Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Pearly not pilot error. I am going with ground crew fault . I think he was practicing arrest or wire landing and the crew hung the wire too high.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My official SME finding is this:  He ran out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas, simultaneously.    It looked like the prop clipped the streetlight(?)

Although it’s very hard to tell from that short clip, it appeared that he wasn’t at max AOA, so maybe he did lower the nose to fly under the big power lines?
View Quote

The N-strut on the left side clipped the light -- you can see the top wing beginning to fail before he hit the street light wire.

If that was a stock 220 Stearman, his initial attempt to climb was _way_ higher than what it is normally capable of.  He had to lower the nose to not stall.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Stearman was called "The Yellow Peril" for a reason......
View Quote

The Stearman can be a tricky airplane to fly (and especially land), but this accident had zero to do with those reasons.

The "yellow peril" name had to do with all of the inexperienced students buzzing around in them at fields with almost entirely procedural control of operations, not the somewhat persnickety flying qualities it can have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My official SME finding is this:  He ran out of Altitude, Airspeed and Ideas, simultaneously.    It looked like the prop clipped the streetlight(?)

Although it’s very hard to tell from that short clip, it appeared that he wasn’t at max AOA, so maybe he did lower the nose to fly under the big power lines?    

Altogether; one of the dumbest stunts I’ve seen.  Almost, (but not quite), as ‘tarded as the guy who tried to fly his home made high wing carbon fiber Turboprop bushplane in a 40 kt crosswind.
View Quote

I thought I read that he was taking off from the highway? Did he just decide to not walk the entire length of what he was taking off from to make sure there were none of those?

He hit the streetlight then looked like he got the prop hung in the powerlines or the tensioning line. Did he live? That was a pretty nasty impact. Stupid motherfucker. If he lives I would say EIR and revokation of everything.

I worked a 137 rotary that got hung in a tensioning line last year, but that guy had it come loose from one end and wrap around the rotor which snapped the helicopter like a bandana against a little brother onto the ground. Never really thought about the fact that splattered person looks like strawberry jello, but it does. In the 137 guy's mishap, he didn't land and make sure there wasn't a tensioning line, and was in a hurry just before dusk. Getting impatient and rushing shit that need not be rushed is easily 75% of the accidents I work.

Here is a fun one I worked a couple nights ago...

Same shit, someone with more plane than sense decided to rush shit. Hit a tensioning line and ended upside down. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't hit the huge sign.
View Quote

Yeah, but no. You need to watch it again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope the pilot was the owner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What fell off the plane as it went over the intersection?
View Quote

It clipped a pole with the left wing tip just prior to the intersection, so it was probably a small bit of wing and a bit of the pole.  

That pilot either miscalculated his 50ft. obstacle takeoff roll requirement, or botched his short field takeoff technique.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d like to see the entire takeoff to be sure, but my guess from that video is that he originally intended to stay on the ground until clear of the intersection. I think he got more speed than he expected early, decided he could clear the traffic lights, then second guessed himself and tried to drop back under them after he was already committed to the climb.

Basically, he “squirreled”. Going over the obstacle would likely have worked. Going under the obstacle would likely have worked. Trying to do one then changing his mind didn’t work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"“It was towed from the airport to be in the festival parade, and then they went to the parade, and then in lieu of towing it [back] because it looked like weather was moving in on them, they felt like it would be quicker-- the highway had been shut down for the parade--they felt like it was quicker to fly it, definitely not at the recommendation of the authorities or the festival,” Hawthorne said."

View Quote

For fucks sake
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d like to see the entire takeoff to be sure, but my guess from that video is that he originally intended to stay on the ground until clear of the intersection. I think he got more speed than he expected early, decided he could clear the traffic lights, then second guessed himself and tried to drop back under them after he was already committed to the climb.

