[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still carry a knife.
View Quote

Don't we all?
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
We still carried them in the late 90s no one said anything.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]
As gen x ages, our value will be tested. Will we continue being awesome or will we start doing old man boomer shit like:

“BaCk in MaH dAy BoiS caRried bElt kNivEs liKe tHeir dAddY not phonEs!”
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've carried a knife or multi-tool daily for as long as I can remember, just not in school.  I am Gen x, but where I grew up schools were already banning things.  We had to have clear backpacks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I did my senior year of high school in a small town in Arizona early 2000s where we were actually permitted to carry knives at school as long as they were not locking back knives and every boy did and usually we tried to get away with lockbacks...
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve done my part to ensure every young man in my circle carries a knife.

The young women too. The church folk were a little weirded out when I gave my niece a purple Skallywag Aluminum Dagger for a confirmation gift.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s still common amongst homeschool boys.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Almost all of my friends' teen and pre-teen boys carry knives.

Hardly anyone I went to school with in the 90s did.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup, OP, myself and all of my friends carried buck knives on our belts in the 1980's.  The knives were tools for us to use, not anything that was ever used to attack or intimidate.  Times have definitely changed...
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've carried a pocket knife since I was a cub scout
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
still carry the case XX trapper I've had since the 80s
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I was given my 1st knife at age 5 and taught how to carry and use it.

Carried a Old Timer in school. Most all of us boys did. This was in the mid 80's.

Still carry a knife, feel naked without one
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As gen x ages, our value will be tested. Will we continue being awesome or will we start doing old man boomer shit like:

"BaCk in MaH dAy BoiS caRried bElt kNivEs liKe tHeir dAddY not phonEs!"
View Quote
WUt U RetARded sTOnE TiMPuhL PAhluTs WUz BUTter thEn NiRVaNuH

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We carried in Elementary school.

When "butterfly knives" became popular from all the 80's Ninja movies, then they started telling us to keep them at home.
View Quote

Same here....Grand Pappy's old Case was fine if it had a small blade, even a swiss army knife was ok.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We all carried the Schrade Old Timer version.  Back when they were still made in the USA. Still got it.
View Quote

Boomer here, carried Uncle Henry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Carrying one as a kid where I lived was hit and miss at school. Could park a pickup with a full gun rack in the parking lot but bring a knife and you might get expelled or you might not. Most everyone had some sort of blade. I almost got in trouble for my Old Timer at one of the stricter schools so I pulled out my totin' chip and they were all like, "Oh, ok. You're fine then." I'm still a little dumbstruck by the fact that that worked and by the fact that some people don't carry a gun because you're supposed to have your gubmint issued pistol totin chip.

Totin Chip crew, represent! the pic is a setup for another thread.

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Carried one every day then, still do now. Better ones today though lol.

Also had a shotgun or 22 rifle in my truck every day, I would get arrested today.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seeing this photo in the Red Dawn thread reminded me of a time when every young male carried at least a folding Buck knife on his belt, just like his dad. Born in 74’ and was commonplace in the early 80s. Now every kid carries a phone instead.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/A8AB0E01-6606-4FEA-B445-695FE56ED523_jpe-2483895.JPG
View Quote

In the Ozarks boys still carry knives to school.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]
My first knife was a Barlow folder I got when I was 7.   I got a multi blade Boy Scout knife when I turned 11.  At age 15 I purchased a Kershaw Black Colt that I had until the blade broke in half.  Kershaw replaced it free of charge.  

I have had numerous other pocket knives since, but I remember those three.  I loved that Kershaw black colt.  It was an awesome little folder.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Still have the folding Buck my uncle gave me as a kid.  Could use a sharpening and the brass polished but still a solid piece of Made in the USA.  Have a Kershaw clipped in today.

Why does every generation but X hate America?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
WUt U RetARded sTOnE TiMPuhL PAhluTs WUz BUTter thEn NiRVaNuH

View Quote

My man.

Brothers, our generation is at a cross roads.  Pop culture is appealing to our generation's nostalgia with our music in Marvel movies, The Batman, and the Super Bowl.  Netflix is putting out documentaries from our generation like "Trainwreck: Woodstock '99", like its some kind of Vietnam documentary.  And the first time I heard Pearl Jam played on the local classic rock station, I died a little.

Let us not go down the path of calling all modern music trash because we can't appreciate it, or saying that kids today are worse than us because of some petty crap in a vain attempt to ignore our own inadequacies, or spend our days telling people about our joint pains.

Instead, let us continue doing what makes us us.  Lets go home to an empty house, eat cold cereal while watching TV and not opening the door for anyone, and doing what we like while not caring about what anyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When "butterfly knives" became popular from all the 80's Ninja movies, then they started telling us to keep them at home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would say more people carry knives now than then, just not at school.

... and everyone ignored them and carried them anyways.

bsa knife in elementary school. Buck or something else middle school on up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm technically a millennial by a year or so, but I carried one in school from about 5th grade on and still do today. Crazy thing is, nobody every got stabbed at school. Then again this was southeastern missouri. 80's to around early 2000's everyone still hand shit for deer, turkey, and duck hunting in their vehicles at school too. Ahh duck hunting before school in the mornings and deer hunting in the evenings if I didn't have wrestling practice, or skip practice and get smoked next practice if you didn't get anything good
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My man.

