BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know where there is a black one, and a maroon one. The black one is pretty clean.
View Quote

Not anywhere near the River are they?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This was my dream car until I finally had the opportunity to sit in one.

I am 6'1 If I don't slouch. I am a cyclist and thin.

This car was too effing small. Absolutely beautiful and I would have killed myself in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdrJZRfst7Q
View Quote

Too bad we don’t get the new one in the US
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Fun and quick cars. 4 speed manual and a sideways radio lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And such pathetic brakes I believe they actually got sued over it. Weren't they about the size of a coffee cup saucer and had horrendous brake fade?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
1984 rabbit GTI..

Had one, then started autocross and time trials with local scca clubs.

Next thing I know, changing the entire suspension, exhaust head, cam, euro bumpers. Have a roll age installed, and got.more competitive.

Car was like a gokart on rails...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 2.2 Chrysler L bodies (Omni/Horizon) were zippy. I had an 81 Plymouth Horizon TC3 2.2 Turismo (that was the name) 4 speed that was not horrible, and I traded it in for an 85 2.2 turbo Charger 5 speed, which was a phenomenal piece of shit, but when it felt like running it was an absolute blast.
Cop magnet:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31782/1985-Dodge-Shelby-Charger-V3-1080-688842.jpg
Not mine. Mine crapped out in 1989, sat in the driveway until 95, when it was scrapped.
View Quote

I had an 85 GLH-T and an 87 GLHS. Both had the shittiest 5 speed, the A525. The differential would flex in the housing and crack it. The linkage was plastic ball and socket and would pop off.

The GLH-T was rear-ended and totaled. The GLHS got a newer A523 with cable linkage. Then the engine troubles started.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother had one of these. I loved that car!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]

That was the exact green color of my '73 240z (and interior). Except it had a center hood/roof/hatchback stripe and lower door stripes in gold. Same mags too. Those were excellent factory mags.

Your modded 240z is very, very nice. Did the same thing on taking off the front and rear vert bumper extensions. Put on a front airdam, and repainted it in Imron. Stripped out the emission control. Took out the pulley fan and put in electric rad fans. Put on a header and custom exhaust. Changed out the carbs for 72s. Put in a competition clutch. Few other mods can't recall immediately.

Such an excellent car. Not the level of modding you did but that car gave me immeasurable joy.

Very nice mod 240z.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1984 rabbit GTI..

Next thing I know, changing the entire suspension, exhaust head, cam, euro bumpers. Have a roll age installed, and got.more competitive.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/159169/1984_volkswagen_golf_gti_15852533278764d-2935589.JPG
View Quote
I so want one.

MY first hotrod

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#10]

The picture is captioned as a Lemons race car but it is us at a circle track.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Has everyone forgotten about the Fiero?

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Inherited a '73 Grand Am ,   400 ,  4 barrel , 4 speed . bucket seats ,   Problem was it was an ugly 4 door,   one of about 300 made that year with a stick ,   2 doors looked good .
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a 1970  Mercury Cyclone for a while in high school..it was a really good car. No problems with it at all.
Looked just like this one......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/1970-mercury-cyclone-spoiler-american-au-2773827.jpg
View Quote

My father had a Mercury Cyclone GT in Calypso Coral red..............it was a sharp car

I had one of these......wish I had never gotten rid of it

Attachment Attached File

My grandfather, a Baptist preacher, had one of these...............and he had a lead foot

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]

very hawt 70s car looks wise.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#15]
My four leaf clover!

Che bella macchina

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]
You spelled motorcycles wrong. My fun cars were '60's. The street motorcycles were '70's and '80's, with the most enjoyable ones being grey market 2 strokes. ?? This same model, only far from stock. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My friend and I cobbled together a 327 in around '79 that dynoed 525 at the wheels. Dual Carters, normally aspirated.
View Quote

Adonbilivet
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Will be driving my fun, not-forgotten toy tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You spelled motorcycles wrong. My fun cars were '60's. The street motorcycles were '70's and '80's, with the most enjoyable ones being grey market 2 strokes.  This same model, only far from stock. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66656/FB_IMG_1657319209678_jpg-2935672.JPG
View Quote
I would be dead.

I wanted one.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]

I really want one but the prices keep going up, rust issues and finding somebody to work on it prevent me from pulling the trigger.

I am a big Alfa fan and remember before they pulled out of the US market and seeing GTVs and Graduates at the Philly new car show.

Here’s mine
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
yeah but back then you didn't have the EpA ass raping tuners.

For example, that shitty 6.6 v8 that came in the F bodies make like a negative 100 HP, but change the pistons, swap the heads and cam and throw a big carb on her, shed prolly make 450hp easy
View Quote

According to car magazines from that era, the state of California was ass raping people when they found engine mods during the annual inspections for plate renewal.  Which led to articles on how to build an engine that looked completely stock (complete with emissions controls), but was bored, stroked, etc.  400 crank and rods in a 350 block was one of the more popular options, according to one of the articles.

