BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You get a good heeler you will never have a more loyal loving or better dog.

But he will need to put the effort in. You will need to be consistent with training and exercise.

Yes I’m biased

https://i.postimg.cc/DzYmqch1/C8-FF3-E67-8-F02-464-A-9816-882-E440-D1584.jpg
View Quote
Heelers crack me up. If you get them with a group of people they will try to herd a group.

You see them at rodeos all time, they seem to be some sort of official cowboy dog.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get a mutt that needs a home.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've never met one I trusted, I'm sure they are good for whatever family they belong to, but they always seem like they are ready to chew on your ass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can handle it, a German Shepard Dog is one of the best dogs known to man. I had two when I was a small boy. Best dogs alive in my opinion.
I've never met one I trusted, I'm sure they are good for whatever family they belong to, but they always seem like they are ready to chew on your ass.
"Aloof with strangers" is a breed REQUIREMENT for GSDs.

OP, get the boy a golden retriever.  Best pet animal, period.  Buy a very expensive one from a breeder that is fanatic about health testing.  They get cancer and have allergies and it takes a LOT of looking to find a good breeder because they are such popular and desirable dogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Heelers crack me up. If you get them with a group of people they will try to herd a group.

You see them at rodeos all time, they seem to be some sort of official cowboy dog.
View Quote
They are great dogs, full of character. They fascinate me. I could watch my two  all day. The female is hilarious, she’s basically a wild animal that loves cuddles and is fearless to retard level.

The male is all instinct he hates cows.

I’ve never had a dog who did thus before. They love swimming but only to chase a stick or ball .

This is me a few days ago in Spain. Whenever I went for a swim he followed me and just paddled around with me out in the sea.

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Black or yellow lab. Female.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Some possible ideas, as the ones you’re looking at all have special considerations

Cocker Spaniel. A good bit of grooming involved, daily brushing and grooming appointments. Dogs from good breeders have very sound temperaments and happy-go-lucky natures, but dogs from breeders who don't emphasize temperament in their program can have sketchy, nervous temperaments.

Rat Terrier. Virtually no grooming, great temperaments, always up for adventure, healthy little beasties, smart, and a lot of fun.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. One of the larger toy breeds, known for being good with children, smart, and very cuddly. Moderate grooming needs.

Boston Terrier. Great personalities, usually energetic, lots of fun. Not a lot of grooming, but you do need to pay attention to their eyes. Beware of anyone selling “rare” colors like lilac, chocolate, red, blue, etc.

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've gotten flak more than once in GD for suggesting not getting a working breed unless you plan on working it.

Seems silly to get a GSD if you don't want it to patrol, or a bird dog if you don't  hunt birds.

Most people just want a companion dog, and that's fine, but a cheap mutt is usually the best for that, they tend to be extremely even tempered and usually have fewer late life issues. The few mutts we had the farm weren't good at much other than being friendly, but they lived forever and never had any health problems.
View Quote
They make great family dogs if the owner invests the time to train it but it's the type of breed that will take over your home if you don't.
They will do what ever they want if they don't have an alpha in the home.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get a mutt that needs a home.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Heelers are amazing dogs. I've had beagles, too. If you're lucky you won't get one with a terribly obnoxious sounding bay. Ask me how I know.  I vote heeler.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some questions:

1. How much time do you have to devote to grooming, training, and exercising the dog? I know you have kids, but a lot of the responsibility will fall on you.

2. How much noise can you deal with? Some dogs are quiet, but some are yappy and some howl. A lot.

3. How obedient do you want it to be? Some dogs are quick learners and are very biddable. Some are very intelligent but really could not care less about doing as they’re told.

4. What is your budget? You can cheap out, but quality isn’t usually cheap.

5. Is there anything beyond being a child’s companion that you want the dog to do? Hiking, alerting to intruders, rat patrol, obedience or agility work, etc.
View Quote
Literally any dog thread where the OP doesn't tag @Naamah should just get locked.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Black or yellow lab. Female.
View Quote
Why female?

Girl dogs can get bitchy, we had a few hunting dogs that were female and if they didn't like someone that was hunting with us, they just wouldn't hunt.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll third the Boston Terrier, I have 2 great dogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Texas heeler.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I've had a GSD. Way too much work/time for a kid's first dog. You're going to end up with a poor pet and a powerful headache with teeth.

