Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish

my Dad passed away in June of 2018 - he was 69
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad was killed by a drunk driver in 1976!  Even though it has been many years, I miss being able to talk/visit with him at all!!!!  Those that still have fathers that are still alive, cherish all of the time that you get to spend with him!  I would hope that mine would have approved how I turned out and would have been able to enjoy his grand and great grand kids!!!
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I see my old man maybe twice a week. We were never really super super close growing up. He was working a lot and came home tired often.

Today he drove an hour and a half with me to Cape Cod to help pickup my new used truck. I should really be excited for the truck, but what was even better was able to spend three hours round trip with him shooting the shit, talking politics, him telling me everywhere he went in Cape Cod as a kid and just some overall good stories from him.

Im 32 and he's 71. I wish I spent more time with him in my 20s instead of going out with my friends and such.
View Quote
I can't,  he passed away from cancer when I was fifteen, he was only 52.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy one's father while you can.

Dad and I were never particularly close while I was growing up. However, in later years he became my best friend, companion, and buddy as I cared for him as his health declined.

I consider myself very fortunate to have had him in my life for nearly 49 years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
There are many different kinds of dad, experiences vary greatly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I just texted my Dad and brother to see if they wanted to go Salmon fishing in the UP of Michigan this fall.
My Dad replied "I'll think about it".

I replied later "Nevermind".

It is what it is....................
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey "Dad", fuck you.  That Bout covers it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Lost my 84 year old Mom 3 years ago to pancreatic cancer. That was tough.

I miss her Skype calls. Nobody will ever care about you more than Mom.

I was lucky to have her for my 61 years at the time.

Dad calls every few weeks, he’s 90. He lives half a world away, so it’s hard to get to him.

We celebrated his 90th BD last year with him.

I’m going to visit with my son soon.

I post pics of his latest great-granddaughter so he can see how his family has grown.

I can’t believe we’re all this old, my sons are going to be 30 and 33 this year.

But Dad tried his best and did a lot with us, from shooting, fishing, boating, travel, the beach... so much.

I’ve been blessed, really.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just texted my Dad and brother to see if they wanted to go Salmon fishing in the UP of Michigan this fall.
My Dad replied "I'll think about it".

I replied later "Nevermind".

It is what it is....................
View Quote
Salmon make it to the UP?  I never knew that.

How do they get past the Niagara Falls?
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Mom died a month ago, dad has been just lost.  Married for 54 years.

I go over there for dinner on Wednesday nights and every Saturday morning we go out for breakfast.

I'm not going to stop that till he's gone.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
My dad passed away this past January. I can’t tell you how much I miss him.

We worked together for 20 years and saw each other almost every day.  The last few years I took care of him because of he was developing dementia.  I can’t even eat lunch anymore at our farm....just staring at the empty chair where he would sit is just too painful.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with OP.  My dad killed himself when I was 15.  I cherish the memories of the good times I had with my old man.  You only get one dad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are fucking up, hugely. You'll realize that when he's dead.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad hung up on me in 2006. No contact since.
You are fucking up, hugely. You'll realize that when he's dead.
He was in an out of my life since I was 3 (when my parents divorced). He would routinely leave if he was frustrated with me, even though I was young when he would visit. I often struggle with whether or not I should initiate contact, even though I attempted numerous times after he ended contact with me. He has made zero effort in the past 13 years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Dad died 6 months ago

not spending enough time with him is not a regret I will have thankfully.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Agreed. I lost my dad a little over a year ago. His last couple of years was painful and difficult with health reasons, at the time his passing was a relief. I miss him but I remember the good times.

Those that still have your dad, relish it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#16]
My dad was awesome, but he passed when I was 20. I'll give it hell being a great dad for my daughter.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#17]
My Dad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree. I finally got to the point that i walked away from my job to change careers to be able to spend more time with my parents.

Unfortunately dad is beginning to suffer from the early stages of dementia.  I feel like I'm too late but I'm gonna spend as much time as I can with him while he still has his memory.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:39:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Salmon make it to the UP?  I never knew that.

How do they get past the Niagara Falls?
View Quote
They jump. Duh.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#20]
so, here's my story, I'll share it because I'm on my 3rd whiskey/rocks.

My parents divorced when I was 9 years old, my (4 year) older brother went with my dad, I went with my mother.

