Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So... Booby trapped their front door then went through said door.
View Quote

"Hey, Captain Wang Chung, will this booby trap work against enemy submarines?"

"Yeah, and friendly ones, too."
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ride Captain Ride - Blues Image - w/lyrics
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Eta.  Got it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They died in their own trap?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe it's called "hoisted by one's own petard."
View Quote
"But I will delve one yard below their mines
When in one line two crafts directly meet.
And blow them at the moon. O, 'tis most sweet"

Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm picturing it floating into the end of a giant submerged Chinese finger trap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my mind, I'm picturing a submarine sized Chinese finger trap.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/311AXnTxoiL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
View Quote

Dammit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Chinese Elvis - Suspicious Minds
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The article says “22 officers, 7 officer cadets, 9 petty officers, 17 sailors.”
That sounds like a weird crew compliment, VERY too heavy. Can any navy guys say if this is similar in our navy?
View Quote

Russian/Soviet submarines were said to be highly automated with primarily officers as crew. I’m guessing Chinese subs are shittier copies of Russian subs so…

I think I heard that on The Sub Brief on YouTube hosted by a former US Navy submariner.

Fuck China and their People’s Liberation Army Navy
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Dwight Yoakam - Suspicious Minds (Official Video)
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Russian/Soviet submarines were said to be highly automated with primarily officers as crew. I’m guessing Chinese subs are shittier copies of Russian subs so…

I think I heard that on The Sub Brief on YouTube hosted by a former US Navy submariner.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sounds like a weird crew compliment, VERY too heavy. Can any navy guys say if this is similar in our navy?

Crew sounds like a Star Trek ship
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So they're caught in a trap.
They can't walk out?
View Quote
Because they loved China too much.

Stop having such a suspicious mind.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Russian ships and subs use officers/warrants in roles where we'd use NCOs.  For example, when I was an E-5 working in Russia, my Russian counterpart was an O-3 equivalent.  Our team was "officially" led by an E-8, but actually led by an E-6.  The Russian team leader was an O-6 (??????? 1-??? ?????).  Enlisted guys on Russian warships are 2-3 year conscripts doing deck ape work mostly; because it isn't worth the time to put them in lengthy technical schools when they'll leave in 2 years. One of the things that happened while I was serving is they stuffed a Russian enlisted in a missile tube on a sub as punishment for not carrying out some minor janitorial duty and he suffocated and died.

Strong centralized governments, including some of our own allies, generally disfavor delegating authority to the extent the U.S. does.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So they're caught in a trap.
They can't walk out?
View Quote
Because they love you too much, baby
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I am so saddened by reports of the deaths of my enemies.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Sum Ting Wong
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are we allowed to cheer for the death of our enemy here, or are they off limits?
View Quote
Depends if 'we' are in the biden crime family.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#24]
55 Chinese Sailors became Good Communists.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Well get down there and survey the shit outta it.   Learn everything ya can about it.   Grab everything you can off of it.   Less talk.   More do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why can't you see
What you're doing to me

View Quote

She love you too much long time baby
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a lot of news on this. I ran across this article today.  Has lots of interesting buzzwords. who knows. More info than I saw eleswhere.

For at least a month rumors have been circulating in social nets, claiming the deaths of the entire crew of Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy.nuclear submarine 093-417 in Yellow sea, sometime in late August. Seems like rumors are confirmed, and all but one 56 crew have died. Submarine got caught in an underwater trap aimed at US and allies submarines, made of cables and chains. 093-417 got entangled in this trap, and sent a diver to assist submarine release. When he completed the task and returned, he was met with dead silence. It is with great efforts that the Navy ships managed to surface submarine, with 55 dead crew, including Skipper and 22 officers.
According to Chinese sources, death was caused by air system’s oxygen sulfide poisoning, while submarine, astonishingly, wasn’t equipped with proper gas detectors.
Diver surfaced and was rescued, he is reportedly, in a deep depression. Beijing dnied this accident and related rumors, but recent top brass resigns, arrests and shuffles are attributed, partially, to 093-417 disaster.
. https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2023/43149/chinese-nuclear-submarine-disaster-all-one-crew-di/. ymmv.  hell of a sea story.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Submarines are the best place to be.  Until They're not.  Davey Jones' locker collects a few commies.  OL
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Only 55? Well it's a good start
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not a lot of news on this. I ran across this article today.  Has lots of interesting buzzwords. who knows. More info than I saw eleswhere.

For at least a month rumors have been circulating in social nets, claiming the deaths of the entire crew of Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy.nuclear submarine 093-417 in Yellow sea, sometime in late August. Seems like rumors are confirmed, and all but one 56 crew have died. Submarine got caught in an underwater trap aimed at US and allies submarines, made of cables and chains. 093-417 got entangled in this trap, and sent a diver to assist submarine release. When he completed the task and returned, he was met with dead silence. It is with great efforts that the Navy ships managed to surface submarine, with 55 dead crew, including Skipper and 22 officers.
According to Chinese sources, death was caused by air system’s oxygen sulfide poisoning, while submarine, astonishingly, wasn’t equipped with proper gas detectors.
Diver surfaced and was rescued, he is reportedly, in a deep depression. Beijing dnied this accident and related rumors, but recent top brass resigns, arrests and shuffles are attributed, partially, to 093-417 disaster.
. https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-news/2023/43149/chinese-nuclear-submarine-disaster-all-one-crew-di/. ymmv.  hell of a sea story.
View Quote

makes note to not buy Harbor Freight gas detectors.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a side note, I learned the other day that one of my great ancestors took himself out with a door mounted shotgun booby trap he setup.    
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fifty-five Chinese sailors are feared dead after their nuclear submarine 'got caught in a trap intended to ensnare British sub-surface vessels in the Yellow Sea'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12589593/Fifty-five-Chinese-sailors-feared-dead-nuclear-submarine-got-caught-trap-intended-ensnare-British-sub-surface-vessels-Yellow-Sea.html

Their trap

Fifty-five Chinese sailors are feared dead after their nuclear submarine apparently got caught in a trap intended to ensnare British sub-surface vessels in the Yellow Sea.

