Quoted:
Report it stolen and fuck them up
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still haven't gotten my HAC-7 rifle back from Halloway Arms Company...so don't feel bad...
View Quote
Damn, that was a long time ago!
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think a key point is, do you know both the serial numbers of the receivers involved?
View Quote

I do have both serial numbers along with the work order form. I am currently out of state  for work and won’t be returning till December. I only just found out this week that they had gone out of business, I’d been contacting their work number trying to get in contact to find out when I could pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not if he reports the gun as stolen and has it entered in NCIC.  That would constitute a felony.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not if he reports the gun as stolen and has it entered in NCIC.  That would constitute a felony.  

As would filing a false police report for fucks sake.
The OP's firearm, believe it or not, is in the lawful possession of the FFL who currently possesses it.

OP - have an attorney send the gun shop owner a letter demanding your property be returned or civil and/or criminal litigation will be pursued.  That should get his attention.  If not, pull the trigger and get your property back.

Well.........if OP follows your first nugget of derp he'll be a felon. Meaning he won't be able to take possession of the firearm is his dealer does decide to return it.

Stop giving stupid advice is the best advice I can give you.

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It’s not a false report if the owner is depriving him of his property.
View Quote

Yes it is.
I'm an FFL, meaning I can lawfully deprive you of something you own as long as I want. You aren't getting your gun until you fillout the Form 4473 and pass NICS. For gunsmithing, you pay me before I return the firearm.

Still holding to the concept it's theft?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do have both serial numbers along with the work order form. I am currently out of state  for work and won’t be returning till December. I only just found out this week that they had gone out of business, I’d been contacting their work number trying to get in contact to find out when I could pick it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a key point is, do you know both the serial numbers of the receivers involved?

They're blowing you off.  This won't improve with time.  December, they and your stuff, may be gone.  As in, it would cost you more in investigator and legal fees to recover than the property is worth.  

Contacting the ATF, and/or contacting a local-to-them consumer protection/commercial litigator, sound like good next steps.  Send a certified mail letter to business, politely asking for your property to be returned to you.  Document all of this, which it sounds like you're doing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What about if your waiting on a mg? They can just shut the doors and your out 30k?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So here’s a moral dilemma for the group. A local gun shop of mine recently went out of business. They’ve had a M1 Garand of mine that they were swapping the receiver on. They’ve definitely been taking their time on it, however last communication the swap had been completed. However the business is now out of business and seems to be refusing communication. I know we prefer not to involve the man in our lives, but at what point do I get law enforcement and or the FATF involved?
View Quote

Did you went there to pick it up?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Do a search and find his wife or girlfriend mother etc.
https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, how hard is it for these FFLs who are going out of business to contact the people whose stuff they have? Seems like they should have worked on that before closing doors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP - have an attorney send the gun shop owner a letter demanding your property be returned or civil and/or criminal litigation will be pursued.  That should get his attention.  If not, pull the trigger and get your property back.
View Quote

Lying to get something entered into NCIC when it’s actually a civil issue is probably a pretty bad idea.

OP, listen to the several cops and FFLs who are giving you advice rather than the GD “tHaT’s tHeFt!!!?!?” crowd.

It’s super shitty and you deserve your gun back, but it’s not a theft case.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nobody that’s not an idiot is taking that report.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes it is.
I'm an FFL, meaning I can lawfully deprive you of something you own as long as I want. You aren't getting your gun until you fillout the Form 4473 and pass NICS. For gunsmithing, you pay me before I return the firearm.

View Quote

Just because you are an ffl does not mean you have the legal right to deprive someone of their personal possessions. If the gun was already owned by them, they do not have to fill out another 4473 to take possession after work was done. You also can not keep possession of a firearm that someone else has paid for if you choose not to do buisness with them. You must either transfer it to another ffl or return it to the merchant that sent it to you. That firearm does not belong to you..

You can also not keep a firearm if you are a gunsmith until it is abandoned and you have followed the law and actually sent out stratified letters in trying to reclaim the money for the service you provided. There is also a certain time limit that must pass before it is considered abandoned before such actions can be taken.

