Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I avoid coach like the plague for anything over an hour.

On domestic flights comfort + or whatever they are calling it is fine. First class isn't anything special.

We do Europe once a year with the kids. We do lie flat business class. Usually red eye there and daytime on the way back. It always feels worth it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, Delta offers a nice choice called Delta Premium.  The seats are larger, more space between passengers, more leg room, they recline farther, have a footrest, larger TV screen with real headphones and the food service is upgraded, basically what they serve to the first-class passengers.
I have tried it a few times now and really enjoy it.  It is a nice compromise if you don't want to pay the price for first.  My recent R&R trip to Greece cost me $3200 to fly over in first class and came back in Delta Premium.  To do round trip in first was significantly higher, flying back in premium, there was no noticeable difference to me.

This is the seating,

Compared to economy

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, if you dont have this card, you are missing out.  Free TSA precheck, access to multiple lounges worldwide, triple airmiles for each Delta purchase, special concierge service, etc.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Flying domestic alone - I'm cheap, just as long as I'm not stuck in a center seat next to the Lav.
Flying domestic with my wife - Comfort+ or equivenlant
Flying internationally and the company pays - Business class, no compromises.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Sure.  You want a landwhale who overspills into your seat?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea....first international trip ever without business class.  Hopefully on the way back I will be upgraded.  Going to Malidives next year, flying business class
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Domestic, eh.  I either just suck it up or pay a little for the extra legroom of economy plus or whatever your airline calls the better regular seats.

Overseas, maybe.  Depends on who's paying and on what you need to do.  If you need to hit the ground running, you land with a couple good hours of sleep.  Or you could get there a day early to give you a day to get your feet back under you, for a budget approach ( an extra day of expenses is less than the bump up to business class).
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#9]
For long haul, absolutely. Lie flat beds or even good reclining seats basically allow for a extra day on vacation or for business because you are able to sleep and walk off the flight basically rested.

For domestic personally I don't find it worth it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is the way!
My wife just paid a butt load of money for renewing our TSA pre check.
I ask her why? You really want to fly anywhere in this environment.
Damn money wasted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ll never fly coach again, IF I ever fly again. Fuck that.

This is the way!
Damn money wasted.

A buttload of money?

$140 total for both of you?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is the way!
Damn money wasted.
View Quote

If $78 x 2 for five years of Pre-check is a butt load of money to you, I don't think 1st class was ever an option.

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Free TSA precheck...

View Quote

What?!?  I have that card and didn't know that was a thing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Try flying LA to Sydney in coach and get back to me
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Domestic it usually isn't worth it unless the price is reasonable.  With status I at least get main cabin extra so slightly larger seat and more legroom.    Long haul I will only do business or AA premium economy at a minimum.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#17]
For international or transcontinental it is really worth it. When I was young it didn’t matter to me.  The older I get the less time I can spend in a standard coach seat. Right now anything over an hour and I want economy plus.  Over 3 hours and I want first class.  The difference in price between economy plus and first class domestically isn’t that much.  I retired from a major airline so I can fly for free if seats are available. Or I can buy discounted tickets if I want a confirmed seat.

Check the price on upgrades within 24 hours.  When you check in online if you get a pop up for buying upgrades, click it. I’ve bought first class upgrades Houston to Orlando for under $100 on flights with an empty first class.  Checked on the return flight and it was almost $500 because first class was almost full.  No discounts for us on the upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Since they stopped serving drinks until several minutes after take off, 1st has gotten less worth it.  Most of my segments are 4 hours or less anyway, and economy plus is fine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#20]
For long flights, I think so. I’m not shelling out the money to fly 1st on a 1-2hr flight, maybe 2hrs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Getting bumped from coach to business flying from Frankfort to Lagos was fucking fantastic.  Too bad it wasn’t from IAH to Frankfurt.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, Delta offers a nice choice called Delta Premium.  The seats are larger, more space between passengers, more leg room, they recline farther, have a footrest, larger TV screen with real headphones and the food service is upgraded, basically what they serve to the first-class passengers.
I have tried it a few times now and really enjoy it.  It is a nice compromise if you don't want to pay the price for first.  My recent R&R trip to Greece cost me $3200 to fly over in first class and came back in Delta Premium.  To do round trip in first was significantly higher, flying back in premium, there was no noticeable difference to me.

This is the seating,

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/06/9a/0b069a6ae4f54eecddec1a7eea073859.jpg

Compared to economy

https://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Delta-Basic-Economy-Seats.jpg
View Quote

we ended up in that premium seats on way to HI.  delta had jacked our flights around 5 times and i finally called and bitchd at them for so many changes.
they put us in these seats and they were very nice.  not laydown but much more room.  we didnt get any great food, but it was nice overall

i a chaep bastard...so my usual go-to for longer flights is to look for a 2-4-2 plane layout in steerage
that way you can still get a window, and only have one person next to you (wifey)  so easier to get out
leg room still sucks though
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The handful of international flights I've been on, the coach seats had tons of room and were plenty comfortable.

