Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Supply and demand. Make it 200,000$.  I’m sure the shortages wouldn’t last.
And before you say that’s absurd, that’s what they spend on a travel nurse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You apparently have no clue how much nurses make. Most the RNs in my hospital earn $50-$75./hr. We use traveling nurses not because wages are too low, but because there simply are not enough nurses to meet demand. A lot of old(er) nurses retired and got out of nursing, and the younger generations would rather be Tik Tokers or YouTuber Streamers than laborers.

Supply and demand. Make it 200,000$.  I’m sure the shortages wouldn’t last.
And before you say that’s absurd, that’s what they spend on a travel nurse.

Admin types are extremely allergic to raising wages. Like full on anaphylaxis!

Admin types would much rather continuously pay a temporary wage 300% of their staff wages to fill 33% of their staff positions with travelers than simply raise wages 15% across the board to actually recruit and retain permanent staff.

It's fucking insane. And they all do it which makes a permanent market for travelers.

Then they go into the red and decide that maybe we don't need any staff after all... hoping they can shut down the traveler market. But it turns out you actually need staff to care for patients to have revenue. If you don't have staff, you can't take patients plus it makes life hard on staff who then leave in a vicious cycle.

Fucking MBAs trying to circumvent supply and demand...
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Supply and demand. Make it 200,000$.  I'm sure the shortages wouldn't last.
And before you say that's absurd, that's what they spend on a travel nurse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You apparently have no clue how much nurses make. Most the RNs in my hospital earn $50-$75./hr. We use traveling nurses not because wages are too low, but because there simply are not enough nurses to meet demand. A lot of old(er) nurses retired and got out of nursing, and the younger generations would rather be Tik Tokers or YouTuber Streamers than laborers.

Cost would just get passed on to patients in the form of higher costs, and most hospitals are starting to pare way back on traveling nurses when they can due to contract rates climbing so high so quickly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Streaming plus OTA TV is actually a thing in some hospitals, and will become more common.  Its a joke, but half-serious that it will be a viable option in a few years.

Only hospital owned or operated ambulances are covered by EMTALA, and the 250yd rule is real.  If the free loading no insurance patient never sets foot in that zone...
View Quote

And they’re also governed by state laws.  Ours were closest appropriate facility or pt’s choice within reason
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Average RN wage in the U.S. is $82,750, and in many large metro areas the average is $120,000. Hardly "slave wages" as you allude to.

View Quote

And those are heavily skewed by California
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Stop housing homeless indigent alcoholics and drug addicts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Really? So who do you need and not need?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.

lmao...you don't need all those people
Really? So who do you need and not need?

75% of those can be let go
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Do what a hospital in Richmond does for its infusion center. The main hospital is in a poor area which allows it to purchase the infusion drugs at a heavily discounted price through a government program. They then open satellite branches in wealthier areas where they can administer the discounted drugs and bill their insurance full price. The difference in price of one vial of Keytruda (two are used per treatment session) is about $22,000. They pocket the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fire the administrators
View Quote

This.

My wife works for a large hospital system that keeps creating new positions for various "Chief ______ Officers". Each position also has to include staff for various assistants, so one position probably costs the system at least $500k.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Admin types would much rather continuously pay a temporary wage 300% of their staff wages to fill 33% of their staff positions with travelers than simply raise wages 15% across the board to actually recruit and retain permanent staff.

It's fucking insane. And they all do it which makes a permanent market for travelers.

Then they go into the red and decide that maybe we don't need any staff after all... hoping they can shut down the traveler market. But it turns out you actually need staff to care for patients to have revenue. If you don't have staff, you can't take patients plus it makes life hard on staff who then leave in a vicious cycle.

View Quote

It was put very well by one of the travelers: “I’ve saved up x years salary from traveling.  If they don’t pay well, I don’t have to work.”
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
outsourcing their IT dept
View Quote

That does not need to happen and would result in even more issues providing care. What they need to do is get paid by the government for all of the mandatory shit they do FOR the government bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
  • Reuse syringes, tongue depressors, cotton balls, band aids. Nurses can take turns taking the used ones home each night and wash in their kitchen dishwasher. Just remember to use HOT water to sanitize.
  • Don't waste time categorizing blood by type. Just store it all in old gatorade bottles and dispense as needed.
  • Don't change that paper table on the examination bed between patients; in fact just sell the existing stock you have and then just wipe the bed with a wet cloth between patients.
  • Stop using exam gloves. Get washable cotton ones from Home Depot.
  • Tell the Dr to spend max 1 minute per patient to diagnose and treat. Line up all patients in a single file line in the hallway and have the doc go down the line treating that way; bypass any HIPAA concerns about patients overhearing others sensitive info.
  • Turn off the TV in the waiting room to save electricity
  • Sell the waiting room chairs
  • Charge patients to park their cars
  • Require that patients bring their own printer paper and pens to fill out necessary forms
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's a good way to lose a lot of money thanks to EMTALA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quit giving out free ER visits to illegal assholes who have a sniffle, who never intend to repay the hospital for its services.
That's a good way to lose a lot of money thanks to EMTALA.
I hope everyone here knows this is a govt problem, and the hospital's hands are tied.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Employer is having a competition to win gift cards for suggestions on ways for them to save money.  Anyone have suggestions?  Major hospital that loses money in all the normal ways.
View Quote

What mine is doing is giving dismal raises.  They are hemorrhaging staff and not replacing them.  They also drag their feet for 14-30 days to cut a PO for parts and service, and then pay on a 45 day term after invoice. They also have a team, that has as its entire purpose, to do everything possible to not admit a patient.  

