Page / 80
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  CMMG was supposed to come out with a muzzleloader upper several years ago, I don't think it ever went into production though
Not CMMG:  http://tridentarmory.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9
CMMG had one too:

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked him better on Food Network
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
has a rifled barrel of less than sixteen inches, or an overall length of less than twenty six inches. The total length is measured in the extended position.

Is it the or instead of reading and ?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
has a rifled barrel of less than sixteen inches, or an overall length of less than twenty six inches. The total length is measured in the extended position.

View Quote
That's my opinion and has been from the start.

They're just playing semantics like Mossberg did with the Shockwave.

They have to keep it a secret and make it seem like there's more to it until SHOT because 87 other companies would roll out their own stock+11.5" barrel non-SBR "firearms" at SHOT if they found out that there really isn't more to it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Man, you sure take your Interneting seriously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's that thingy in between the selector and the rear qd cup?

Almost looks like it rides in a groove in that upper. Maybe something off of the bcg that gets tripped by your thumb? Just a smudge of dirt?
It's the Fucking takedown pin.

Jesus H Christ the derp in here is rampant.
Man, you sure take your Interneting seriously.
Can you imagine the firepower if you slapped a D60 in that mag well, grabbed your trusty ramming stick and shoved a ball down the muzzle, then started lighting things off with the inverted trigger break?! The death you could deal is beyond comprehension!

Don't take it personally, 87% of the people posting in here should post less and read more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can you imagine the firepower if you slapped a D60 in that mag well, grabbed your trusty ramming stick and shoved a ball down the muzzle, then started lighting things off with the inverted trigger break?! The death you could deal is beyond comprehension!

Don't take it personally, 87% of the people posting in here should post less and read more.
View Quote
Lol. No worries.

That smudge/shadow made me think that maybe they had a trip lever in there a la an AR-180/Sig MCX.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
You win the internet!

I might have to send that to Jay. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They have to keep it a secret and make it seem like there's more to it until SHOT because 87 other companies would roll out their own stock+11.5" barrel non-SBR "firearms" at SHOT if they found out that there really isn't more to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get it.  It says "or".  Meaning that when either condition is met, it satisfies the definition of a rifle.  That's what "or" means.  It doesn't say "and".
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't get it.  It says "or".  Meaning that when either condition is met, it satisfies the definition of a rifle.  That's what "or" means.  It doesn't say "and".
View Quote
That's the definition for an SBR, not a rifle.

And the definition for an SBS is:
"barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or is less than 26 inches in overall length”

Yet the Mossberg Shockwave has a 14 inch barrel.  This is just the rifle version of the Shockwave.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or is less than 26 inches in overall length"

Yet the Mossberg Shockwave has a 14 inch barrel.  This is just the rifle version of the Shockwave.
View Quote
The rifle version of a shockwave can't have a shoulder stock, that would make it a SBR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or is less than 26 inches in overall length"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shockwave isn't a shotgun because it can't be fired from the shoulder, which is part of the definition of a shotgun.  This has a stock, so it's not the rifle version of a shockwave.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK,  am starting to think this might be more than a troll job, fingers crossed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol. No worries.

That smudge/shadow made me think that maybe they had a trip lever in there a la an AR-180/Sig MCX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. No worries.

Ahh, I see. That's far less derpy than many.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You win the internet!

I might have to send that to Jay. LOL!!!
View Quote
Tell Jay I can design him some nice tshirts for the booth at SHOT
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's a barrel thing.  If you go non rifled you end up in SBS territory.   It's got a stock so it should be a SBR w/ a 11.5" barrel regardless of the OAL.    With the OAL >= 26 and a 11.5" barrel it would seem they're playing games w/ the 1 shot per pull of the trigger, and with it being Franklin Armory, I'm betting the people saying it's a binary trigger, or a trigger that takes a pull/release are right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think it's a barrel thing.  If you go non rifled you end up in SBS territory.   It's got a stock so it should be a SBR w/ a 11.5" barrel regardless of the OAL.    With the OAL >= 26 and a 11.5" barrel it would seem they're playing games w/ the 1 shot per pull of the trigger, and with it being Franklin Armory, I'm betting the people saying it's a binary trigger, or a trigger that takes a pull/release are right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The thing is, they're claiming "new technology".
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The shockwave isn't a shotgun because it can't be fired from the shoulder
View Quote
ATF says I can fire it from the shoulder like this. Still not an SBS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://gun.deals/sites/default/files/940b338feacaa59bb2764bc105d225df.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The shockwave isn't a shotgun because it can't be fired from the shoulder
"designed or intended" to be fired from the shoulder is what makes a rifle/shotgun or SBR/SBS, not whether it's possible or not.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
But that is a brace, not a stock.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
This FA "thing" has an actual stock.  What happens if you removed that brace and put an actual stock on it?