I'd vote for a spaniel type, or Lab mix. Labradoodle ( Lab/poodle/cocker mix) is ideal. Intelligent, no barking, low prey drive, low shedding and easy grooming.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Boxer
View Quote
X2
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Before my wife and I even got married I started talking up GSDs.  Her family had always had goldens.  Well, two years into marriage, our golden is dead from cancer and she has two GSDs under a year old, all three of them are off right now doing tracking training with their IGP club.

I don't get to interact with the GSDs while they are in training, which is now until they are about 2.

I've got my little mutt dog, and I love her, and when I get myself a PET dog, as opposed to these psychotic demon fur ninjas my wife bought, its going to be another Golden.  Its going to cost as much as the gsd's though ($2k-$3k).  With what we spent on vet bills on Comet in the last couple years of his life, spending a ton up front for a well bred animal is cheap by comparison.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've had a GSD. Way too much work/time for a kid's first dog. You're going to end up with a poor pet and a powerful headache with teeth.

I'd vote for a spaniel type, or Lab mix. Labradoodle ( Lab/poodle/cocker mix) is ideal. Intelligent, no barking, low prey drive, low shedding and easy grooming.
View Quote
What does a doodle offer that a poodle doesn’t?

And lol at the easy grooming part. Most of the time, they’re grooming nightmares.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Just my opinion kids cant raise dogs correctly they take too much effort.

Most parents get a dog "for the kids" but quickly learn it takes an adult to raise them right and before you know it the dog is actually the mom or dads best friend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed on the GSD, amazing dogs, but not great first kids dog - unless You are going to put the first 6 months of training on it, i’d avoid the real working breeds. Hounds can be great if you get a runt (bonus, cheaper), or if they’re a mix (bonus, also cheaper). Beagles can be a handful, but once trained are amazing family pets.
I’d avoid Heelers as a first time dog, too.

Go to a big shelter or a couple of shelters with your list of must-haves, most will be honest and help you out. Aim for a short-hair breed, but also just pay attention to which ones seem to notice your boy or not. Take your time :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll go ahead and advise against heelers as a first dog or for a family with kids under ten. While they can be great dogs, you need to know what you're doing and getting yourself into. They are working dogs that need training, exercise and consistent discipline to be happy. Mine is about as gentle as a hand grenade and constantly challenged my authority when he was young. Add to that dog aggression and high prey drive and you have a poor choice for a kid to handle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In Texas, do you bird hunt?

If yes, obvious answer would be a Labrador Retriever or a German Shorthair Pointer.
View Quote
Or Springer, Cocker, Brittany or Boykin Spaniel. Even if you don’t hunt, field bred spaniels are great companions and smart without the stubbornness built into the inbreeding of Labs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Boxer
View Quote
This is my favorite breed but requires a lot of attention.  Boxers are super smart.  They like to goof off and prefer to do their own tricks rather than the ones you want to teach.  I love that! but some people need an obedient dog that is eager to please it owner.  Boxer is a family member that gets in the middle of things,  not the family dog that stays out of the way.

There is a youtube channel  I ran across once that has some good breed descriptions that may help you.  They are unbiased and talk about personality traits and all of that.  You will be happier with a dog that fits your family, even if I think it is lame.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#23]
German Shepherd. Super protective, super loyal, lots of energy and fun to play with. He’ll be your boys best friend. i’ve had them since I was a little kid maybe six years old. Some of the few positive memories I have of my childhood were with that dog.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Mutt is the natural state of dogs. All the various breeds are humans fucking with genetics, often in haphazard ways. That said, if you want a specific personality, there are breeds that have certain tendencies.

First and foremost:  DO NOT BUY ON LOOKS. Remember that Jack Russel on Frasier? Everyone thought that dog was so cute and went out and bought them. Well, turns out they’re balls of energy that are difficult for the average dog owner to train and people were trying to get rid of them almost immediately.

Take several of the dog breed selector quizzes and see what breeds keep popping up based on the criteria you set forth.

