Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Salt water crocs exist in all equatorial regions.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I read a really good book years ago that was similar to that. Leviathan I think? Lots of books named that, I couldn't find what I read. Synopsis is a company creates a dragon on an island, dragon gets loose, main character is the site electrician. It had a green cover.

Edit- here it is.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/leviathan_james-byron-huggins/393313/?resultid=ce26ce42-16a4-4d2e-943c-41527dbbbf46#edition=1604200&idiq=1491572
View Quote
Hmm.
Two bucks on Kindle...
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I am only interested in reading theories that they are real or were real.

If anyone has any schitzo links I'd love to see them
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dragons were real and then the universe was reset creating the myth.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
On the same note, every culture on the planet has a vampire mythology.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The phlebotomists don't want you to know that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmm.
Two bucks on Kindle...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read a really good book years ago that was similar to that. Leviathan I think? Lots of books named that, I couldn't find what I read. Synopsis is a company creates a dragon on an island, dragon gets loose, main character is the site electrician. It had a green cover.

Edit- here it is.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/leviathan_james-byron-huggins/393313/?resultid=ce26ce42-16a4-4d2e-943c-41527dbbbf46#edition=1604200&idiq=1491572
Hmm.
Two bucks on Kindle...

It's been a while but I remember enjoying it. There's a pretty heavy spiritual theme as it goes along.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Mythology of dragons? NO culture that i know of has. Dragons in Europe are a result of fantasy writing.

Now, symbols of something, like the Chinese and Japanese, representing certain (religious) spirits, yes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember seeing this as a kid. Always fascinated me.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]
One could ask the same question re: god, angels, wild men/Samsquatch, shapeshifting werewolves, witches, etc, etc, etc…..

Why do some gods need human sacrifice?  Hell, even god of the Old Testament wanted burnt offerings.  Cain & Abel were doing that.

Why did ancient Greeks think the “soul” resided in the liver?

The Human Condition is odd….
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Same reason people invented stories about God(s), needed a captivating campfire tale. Didn’t have the Tok to keep ‘‘em entertained back then.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s easy to imagine a giant lizard that can fly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One could ask the same question re: god, angels, wild men/Samsquatch, shapeshifting werewolves, witches, etc, etc, etc…..

Why do some gods need human sacrifice?  Hell, even god of the Old Testament wanted burnt offerings.  Cain & Abel were doing that.

Why did ancient Greeks think the “soul” resided in the liver?

The Human Condition is odd….
View Quote

I passed over a podcast about how cultures around the globe independently used white for wedding dresses.

I thought "interesting if true, but just don't care"
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
They all smoked the same shit at one time and since the brain is wired everywhere the same it came up with the same fantasy vision.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

India being one of the oldest......lots of folklore about the Vetala
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Combination of dinosaur fossils and large monitor lizards.

Very slim chance of a couple dinosaurs or something similar living long enough to be seen, maybe even hunted, by humans, and some more mythology grew out of that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Creganford has a channel that specializes in Proto-Indo-European roots of ancient mythologies.

Fighting Dragons: A Comparative Mythology

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
When people ask questions like this I like to reserve part of my brain to think "Maybe, just maybe they were exactly as described and existed."

Not much though, you'd think some king would have a sweet passed down dragon head or something
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Someone long ago found a fossil pterodactyl and, well, that was that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]
How do you explain the myth of god/gods across human cultures?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ve been wondering why dragons don’t have balls.

You would think a creature that can breath fire would have a huge set of gonads but nope, no balls.

Think how different Pete’s Dragon would have been?

Or how cool it would have been if Bard shot Smaug in the dick instead of some stupid missing scale?

It would have been high fives and beers for life for Bard and everyone would be like, that was so cool when you shot Smaug in the junk but noooooo.

View Quote

Reptiles don't have scrotums
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like the Jiangshi.   Stories of corporeal and incorporeal spirits are so common.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Stories/folklore travel. Same reason we have similar stories throughout many regions/races.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

We've got great big lizards today. And we ain't the only generation of humanity to have discovered fossils.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't thought of this topic.

Mainly because I cant remember the last time I discussed dragons with anyone.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Dragons are winged serpents like the Chinese version - long snake like bodies and large wings.  Western culture made them big fat mofos with small wings.

Symbols of the winged serpent go back to Sumerian culture and Mesoamerica.  It represented their highest god who came to earth with other gods to teach humanity forbidden knowledge.

Ancient aliens stuff has the winged serpent all being the same "God" but under different names like Enki, Thoth, Quetzalcoatl, Viracocha, Kukulkan.  The biblical reference would be Lucifer.

The ruins of Puma Punku have an arch (Gate of the Sun) that depicts the arrival of Veracocha:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_of_the_Sun

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe stories handed down and embellished from the encounter between Eve and the flying serpent in the Garden of Eden.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What film is this I need to watch it…
@DistanceX
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What film is this I need to watch it…
@DistanceX

Rulons meet the Borg.

A ChatGPT exclusive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I dunno, but it would be badass if Smaug was real.

What round for Smaug?
View Quote

Ask Bard.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do any of the tribes/people from the Americas have dragon stories (pre-Columbus)? I think it is an eastern hemisphere thing.

View Quote

American indians did find fossil bones, and came up with stories about the creatures they came from, the same as the Europeans and Asians.