My dad was a self centered cunt who hated all of us and we hated him right back, he was a womanizer who was married at least five times. He came to my boot camp graduation when I was 19, I went about ten years after that without seeing or speaking to him. One day I decided I'd make an effort to repair our relationship and started going to see him even though he lived 2 hours away, my brother would have no part of it.

Turns out, he had matured a lot and wasn't a bad guy overall, we fished and hunted and spent time together for about about another ten years, he got to meet my wife and kids and spoil them like grandparents do, I'd say we were best friends really.

He was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in June of 2009 and died at his home on December 18th, 2009 at 12:15am. I was kneeling by his bed holding his hand when he took his last breath.

The last words he said to me, while I was sitting my his death bed, were "I love you too son".

So yeah, if you can, spend time with your parents, life is fleeting and there's no second chances.

eta:

I forgot to mention, his ex wife (not my mother) refused to bury his remains, he was cremated and she kept the urn in her house and disowned us all. She recently died unexpectedly and I was able to recover said remains. Being a veteran, he is now interned at the US National Cemetery in Chattanooga, Tennessee which I must says is one of the things I've accomplished in my life I'm most happy with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Cats In The Cradle-Harry Chapin
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I brought my dad with me racing this weekend at Laguna Seca SCCA Hoosier Super Tour. I'm wearing him out but he seems to be having a great time. I'm so glad he came with me for the 5 days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I spent yesterday evening with him.  He's in his late 70s, but he's in great health for his age.  I hope he stays around as long as he wants to.

We've always been pretty close, but a lot more so lately.  We both lost our wives within two years of each other.  His to dementia and finally an aneurism, and mine to cancer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I'd reached out to my dad before he an heroed with the multiagency SWAT team.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Dad didn't get to see me become a dad (step dad). Spent a couple hours with him the night before he died. Wish he could be here now but every one dies sooner or later.

Often wonder what he would think about the current state of the country.

Had to fight a bit of a personal direction delima after he passed. Strange how when the man who directed your life's path is gone you struggle with wondering why do we do the things we do.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sending my dad a text telling him I love him now.
View Quote
My my dad still has a flip phone.  
It's a miracle he finally got a cell phone, so I'll take it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#28]
My dad lives a few states away.
I miss him but we have several trips planned over the next couple years. I can't wait to spend time with him.
I also miss my grandpas. One passed away a few years ago. The other is still alive and having a great time.

Myself, my dad, and his dad, skiing in Colorado a couple years ago. Grandpa is 86 in this picture.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Taking the kids and driving the couple hrs south to see him in the morning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#30]
As much as I can. We go backpacking together a few times a year even.

I'm 42, he just turned 70.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Lot of sad in this thread.  I needed a laugh.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#32]
My dad's been in the ground for 7 years, right where he belongs.

I'm kinda envious of people who have good fathers. Mine being a shitbag taught me all kinds of lessons on how to do it the right way.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#33]
A regret I’ll take to the grave is not spending more time with my dad when he was healthy.

Once the Parkinson’s really dug in, it was too late to do anything.

Young Arfcommers, go plan a hunting or fishing trip with your fathers, post haste.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#34]
I miss my Dad a lot.
My Mom and Dad divorced when I was 3, I am now 54.
He lived 400 miles away, chasing a career, so I only got to see him once or twice a year.
But in that time he taught me everything I know and love about bass fishing and boats. Maybe a little about hunting, I learned most of that on my own.
I taught him about fine collectible rifles and pistols.
He died of bile duct cancer just 3 weeks after being diagnosed with it. That was Oct 2017.
I still talk to him when I go fishing, sometimes feels like he is in the boat with me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I intend to. We’re going shooting tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Everyday i see him.
Keep an eye on him and make sure he has food to eat.
Has a heart condition since 2 yrs ago.

Also do all outdoor activities with him and my family.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope, never. The old man was old school. The adults had their own friends and activities. Hanging out with the kids was unheard of, even when the kids were adults. We buried him 15 years ago. No animosity towards him, but I don't miss him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#38]
My father passed away in 2006 but he’d be about your dad’s age (72).

We spent a lot of time on Cape Cod growing up, and that’s where his parents always took him on vacation when he was a kid. My grandparents moved to Marstons Mills (near Falmouth) when my grandfather retired. We spent a lot of time camping and skiing up in NH, too. Cape Cod kinda sucks now. It’s way overcrowded and traffic sucks. It’s been like that since at least the 80’s. I always preferred to go up to the White Mountains which is why I moved to NH after I got married (we’re from Boston).