Smaller planes on shorter flights?   Yeah, those kinda suck... but they don't last that long, either.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
If you need leg room but don't want to pay for first class, do what you can to get an exit row seat. They won't let you sit there if you need a cane or some other mobility device though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most domestic flights aren't worth the cost IMHO. Over 2.5 hours we pop for 1st Class. Carribean we go 1st Class. Over seas is business class as even though I'm rich with a model quality wife I'm no spending that $ amount.
View Quote

Not a bad way to work it.

I generally don't spring for domestic first, but usually get upgraded anyway.  Domestic regional first isn't as good as international business anyway.  The nice thing about first is you conceivably have enough room to work.

Exit row / front row aren't terrible.  Concur on just not having enough leg room, especially with the personal item under the seat.  Aisle seats help, a little.  I'd rather ride Greyhound than domestic coach, if we're solely comparing seat and creature comforts.

I will pay (miles + whatever fee) for upgrading to biz (though I'm sad to read upthread that it now sucks too, vs 20 years ago) if going overseas.  8+ hours isn't great in biz class, but it's not the leg cramping oubliette that coach would be.

I can't imagine what one of those Emirates/Singapore Airlines/etc...suites must be like.  Must be nice.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
check what type of flight it is (which aircraft) then check leg room for the emergency exit row.

for example, seats 24 D through F on an American Airlines A321 have about five feet of leg room, and are usually only a modest upcharge. I think it was $38 extra last time I flew. No fold down tray table (because no seat in front of you), but not a problem for me.
View Quote
Look in your armrest, it's there, just hidden.
my last flight from LA to Atlanta I had that and I stuck my bag where I could kick my feet up. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any flight over 4 hours, yes it’s worth it.

Any flight less than 4 hours just pay a little extra to upgrade to the exit row & aisle seat.

I find it odd that people are interested in being the first person on the plane. If at all possible I want to be the last person on the plane.
View Quote

Overhead bin space.  It runs out.  On a POS Embraer overgrown bizjet, it runs out really fast.  Checking bags sucks.  

Get in, get settled, do work, and no standing in line waiting for some chucklehead who can't figure out the overhead bin system or can't read the seat numbers.

Domestic flying with TSA Pre isn't terrible---it beats driving 1500 miles---but it ain't great.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Have a couple of beers in the lounge before the flight and a Xanax right after they feed you and you won't care how shitty the seats are in transcontinental coach.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do you know what that costs?
View All Quotes

On a G4/5/6 or on of the big Falcons (7X/900)...somewhere north of $10k per flying hour (that was a few years ago...probably way more now)

On a Hawker, probably about half of that, but slightly less luxurious (although, it still beats flying commercial).

If I had that kind of flow, that is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Buy a mid tier seat, then upgrade immediately after. Saves hundreds of dollars.

Yes. I only fly 1st. 1st on and 1st off makes it worth it alone.
View Quote

What's the cost difference between upgrading and just buying the 1st class ticket?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We bought it for 30 million

Just saying you wont have to worry about room

View Quote

F2000/900?

Need a pilot. Flying a GIV now but I’m trainable.

ETA: Challenger from the instrument panel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#32]
you could buy a whole exit row on Spirit for like $300
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#33]
For DFW to LAX or something? Not really.

For international? Yeah.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What's the cost difference between upgrading and just buying the 1st class ticket?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a mid tier seat, then upgrade immediately after. Saves hundreds of dollars.

Yes. I only fly 1st. 1st on and 1st off makes it worth it alone.

TAP (Air Portugal) has online auctions for upgrades to executive plus which is their first class
I paid $800 each way for the upgrade. My round trip coach plus ticket cost $1200
So my cost was $2800 and if I booked the executive online in the beginning it was just over $4000
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Did you get the connectivity resolved?

It's not the room, it's the time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the connectivity resolved?

It's not the room, it's the time.

Yep,
That is all set.
Now we are going to get another TV installed at a cost of $160,000

Dumbest fucking thing I can think of because only one seat has an issue seeing the TV
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That thing also has a $550 yearly fee. It's not the best choice imo for anyone other than a hardcore road warrior living out of hotels and suitcases who is a dedicated Delta flyer who books and pays for most of their own trips.
View Quote

The $550 fee is nothing.  You also get a free companion domestic 1st class ticket voucher each year, that alone pays for the $550 fee.  Plus I spend lots of time in various lounges around the globe where they have free food and open bar so that is also saving me tons of money cause I do like my G&T's before boarding
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What?!?  I have that card and didn't know that was a thing.
View Quote

Yes, use the card to pay for TSA and you will see a credit to your account in short order.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#38]

This is the way.