Basically, he “squirreled”. Going over the obstacle would likely have worked. Going under the obstacle would likely have worked. Trying to do one then changing his mind didn’t work.
View Quote

The full video from another angle is on facebook. It shows him from taxi out to run up.  He lost directional authority and ended up in the median ditch,  from there he did a rushed/panic takeoff.  He clipped the light and possibly the traffic lighting wires with his wing.  Followed by the power lines crossing the road.   The pilot is a dumbass that did a dumbass thing.  

He also almost killed a police officer that was controlling traffic.

ETA:  Watching the video again..  He ran off the road,  forced a takeoff from the ditch.  Clipped the light which pulled his nose down and to the left and into the traffic signal wires,  collapsing the wings and flipping the plane on its back.  From other sources.. It sounds like the fool walked away.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't do facebook,  but here is the facebook video link.  

https://www.facebook.com/KevinSteeleTV/videos
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Graduate of the Harrison Ford Off Airport Ground School.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Graduate of the Harrison Ford Off Airport Ground School.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to work next to the factory in Wichita, I think they stopped making spare parts about 70 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't let the pilot have a mustang and go to cars and coffee.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't let the pilot have a mustang and go to cars and coffee.
View Quote

LOL!

When I sold my Mustang I told the kid to avoid cars and coffee,  And never drive by crowds.    
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Shed a few tears seeing it was a Stearman. Hope the occupants were ok.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Its too bad theres no way of knowing what a safe taxi speed is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Well that was fucking stupid...
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#25]

The Reese Extreme Blizzard was too extreme.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is the spirit. My ag buddies would have made it work. Mind you I prefer 8,000+ feet of runway, an ILS, and ATC.
View Quote

@pilatuspilot

I hope you've upgraded from the Pilatus if you need 8,000+ ft to feel comfortable?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't worry scro'! There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick ass lives. My first wife was 'tarded. She's a pilot now.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought I read that he was taking off from the highway? Did he just decide to not walk the entire length of what he was taking off from to make sure there were none of those?

He hit the streetlight then looked like he got the prop hung in the powerlines or the tensioning line. Did he live? That was a pretty nasty impact. Stupid motherfucker. If he lives I would say EIR and revokation of everything.

I worked a 137 rotary that got hung in a tensioning line last year, but that guy had it come loose from one end and wrap around the rotor which snapped the helicopter like a bandana against a little brother onto the ground. Never really thought about the fact that splattered person looks like strawberry jello, but it does. In the 137 guy's mishap, he didn't land and make sure there wasn't a tensioning line, and was in a hurry just before dusk. Getting impatient and rushing shit that need not be rushed is easily 75% of the accidents I work.

Same shit, someone with more plane than sense decided to rush shit. Hit a tensioning line and ended upside down. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66115/20210919_212218_jpg-2115496.JPG

View Quote

As a rule of thumb, pilots are idiots....
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I've learned here in GD, it not the what is being discussed, it's whom saying it.  Anyone talking prettier than a $10 whore is considered a SME, even with no relevant experience.  And the more emotional a subject is, the more expressive or eloquent poster is held in regard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
My sister used to be an investigator for the NTSB, what questions do you want answers to?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
where's a treadmill when you really need one?
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Some stories tell themselves. Pilot overestimated his skills.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually,  There’s a reason you aren’t supposed to take off from roads that have light poles, wires and other assorted stuff.   The rules of Aviation are written in blood.    

Did he survive?   If he did, he got damned lucky.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actually,  There’s a reason you aren’t supposed to take off from roads that have light poles, wires and other assorted stuff.   The rules of Aviation are written in blood.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He walked away.  Unscathed.  Stupid and lucky.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My sister used to be an investigator for the NTSB, what questions do you want answers to?
View Quote

Why "used to" be?  Hopefully retired.....I've only ever heard of one Federal employee being fired, ever, and that was because they got caught turning in inspection reports for inspections conducted at locations where they never showed up, and then subsequent investigation showed that they never left their house...........
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Harrison Ford?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Harrison Ford?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wonder if his insurance company has an out on this one.  It wasn’t an emergency landing on a highway but a chosen path to take off from a highway when there was no need.  