Op is clearly not in any of these categories.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just because you are an ffl does not mean you have the legal right to deprive someone of their personal possessions. If the gun was already owned by them, they do not have to fill out another 4473 to take possession after work was done. You also can not keep possession of a firearm that someone else has paid for if you choose not to do buisness with them. You must either transfer it to another ffl or return it to the merchant that sent it to you. That firearm does not belong to you..

You can also not keep a firearm if you are a gunsmith until it is abandoned and you have followed the law and actually sent out stratified letters in trying to reclaim the money for the service you provided. There is also a certain time limit that must pass before it is considered abandoned before such actions can be taken.

View Quote

This does not apply in this situation.  If the gunsmith replaced the receiver, it is now a different firearm serial number.  In order for the customer to receive the firearm back from the gunsmith, he will need to complete a Form 4473 and pass the background check as if he were purchasing a brand new firearm from any gun shop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes it is.

View Quote

You made a deal to do work for me and give be back my shit.

I'm old, hurt a lot and give zero fucks.

I'll COC your fucking everything if you think you are going to fuck me.

Still holding onto the concept I'm going to be the bigger loser here?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes it is.

View Quote

I feel sorry for your customers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lying to get something entered into NCIC when it’s actually a civil issue is probably a pretty bad idea.

OP, listen to the several cops and FFLs who are giving you advice rather than the GD “tHaT’s tHeFt!!!?!?” crowd.

It’s super shitty and you deserve your gun back, but it’s not a theft case.
View Quote

Theft by Conversion, its what Hertz hits you with when you don't return the vehicle they willingly handed to you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This does not apply in this situation.  If the gunsmith replaced the receiver, it is now a different firearm serial number.  In order for the customer to receive the firearm back, he will need to complete a Form 4473 and pass the background check as if he were purchasing a brand new firearm from any gun shop.
View Quote

Not if the receiver was supplied by the op. But let's say it wasn't then yes op has to fill out a new 4473. Even if the shop paid for the receiver, the only part of it that belongs to the shop is the receiver. They can not confiscate the rest of the parts because they want to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What about if you’re waiting on a mg? They can just shut the doors and your out 30k?
View Quote

I’ve heard a few times over the years (including once on page 1 of this thread) that when an MG is involved, a call to the ATF will get that sorted out satisfactorily with a quickness.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
You may get it back eventually.

Local LGS closed up yrs back and ran off with everyone's consignment guns. Since in these cases like Gunsmiths you are technically turning over ownership so it is a civil matter to get your gun back not law enforcement/ ATF.

Calling local Sheriff or local ATF office may put some pressure on FFL / Smith to return it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What about if your waiting on a mg? They can just shut the doors and your out 30k?
View Quote
That's kinda what I was wondering. Anything he has sitting on his workbench when he closes his doors just becomes his and there's no recourse for the actual owner aside from small claims court?

Sounds like a good racket if he has a enough $$ worth of other people's stuff on hand when he closes shop.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I supplied the complete rifle and the replacement receiver. The original rifle had a receiver that had been re-welded together sometime in the past. Research on such receivers indicated it’s either completely safe or will blow up and wipe out a small village. I figured it would be safer to get a complete receiver and swap them out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So here’s a moral dilemma for the group. A local gun shop of mine recently went out of business. They’ve had a M1 Garand of mine that they were swapping the receiver on. They’ve definitely been taking their time on it, however last communication the swap had been completed. However the business is now out of business and seems to be refusing communication. I know we prefer not to involve the man in our lives, but at what point do I get law enforcement and or the FATF involved?
View Quote

SEAL Team 8, weapon recovery squad, is what you seek. They’ll go in there and kick ass as needed and bring your M1 home.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This does not apply in this situation.  If the gunsmith replaced the receiver, it is now a different firearm serial number.  In order for the customer to receive the firearm back from the gunsmith, he will need to complete a Form 4473 and pass the background check as if he were purchasing a brand new firearm from any gun shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had plenty of firearms replaced under warranty by manufacturers that shipped directly to my door. No new 4473, no FFL and no NICS.