The Shockwave is in no way comparable to this because of that single detail.

It has to have something to do with the FCG.  Like I said a few pages back, otherwise, pinned + welded 14.5" barrels wouldn't be a thing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
that is simply the font used. nothing "special".

notice the leading edge of the capital T is in direct alignment with the trailing edge of the A like every other letter is. the font use just makes if look weird.
View Quote
Then the "Typographer" responsible for the design of the registered trademark is lazy and most likely voted for Bernie Sanders.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#23]
It has a trigger that fires on the release, like an old skeet/ trap shotgun. The rifle definition says single "pull" of the trigger, rather than single "function" of the trigger, so it's not a rifle, even with a rifled barrel.

Sorry if someone already pointed this out, but I'm not reading the entire thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But that is a brace, not a stock.
View Quote
Point is, that's a freaking 8.5" shotgun that can be fired from the shoulder, no tax stamp required, and ATF is cool with it.  Something previously thought to be unpossible.  ATF has been bowing to semantics and loopholes like crazy the past few years, so maybe whoever wrote this determination letter was just like F it, it's over 26" OAL so it's fine.

An 11.5" AR "firearm" with stock is less concealable and no more functional than a 7" AR pistol with Sig brace, and the whole reason for the law is concealability, right?
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It has a trigger that fires on the release, like an old skeet/ trap shotgun. The rifle definition says single "pull" of the trigger, rather than single "function" of the trigger, so it's not a rifle, even with a rifled barrel.

Sorry if someone already pointed this out, but I'm not reading the entire thread.
View Quote
It's ok, nobody else posting is reading the thread either.  I'm just here for the post count
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Point is, that's a freaking 8.5" shotgun that can be fired from the shoulder, no tax stamp required, and ATF is cool with it.  Something previously thought to be unpossible.  ATF has been bowing to semantics and loopholes like crazy the past few years, so maybe whoever wrote this determination letter was just like F it, it's over 26" OAL so it's fine.

An 11.5" AR "firearm" with stock is less concealable and no more functional than a 7" AR pistol with Sig brace, and the whole reason for the law is concealability, right?
View Quote
One can hope!!!!!!  I'd still rather have suppressors though!!!  Although I'm not sure they can do that since SBR crap is actual law, not just ATF opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Hence the name as he started the protestant "REFORMATION"
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still think it's a release trigger or modified binary which would be new to the AR world in any commercial quantity from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There's a little more to it than that. I live in Illinois but own property in Missouri where my range is. Wouldn't want to have to write a letter every time I went to the range. Also not everybody has a CLEO that will sign off on a SBR in their state laws even allow for it.
View Quote
That's not an issue.  There is no CLEO sign off anymore, and you can submit one form, to move the gun back and forth for the year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Last inch of barrel is smooth bore?
View Quote
A shot out barrel from factory.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]
While we're all distracted by this puzzle, the deadline for comments on the federal ruling against bumpstocks and binary triggers is looming. Go make some comments.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/12/26/2017-27898/application-of-the-definition-of-machinegun-to-bump-fire-stocks-and-other-similar-devices#open-comment
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is no odd letter break distance. The right lower side of the A matches up vertically with the left upper side of the T.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/AA33AA38-9F3B-4FFD-A7E6-F897E831CEA4-417967.JPG

the odd letter break distance between the A and the T is intentional

<a href="https://trademarks.justia.com/872/17/reformation-87217402.html">https://trademarks.justia.com/872/17/reformation-87217402.html
</a>
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/55887134-C5E2-4C5F-A8A5-4BDC08F8D1F5-417969.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/DBDD57C6-F273-47DF-A613-47BB459F78EA-417970.JPG
There is no odd letter break distance. The right lower side of the A matches up vertically with the left upper side of the T.
And they misspelled "redefining" in the last pic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/AA33AA38-9F3B-4FFD-A7E6-F897E831CEA4-417967.JPG

<a href="https://trademarks.justia.com/872/17/reformation-87217402.html">https://trademarks.justia.com/872/17/reformation-87217402.html
</a>
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/55887134-C5E2-4C5F-A8A5-4BDC08F8D1F5-417969.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3097/DBDD57C6-F273-47DF-A613-47BB459F78EA-417970.JPG
It MuST bE a cLuE!

or...

a typo
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It MuST bE a cLuE!

or...

a typo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

</a>

It MuST bE a cLuE!

or...

a typo
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"NRS technology?"   =  Not Requiring Stamp  ??
View Quote
No no.

