Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#1]
FYI, looks like a good deal on a Yamaha 2kw in my area, $395

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/d/the-yamaha-ef2000is-inverter/6674350935.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
For those of you that have the Quipall 2200I generators, are you noticing an oscillation/shake present that's above the normal vibration in these generators?  I'm noticing that in mine as shown in the video below. Just curious if that's normal or not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Engineer:
For those of you that have the Quipall 2200I generators, are you noticing an oscillation/shake present that's above the normal vibration in these generators?  I'm noticing that in mine as shown in the video below. Just curious if that's normal or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Kdwt54vMU
View Quote
Kinda sounds like it's missing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
Mine purrs just like my Hondas.

I had it hooked to a toaster oven, and it up throttled smoothly every time the oven cycled on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote
Mine does that but I was going to wait until after break-in and change the plug to worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
HF guy tells me that new upgrade models are coming. The larger of the two is due in 2 weeks and the 2000 upgrade in about 6 weeks.
View Quote
@M4-AK

Any further information on this? Features to be updated? Price change?

I was looking to get one of the larger ones but don't want to bother if improvements are imminent.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Waiting on another Ebay sale......
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
So I have 89 hours on my 3500 now,  and I've noticed two things,  one when I start it a slight puff of smoke comes out exhaust and two it has this small tinging sound,  almost like a little bell ringing,  anyone have that or hear about either?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
So I have 89 hours on my 3500 now,  and I've noticed two things,  one when I start it a slight puff of smoke comes out exhaust and two it has this small tinging sound,  almost like a little bell ringing,  anyone have that or hear about either?

Thanks
View Quote
I have like 5 hours on mine and it has always had a puff of smoke, same with the 2200 Predator I had before that.  I figured it was par for the course on HF Generators.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Thanks
View Quote
I wouldn't worry about it.
It's normal for engines to puff a little smoke on startup, it's just a little oil in the cylinders....

Harvard T6 Texan Start Up with Double X Aviation
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#12]
With Florence possibly causing an issue here later this week, I picked up a Predator 3500 today. This is my first generator. I'm planning to run it under the deck at the rear of our home. The deck is about 5 feet off the ground, and reached 12' from the house. I was going to place the genny on the gravel beneath the deck and attach a tarp to the underside of the deck to keep water from dripping on it. I was also going to use an edge of the same tarp to close off one side of the deck to prevent wind from blowing rain onto it. Does this sound good?

Also, I'm going to be running cords into the house through a window and distributing them from there. I have a fridge, chest freezer and am hoping to run a few lights and chargers too. I have a ton of extension cords, but I read somewhere that I should run special cords from the genny into the home, that split off with outlets to run extension cords from there. Any suggestions on what cords to get?

Any other advice is appreciated as well. Great thread!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:58:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#13]
Originally Posted By CyberSEAL:
With Florence possibly causing an issue here later this week, I picked up a Predator 3500 today. This is my first generator. I'm planning to run it under the deck at the rear of our home. The deck is about 5 feet off the ground, and reached 12' from the house. I was going to place the genny on the gravel beneath the deck and attach a tarp to the underside of the deck to keep water from dripping on it. I was also going to use an edge of the same tarp to close off one side of the deck to prevent wind from blowing rain onto it. Does this sound good?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I'd go real easy on covering the deck over it - You don't want to trap CO under it, where it could seep over towards your house.

Just a small tarp, to keep the heavy rain off your generator. A few drips on it won't hurt a thing.

Also, if you put the tarp on the top side of the deck instead - maybe secured with cinder blocks or sand bags - you wouldn't have to worry about it becoming too full of water to support itself - since being supported by a flat surface makes it self-draining.

Also, I'm going to be running cords into the house through a window and distributing them from there. I have a fridge, chest freezer and am hoping to run a few lights and chargers too. I have a ton of extension cords, but I read somewhere that I should run special cords from the genny into the home, that split off with outlets to run extension cords from there. Any suggestions on what cords to get?
Any heavy-gauge extension cord should work fine (i.e., 12 or 10 gauge). Use AC outlet strips to branch off to other extension cords inside the house.

