Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Um, they've been worn by scots in this country for hundreds of years, smart guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck no.  Born and raised in 'Murica before metro-sexual faggotry has been allowed to rear it's head as the norm.

Um, they've been worn by scots in this country for hundreds of years, smart guy.

How often do ya rock a tricorn and buckskin? I wear one every few days and the bitches look like they just got hit in the bathing suit region by a water balloon when they see me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive worn a full great kilt.  in my clan's colors.. don'tcha know
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell no.  Kilt dudes don't look like Braveheart they look like Fat Bastard.  Islanders can wear a dress.  Their culture, their rules.  They can get away with it.  No one here can.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hell no.  Kilt dudes don't look like Braveheart they look like Fat Bastard.  Islanders can wear a dress.  Their culture, their rules.  They can get away with it.  No one here can.

View Quote

Ahhh. cute
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
No. I am not one of those people
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#6]
33% for kilt. Apparently I'm on the wrong forum
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I inherited a kilt after my grandfathers funeral. I have not worn it since it is waaay too small. I also have a set of bagpipes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Lava-lava while in Samoa
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Indeed. As a Scotsman, I give no fucks what someone thinks of me in a kilt.

I am also happy to have a "gentleman's disagreement" if someone feels it necessary to make more than a couple of jokes about it. But no one ever has.
View Quote

Me too, born in Scotland, so usually worn at formal occasions, not,so much now I am  a naturalized american, don't want to scare the kids. 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I wore a skirt my sophmore or junior year.

Our high school had a ban on shorts.   A number of us got in trouble for attempting to wear shorts.  

But this was the late 80s when denim mini skirts were the norm.    So a whole group of us got together and borrowed skirts from the girls and wore them the next day.   The school had no idea what to do with us.  

The next year the dress code was changed to allow shorts.  
View Quote

LOL, we did the same thing.  But we got sent home and the dress code didn't change
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Proud kilt wearer here.

What I find interesting is how a piece of clothing deemed gay by most ARFCOM warriors has bagged me so much pussy.  I guess I will just have to suffer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because real men throw trees around for fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wore a kilt for a Scottish Highland Games.

You had to be in proper attire.  It was really comfortable, like why would we go away from this comfortable.  I liked wearing it.

I turned the caber, multiple cabers.  I like pussy and not dicks, like burying my face in curly hairs pussy lover.

I'm still sorting all of this out since I wore a kilt.  

Because real men throw trees around for fun.

Back to you friend.

I suppose we are just skirt wearing, tree throwing nancies.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The reason it looks silly is that it's all 'look at me' type of clothing. No different from a fedora, trench coat or medieval wear. It's unmasculine to dress to stand out. Men should dress like everybody else. Like nobodies. Their personality and actions should be the only thing that stands out, not unique clothing or funny hair or a tricorn, or elf boots or a kilt.

Eta: muscles. It's ok to stand out for having big muscles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Scots heritage.

Got married in a kilt.

I do charity work in a kilt!  Every September there's Kilted to Kick Cancer.

I've even done the best man job in a kilt, and officiated at other friend's wedddings in a kilt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a floor length velvety skirt I've been known to wear on drunken occasions... mostly Halloween.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:23:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't check, did we get any "family crest" tattoos yet?

And fuck no, while I can't know for sure if my actual ancestors paraded around in skirts, they definitely would have been outcasts if they did so.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#18]
By the way, the thing is a magnet for women at social events.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I tried on a skirt 4 or 5 times.  Is it true you're supposed to be naked under a kilt?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wore a skirt my sophmore or junior year.

Our high school had a ban on shorts.   A number of us got in trouble for attempting to wear shorts.  

But this was the late 80s when denim mini skirts were the norm.    So a whole group of us got together and borrowed skirts from the girls and wore them the next day.   The school had no idea what to do with us.  

The next year the dress code was changed to allow shorts.  
View Quote

Bashing. You deserve none. Good protest.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:40:40 AM EDT
[#21]
None of the blood flowing through my veins has ties to any country that wears kilts or the like, so, no, I have not.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:02:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Your earing makes the outfit and your eyes pop.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Was traveling around the pacific 20 years ago and spent some time in Fiji.  Got invited to attend church service on a neighbor island, borrowed a sarong for the service.  Have you seen Fijians?  You don't say no.  Super nice people but fit and tough as hell, even and maybe especially the women.  Went to a rugby game as well while I was there, they are no joke.  Bula vinaka!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Wore a sarong in Bali while visiting Hindu temples, it was a respect thing, and im cool with it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Nah, ain't bent that way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The reason it looks silly is that it's all 'look at me' type of clothing. No different from a fedora, trench coat or medieval wear. It's unmasculine to dress to stand out. Men should dress like everybody else. Like nobodies. Their personality and actions should be the only thing that stands out, not unique clothing or funny hair or a tricorn, or elf boots or a kilt.

View Quote

This should have been the first and last post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not everyone agrees with it. My wife doesn't agree with it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I wore a kilt when working at some medieval fairs and they were comfortable and women did like to if you have underwear on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#29]
I was adopted by a Samoan family when I was in the Army, when we were together, I wore the lava-lava they gave me.  Best clothing style for hot weather ever made.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Proud kilt wearer here.