The only part of the Cape I really enjoy is catching Whale Watches out of P-Town. You spend a lot more time with the whales and less time traveling out to see them than catching the boats in Boston or Plymouth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Too late. Mine passed away last year. I regret not having spent more time with him.

Quoted:
I second this.

My father passed in 2006, but I cherish all the time I got to spend with him.

ETA: Isn't 'funny' how every son or daughter at one age decides Dad is fucked and doesn't know what's really going on,
then at a later age realizes he actually knew more than you guessed, except you were to stubborn to listen?
View Quote
This.

I understand him more every day that goes by, but it's too late to tell him about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wish

my Dad passed away in June of 2018 - he was 69
View Quote
Mine too. He was 61.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My dad lives 15 minutes away. I see him maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I'd wager he couldn't remember my birthday, nor do I know his.

He's a paranoid baby boomer.  My whole life growing up he was worried about the government taking over and the NWO.  Then he discovered the internet and his big idea last year, that he was pretty sure he came up with,  was to go to the US/Mexico border and blog about it.  Then he was worried about antifa and ms13 working together.  Now he's currently concerned about Muslims implementing Sharia law nation wide.

Last Wednesday we did meet up for dinner.  We (my brother and I) assumed it was because he wanted money for something.  Bingo.  Wanted to see if we could help pay the taxes on the land he bought 20 years ago...then told us about the new upper he just built

ETA: The church still gets their money though. I told him to sell the land.  I'm over it.
View Quote
Would subscribe to newsletter.

Would not pay for property taxes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Yup I agree. I spent 4 days with him last week. I’m 42, and he taught me his tips and tricks to reloading. We spent 3 of those days reloading and shooting. It was great!
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:15:59 AM EDT
[#43]
My father was a distant stubborn difficult standoffish man , who I think was somewhat disappointed in me due to my poor health

Until the last year of his life and I had to take care of him pretty much 24/7

It was terrible burden but he told me many things had never heard from him before , it was a mixed blessing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He thinks arfcom is dumb and a waste of time but will get all wound up over some 3 year old article from some garbage right wing news site.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad lives 15 minutes away. I see him maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I'd wager he couldn't remember my birthday, nor do I know his.

He's a paranoid baby boomer.  My whole life growing up he was worried about the government taking over and the NWO.  Then he discovered the internet and his big idea last year, that he was pretty sure he came up with,  was to go to the US/Mexico border and blog about it.  Then he was worried about antifa and ms13 working together.  Now he's currently concerned about Muslims implementing Sharia law nation wide.

Last Wednesday we did meet up for dinner.  We (my brother and I) assumed it was because he wanted money for something.  Bingo.  Wanted to see if we could help pay the taxes on the land he bought 20 years ago...then told us about the new upper he just built

ETA: The church still gets their money though. I told him to sell the land.  I'm over it.
What's his screen name?
He thinks arfcom is dumb and a waste of time but will get all wound up over some 3 year old article from some garbage right wing news site.  
He kind of sounds like a character. At any rate sounds better than an Obama sycophant.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#45]
No thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I would, but seein as he died in 2010..

makes it kinda hard..
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Dad was a CMSgt. In the USAF.  He was in charge of a lot of young guys and his management style was to keep his troops pissed off at him all the time so they didn’t think about home when away.

He had a hard time separating work from home.  Dad was not a dad to us, rather the typical Great Santini.  It took him about 2 years to “detox” that attitude he lived most of his adult life.   It was like one day we started asking “Who the hell is this guy in our home??”  By that time, it was too late. Brother was off to college, I was finishing up high school when he came around.  We still had visions of this asshole in our head we couldn’t shake for many years.

I think this is the main reason I was turned off to joining the Military.  I put up with it for 15+ years of my life.  Didn’t want it to last any longer than it had to.  By the time we got to know our real Dad, I was an adult, got married and moved away.   It’s a real shame I didn't know this guy growing up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I lost my Dad in 2015. I would drive him cross country and back just to have the time with him.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I am lucky that my office is about 5 minutes from his house. So I go there for lunch most days of the week. Also we live maybe 15 minutes away so we take the kids there for dinner once a week. Tonight is pizza night.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top