Generally speaking, short haired dogs shed the worst. Like a Doberman. One pet and your palms are black. Curly/wavy hair tends to shed less and be more hypoallergenic. Dual coats may middle of the road, but then blow out a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
German Shepherd. Super protective, super loyal, lots of energy and fun to play with. He’ll be your boys best friend. i’ve had them since I was a little kid maybe six years old. Some of the few positive memories I have of my childhood were with that dog.
View Quote

The thing with that is wasn't you that trained it that's why you remember super great memories .

but agree great breed

It will be the OP's dog if he gets a shepherd and he said he wasn't interested in that breed .
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Boxer. They are pillows for children. Extremely protective. They travel well. A "large" Boxer can get close to 100 lbs. but the average is 50-70 lbs. We are on our second and unfortunately last Boxer due to my age. When our guy passes in a few years I'll be over 70 and I just won't be able to help another one in his time of need as I would then be hopefully over 80 years old. In the mean time I have SOOOOOO much fun with my buddy! He rides on the zero turn with me while I mow. He stays very close to me 24/7. My wife is HIS pillow. He rides on the dash of the Motor Home and just about any other place he sees fit to ride. Boxer hands down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some possible ideas, as the ones you’re looking at all have special considerations

Cocker Spaniel. A good bit of grooming involved, daily brushing and grooming appointments. Dogs from good breeders have very sound temperaments and happy-go-lucky natures, but dogs from breeders who don't emphasize temperament in their program can have sketchy, nervous temperaments.

https://9b16f79ca967fd0708d1-2713572fef44aa49ec323e813b06d2d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/1140x_a10-7_cTC/Grant-BKG-1-1550025442.jpg

Rat Terrier. Virtually no grooming, great temperaments, always up for adventure, healthy little beasties, smart, and a lot of fun.

http://artaukc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1cookiez2.jpg

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. One of the larger toy breeds, known for being good with children, smart, and very cuddly. Moderate grooming needs.

https://www.dogsnsw.org.au/media/img/BrowseAllBreed/Cavalier-King-Charles-Spaniel.jpg

Boston Terrier. Great personalities, usually energetic, lots of fun. Not a lot of grooming, but you do need to pay attention to their eyes. Beware of anyone selling “rare” colors like lilac, chocolate, red, blue, etc.

http://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/0505b208-2501-4000-a31f-89bffd4cbda0/56dc2480-53a1-494e-824a-bb588f55070b.jpg
View Quote
BT for the win, they can be aggressive chewers so get them nylabones, but they live to be with people.
Will want to sleep n the bed with your boy and they take up way more room then a smaller dog should.
Check for a rescue as they will already be housebroken and through the worst of the chewing phase.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Mutt We'e always had (rescued) mixed breed dogs and with the eception of 1 they have been awsome healthy dogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And lol at the easy grooming part. Most of the time, they’re grooming nightmares.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're (fancy named) mutts. Mutts have better health and temperament than purebred dogs.

As far as grooming, give them a puppy cut once every six weeks and keep the ears free of hair... really not a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Golden retriever. The correct answer is always GR.

Lab and standard poodle are also great family dogs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Labrador or Golden Retriever.
Or like my designer dog - a 50/50 mix of both, a Goldador!

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#32]
English Setter.   Give a homeless dog a home, OP.

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They're (fancy named) mutts. Mutts have better health and temperament than purebred dogs.

As far as grooming, give them a puppy cut once every six weeks and keep the ears free of hair... really not a big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

False and false. Dogs from breeders who care about health and temperament have better health and temperaments than dogs from breeders who don’t. And guess what most mutt breeders don’t care about or even test? Health and temperament.

And doodle coats tend to mat up easier and attract more dirt due to the combination of oily Lab and fluffy long poodle fur, and many groomers refuse to groom them because they are often matted up bitey monsters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#34]
There are so many good dog breeds it's hard to narrow it down.

For small dogs, I'm a fan of Pomeranians. They aren't yappy and they're smart, will alert, have big dog personalities. Being small they're a lot less hassle and they don't have huge training requirements. We have a Pom mix atm.

For medium dogs there are just too many choices, I've had great luck with Dobermans but they're training intensive. We currently have a rescue whippet and they're much better pets than you'd think, a lot of people recommend them. They need some time chasing a ball but other than that they're very happy as house dogs and IME have excellent manners, you just can't walk them off leash at all until they're older.

Labs and retrievers aren't bad, labs tend to take several years to calm down though.