What I find interesting is how a piece of clothing deemed gay by most ARFCOM warriors has bagged me so much pussy.  I guess I will just have to suffer.
View Quote

Yep, I have several utilikilts, even being an overweight bastard I get attention from the ladies wearing them.  Will likely get more when I finish losing weight :-)  Usually only wear them to science fiction conventions, but my wife convinced me to go ahead and wear one to a gathering for my cousin's wedding, which apparently went over well with with a number of his friends.  Of course, if I lose much more weight, I'll have to replace the ones I've got...  John Ringo is well-known for wearing them to conventions as well, he actually counts it as part of his public persona, and wore one for his wedding.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]

It makes you look "safe". Like a friendly eunuch that can fix your computer for free.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I wore a kilt to Flogging Molly and Drop Kick Murphies concerts a few times.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

And there's guys in SCA garb, and Vulcan ears who appeal to certain weird ladies too.

Male cosplayers do well at anime conventions, I'm sure.

They're all still wrong, just like owning gay ass swords is wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Dad is a Scotsman so maybe...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I have spent some time in Scotland, never seen anyone there with a kilt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Theres pictures floating around Arfcom of my in pink fishnets, booty skirt and a corset
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Sarong/skirt/whatever the hell they call it in Bali. Went to some temple and my shorts weren't long enough. Not Lemmy short, but above the knee. They had loaners for people wearing shorts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Got married in a kilt, have worn it to several other events and such.

I wish they were a lot more socially acceptable, they're great.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This. I'm Scottish and not in the "my grandparents maybe came from there" way - spent half my life there.

Black tie means a kilt.
View Quote

Backs up what I was going to say...it isn't supposed to be casual attire, and people that wear them as such probably just like the cool air on their vaginas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Some men can pull it off, some men can't.  These blokes pull it off:

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Also worth noting that of all the articles of clothing I have ever purchased, the only two that more than paid for themselves in the form of free drinks were my kilt and my dress blues.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And there's guys in SCA garb, and Vulcan ears who appeal to certain weird ladies too.

View Quote

I would say there are two sides, but most folks from the big picture POV only see one type.  

There are the folks in kilts and swords, or any other ethic group who do living history education.  Then there are those people in crocheted chainmail and elf ears.........

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It makes you look "safe". Like a friendly eunuch that can fix your computer for free.
View Quote

I want all the kilt wearing masters of the muff highlands to go to a drag show and see how women throw dollar bills and cat call at the men in dresses. Maybe they'll understand this then

Then again, maybe they actually do well. I've never seen it though.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you just insult my wife? (I don't do SCA or Vulcan ears) but don't make fun of people that do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I have the same reaction when I see particularly well matching knee socks and a kilt!  Awwww, cute!

No need to be defensive because I don't think kilts and sarongs work out of context.  If I saw you in a red or green plaid skirt in Scotland I'd probably yell out "FREEEEEEEDOM!"  If I see you at the shopping center in the same skirt I'd think "I didn't see a Scottish family reunion sign or an outdoor Food Network show on Haggis so what's with the dress?"

I wouldn't waste my time bothering to post defensive replies to people who poke fun at you.  Who cares what some anonymous stranger on the Internet thinks about your desire to wear kilts and sarongs?

Shrugs.

Quoted:

Ahhh. cute
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have the same reaction when I see particularly well matching knee socks and a kilt!  Awwww, cute!

No need to be defensive because I don't think kilts and sarongs work out of context.  If I saw you in a red or green plaid skirt in Scotland I'd probably yell out "FREEEEEEEDOM!"  If I see you at the shopping center in the same skirt I'd think "I didn't see a Scottish family reunion sign or an outdoor Food Network show on Haggis so what's with the dress?"

I wouldn't waste my time bothering to post defensive replies to people who poke fun at you.  Who cares what some anonymous stranger on the Internet thinks about your desire to wear kilts and sarongs?

Shrugs.
View Quote

Not defensive I actually thought what you wrote was a "cute" sentiment
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Get a friend who's getting his doctorate in history doing his dissertation on fashion of all things.

The history of "mens" styles has been a cycle of "LOOK AT ME!" followed by women adopting a variation of the style then an abandonment of the style by the men for the next LOOK AT ME!

What's astonishing is how petrified fashion has been for the past 100 years or so by comparison to the previous 1,000.

It's equally astonishing how threatened many men boys feel about someone not dressing in the fashion they deem to be properly conventional.  It's quite normal for them to reassure themselves of their position in the troop with their threat display.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand what you are saying... but all I'm hearing is...

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Get a friend who's getting his doctorate in history doing his dissertation on fashion of all things.

The history of "mens" styles has been a cycle of "LOOK AT ME!" followed by women adopting a variation of the style then an abandonment of the style by the men for the next LOOK AT ME!

What's astonishing is how petrified fashion has been for the past 100 years or so by comparison to the previous 1,000.

It's equally astonishing how threatened many men boys feel about someone not dressing in the fashion they deem to be properly conventional.  It's quite normal for them to reassure themselves of their position in the troop with their threat display.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

This guy threatens every confidence in my manhood. That's the only reason why I mock him
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes - the McDonald side of the family
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top