small die grinder I can send out-just need an address. Bought 4 of them on clearance at Walmart last year because they were a good price.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Update 1/17  
Another huge THANK YOU to @FB41

This package showed up Friday right before students were excused for the day.

This young man is a welding fabricator with an incredible attention to detail,  imagination,  and artistic sense.   He has been scaling most of our F-22, and drawing up the wings and elevators from caliper and the 1/48 scale model.   He was very excited to see the new air tools and so many accessories for us to use.  
https://i.imgur.com/sz2f0E9.jpg

Again, FB41, thank you Sir!  
https://i.imgur.com/r30CUct.jpg

The panel lines continue on the fuselage.   There are more there, and more obvious than one would initially expect. They will have to be done before we hit it with paint.   The nose triangle line will be interesting to create.
https://i.imgur.com/tbFBgmB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X6siTri.jpg

View Quote

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]
 Am I the only one that looks at pictures like this and thinks: Future X-Wing Fighter, where's R2D2

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 2:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#35]

I see it.

We might have done something Star Wars at some point, except for the possibility that Disney would probably file a lawsuit, and so many people have done similar projects.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
 Am I the only one that looks at pictures like this and thinks: Future X-Wing Fighter, where's R2D2

https://i.imgur.com/0hcrrbZ.jpg

I see it.

We might have done something Star Wars at some point, except for the possibility that Disney would probably file a lawsuit, and so many people have done similar projects.

X-Wing would make an awesome project in the future though.  
Maybe B-Wing or Y-Wing if you want something less common. Or place smaller versions of those in the background.

Battlestar Viper would be super cool too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#37]

Now you are speaking the language of my people.......13th tribe.   SO SAY WE ALL!
View Quote

Reboot Mark II, please. The Mark VII is just gross.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I was thinking Snowspeeder for next year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Now you are speaking the language of my people.......13th tribe.   SO SAY WE ALL!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

X-Wing would make an awesome project in the future though.  
Maybe B-Wing or Y-Wing if you want something less common. Or place smaller versions of those in the background.

Battlestar Viper would be super cool too.

Will there be socialators?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jarhead13] [#42]
Not to derail, but what’s the status on the t shirts?

Edit; fat thumbs
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]

I think we are ready to go, I just need to talk to Striker and I would like us to see a little further progress on our plane before our "launch".  

Kids asked me the same earlier this week.
View Quote

CC in hand rarin' to go!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 11:28:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#47]
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#48]
How much of the clear plastic tubes will be sticking out the back of the plane?

What if you put a fan in the forward end of each tube to blow the fibers around inside the tubes?  The fibers would blow straight back and maybe move around a little.

Fans could turn on and off as often as you want.  Include jet engine sound too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
If I’m not mistaken, I think the napalm smoke should have more black, after all it is a jelled hydrocarbon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top