N - Fuck
R - You
S - NFA
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I posted the text of the statute earlier. You cannot play the semantics game with a rifle. The statutory definition is as follows:

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Edit: thinking about it with my lawyer hat on, they may have used the “and” to their advantage by saying that both preconditions (barrel and pal) must be met.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I posted the text of the statute earlier. You cannot play the semantics game with a rifle. The statutory definition is as follows:

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Edit: thinking about it with my lawyer hat on, they may have used the “and” to their advantage by saying that both preconditions (barrel and pal) must be met.
View Quote
That would appear to be a hole.  “And” allows for a rifle of at least 26” OAL regardless of barrel length, according to (8). They should have used “or”.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Guys, guys ,guys. Please tell me how "new technology" is playing with semantics.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Guys, guys ,guys. Please tell me how "new technology" is playing with semantics.
View Quote
I'm sure Mossberg would tell you the Shockwave is "new technology."  And I'm sure even Remington would try to sell you on their TAC-14 "new technology."  The whole thing is "new technology" because it's neva bin dun befo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

(8) The term "short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Edit: thinking about it with my lawyer hat on, they may have used the "and" to their advantage by saying that both preconditions (barrel and pal) must be met.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(8) The term "short-barreled rifle" means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

Edit: thinking about it with my lawyer hat on, they may have used the "and" to their advantage by saying that both preconditions (barrel and pal) must be met.
The "and" is not a test of the definition but a listing of which type of firearm is defined, i.e. the term means this and this. If it meant both conditions had to be met the the "any weapon" would not be included. There cannot be a firearm that is both a rifle and a weapon made from a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm sure Mossberg would tell you the Shockwave is "new technology."  And I'm sure even Remington would try to sell you on their TAC-14 "new technology."  The whole thing is "new technology" because it's neva bin dun befo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They never claimed that, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That would appear to be a hole.  "And" allows for a rifle of at least 26" OAL regardless of barrel length, according to (8). They should have used "or".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would appear to be a hole.  "And" allows for a rifle of at least 26" OAL regardless of barrel length, according to (8). They should have used "or".
"And" in this usage means the both the firearms would meet the definition. "Or" would mean only one "or" the other but not both.
The definition is describing this and this not this or this. In the first example ANY rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16" meets the definition. In the second example any weapon made from a rifle meets the definition only if it is not shoulder fired (that would be rifle so it must have a 16" or greater barrel) and in less than 26" in overall length. This would be arguable that you can take a rifle and cut off the stock, or put a pistol grip on it and cut the barrel to less than 16" provided it remains 26" or greater in OAL it would not be a NFA firearm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"And" in this usage means the both the firearms would meet the definition. "Or" would mean only one "or" the other but not both.
The definition is describing this and this not this or this.
View Quote
Well, I’m done using what little extra processing power I have on this and will wait for the SHOT video.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#45]
The ad clearly says it is not a rifle so it's not going to be some loophole regarding the language of overall length for rifles.

I don't think that many prospective AR buyers would be that interested in a smoothbore or something that uses oddball ammunition. The only way this thing sells from a marketing perspective is if it is more or less a perfectly normal AR. Otherwise people are going to use a brace, or pay $200. Maybe it's an oddball trigger setup, but it can't be too much different from a normal trigger or again people won't buy it. My guess is it's a completely normal AR in every way, and they have simply discovered a manufacturing process loophole, kind of like importers do with 922r and AKs - maybe it starts life as one kind of firearm, then is converted to another, and through the right specific process it is simply a "firearm" and not subject to SBR rules.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope whatever they have invented, discovered, whatever, is applicable to guns I already own without coughing up another $2k or more for theirs/
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Barrel extension isn't rifled and is the "barrel" while what we think of as the barrel is actually considered a "muzzle device".

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hope whatever they have invented, discovered, whatever, is applicable to guns I already own without coughing up another $2k or more for theirs/
View Quote
Yeah I don't want to have to buy another AR to do this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#49]
They are damn sure getting a shit ton of publicity.

It better be something cool or they will never hear the end of it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's exactly what i said on 14
Page / 80
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top