I never pay for it.

I always fly it.

Pick a favorite airline and commit to a few layovers as needed to get there.

Free first class is the best first class.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

10k per hour, per person?
View Quote

Flat rate for the plane per hour.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

F2000/900?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

F2000/900?

Have a pilot lol

@AA717driver
2023 BOMBARDIER  BD-100-1A10
Fixed wing multi engine
(8 seats / 2 engines)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any flight over 4 hours, yes it's worth it.

Any flight less than 4 hours just pay a little extra to upgrade to the exit row & aisle seat.

I find it odd that people are interested in being the first person on the plane. If at all possible I want to be the last person on the plane.
View Quote

There are two guys I work with that are in line before there needs to be a line.  They will try to find a way to get in front of one another to be that 1st person on the plane.

Never understood it myself.  I sort of liked it when I had zero miles/standing with any airline and I would just wait until the line was down to 5 people or less.  You would still have to wait on the jetway or in the aisle but sometimes I would take a last minute bathroom break and then come out and walk right on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Like almost everyone else said, it depends and "worth it" is highly subjective. All US airlines suck huge balls for biz/first class, except Delta One, but that is absolutely outrageously priced for what you get.  Delta, United, their first and business are only "worth it" on longer flights, but just barely anymore.  AA is like a fourth world airline at this point- I'll never fly them (KLM or Air Canada) again.

British, Air France, Lufthansa, AE, all of the Asian airlines have awesome biz/first class on international flights. Plus, since other countries aren't communist except in words, most of them have special security for those classes of tickets, which is really nice, unlike the shithole US airports. Throw in the extra luggage + weight, drinks, lounges, food, and service and it makes flying much, much, much more enjoyable. It's worth it if you can afford it.

That said, over the past 6 months prices have really spiked. Like, almost triple what "normal" used to be, so "worth it" has changed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#43]
My flight from Tokyo to Denver is over 10 1/2 hours my return flight from Houston to Tokyo is over 13  hours.
I would be crippled sitting in a regular seat for that amount of time and I am just 5'10 170 pounds.
Business or first class are my only options for flying.
I just figure that is the cost for the trip or don't go.

ETA and that is just one leg of my 3 flight journey each way, total one way travel time including layovers is about 30 hours.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#44]
If I make more money per hour at work than per hour in business class, it’s worth it.

However, I make substantially less than $1000/hr, so it’s not worth it for me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Delta First Class doesn't even get you access to their SkyClub anymore...
View Quote
Most of the time having their credit card gives you access and earlier boarding as well as some discounts on seats.

If you like an airline (hard to anymore) and pay off the card every month it can quickly build you some status and perks.  Most airlines require you to also fly in order to get the top tier perks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm posting this from a business class seat in a flight from NY to SF.  It's the little pod with a seat that lays down flat into a bed.  

For something likes this, yeah, I think its worth it.  It's a FAR more pleasant experience when you can stretch out and lay down.  

The service is also MUCH better, and the priority boarding and not having to battle for overhead bin space is a big selling point for me.  

So for coast to coast flights or international, yeah, I think it's worth it.  For a short hop where it's just a nicer coach style seat with free drink, probably not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
check what type of flight it is (which aircraft) then check leg room for the emergency exit row.

for example, seats 24 D through F on an American Airlines A321 have about five feet of leg room, and are usually only a modest upcharge. I think it was $38 extra last time I flew. No fold down tray table (because no seat in front of you), but not a problem for me.
View Quote

shh.  don't be telling everybody about the economy first class seats

those are my go-to seats on AA on a 321NEO.  or 27D/F for those routes that they are running the 321EOW version
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]
If the trip is for business on someone else's nickel, absolutely worth it.

If the trip is being paid for out of my own pocket, not even close to worth it.  

On a transoceanic flight, I'd rather arrive at the destination with an extra $10-15K in my pocket vs. having had a wide seat.  I've done it both ways and there's no way I'd spend my own money on a few hours of sitting in one seat over another.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Sometimes in first class you get to sit next to interesting people, like this guy on my flight last week:

Attachment Attached File

Thankfully he didn’t talk my ear off
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Admittedly don't fly much anymore but my exit row seat a few weeks ago had a tray table. It's in your arm rest. Flight attendant had to show my dumb ass how to pull it out. I flew business class to mideast several times and it was Def worth my companies money! My money I suck it up with an exit row.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admittedly don't fly much anymore but my exit row seat a few weeks ago had a tray table. It's in your arm rest. Flight attendant had to show my dumb ass how to pull it out. I flew business class to mideast several times and it was Def worth my companies money! My money I suck it up with an exit row.

right, .govman was referring to that indirectly.  but be aware that a seat with an armrest tray table is narrower in the seat bottom than a regular seat.  not a problem for us 6'2", 175# models on ARFcom, but can be an issue for those on the wider side
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top