Poodles and poodle crosses make great pets.

A lot of the aussie/heeler/border/scent hound breeds, any intelligent working breed really, will require a job and a lot of attention to keep them out of trouble, triple that for a Husky.

The best dogs are mutts IMO, but you're never sure what you're getting. I would get a mix of a couple breeds that I would consider anyway if possible, especially if you can rescue a dog you like from a pound, or get a puppy where you can meet the parents.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Get a terrier. Fox or an Airedale if you need a bigger dog.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Labrador retriever
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
May I suggest a Shetland Sheepdog?  Otherwise knows as Shelties

They are great, loving family dogs.

Some are good at obedience and Rally, others are better at warming the sofa  

ETA: A Video for your enjoyment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWxhUiRjWNI
View Quote
Fantastic dogs usually, need to run every day if possible but a good walk will do. Extremely smart and willing to please or chill out. They shed, a lot. They attract a lot of attention and everyone will compliment you if you keep them brushed. I'm extremely biased though.

Another great dog for kids is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they may look like a small pit bull and they are distantly related, but they are very good with family and kids. They are very strong so they need training, but their temperament is about perfect and very few health issues.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a lab and a jrt/heeler/who knows mutt.

The mutt is my baby.  But she is crazy, not yappy  though, hard headed, and smart.   Barely listens but knows what you are asking.  Slap the training collar on and she good(vibrate mode only)

The lab on the other hand.  Very well behaved, aims to please, easy to train.

Get a lab or a lab mix.  The best overall bred known to man.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bullshit. Stop buying dogs from shit breeders and puppy mills.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I would never consider a beagle.  All the ones I have known were stubborn and constant barkers.

Heelers are fun dogs but have a lot of energy and so do boxers.

I really like my doberman but he is super smart and tests me on a daily basis.  Good family dog and great with kids.  He was socialized a lot when he was young so now he is protective but will let you into his circle of friends if I let you in.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#42]
If you want to hate your first dog get a heeler. Mine is an awesome dog for me but she will bite people on the ankles, she whines and barks constantly when she wants to play, she has to go to work, she is super protective, and she is way too smart.  They are amazing dogs if you have the time and skill to train them. They will listen amazingly if you constantly keep them honest, if you slip on your discipline and training they will revert to little assholes.

Get a Rottweiler. They are extremely smart, loyal, have no problem being active or lazy, they will protect your house and your children, they are good judges of character, and they all have great personalities.

Or do what I did and get both.

Rotty vrs. Heeler battle royale
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've gotten flak more than once in GD for suggesting not getting a working breed unless you plan on working it.

Seems silly to get a GSD if you don't want it to patrol, or a bird dog if you don't  hunt birds.

Most people just want a companion dog, and that's fine, but a cheap mutt is usually the best for that, they tend to be extremely even tempered and usually have fewer late life issues. The few mutts we had the farm weren't good at much other than being friendly, but they lived forever and never had any health problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5. Is there anything beyond being a child’s companion that you want the dog to do? Hiking, alerting to intruders, rat patrol, obedience or agility work, etc.

That.

Don't get a Heeler, Aussie, or Border Collie if you don't intend to exercise it often, and I don't mean occasionally going for a walk. Those dogs thrive on activity.

Beagles are a less extreme version of this. Mine does some chewing when he gets bored, but that's my fault. I'm a single guy that works long hours, though. I think my beagle would do better if someone was home more often interacting with him.

The temperament of the beagle is pretty awesome, though. They are extremely friendly and loving dogs, and I'm not sure if they're even capable of aggression. They are also one of the healthiest breeds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some questions:

1. How much time do you have to devote to grooming, training, and exercising the dog? I know you have kids, but a lot of the responsibility will fall on you.

2. How much noise can you deal with? Some dogs are quiet, but some are yappy and some howl. A lot.

3. How obedient do you want it to be? Some dogs are quick learners and are very biddable. Some are very intelligent but really could not care less about doing as they’re told.

View Quote
@Naamah It seems a few have asked these questions so I'm try and answer.

1) We have a good amount of time actually. Oldest is in Baseball and has practice/games a few times a week. Other than that we don't have a lot going on.

2) I expect some noise, but I don't want a little dog who barks at every.stinking.thing either.