I would call him a dumbass for crunching the plane when it was entirely avoidable.
View Quote

Going to have a come to Jesus meeting with the FAA. Will get his licensed revoked.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:58:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks like he miscalculated the "distance needed to clear a 50 ft obstacle."
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#40]
He fucked up
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Damned shame.
View Quote

Really is, I don't think he saw a wire.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Pilot error.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same shit, someone with more plane than sense decided to rush shit. Hit a tensioning line and ended upside down. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/66115/20210919_212218_jpg-2115496.JPG

There are idiots of all stripes and designs.

Pilots TEND to get themselves killed or in trouble often because they're the kid with the cool toy that they get to poke holes in sky with. A substantial majority of the mishaps I work, the pilot did something stupid by rushing or fucking around showing off.

I have also seen maintenance guys do some absolutely retarded shit. There is a "Repair Station" near me that acts like they're a certificated repair station, but in actuality they have a bunch of newbs working under one guy's A&P, and once a week another guy comes in who has an IA. We caught the non A&P guys signing shit off by forging the IA's signature. The thread started getting tugged because of a mishap in which someone got pretty significantly injured.

I have seen air traffic controllers be absolute fucktards. Had one that involved two flavors of FAA when the tech ops guys were doing a runway centerline check in fog. They talked to ATC, got clearance to be there, and then ATC forgot that they were out there and cleared a Bonanza to land on the runway. The tech ops guys heard the landing clearance and started talking, but the controllers were talking to other pilots on multiple stations and they ended up getting walked on. There was just enough visibility for the pilot to see the tech ops van sitting on the runway and he slammed hard right rudder/brake, scraped the end of the wing on the runway, ended up in the grass, crossed another taxiway and the deviated threshold of another runway before coming to a stop in even more grass just before the airport fence.

I have seen other inspectors be fucktards. One guy signed off on someone ripping the engines off a baron and then putting a turboprop on the nose, and the nose of that aircraft was NEVER designed to take a load like that because it was a baggage area. Worse is that the fucktard allowed them to literally take a TC'd multi engine plane, swap out engines, and somehow through the magic of handwavium, turn that into a homebuilt. Well it's not, and no you don't get to fly passengers in it either. There were multiple levels of fucktard involved in that one.

There are fucktards throughout aviation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hope the pilot was the owner.
View Quote

He was a pilot for a local crop dusting service that my cousin owns.  The pilot survived with no injuries.

The plane was part of a parade for a festival we have every year, one issue he had was he didn’t take off from far enough back.  Second issue was one of the wheels went off the blacktop which brought the rear of plane back down for a split second.  The third issue was yea, pilot error…should not have made that takeoff to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#47]
I assume when the plane departed from intended flight path while still on the ground (rolled off into the grass), the correct action was to kill the throttle and abort the takeoff?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He was a pilot for a local crop dusting service that my cousin owns.  The pilot survived with no injuries.

The plane was part of a parade for a festival we have every year, one issue he had was he didn’t take off from far enough back.  Second issue was one of the wheels went off the blacktop which brought the rear of plane back down for a split second.  The third issue was yea, pilot error…should not have made that takeoff to begin with.
View Quote

So the pilot doesn't own the plane that he destroyed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#49]
What a dolt.

What a waste of a lovely vintage aircraft.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I assume when the plane departed from intended flight path while still on the ground (rolled off into the grass), the correct action was to kill the throttle and abort the takeoff?
View Quote

It depends on things that the two videos haven't really shown.

In a taildragger, an impending loss of directional control while still on the ground at higher speeds is usually fixed by getting airborne where the flight control and lift surfaces want to naturally keep the airplane going forward straight. The Stearman further has some squirrelly ground handling characteristics because the 46-gallon fuel tank is located in the center of the top wing structure. If there's full fuel in there, it can result in some very entertaining reverse-pendulum-effect movements to the airplane if it starts swerving.

The correct action would have been to back-taxi and start the takeoff run several hundred feet prior to where he did; it was going to be uncomfortably close to that intersection regardless of if that swerve into the grass had taken place or not.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top