Signed for it via FedEx Express and opened the box with my new serial number pistol/rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I supplied the complete rifle and the replacement receiver. The original rifle had a receiver that had been re-welded together sometime in the past. Research on such receivers indicated it’s either completely safe or will blow up and wipe out a small village. I figured it would be safer to get a complete receiver and swap them out.
View Quote

As I suspected and this is why a 4473 is not needed. This is why op would owe nothing but what the shop quoted for the work done and they can not confiscate the property.

So to the ffl that thinks he could deprive the owner of their property, they are duly mistaken and can be charged with theft by conversion..
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If the gun store ghosts you and keeps your firearm,  the only recourse you have is via civil suit. However, if the business is an LLC you really don't even have that.
View Quote

If you know the llc’s principal, you could sue the private person for unjust enrichment due to keeping your property after dissolution of the llc.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
That is a concern of mine regarding the purchase of a suppressor at a local gun shop, and then waiting so long for my stamp.

What if the shop closes before my stamp arrives?

Maybe I'm over worrying it, but shit happens---huh, OP?
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Consult a lawyer, OP. Please stop relying on GD's amateur ambulance chasers to help you solve a legal problem.

Outside of "consult a lawyer," the only good advice I've heard in this thread is "knock on the shop owner's door and ask for your M1 back" and maybe "call the ATF."
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The amount of derp in this thread is incredible.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Theft by Conversion, its what Hertz hits you with when you don't return the vehicle they willingly handed to you.
View Quote

Statutes vary quite a bit by state. But no one is putting OPs gun into NCIC and prosecuting it.

But please, tell me more about something I’ve actually done for a living. I’m sure you’ve investigated and prosecuted a ton of theft cases.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Before you do anything brash.....

Simpsons clip Police Cant Help You
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You made a deal to do work for me and give be back my shit.

I'm old, hurt a lot and give zero fucks.

I'll COC your fucking everything if you think you are going to fuck me.

Still holding onto the concept I'm going to be the bigger loser here?
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Lol, get your husband to go to the owner's house.
View Quote

20 years here and you're saying that lame shit?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Maybe they went out of business because customers failed to pick up and pay for their work in a timely manner?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#35]
A lot of retardation in this thread about "theft" vs "conversion." Who gives a fuck what the difference is, from a moral standpoint the OP's gun is as good as stolen. It's semantics.

Theft can be both a criminal and civil issue. Conversion can be both a criminal and civil issue.

Stop being autistic.

Acktchually.jpeg
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#36]
You need to find out why the business went away. Maybe it was just one guy that ran it and he died?

You might as well post up the shop and maybe a local arfcommer can see or find out more for you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Literally, no it hasn't.
"Stolen" means theft, which is a criminal act. OP handed the business the firearm.

What occurred is likely conversion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gun has been literally stolen. How is only a civil matter?

Literally, no it hasn't.
"Stolen" means theft, which is a criminal act. OP handed the business the firearm.

What occurred is likely conversion.

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 years here and it still makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was your advice numnuts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#41]
In Minecraft, you could borrow the former business owners wheels/tires and leave a nice note on where they can be exchanged for your stolen rifle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Ask
Tell
Make
HAM
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes it is.

View Quote

Yes.

That's morally theft.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

Not giving him an opportunity to pay for services or transferring their firearm back is theft.    

1) call attorney
2) call ATF
3) police report, with detailed timeline of events and situation
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#46]
If you don't end up getting your rifle back, I'd want a police report stating something that it was lost/stolen/whatever by the shop in case it ends up at a crime scene and is traced back to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know that saying about assumptions… the clowns in this place.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

You don't know many rednecks do you? That logic would not fly with them. Reads like bullshit to most of us. Glad I'll never be in need of your "services." Are you holding that concept?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#49]

And shoot his dog on your way up the sidewalk just to give him a proper ATF “Howdy neighbor!”
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You don't know many rednecks do you? That logic would not fly with them. Reads like bullshit to most of us. Glad I'll never be in need of your "services." Are you holding that concept?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is.

<-- FFL

My ATF IOI told me exactly the same thing that DogtownTom is telling you now when we had our initial interview during the licensing process, because that's how federal firearms laws work.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top