Brothers, our generation is at a cross roads.  Pop culture is appealing to our generation's nostalgia with our music in Marvel movies, The Batman, and the Super Bowl.  Netflix is putting out documentaries from our generation like "Trainwreck: Woodstock '99", like its some kind of Vietnam documentary.  And the first time I heard Pearl Jam played on the local classic rock station, I died a little.

Let us not go down the path of calling all modern music trash because we can't appreciate it, or saying that kids today are worse than us because of some petty crap in a vain attempt to ignore our own inadequacies, or spend our days telling people about our joint pains.

Instead, let us continue doing what makes us us.  Lets go home to an empty house, eat cold cereal while watching TV and not opening the door for anyone, and doing what we like while not caring about what anyone else thinks.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#26]
If you like this thread, you'll really like the follow-up thread: LINK
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#27]
every day since I got my first knife in kindergarten
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Most of us rural kids carried a pocket knife, town kids not as much. Making popple sapling whistles in the spring when the sap made the bark slide off, whittling, cleaning squirrels and other necessary tasks. Good times. Juuust made the boomer cut by a couple of years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do we have some kind of "OK boomer" expression for aging Gen X-ers?

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

"I know you don't give a fuck, but..."
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Yep, Grandfather gave me my first Buck in 75, wore it every where.

latest is a cold steel code 4.  Slides in my pocket and clips on. Less conspicuous.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Carrying pocket knives was forbidden by 2006 but even then we had kids open carrying in high school. Most of the science teachers had Buck style knives and did not bother hiding it.  We also had marksmanship in PE until around 2002. BB guns and compound bows.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Clip on knives are my go to and have been using them for the last 25+ years.  I still have my buck 110 and swiss army knife that Dad got me when I joined boy scouts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My first job was being a grocery bagger in 10th grade. My first paycheck, from orientation, I bought a watch (a Timex like Dad ). Several of my following paychecks were spent at the hardware store next door on pocket knives. I've still got one, a Buck slip joint. I never used it much, it went to Dad who also never used it much, and I got it back when he passed. Can't find it now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Still do. Every day. I've had boomers search me out at work and at church because they needed a knife and knew I had one. In my mind I'm like, "now you see its utility; when will you start carrying one?"
View Quote

A young lady in my unit asked to borrow a knife so I handed her the Byrd Cara Cara 2 I was carrying. She brought it back, open, and said she didn't know how to close it. I was like 'aren't you a farm girl?'.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I carried one of those lock blade switchblade knives all through Highschool. It wasnt a switchblade but looked like one. All my jeans had two worn white spots on the front pocket where I had it.
Never was asked about it or searched. Early eighties.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote

No.  Snarky pejoratives don't work.  We are pretty awesome, and everyone knows it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Early millennial/late GenX. I haven’t left home without a knife since I was 6 or 7.

At this point even a G10 “tool” accompanies me into security zones.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Buck 110 on my belt all through HS.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell yes... some little folder with a few blades as a kid...young adult ran around with a small swiss army that had scissors and a toothpick and tweezers loved that thing.... now I have 3.5" folders stashed everywhere, cars, trucks, boats, bedroom, benches', hell basket in the kitchen, everywhere man.... always have one close by
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Confirmed.

GenX checking in who still always carries his knife.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

High five
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Your generation stabbed the fuck out of each other with them like a bunch of lost boys cosplayers. Caused the Karen's of your gen to basically make carrying one in or around a school a heinous crime. Hence by the time millennials were in school we hardly ever carried them and they were seen as weapons and not tools.
View Quote

What? When did this happen? I missed all that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Carried a small black handled folder to grade school every day, one my Dad gave me. Imperial brand, maybe? I thought it was great.

Old guy here.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Carried a Buck folding lockback in a belt sheath as a kid (born 1975).

Just seemed normal.

Later I got into Swiss Army Knives, and then my mall ninja butterfly and switchblade phase.

Still have a knife/multitool at almost all times...even in the classroom where the kids occasionally freak out that the teacher has a knife any time I use my Wave for some little task that arises.  Wussies.

Both my boys (21 and 19) are in the trades and carry knives daily.

When one of my students has a knife clip showing, I quietly ask them to put it someplace inconspicuous so they don't get expelled by the Karens that infest public education.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don’t remember anyone in my school ever being stabbed.
View Quote

we had one in 8th grade, more of a fuck up with an otf.
it supposively didnt close and this fat kid got stuck in the belly.
(like the only fat kid in the entire school)
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Grade school in the '50s, always had a pocket knife. Whittling, mumbley peg, cutting fruit.

Got in my share of fist fights back then, but no one thought of pulling a knife, much less going for a gun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 7:17:26 PM EDT
[#48]
we carried pocket knifes in jr high and high school  no cares were given.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I made sure my boys have always had a knife to carry when we’re together. If they don’t bring theirs or lose it, they don’t get to use mine.

They take them everywhere and haven’t lost them. I started them out with $25 sog academy type knives and because they took good care of them, I bought them some midrange auto knives for Christmas.

A couple of years ago, I bought my gf’s son a kabar for Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Aging Gen-Xer here
View Quote
"OK Beavis" Fellow Gen X'r
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top