Are back issues of Hod Rod, Car Craft, etc. sold in a downloadable pdf form?  I'd like to reread some of those articles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#23]
1970 Oldsmobile Toronado.  Rocket V8 front wheel drive.  My fathers friend had one, let me borrow it all the time.  It was beautiful and terrifying to drive.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]

I always loved the looks of those, for some reason I thought they were 1960's models instead of 1970's. There was a foreign car dealer in Auburn, AL, who always seemed to have 1-2 on the used lot in the 1980's.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That was the exact green color of my '73 240z (and interior). Except it had a center hood/roof/hatchback stripe and lower door stripes in gold. Same mags too. Those were excellent factory mags.

Your modded 240z is very, very nice. Did the same thing on taking off the front and rear vert bumper extensions. Put on a front airdam, and repainted it in Imron. Stripped out the emission control. Took out the pulley fan and put in electric rad fans. Put on a header and custom exhaust. Changed out the carbs for 72s. Put in a competition clutch. Few other mods can't recall immediately.

Such an excellent car. Not the level of modding you did but that car gave me immeasurable joy.

Very nice mod 240z.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very nice mod 240z.

I love all the Z love - but literally the least obliviated model evah. From the factory 240Z restos, to the $300k auction at BAT, to every Datsun Nissan event having a couple thrown around, most especially the new Z debut. Holy crap you can't escape them. . .not that you should want to. But seriously you can't escape it. Not one damn 260Z tho.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's another one:

1968-73 Opel GT: Looked great, painfully slow. Sold by Buick dealers alongside their Opel Manta coupe. EDIT: Tying in to the "How did they get so little HP per liter in the 1970's" thread, the 1971 GT's compression ratio was lowered from 9.0:1 to 7.6:1 (!!), costing the car more than a full second from 0-60 per R&T.

Opel GT on Wikipedia

Speaking of which: 1971-75 Opel Manta Coupe, a very good-looking car.

Opel Manta Coupe sold by Buick
View Quote
Friend had a Manta. Bought it for $250, drove it for 4 yrs. Only maintanaince was oil change and 1 water pump. Damn thing was insanely reliable though. He went out and bought a GT for $400 and only got to drive it home. Next day went to take his bil around and made it a block before the rear axle fell off, LITERALLY. Found the rear control arm mounts were rusted out and the frame was shot also. No saving it.

I had an 88 Shelby CSX with the MP Super 60 kit under the hood. Absolute monster.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You NEVER see those anymore, especially relative to how many GM sold of all the X-bodies. I sometimes wonder if the rumors that GM paid to scrap used ones to reduce their potential future liabilities over the braking system were true? The X-11 was a great performance/room/economy compromise for its day though. I'd have taken one in a heartbeat!
View Quote

@VVinci
I have a buddy that buys odd GMs. I send him sale links to what I think is weird shit and occasionally he goes and buys them

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do you happen to have a Garand and Hmong neighbors?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first car was it's cousin, a 1970 Torino GT.
Do you happen to have a Garand and Hmong neighbors?

That was a 72
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Friend had a Manta. Bought it for $250, drove it for 4 yrs. Only maintanaince was oil change and 1 water pump. Damn thing was insanely reliable though. He went out and bought a GT for $400 and only got to drive it home. Next day went to take his bil around and made it a block before the rear axle fell off, LITERALLY. Found the rear control arm mounts were rusted out and the frame was shot also. No saving it.

I had an 88 Shelby CSX with the MP Super 60 kit under the hood. Absolute monster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's another one:

1968-73 Opel GT: Looked great, painfully slow. Sold by Buick dealers alongside their Opel Manta coupe. EDIT: Tying in to the "How did they get so little HP per liter in the 1970's" thread, the 1971 GT's compression ratio was lowered from 9.0:1 to 7.6:1 (!!), costing the car more than a full second from 0-60 per R&T.

Opel GT on Wikipedia

I had a 1974 Opel Manta when I got married in '77.  Think I paid $3k for it (used, private sale).  Was in lime green.  Loved that car.  4 speed, hand cranked sunroof. . . . Totaled it when I ran into a co-worker's Fiat Spider convertible at a horrible semi-blind yield merge onto I-95 southbound in Port Chester NY. . . . Merge is still there, still terrible. . .think about that car every time I drive on it---which is alot as my son and grand-kids live in PoChes. . . .

Like this, but lime green:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#30]
My mom had a '75 Mercury Cougar XR7 with a 460 V8 with factory duals that she got in 1977. Supposedly special-ordered. It was fast, but thirsty. Had magnum 500 wheels and Firestone 500 radials. Those were the ones that had bad reputations for blowouts, and yep, my parents had a couple (separate times) while travelling the interstate. They sold it in 1982 and bought an '81 Honda Accord 4 door.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depending on which year you're talking about, the cougars were very similar to other, more popular cars.

