Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our oldest is going into a male dominated field and we've had discussions about ways to earn respect and ways to lose it.  Things she'll have to be extra cognizant of, things to avoid, etc.  

She was encouraged by one of her professors to attend a conference for women in the industry that was supposedly covering the ^^^^ same things.  

She came home and was not in a good mood.  She tossed the goody bag they gave her onto the couch and looked at us like .  It was a pink tool kit filled with pink tools.  
View Quote

I have worked most of my life in male dominated fields. The way to earn respect is to work. Don't be out getting parts/tools whatever when the shitty part comes up. If you are physically unable to do a task, work, do cleanup or some tedious task while others are doing it. Don't take days off or get sick on days that everyone knows is going to suck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They get no work done taking vids and selfies all day .
View Quote

You assume they're doing n any work that isn't running for coffee or sandwiches.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like the one with the pigtails
View Quote

As do I so you can have the one with the little muffin top.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have worked most of my life in male dominated fields. The way to earn respect is to work. Don't be out getting parts/tools whatever when the shitty part comes up. If you are physically unable to do a task, work, do cleanup or some tedious task while others are doing it. Don't take days off or get sick on days that everyone knows is going to suck.
View Quote

It takes a lot more than that, but yes.  

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I love celebrating women's accomplishments by watching them hyper-sexualize and objective themselves for male attention.  

It's almost like women need men to want them far, far more than they need a fancy title, big income... or a sense of accomplishement?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Knowing her, I'm sure her face said it all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our oldest is going into a male dominated field and we've had discussions about ways to earn respect and ways to lose it.  Things she'll have to be extra cognizant of, things to avoid, etc.  

She was encouraged by one of her professors to attend a conference for women in the industry that was supposedly covering the ^^^^ same things.  

She came home and was not in a good mood.  She tossed the goody bag they gave her onto the couch and looked at us like .  It was a pink tool kit filled with pink tools.  

Tell her to sell it as a limited edition Barbie® Fixer Grrrl tool set on eBay and buy what she wants.  I bet she was biting her tongue to keep from saying "Is this a joke?" when they handed it to them.

Knowing her, I'm sure her face said it all.

She should have done a Zoolander and asked "What are these?  Tools for children??"
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've been in the gas industry for decades, done HVAC and white goods for decades, and had a firewood business before I was in the Mil, my hands don't have a single callous, as soon as I get one, it falls off. Now scars..................my hands and arms are covered with them from sheet metal edges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More like she once plugged in a computer and now call themselves an ''electrician.''

The pigtailed one may be, but the frosted blonde, no.

I wanna see their hands up close, top and bottom, without filters. Many an interview I conducted began and ended with asking to see an interviewee's hands.

I've been in the gas industry for decades, done HVAC and white goods for decades, and had a firewood business before I was in the Mil, my hands don't have a single callous, as soon as I get one, it falls off. Now scars..................my hands and arms are covered with them from sheet metal edges.

Barring some genetic freak, one way or another hands are going to show evidence of hard work.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I’m sitting here with my sparker sparking!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m here for the gang box

I’d ream their conduit

I’d bust a wire nut on those pigtails

I’d backstab their receptacles

I’d terminate the hot load
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1, 2
View Quote
(1,2),(1,2)
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm here for the gang box

I'd ream their conduit

I'd bust a wire nut on those pigtails

I'd backstab their receptacles

I'd terminate the hot load
View Quote
I'd go through a 5 gallon bucket of Clear Glide.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do Europeans always wear those synthetic looking pants? I see it in outdoor, chainsaw and bushcraft videos. Odd.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Can women ever just fucking do their jobs?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:58:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wanna see their hands up close, top and bottom, without filters. Many an interview I conducted began and ended with asking to see an interviewee's hands.
View Quote

Yep

In that field, the hands tell the truth WRT experience.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Big fan of the shocker? She's into 3-phase...
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#19]
If they are in fact Electricians, I'll guarantee they don't do any work. I've worked on commercial jobsites that had a reasonably attractive woman as a helper/laborer. She didn't have to do shit! Guys from other trades would rush over to "help" her lift, carry or move any material. Even guys that weren't even in the same trade! It was funny as well as pathetic. Like when a woman comes into GD.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Those girls are more worried about their instagram than their job. Pull your hair back and stop posting pictures if you wanna work. If you wanna cock tease then stop pretending to work
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It doesn’t. Do your job and don’t fuck people at work.