3) I also don't expect to have a super highly trained dog. Sit, stay, come, play with a ball or something. He won't be enrolled in weekly classes if that's what you're asking.

4) I was thinking ~$300. Most of the Blue Heelers and Beagles in the area are around there. No $1k Australian royalty bloodline needed.

5) Playing fetch/ball, maybe a frisbee, let us know when someone is here. Just usually dog stuff.

Honestly, I had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. We taught her to sit, roll over, stay, and we did a lot of playing in the yard. I think that's what they need. I don't think we'll be skiing a lot of a dog. Just being a good family pet the kids can grow up with. I'm sure a stray would probably be just fine for my needs but I'd prefer something more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://9b16f79ca967fd0708d1-2713572fef44aa49ec323e813b06d2d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/1140x_a10-7_cTC/Grant-BKG-1-1550025442.jpg

http://artaukc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/1cookiez2.jpg

https://www.dogsnsw.org.au/media/img/BrowseAllBreed/Cavalier-King-Charles-Spaniel.jpg

http://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/0505b208-2501-4000-a31f-89bffd4cbda0/56dc2480-53a1-494e-824a-bb588f55070b.jpg
View Quote
I'm surprised the Cavalier King Charles isn't more popular. Those dogs are like teddy bears.

That and the pug are among the best couch potato breeds I've been around.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...

The designer breeds these days started as “fancy mutts”.  You’d take a poodle and a Labrador and make a labradoodle. But now people aren’t doing that. They’re taking a labradoodle and breeding it with a labradoodle. They haven’t been around long enough to create a deep gene pool, so they’re creating problems.

Then, poodles aren’t necessarily know for their great personality. So the idea was to breed the lab personality with the poodle hypoallergenic coat. Unfortunately, the lab personality doesn’t necessarily come out.

So yes, mutts generally have well rounded personality and health. But don’t think the “-doodles” fall into that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Sorry,  don't like little dogs.

German shepherd or go home.

Your son will thank you later.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#48]
So many choices
Healer
Standard schnauzer
Golden
Etc etc
Many are good choices to be a boy's best friend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
especially if they find a muddy puddle
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and advise against heelers as a first dog or for a family with kids under ten. While they can be great dogs, you need to know what you're doing and getting yourself into. They are working dogs that need training, exercise and consistent discipline to be happy. Mine is about as gentle as a hand grenade and constantly challenged my authority when he was young. Add to that dog aggression and high prey drive and you have a poor choice for a kid to handle.
View Quote
sound advice.  You need a lot of time and energy for a heel er
Quoted:
Labrador or Golden Retriever.
Or like my designer dog - a 50/50 mix of both, a Goldador!

https://a4.pbase.com/o10/72/325172/1/165389157.dgrMi8os.OsaLakeTrailT.jpg
View Quote
awesome looking dog. Looks like a younger version of my Sarah.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

1) We have a good amount of time actually. Oldest is in Baseball and has practice/games a few times a week. Other than that we don't have a lot going on.

2) I expect some noise, but I don't want a little dog who barks at every.stinking.thing either.

3) I also don't expect to have a super highly trained dog. Sit, stay, come, play with a ball or something. He won't be enrolled in weekly classes if that's what you're asking.

4) I was thinking ~$300. Most of the Blue Heelers and Beagles in the area are around there. No $1k Australian royalty bloodline needed.

5) Playing fetch/ball, maybe a frisbee, let us know when someone is here. Just usually dog stuff.

Honestly, I had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. We taught her to sit, roll over, stay, and we did a lot of playing in the yard. I think that's what they need. I don't think we'll be skiing a lot of a dog. Just being a good family pet the kids can grow up with. I'm sure a stray would probably be just fine for my needs but I'd prefer something more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some questions:

I would very sincerely suggest you look for a well-socialized, retired show dog from the breeds I suggested. They are adults, but not necessarily “old”, usually ranging from 2-5 years old. They are already trained, and usually trained very well. There is nothing wrong with them, just that the breeder can’t keep all of the dogs they want shown, and the retiree isn’t needed in their breeding program. And they are usually available at a greatly reduced cost to good, loving homes, homes where they can be the focus of attention, rather than one of many.

I can do some looking if you figure out what you’d like.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top