In the early 70s, it was the mustangs.  I'm working on a couple 73 mustangs, and a lot of my parts are coming from the cougar parts cars.  

Then there was a time in the 90s when cougar and Thunderbird were the same car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mercury Cougar

Depending on which year you're talking about, the cougars were very similar to other, more popular cars.

In the early 70s, it was the mustangs.  I'm working on a couple 73 mustangs, and a lot of my parts are coming from the cougar parts cars.  

Then there was a time in the 90s when cougar and Thunderbird were the same car.

70 Cougar Eliminator, Boss 302, 4 speed top loader. I sold it for a 70 Mach 1, 428 SCJ which in turn was traded for a 69 Boss 302.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Doesn't really count as "forgotten".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Datsun 280Z
Doesn't really count as "forgotten".

The 240Z was balanced so much better then the 260, and the 280 was just a fluffy shell of the original 240 no frills raw sports car.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You spelled motorcycles wrong. My fun cars were '60's. The street motorcycles were '70's and '80's, with the most enjoyable ones being grey market 2 strokes.  This same model, only far from stock. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66656/FB_IMG_1657319209678_jpg-2935672.JPG
View Quote
This has to be posted again

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Then there are those that need to be forgotten,
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 "Here comes spider out of the night!" lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8MhRA_o2o

View Quote

I second this^^^ more specifically the V8 cars.
And honorable mention, the Cosworth Vegas.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here's another one:

Opel GT on Wikipedia

View Quote

Too bad they didn’t sell the Manta B in the states. I had one in Germany. Fun car. Kinda prone to rust though. Like all 80’s German cars.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I had one these for a couple years. 1978 Dodge Aspen R/T

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Once the big engines were legislated out and the 5-mph bumpers and other .gov crap was legislated in, most everything was crap.   Ugly crap.
Datsun 240Z and Honda Civic CVCSS possible exceptions.   That little Honda was an amazing little car.  Handled well, could haul a surprisingly large amount of stuff, great gas mileage, and could run on leaded gas when every other car had to run more expensive unleaded to get the same emissions.
The Karman Ghia was cool, but probably 60s, not 70s.
And the Chevy Vega - for the few who didn't have catastrophic engine failure and/or complete body disintegration, they were a very nice little car.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's another one:

Opel GT on Wikipedia

View Quote
Yeah, the Opel GT was a cool-looking poor man's Corvette.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, stuff like that and the Mustangs of that era were the shit I was referring to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I really want one but the prices keep going up, rust issues and finding somebody to work on it prevent me from pulling the trigger.

I am a big Alfa fan and remember before they pulled out of the US market and seeing GTVs and Graduates at the Philly new car show.

Here's mine
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164962/67183240085__969FCE8B-8374-40DA-BECE-D53-2935717.JPG
View Quote
That is a really nice looking car!
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Buick Opel by Isuzu
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I had an 88.  Great car.  89 Corolla GT-S too.  Also great.4AGE motor was excellent.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#44]

I remember when the Isuzu commercials started here in the States when Isuzu’s were becoming popular. The Japanese guy saying “That’s okay, I can’t say Chevroret” cracked me up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1984 rabbit GTI..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/159169/1984_volkswagen_golf_gti_15852533278764d-2935589.JPG
View Quote
I want a Golf GTI  so badly. I dream about my old car

Neuspeed and Techtonics?

I had a rally car
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Way too poor for a 959

I had a Lancia HF beast that I tried to import here

You have no idea how quick this car was/is

It was stupid fast
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That is a really nice looking car!
View Quote

Thanks, it’s been really trouble free and hasn’t cost me much as far as maintenance until this year. Was $180 at the dealer for annual services which included oil changes, 2 rear tires at one point which were cheaper than I expected and a bolt tightening service.

This year though cost me $2500 for a timing belt based on time rather than miles. Sucks but don’t want to risk grenading a motor
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#48]

First two cars would be great! I think that Electra (?) Coupe may have been available with the turbo V6 too. I could live without the middle two, but the X11 looks like a good one too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

According to car magazines from that era, the state of California was ass raping people when they found engine mods during the annual inspections for plate renewal.  Which led to articles on how to build an engine that looked completely stock (complete with emissions controls), but was bored, stroked, etc.  400 crank and rods in a 350 block was one of the more popular options, according to one of the articles.

Are back issues of Hod Rod, Car Craft, etc. sold in a downloadable pdf form?  I'd like to reread some of those articles.
View Quote

So one of those articles telling you what everybody already knew.

Its easy to rebuild an engine that looks stock on the outside, because the car literally came with all the right pieces to do that.  You have to go out of your way to install headers, intake, exhaust, etc.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Scirocco

Attachment Attached File

And here is one that was stylistically light years ahead of its time. 1992 Mazda 929.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top