Women break those two rules all the time, especially in male dominated fields.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why do Europeans always wear those synthetic looking pants? I see it in outdoor, chainsaw and bushcraft videos. Odd.
View Quote

As opposed to what? Jeans and Carhartts suck for work. The synthetic is usually only an outer reinforced layer(Cordura).
Most all my work clothes are the 'European-style'...Blaklader, Mascot, CAT, Duluth Tech...
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#24]
That’s great and sexy.  Granted, on my house or project, last thing I want is a bunch of tradesmen fucking around doing shit on social media and not paying attention to what I’m paying them for.  Oh, I’d also not like to have shit burn down because you were too distracted fucking off not doing your job safely.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:13:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If they are in fact Electricians, I'll guarantee they don't do any work. I've worked on commercial jobsites that had a reasonably attractive woman as a helper/laborer. She didn't have to do shit! Guys from other trades would rush over to "help" her lift, carry or move any material. Even guys that weren't even in the same trade! It was funny as well as pathetic. Like when a woman comes into GD.
View Quote
When the .mil started allowing women into combat support units it was a big problem for us. I ran a shop with 6 maintenance bays, I could look out the office window and could tell with a glance which bay had a female working in it, just look for the one with all the guys standing around a piece of equipment.

The guys were just as much to blame as the women, the guys were like a bunch of bucks in rut and the women enjoyed the attention.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen very competent women in the trades as well as my example above. Pay attention, listen, learn. Women often aren't as strong as men but they can be just as smart. Tell your daughter not to be discouraged but it will be an uphill battle. Once she earns the respect of her fellow workers she will be accepted. You don't earn their respect by dressing as a TikTok thot on the job.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#27]
1+2. I'll have a cmca sammich, please. With mayo.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

My boss hired a reasonably attractive female that one of the foreman  happened to be boning. That crew covered for her for 6 months saying she was awesome and learning well. Finally about half the crew came to me and said she was a joke and hadn’t done work basically the whole 6 months. The other half of the crew was simping so hard for her that they straight up lied to my face when I asked.

Shortly after the foreman that was fucking her was off for a few days and she got moved to my crew. Day one she did literally nothing all day. She was going around the site picking up rocks and looking at them like they were diamonds, and fucking around on her phone. She also danced a lot. I fired her.

I think there was some weird mental deficiency there, but either way she stood no chance because that crew let her get away with murder from day one. If a dude had pulled the shit she did he would have got his ass beat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of the chemical companies are really pushing hiring women…

As far as getting respect, just know your shit and don’t mind some friendly joking around…like most “male” jobs

A couple of the best operators in the the unit I deal with in my plant are women. It helps that they are smart and actually understand how the unit works vs a couple of the guys that still don’t after a decade of working there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Same thots, different platform....

No different from the ones on YouTube, Insta, etc....

Annnnnd, unfortunately they won't go away cuz of the simps who keep watching them...

ETA: Those airbrushed thots must have done the electrical and plumbing at my new place....I already had to replace the sockets for the dryer and am working on the one in the bathroom. I also was smelling something burning and thankfully I couldn't stand the light fixture in the kitchen. Well, when I changed it, burning smell gone. Today I get to work on the toilet flange!!! Yippee!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Pics
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

People with smooth, unscarred hands don't work with them. It's not about callouses. If you've spent even a few months cutting/threading conduit or pulling wire, you'll have the marks to prove it.
View Quote

There have been times my hands were so calloused, I would sand them on brushed concrete...
Since I put down the hacksaw and put on safety gloves, 20+ years ago, my hands rarely get damaged.
The only time I really get any callouses, these days, is when I'm twisting wire nuts for at least a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too have worked most of my life in male dominant fields, but I'm also a male. You are giving excellent advice. I've worked with a good number of women over the years and my opinion of that is fairly low as a result. The reason being is that I've worked with women that could pull their weight in spite of the strength difference, but most choose not to. The few exceptions would get a sterling recommendation from me any day, the rest would make me step across the street to avoid them. The vast majority of women in the manual labor fields will find a guy to do hard/dirty work. That may be as simple as an older, protective "dad" or it could require light flirtation or more. As fathers we kinda tend to create this situation though. Assigning those sort of tasks to brothers or ourselves to save our princesses from lowering herself to that is the root. Most of the badass women I've known had dads that raised them like they would a son.

@onlineallthetime I hope your daughter is looking into the I&C field. Texas is full of opportunities there and she'll have no trouble breaking $100k/yr right out of TSTC. It's also a more "civilized" trade than electrician.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does.  Every single thing you do or don't do will be scrutinized and somehow assigned to the fact that you're a woman.  Every thread here about a guy fucking up, the individual, rightly so, gets blamed for fucking up.  Either he's a dumbass, forgot his training, let his ego get in the way, whatever----it's on him.  A woman fucks up?  It's because she's a woman and that's why women shouldn't be working in that field.  

You're one of the ones ALWAYS painting with that bigass brush.  I don't recall you ever saying anything not negative about a woman, ever.  ,

"Can't women ever just do their fucking job?"  Well, yes.  They do every day.  It isn't their fault some people choose to focus on the ones using their looks for attention (ironically, while also insisting that all a woman has of value is.....her looks).  