They think they are saving money.  Surely they would give you a $10 gift card for these excellent suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Imagine that your hospital is part of a multinational corporation.  MBA admins and bean counters are in a number of third world countries, working out of a shithole appartment, making these decisions.  They have never been in a hospital, probably weren't even born in one.  

Welcome to hell.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How much are they paying the CEO because the last on my wife worked at five years ago was getting a million a year.
View Quote
Where I retired from, a "non-profit" system, the CEO was getting a couple million for a yearly bonus on top on his salary, while departments did without the tools they needed to do the job.

THen there's the jobs they create for friends of the administrators that serve no purpose, you would be surprised how many of those there are.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Average RN wage in the U.S. is $82,750, and in many large metro areas the average is $120,000. Hardly "slave wages" as you allude to.

No they aren't. Median RN wages is the U.S. is $77,600.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can save a shit ton by reusing medical supplies.

View Quote

you want some shit that was used on some junky meth addict illegal to be used on you or a family member?
you also want to rely on the same type of person who probably does the decontamination and sterilization.

Oh, get rid of RN magnet designations, and eliminate jcaho

I am in the supply side of things.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where I retired from, a "non-profit" system, the CEO was getting a couple million for a yearly bonus on top on his salary, while departments did without the tools they needed to do the job.

THen there's the jobs they create for friends of the administrators that serve no purpose, you would be surprised how many of those there are.
View Quote

Just like the government.  Only the government could fuck it up worse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just what I thought, you have no clue about running a large business.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the contrary, any business that hires anyone with "diversity" or "community" in their job title is bloated. Those people are a net negative on the productivity of any and all organizations.

The large business just have the funds to eat the expenses.  Hell, they lobby for the stupid laws to make it harder for smaller business to become competitive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#22]
If I was trying to save money at a hospital, the first place I’d look is charge capture and reimbursement rates.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stop housing homeless indigent alcoholics and drug addicts.
View Quote

What would the VA do?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's anything like the one my wife just spent 2 weeks in, don't clean the rooms/bathrooms.  

Leave that up to the patients family.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Fire all the useless piece of shit sycophantic administration........
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
  • Reuse syringes, tongue depressors, cotton balls, band aids. Nurses can take turns taking the used ones home each night and wash in their kitchen dishwasher. Just remember to use HOT water to sanitize.
  • Don't waste time categorizing blood by type. Just store it all in old gatorade bottles and dispense as needed.
  • Don't change that paper table on the examination bed between patients; in fact just sell the existing stock you have and then just wipe the bed with a wet cloth between patients.
  • Stop using exam gloves. Get washable cotton ones from Home Depot.
  • Tell the Dr to spend max 1 minute per patient to diagnose and treat. Line up all patients in a single file line in the hallway and have the doc go down the line treating that way; bypass any HIPAA concerns about patients overhearing others sensitive info.
  • Turn off the TV in the waiting room to save electricity
  • Sell the waiting room chairs
  • Charge patients to park their cars
  • Require that patients bring their own printer paper and pens to fill out necessary forms
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

THIS

Except some hospital systems said said "no more travel nurses and only minimal raises" so nurses are quitting... and they increased patient to nurse ratios to make up for staff losses.... and more nurses are quitting... but the CEO makes 2.8mil
View Quote

Nurses are quitting...

To become travel nurses.

Hospital and clinic "administrators" have to be the dumbest, most non educated group of "managers" on the planet.

They have no idea how to run a schedule, and they rely on part timers far too much.

Then when no one wants to take a job at part time with no benefits, they bring in travel nurses at 2-3 times more than what a full time person would cost them.

Granted, a bulk of the nurses and other direct patient care staff are female, and young, so there is a good chance within a year or two of hire they will be gone for months at a time, but if they just factored that in, staffed with full timers and brought in contract or part time to cover those gaps, they would save a ton of money.

I got to see the really dirty side of healthcare for many years and it was depressing.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So, who is going to run the hospital and do all the essential non-patient care pesky stuff like CEO, CFO, COO, accounting, negotiating contracts, ensuring compliance, QA/AI, data/reporting, etc. etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire the administrators

The people who actually do that work now, which is not the people in charge of those things. Most of our executive leadership can barely wipe their asses without their Admin Assistant.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Play offense

Get a total joint program going and get some total joint surgeons and spine surgeons

Do well in bpci, cjr, etc.

Hire a insurance negotiation expert.

Merge with another hospital system and tell the insurance companies to pay up since you doubled in market share.