According to a secret UK report the seamen died following a catastrophic failure of the submarine's oxygen systems which poisoned the crew.

The captain of the Chinese PLA Navy submarine '093-417' is understood to be among the deceased, as are 21 other officers.
View Quote

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
why no crazy Ivan
View Quote

The Chinese call it the yin/yang maneuver.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Billions of Yankee dollars for the Chinese sub rebuilding program from the "big guy" in 3....2....1.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hm. The language used in that article does not seem to be from a native English speaker.

Eta: because author is Russian. Go go gadget super sleuthing!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

LOL  This place has become very thin skinned.
View Quote

Too many Fed…er, I mean, ‘faux Conservatives’.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think the suggestion made in the article as to the battery exhaustion is meant to imply that there may have been inadequate ventilation to run CO2 scrubbers.
View Quote

EV thread?
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They died in their own trap?
View Quote

They needed to prove it worked. It would seem it does.........................    
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Shame the boat survived.
View Quote

I doubt nukes on the ocean floor is ever a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not even close to the US, IMO. I wonder how many were political officers?
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Careful. i posted a similar response and a touchy feely pro CHICOM guy with the feelz got upset.
View Quote

Who?
Or Hu?
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats about what I suspected trap wise.

The depth profile to trap a USN SSN is easy enough in shallow water outside the PLAN boomer bases that they could set these without disrupting surface traffic.

I suspect part of the trap would include devices that can be sucked into sea intakes needed to cool the reactor that would double act as anchor points holding the sub in place.  Clogging this would scram the reactor leaving the sub on battery power and the cables and chain would hold the SSN in place until it is forced to send a SOS.  It seems an interesting trick the PLA would use to P3 one of our SSNs where they would hold for "inspection" while stealing everything they can off it.

The PLAN SSN likely had a navigation error and became entangled.  When the reactor scrambled the batteries likely had a failure from the sudden emergency loads placed upon them that resulted in off gassing that killed the crew.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In my mind, I'm picturing a submarine sized Chinese finger trap.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/311AXnTxoiL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#45]
http://www.hisutton.com/Chinese-Navy-Submarine-Incident.html

Possible Fatal Accident Aboard Chinese Navy Nuclear Submarine
Flag China Since August 22 there have been persistent rumors that a Chinese Navy (PLAN) nuclear submarine experienced a serious accident. They were first widely circulated on certain Chinese language social media. It has since been reported in Taiwanese media and there has been much wild speculation. However the rumor hasn't gone away, notably in Chinese sources.

Unfortunately I played an unintended role in this. The noise reached a level on August 22 that I tweeted about it in the hope of bringing more information to the surface. My tweet contained clear caveats. Despite this it was picked up by Taiwanese and other non-English language press and misrepresented to 'prove' that the incident occurred. It became a news story for a few days.

These rumors are still unconfirmed and should not be treated as fact. However, in case other information subsequently comes to light, it is worth recording them for reference. Where there is smoke, sometimes there is fire.
View Quote

New Version, August 28

On August 28, the China Front blog posted an article titled "All officers and soldiers of China's No. 417 (Long March 14) Type 093 attack nuclear submarine died". It references the rumors and adds " After verification by the editor, the news is very likely to be true." I am posting an abridged translation here for future reference:

Type 093 attack nuclear submarine that had an accident in the Yellow Sea had an accident when it was performing tests and training tasks. 22 nuclear submarine captain-level seed officers were among the 55 people including those died.

The submarine sent out an encrypted and automatic distress signal, and that the navies and maritime departments of all surrounding countries will have received the signal. That is to say, "they" knew the overall situation before Xi Jinping who was in South Africa.

The blog speculates that this explains the reason why Xi Jinping suddenly left the speech venue of the summit in South Africa for several hours and the Minister of Commerce and Labor, Wang Wenqing, read the speech on his behalf.

Rumors were suppressed. The spokespersons of the Navy and the Ministry of National Defense did not refute the rumors, and the military website and military newspapers remained silent.

The authorities deny or cover up, but the relatives and relatives of the officers and soldiers who died have already chilled the hearts of colleagues, friends and insiders.

The nuclear submarine did not sink, but all the people on board died.

The article questions the "hydrogen sulfide poisoning" rumors.

It lists some achievements of some of the 22 officers who died. he submarine's captain, Xue Yongpeng, is from Shaanxi. He is a full-training and assessment examiner for naval nuclear submarines, and is the highest-ranking examiner. One was awarded a Ph.D. by the School of Oceanography of the University of Washington in 2010. Another, Senior Colonel He Xianzhong was captain of 326 submarine of the 32nd Submarine Detachment of the South China Sea Fleet (PLA 92474 Unit), and commander of the Haikou Garrison District. There are also three double captains, frigates and submarines.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#46]
22 officers and 17 enlisted...  I have a feeling that's what sank this ship

All those people in charge and they ran into their OWN trap!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are we allowed to cheer for the death of our enemy here, or are they off limits?
View Quote

The fact of that question being posted, even if in jest, is a sad commentary on how much 'compliance' is expected these days.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

well, there's a current, active 4,960 page thread where the ukebros enthusiastically cheer on the death of every russian, so there's that precedent already well established.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#49]
They probably didn’t have enough metric screws to put the ill fitting parts together with that stupid little tool they give you. So it sank.
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 4
Top Top