And hilariously, 3 posts after yours is one talking about how all the men are constantly rushing over to do her job for her.   It doesn't matter that they're the instigators.  It doesn't matter that she doesn't ask them to.  It doesn't matter that she's likely quite capable of doing it herself and expects to do so.  She gets the blame.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've seen very competent women in the trades as well as my example above. Pay attention, listen, learn. Women often aren't as strong as men but they can be just as smart. Tell your daughter not to be discouraged but it will be an uphill battle. Once she earns the respect of her fellow workers she will be accepted. You don't earn their respect by dressing as a TikTok thot on the job.
View Quote

We (and she) agree 100%.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife had a very successful career as a Builder in the USN Seabees. 22 years of service and retired as a Chief Petty Officer.

It took a lot of hard work, she avoided the trap of getting an easy office assignment and fought hard to stay on projects. She focused on becoming an expert in her trade, pulling her weight on the job site and as she moved up in the ranks teaching and taking care of her troops. The people on her projects would work hard for her and her projects were always finished on time or a head of schedule. I'm very proud of what she accomplished.

Being a female in a male dominated environment can be a positive and a negative. All eyes are upon you, when you do good everyone notices but when you do bad Everyone Notices. It's a difficult road. With hard work, staying professional, avoiding the personal drama on the job site and not becoming a stereotype it can be a rewarding career.

View Quote

Pfft....

The Army putting me in an Engineer battalion is what made me decide to get out.

I wasn't fucking or sucking anyone of them....I actually came to do work. Well, that didn't bode well with them. There was this ugly, married, no tits White officer who they had their way with and she was the butt of the battalion jokes - but she got away with being a shitty officer.

Plus, I was the only non-White person there too.

Anytime I see a castle or Essayons thing, I fucking get PTSD.

Fuck the Army for using me as one of their "integration" bullshit tests.

ETA: Didn't take me long to see what the 411 was. In past assignments, I had my nails done and wore at least lipstick..NOT THERE. It got to the point where I didn't even bathe after PT, I'd just put on my BDUs and go to work.

And, I have classified Army Engineers as "grunts who can actually do math"
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I too have worked most of my life in male dominant fields, but I'm also a male. You are giving excellent advice. I've worked with a good number of women over the years and my opinion of that is fairly low as a result. The reason being is that I've worked with women that could pull their weight in spite of the strength difference, but most choose not to. The few exceptions would get a sterling recommendation from me any day, the rest would make me step across the street to avoid them. The vast majority of women in the manual labor fields will find a guy to do hard/dirty work. That may be as simple as an older, protective "dad" or it could require light flirtation or more. As fathers we kinda tend to create this situation though. Assigning those sort of tasks to brothers or ourselves to save our princesses from lowering herself to that is the root. Most of the badass women I've known had dads that raised them like they would a son.

@onlineallthetime I hope your daughter is looking into the I&C field. Texas is full of opportunities there and she'll have no trouble breaking $100k/yr right out of TSTC. It's also a more "civilized" trade than electrician.
View Quote

Yes, she's getting an associate's in instrumentation and will be following up with more specialized certifications.  There's one in particular my husband is pushing for her to get but I don't know the details.  When it came time for career decisions she waffled back and forth on a couple that involved her *passions.*  Finally decided she'd prefer a clock in/clock out type that pays well enough to fund her passions as hobbies.  

I think she'll be alright.  Good head on her shoulders, very smart (made President's List every semester so far), great work ethic, definitely not even a little bit afraid of getting dirty (as you say, raised them like they would a son) and not at all the type to attempt to capitalize on her looks.  She's a beauty but doesn't think so.  Spends 99% of her time in jeans, t-shirt, ponytail and no makeup.  I have to ask her to please put in a little effort if we're going out to eat or something.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There have been times my hands were so calloused, I would sand them on brushed concrete...
Since I put down the hacksaw and put on safety gloves, 20+ years ago, my hands rarely get damaged.
The only time I really get any callouses, these days, is when I'm twisting wire nuts for at least a couple weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People with smooth, unscarred hands don't work with them. It's not about callouses. If you've spent even a few months cutting/threading conduit or pulling wire, you'll have the marks to prove it.

My hands are pretty scarred up. First major one was from a box cutter a friend was operating when I was 16 working at a grocery store & helping him throw out frozen. 6 stitches on the second knuckle. That same finger decades later got majorly tore up when I was cutting some sheet metal & I gave myself a huge gash on my last knuckle. Over a year before the tendons healed & I could straighten it.

I’ve cut through work gloves so often I don’t even bother wearing them. Fine control is more advantageous to me than minor protection.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
1, 2
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm sure they are grounded young women.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#41]
P= I xE
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Those girls are more worried about their instagram than their job. Pull your hair back and stop posting pictures if you wanna work. If you wanna cock tease then stop pretending to work
View Quote

Pull the hair back ,  first time it gets caught in a spinning drill chuck and said drill smacks them in the face or pulls a chunk of scalp out is a memberable moment .   Probably end up being a work comp claim .
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#43]
So many pathetic simps in this world. Feminized males are worse than feminazi females.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Do they install lighting or only fans?