ETA: Make sure you have functional CO detectors inside your house - Ideally, the battery-powered kind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Any other advice is appreciated as well. Great thread!
View Quote
Extension cords should be fine, but I picked up one of these Champion extension cords to run from my Predator into the house.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump

With Florence on the way, I might need one of these.  While  I'd love a Honda, one of these might have to do for now.

Are these Predator 2000w versions any decent?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
Bump

With Florence on the way, I might need one of these.  While  I'd love a Honda, one of these might have to do for now.

Are these Predator 2000w versions any decent?
View Quote
I'd suggest reading through this thread.
Most seem to have good things to say about the Predator Inverter generators.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm looking for a little help here since you guys know way more about generators than I do. I currently have a 4000 watt generator. Can't think of the name right now. Runs fine. Starts fine. I was in my local harbor freight yesterday and the manager there, who is a customer of mine, showed me a 6500 watt generator. It was a display model. It is this one....

Floor Model Generator

It's marked down 20% to $391.99. I haven't read the entire thread so I'm looking for your expert opinions on this model. It would be stored inside my garage. Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
For those of you buying for Florence, call first. My wife was just in HF and said the inverter gens were basically cleaned out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
I'm looking for a little help here since you guys know way more about generators than I do. I currently have a 4000 watt generator. Can't think of the name right now. Runs fine. Starts fine. I was in my local harbor freight yesterday and the manager there, who is a customer of mine, showed me a 6500 watt generator. It was a display model. It is this one....

Floor Model Generator

It's marked down 20% to $391.99. I haven't read the entire thread so I'm looking for your expert opinions on this model. It would be stored inside my garage. Any help would be great.
View Quote
FWIW, that's a regular generator, not an inverter. That means it's going to be more noisy to start.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
FWIW, that's a regular generator, not an inverter. That means it's going to be more noisy to start.
View All Quotes
Floor Model Generator
More noise and much higher fuel consumption. But more watts and 240V if you have big loads you need to run.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crash1433] [#21]

View Quote

Originally Posted By Gamma762:

More noise and much higher fuel consumption. But more watts and 240V if you have big loads you need to run.
View Quote
Aware of the noise. When running, it will be outside the house. Not worried about the inverter. It will be fed in through the panel box for my house.

This would run my whole house effectively. The 4000 I have now does it ok but it is a little bit older generator and having the extra watts would be good I feel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#22]

Floor Model Generator

View Quote
I have their 7000W model.  I've had it for 3 years, it has maybe 30 hours on it.
It has gotten excellent reviews and a "Best Buy" designation from Consumer Reports for at least a couple of years.

I haven't had any problems with it.  It starts right up, does what it is supposed to.
I changed out the sparkplug to an Champion model on recommendation here.

So I think this entire line is "OK".

if you ran it every day at a job site for hundreds of hours, there might be a different experience.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I called all the Harbor Freight stores in a 100-mile radius and they're all sold out.  Lowes and Home Despot, too unless you want a 6,750-watt noisemaker.

Ended up going to a local Honda power equipment dealer with the intent to suck it up and get an EU2200i...they said they were in stock but it turns out they only had the EB2200i in stock.

They did have the "Echo BearCat IG2000" generator for $850 so I grabbed that.  Panic buy but...eh whatever.  Looks decent.  This place is an Echo dealer and service center and it comes with a 5-year warranty.

Here's to hoping we don't need it.

Really wanted a Honda or a Harbor Freight 3500w model, but ....eh....what'cha gonna do?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:25:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer] [#24]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
I called all the Harbor Freight stores in a 100-mile radius and they're all sold out.  Lowes and Home Despot, too unless you want a 6,750-watt noisemaker.