Get a shitty low cost EMR that barely works.

Have residents or PAs do all the work.

Treat and street your Medicaid

Start your own Medicare Advantage plan.

Start a joint venture ASC with your local ortho group.

You know, the usual stuff of healthcare shenanigans
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
fire the staff and replace them with jiffylube employees
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I actually sell a solution that has a huge ROI-positive impact for hospitals and health systems.  And I mean huge.  

PM me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine did away with respiratory therapists and made the nurses do it.

Closed the cafeteria on weekends.

My favorite was outsourcing the oncology clinics to a place 45 minutes away to save money on a lease payment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If it's anything like the one my wife just spent 2 weeks in, don't clean the rooms/bathrooms.  

Leave that up to the patients family.  
View Quote

Housekeeping is the cheap seats but guess who gets cut first...
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#34]
For cost savings, look at all of the stuff that was stocked in the room, never used, and gets thrown out upon discharge. Now you also need to pay to throw it away.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Have a vending machine that sells cell phone chargers in the ER and at the main entrance, and get one that takes credit cards?

Have vending machines for drinks including coffee on the units, contract with a vendor, and charge them a percentage.   Specify in the contract broken machines will be repaired within an hour or they lose the contract or are charged a fee for every hour they don't work.  Profit off the fees when they don't fix them?  

Offer a comfort package to family staying with a patient in the gift shop.   A pillow and blanket for $20?  

Give your staff pizza parties instead of raises? (this one is a joke)

A lot of it is in billing, like bill the insurance right the first time.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Give your staff pizza parties instead of raises? (this one is a joke)
View Quote

The joke is a reality. "Pizza party" memes are fucking everywhere on the nursing groups for a reason.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#37]
stop taking medicaid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Cut all of the shitty nurses that sat around and took pics for Tik tok / IG when the Rona was the “planet killer”. Stop treating homeless people for three hots and a cot since they don’t pay shit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cost would just get passed on to patients in the form of higher costs, and most hospitals are starting to pare way back on traveling nurses when they can due to contract rates climbing so high so quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local hospitals started "in house" travel nursing agencies, where you sign a 3 month contract directly with the hospital.  Nurses get the higher travel pay and the hospital saves the 30% that the agency skims.  My wife is about to start her second contract with them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#40]
The same way every corporation does: cut down the work force to maintain the executives lucrative salaries and bonuses. That’s all they really care about.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I will choose different medications when at facilities that have the cost indicators next to the choices in order sets
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Stop with the bullshit marketing.  

Why does Advent Health sponsor the Daytona Racetrack?

People go to a hospital for elective surgery because their insurance covers it.  People go to the ER because it’s close.  No one goes to a hospital because they sponsor a race car team
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Local hospitals started "in house" travel nursing agencies, where you sign a 3 month contract directly with the hospital.  Nurses get the higher travel pay and the hospital saves the 30% that the agency skims.  My wife is about to start her second contract with them.
View Quote

So why not just increase wages? I don’t get it
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Take the entire HR department and crucify them. Have the LPNs and the night shift doctor keep them hydrated and pumped full of broad spectrum antibiotics to make them live as long as possible.

Come to think of it, make that nationwide.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's always been the question.  If they had just increased wages to begin with, they wouldn't have lost all their staff to travel agencies.  I guess they view higher wages as a permanent cost and want to gamble that it's cheaper to pay more now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn straight!
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That's always been the question.  If they had just increased wages to begin with, they wouldn't have lost all their staff to travel agencies.  I guess they view higher wages as a permanent cost and want to gamble that it's cheaper to pay more now.
View Quote

In my department 1/4 of the staff just walked out to take “travel jobs” an hour down the road. They asked for more money before they left but no. So guess what we are doing. Bringing in a bunch of travelers.  It’s lunacy.  I may have to do the same thing. I mean I want to go to my kids school functions and spend Christmas at home but I may not have a choice here soon.  10% year over year inflation  and they throw me 2.5% raise.   I’m going backwards
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That used to be a $50K fine for each occurrence.  

EMTALA certainly has its pros and cons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you for real?

Extremely illegal

That used to be a $50K fine for each occurrence.  

EMTALA certainly has its pros and cons.

It happens. I was an EMT for years. Not bribery but definitely certain patients often go certain places unless they request/demand a particular hospital.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How much are they paying the CEO because the last on my wife worked at five years ago was getting a million a year.
View Quote
The CEO of the one here is making $8m/yr back in 2015. They spent $14m renovating the front of the hospital a few years ago but yet the ER rooms have cracks in the drywall by the ceiling.

Mercy said the city isnt big enough for 2 hospitals when they were asked if they were planning to build a new one on the NE side. Well St Mary's came in and started building one on the east side. Lo and behold Mercy decides to build a new hospital (smaller one thats mainly an er and urgent care with a few rooms). Actually got it done before the new St Mary's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Downsize administrator staff. Fire a few vice presidents. Make it a better place to work so they don't have to have to staff the entire hospital with travelers.

Should I PM my address for the gift cards?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top