Here's a book about the subject:
Fossil Legends of the First Americans by Adrienne Mayor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691130493?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People found fossil bones of dinosaurs, mammoths and so on... and interpreted them the best they could.
View Quote

This. We've been doing quarries and mines for a few thousand years. Someone dug sonething up and tried to wrap their minds around it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If flying dragons were real, they'd have thin hollow bones which wouldn't fossilize easily. The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's, dragons have been portrayed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior, and in parts of the world where dinosaur fossils aren't found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If flying dragons were real, they'd have thin hollow bones which wouldn't fossilize easily. The discovery of Dinosaur fossils didn't happen until the 1800's, dragons have been portrayed for hundreds if not thousands of years prior, and in parts of the world where dinosaur fossils aren't found.

And if they were in fact fire breathing they likely had an acidic mixture within their circulatory system, meaning when they died their structure could more easily dissolve.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Adrienne Mayor wrote another book on this topic:  "The First Fossil Hunters: Dinosaurs, Mammoths, and Myth in Greek and Roman Times."

I read it some years ago... it turns out that it was common for giant fossil bones (such as mammoth or wooly rhino) to be thought to be the bones of giants and heros of ancient times... some were installed in temples!

Here is a Greek vase depicting a legend of Homer, of the "Monster of Troy"....

Notice the monster is a skull sticking out of a cliff face!

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Adrienne Mayor wrote another book on this topic:  "The First Fossil Hunters: Dinosaurs, Mammoths, and Myth in Greek and Roman Times."

I read it some years ago... it turns out that it was common for giant fossil bones (such as mammoth or wooly rhino) to be thought to be the bones of giants and heros of ancient times... some were installed in temples!

Here is a Greek vase depicting a legend of Homer, of the "Monster of Troy"....

Notice the monster is a skull sticking out of a cliff face!

https://i.stack.imgur.com/SUFoB.jpg
View Quote

There's a number of European Churches that display Dragon or Giant bones still. It was a more common practice in the early church, with Dragon bones flanking the entry or installed in the Narthex, or sometimes behind the alter.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think the Chinese dragon is related to meteors/fireballs. Maybe they all are.

Fossils too.

Seems weird people would think mammoths were cyclops since we hunted them for millennia.

Sea level has risen about 100 meters since the last glacial maximum, with many rapid events along the way. The biggest one was at the beginning of the holocene. There's reason to believe that one started off with a sudden event like an ocean strike and is likely the original source of the global flood stories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why European dragons have wings and the Oriental ones don't, even though they can also fly?

I think the Chinese dragon is related to meteors/fireballs. Maybe they all are.

Fossils too.

Seems weird people would think mammoths were cyclops since we hunted them for millennia.

Quoted:
Epic flood stories are fairly universal across many cultures all over the world too. AJ mentions this a lot on The Why Files podcasts.  These are either stories that have staying power due to some sort of psychological uniformity in humans, or something made a huge impact on everybody all over the world to the point it's still talked about.

Sea level has risen about 100 meters since the last glacial maximum, with many rapid events along the way. The biggest one was at the beginning of the holocene. There's reason to believe that one started off with a sudden event like an ocean strike and is likely the original source of the global flood stories.

I did not know about meteorites.  Don't Chinese link dragons to snakes in their mythology?  

The big floods theory is interesting.  Here in the NW there was a very large event millennia ago when a large ice dam broke out and released the waters of a massive lake behind it.  The very large stream flowed towards the Pacific Ocean and wrecked havoc in its path.  That was only found out recently when satellite and aerial photos showed the ripple-like formations left by water flowing at high speeds that look like hills if observed from the ground.  The same way it happened here, it likely also happened elsewhere and folklore did the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_floods

How many species went extinct during our recorded History?  How many likely also disappeared before it and were only recorded in tales and bedtime stories?  Dragons might have been one of those and got a bit fantasized over time.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

And some recent medical research show how young people's blood help curing some disease and can even prolong life.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It’s easy to imagine a giant lizard that can fly.
View Quote

My mother used to say that "God won't give wings to the snakes."    

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#41]
My bosses husband was a mythology professor researching this. He died.

There is a lot of evolutionary drive behind the fear of snakes/reptiles and birds. This ingrained fear also makes for compelling storytelling.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#42]
People found fossils of dinosaurs like the t-Rex and made up stories to match those giant teeth.

Pretty easy to figure out.

China has more dragon stories and guess what more fossils.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Most of the important religious structures in ancient Greece had at least one or two dinosaur or mastodon bones buried underneath their foundations. "titans"

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Easy. They’re all Godzilla fans.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am only interested in reading theories that they are real or were real.
View Quote

Clearly the myth is due to a 1970's era pair of planes that appeared out of a time warp during the Battle of Syracuse in 212BC and then just as magically disappeared.  The telling and retelling of this occurrence over the ages morphed them into dragons.  I have video proof...

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Wadi Al-Hitan gives some insight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

I seent it
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not a big mythology guy, where they all portrayed as blood suckers?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  On the same note, every culture on the planet has a vampire mythology.

We call them insurance agents today.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My bosses husband was a mythology professor researching this. He died.

There is a lot of evolutionary drive behind the fear of snakes/reptiles and birds. This ingrained fear also makes for compelling storytelling.
View Quote

People fear snakes because they don't want to get bit. Evolutionary fear of birds?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top