Ended up going to a local Honda power equipment dealer with the intent to suck it up and get an EU2200i...they said they were in stock but it turns out they only had the EB2200i in stock.
View Quote

I'd would have taken the EB2200i. You get 1800/2200W vs 1600/2000 of the Echo and all you give up between the EB and the EU is the DC output port and the ability to parallel two of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Skibane:

I'd go real easy on covering the deck over it - You don't want to trap CO under it, where it could seep over towards your house.

Just a small tarp, to keep the heavy rain off your generator. A few drips on it won't hurt a thing.

Also, if you put the tarp on the top side of the deck instead - maybe secured with cinder blocks or sand bags - you wouldn't have to worry about it becoming too full of water to support itself - since being supported by a flat surface makes it self-draining.

Any heavy-gauge extension cord should work fine (i.e., 12 or 10 gauge). Use AC outlet strips to branch off to other extension cords inside the house.

ETA: Make sure you have functional CO detectors inside your house - Ideally, the battery-powered kind.
View Quote
I thought about the CO. The area beneath the deck is very well ventilated and the genny will be about 12 feet from the house. I have several CO detectors...will definitely put fresh batteries in them. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
For those of you buying for Florence, call first. My wife was just in HF and said the inverter gens were basically cleaned out.
View Quote
I bought a 3500 yesterday. They had 8 at the time; lady said she expected they'd be gone by today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone think I need to use a grounding rod with my Predator 3500? Seeing mixed opinions on this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#28]

I'd would have taken the EB2200i. You get 1800/2200W vs 1600/2000 of the Echo and all you give up between the EB and the EU is the DC output port and the ability to parallel two of them.
View Quote
Yeah I was considering that.  Probably should have done it, but eh...no returns.  I do want the ability to run 2 generators in parallel (in the future) since I'm on a well.  Fairly shallow, so a single 3,500w or dual-2000w should be able to handle it.

Eh if I don't like it I'll sell it later and get something else.  As long as it works during this hurricane season.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone think I need to use a grounding rod with my Predator 3500? Seeing mixed opinions on this.
View Quote
Depends on how you are connecting it.

If you are connecting to your house such that the ground connection is connected to the existing house ground, then it's not necessary and potentially even detrimental.

If you're running extension cords directly to loads, then it would be best to have a ground rod.

Also there was note some time ago that many of these inverter generators do not bond the neutral and ground together. Some loads may complain about that situation. If you're not connected to the house and just using extension cords, some bond the neutral and ground at the generator to alleviate any issues.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]

If you are connecting to your house such that the ground connection is connected to the existing house ground, then it's not necessary and potentially even detrimental.

If you're running extension cords directly to loads, then it would be best to have a ground rod.

Also there was note some time ago that many of these inverter generators do not bond the neutral and ground together. Some loads may complain about that situation. If you're not connected to the house and just using extension cords, some bond the neutral and ground at the generator to alleviate any issues.
View Quote
Thanks. I'm running cords. Can I get a suitable copper rod at Lowes?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
If connected to a house circuit breaker panel via an interlock or transfer switch, no.
It's grounded through the panel ground rod via the ground lug of the generator cord.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunLvrPHD] [#32]
Ebay has a 20 percent off coupon tonight but it doesn't work with the Quipall generator.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

I'm sure they would have them, but you really don't need anything special. For very short term temporary use you could use almost anything, rigid copper pipe, bare metal fence post, aluminum angle stock, piece of galvanized pipe... they just need to be long enough to get into moist soil which I suspect won't be very deep.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Which cable, 25ft or 50ft?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1F6BNK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=web5689-20&linkId=8a0d7532534fe68864280805de71557b&language=en_US

Right now I have the 10ft version and it juuuuuuuuuust works.

It 'feels' like a 5ft cord

So I'm wondering; is 25ft the 'perfect' length or will I prefer the 50ft?