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Women were a mistake.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife had a very successful career as a Builder in the USN Seabees. 22 years of service and retired as a Chief Petty Officer.

It took a lot of hard work, she avoided the trap of getting an easy office assignment and fought hard to stay on projects. She focused on becoming an expert in her trade, pulling her weight on the job site and as she moved up in the ranks teaching and taking care of her troops. The people on her projects would work hard for her and her projects were always finished on time or a head of schedule. I'm very proud of what she accomplished.

Being a female in a male dominated environment can be a positive and a negative. All eyes are upon you, when you do good everyone notices but when you do bad Everyone Notices. It's a difficult road. With hard work, staying professional, avoiding the personal drama on the job site and not becoming a stereotype it can be a rewarding career.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My manager is a female in a male dominated business. We sat together in a room where she was the only female and the majority of the people in that room were male customers.

She completely changed how they were expecting us to handle the deal (in our favor) and had the Plant Manager eating out of her hand. It was pretty damn incredible.

We’ve known each other for a long time and sometimes butt heads, but she knows our business and, if you you can get her pointed in the same direction as you, she’s an unstoppable force.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It does.  Every single thing you do or don't do will be scrutinized and somehow assigned to the fact that you're a woman.  Every thread here about a guy fucking up, the individual, rightly so, gets blamed for fucking up.  Either he's a dumbass, forgot his training, let his ego get in the way, whatever----it's on him.  A woman fucks up?  It's because she's a woman and that's why women shouldn't be working in that field.  

You're one of the ones ALWAYS painting with that bigass brush.  I don't recall you ever saying anything not negative about a woman, ever.  ,

"Can't women ever just do their fucking job?"  Well, yes.  They do every day.  It isn't their fault some people choose to focus on the ones using their looks for attention (ironically, while also insisting that all a woman has of value is.....her looks).  

And hilariously, 3 posts after yours is one talking about how all the man are constantly rushing over to do her job for her.   It doesn't matter that they're the instigators.  It doesn't matter that she doesn't ask them to.  It doesn't matter that she's likely quite capable of doing it herself and expects to do so.  She gets the blame.
View Quote

Because they don’t actually want to be  working in that field, just like the girls in these videos. I was in the Infantry and now own a construction company. No women Infantry when I was in, but we occasionally had female FOs attached to us. Those did their job and didn’t fuck our guys and create a bunch of drama. No issues other than one of the married joes sniffing around on deployment and we shut that shit down right away.

In my business, I employ a few women. The ones in the field last an average of 2 weeks. The ones in the office do their jobs and don’t fuck the guys. So no, I’m not talking about all women.

I do paint with a broad brush. It’s called generalizing. It’s not always true but it usually is. All humans do this. I’ll also go on record as saying most no-beans chili eaters are losers. So yes, in general, women are not the best electricians. Or Infantrymen. Or weightlifters. Prove me wrong.

I disagree on everything they do or don’t do being judged as being a female. The issue specific to this thread- making dancing tiktok videos while taking your clothes off at work- is something I’ve only seen from women.

I think I already addressed your “3 posts down” point. It’s up to the supervisors to shit it down. There will always be horny men and there will always be women that exploit it. Both suck and need to control that shit at work.

I do have positive thoughts on women, that’s just not the threads created here. Notice I never create these. All of the threads about women on this site are either about dating tips or complaining about them(divorce, mgtow, etc). So this isn’t the place for pats on the back for being a woman. That’s what Reddit is for.

My thoughts on gender are as follows: men are physically stronger and generally better at logical decision making. Women are better at overall communication and nurturing. Both are required. If this offends you then, again, Reddit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Sure beats plumber's crack
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Pfft....

The Army putting me in an Engineer battalion is what made me decide to get out.

View Quote
The Army...

Different worlds I guess. Seabees are a different breed, we even share little in common with the rest of our Navy brethren. During my time we operated more like a civilian construction company (with guns) than a military unit, which was what our roots were.

When females were integrated into Mobile Construction Battalions in 1995 my wife (a senior E-5 at the time) was one of the 1st enlisted women assigned to NMCB-5. She was put in charge of a (failing) project and ending up getting it completed on schedule. Females that worked hard, knew their job, pulled their weight and avoided personal relationships with their co-workers did well, were respected and were rewarded, those that didn't weren't. There are always outliers, but it was mostly true.

When I was a maintenance supervisor and had my own platoon, my only concern was: Were you an asset to me or were you a liability. I didn't care if you were white, black, brown, purple, male, female or "other".
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top