Or will I need 30ft, be forced to buy the 50, but constantly regret the extra 20ft? (weight and storage)

In other, OTHER words, do I make my setup around the 25ft length?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By danpass:
Which cable, 25ft or 50ft?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1F6BNK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=web5689-20&linkId=8a0d7532534fe68864280805de71557b&language=en_US

Right now I have the 10ft version and it juuuuuuuuuust works.

It 'feels' like a 5ft cord

So I'm wondering; is 25ft the 'perfect' length or will I prefer the 50ft?

Or will I need 30ft, be forced to buy the 50, but constantly regret the extra 20ft? (weight and storage)

In other, OTHER words, do I make my setup around the 25ft length?
View Quote
Where do you plan on placing your generator relative to the inlet?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:

Where do you plan on placing your generator relative to the inlet?
View Quote
Mostly I want to get the genny a bit further away from the house.

But every time I think as to where to do that no good place comes to mind.

Hence the comment about just 'making do' with 25ft and save space and weight over the 50ft
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Put the generator where you want it, then take some string or something and lay it out where it needs to go, then measure the string.

The longer the wire, the more voltage drop, so you don't want a lot of excess wire if you can help it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#38]
The Harbor Freight 4000 Predator with 6.5 HP (212 cc) 3200 running watts generator is on sale locally for $290. Anyone own one? Good deal on a generator that works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsdYxGygy2k
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot1776:
The Harbor Freight 4000 Predator with 6.5 HP (212 cc) 3200 running watts generator is on sale locally for $290. Anyone own one? Good deal on a generator that works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsdYxGygy2k
View Quote
I've had the 7000W for three years.  Used it for several outages.  It starts and runs every time.  No complaints yet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:29:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: itstock] [#40]
I have about 300 hours on one of my Quip-all invertor generators now and can report that it's still just as good as it was on day one.  I have 4 of them now, 2 with pretty much 0 hours hours, 1 with around 300, and another with around 75.

The reason for posting is that the parallel kit is now available for quipall for only $60.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#41]
The last few days of GD threads have made me glad that I spent money last year on the 2000s, parallel kit, cables, etc.  and am sitting on mine, ready to go.  No bragging, just feeling in a more secure situation than I had in the past.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
The last few days of GD threads have made me glad that I spent money last year on the 2000s, parallel kit, cables, etc.  and am sitting on mine, ready to go.  No bragging, just feeling in a more secure situation than I had in the past.
View Quote
It's comforting to know that power after a storm is not a worry. I have a plug and switch to power the house with my 8K/5.5K gas generator. The only thing it won't run is the AC.  I'm sure having a whole house generator would be the tits, but it's rarely needed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
It's comforting to know that power after a storm is not a worry. I have a plug and switch to power the house with my 8K/5.5K gas generator. The only thing it won't run is the AC.  I'm sure having a whole house generator would be the tits, but it's rarely needed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TailHunter:
Originally Posted By phatmax:
I'm probably preaching to the choir, but hope you guys also stocked up on consumables (oil, spark plugs, air filters, etc) for your generators. Those hours can add up quick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By itstock:
I have about 300 hours on one of my Quip-all invertor generators now and can report that it's still just as good as it was on day one.  I have 4 of them now, 2 with pretty much 0 hours hours, 1 with around 300, and another with around 75.

The reason for posting is that the parallel kit is now available for quipall for only $60.
View Quote
Mine had a weird vibration so it's going back to CPO. Did any of yours exhibit the characteristic mine had (video at the top of the page)?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but hope you guys also stocked up on consumables (oil, spark plugs, air filters, etc) for your generators. Those hours can add up quick.
View Quote
Yup, always have spares.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
And fuel...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Timely.

My wife just texted me, power's out at the house...
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Timely.

My wife just texted me, power's out at the house...
View Quote
what happened to your generator!?!

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks
View Quote
Cant speak to the puff but could the tinging be the metal wheel lock disc? Mine made noise till i stuffed a bit of paper towel between it and the wheel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TotalUnRecall] [#50]
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top