BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A plump wife
And a full barn
Did no man harm.

For the record: My 60 YO wife of 35 years is 5'3" and 113 lbs. She's never been heavy except during pregnancies when she puffed up and damn near died with eclampsia the first time. Had c-sections with both kids. Her doc didn't let the second one progress as far and took that baby at 3lbs. 14 oz.

When I have told her she eats like a bird, she always said birds eat half their body weight daily.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of us aren't saying to just sit back and watch her balloon out and say nothing. We're saying be patient and understanding and work as a team instead of just being offended that she "did" this to the husband. (As if she's an employee or product that he owns and he's butthurt that he's stuck with a defective model.)

There's three ways to deal with such a situation.

Do nothing and let everyone be unhappy. (No good, not for anyone.)
Be a petulant manbaby and pout because she got fat but be a douche, impatient, unsupportive while pressuring weight loss (or worse, say nothing but silently seethe), and act like it's all about you and she "did" this to you. (No good result will come from this.)
Be part of a team and back her up. If she doesn't like being fat (almost no person likes being fat) then with support, love, compassion she can start working towards a healthy goal. (Has the highest chance of success.)

Do you have the patience and love to do it? Some here clearly don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife fights with lupus, thyroid, arthritis and bad parental lessons.

It took me a lot longer than necessary to get her to see the big picture and that I wasn't just being an ass. I was scared she'd be dead by 45.

She fought for herself and for us, she worked her ass off for 2 straight years to lose the weight, but most of all become healthy. Diet, mental, emotionally.

She'd set goals, and we'd celebrate them together.

I coached her along the entire way. Side by side. Eat what she ate, exercised, etc.

Wish you all the success, and hope you can press through the hard days.
and that's what women need. It's hard. I've been thin my whole life and I've been an athlete my entire life but menopause, arthritis and thyroid coupled with a husband who loves junk food I found myself needing to lose 40 pounds. Most women do not have my background of exercise and resolve. They need love, support and compassion.
Most of us aren't saying to just sit back and watch her balloon out and say nothing. We're saying be patient and understanding and work as a team instead of just being offended that she "did" this to the husband. (As if she's an employee or product that he owns and he's butthurt that he's stuck with a defective model.)

There's three ways to deal with such a situation.

Do nothing and let everyone be unhappy. (No good, not for anyone.)
Be a petulant manbaby and pout because she got fat but be a douche, impatient, unsupportive while pressuring weight loss (or worse, say nothing but silently seethe), and act like it's all about you and she "did" this to you. (No good result will come from this.)
Be part of a team and back her up. If she doesn't like being fat (almost no person likes being fat) then with support, love, compassion she can start working towards a healthy goal. (Has the highest chance of success.)

Do you have the patience and love to do it? Some here clearly don't.
Working as a "team" requires both.  What if one doesn't want to?
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Working as a "team" requires both.  What if one doesn't want to?
View Quote
Then the problem is unlikely to be isolated to just the weight.

It also depends on how a guy defines a "team." Based on what I've seen on ARF, a lot some men are absolutely tone-deaf to such things, hence the ARF.com curse.

But assuming that he's doing everything right on his end and she's not responding, then odds are that there are many other problems as well, not just isolated to weight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Absolute bullshit. None of us are "designed" to chow down on fast food, processed food, and sugar/corn syrup every day. That is a conscious decision to consume a piss poor diet. I love junk food, especially sweets. But I avoid them for the most part now since I am not in my 20s, playing rugby, and burning off anything I can consume faster than I can eat it. If I ate the way I did in college I would be a bowling ball. So I don't.

Women's bodies are designed to gain a small amount of weight during pregnancy (10-15% intake increase - they are eating for 1.1, not 2) to support the fetus, and then burn it off when breastfeeding. If they were designed to be fat, why did we not have an obesity problem in the 40s, 50s, or anytime before, anywhere in the world? Everyone started getting fat when things got easier, activity levels dropped, and fast food and processed food took over. Conscious lifestyle CHOICES.
View Quote
I can actually quote scientific research if you like.  I have studied this very extensively.  In fact scientist removed the ovaries (surgically put into menopause) laboratory rats and they found that in every case the rats became obese.  They tried restricting diet, rats became obese, they tried forcing exercise, rats became obese, the only way they could keep rats an ideal weight was through forced diet and exercise and then the rats failed to live to their life expectancy.   My point is yes women are designed to carry more fat.  Historically speaking we were not designed to be crossfit warriors.

I personally have been an athlete my entire life and minored in health and nutrition.  I became fat when injury prevented me from exercising and now am struggling losing it.

Women's bodies are designed to carry fat to carry children.  Any woman with a C cup or better is going to struggle with weight loss unless they are able to commit to exercise and diet forever.  Its very hard to teach our daughters to love their bodies when society can not accept what their bodies are truly designed to be.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the relationship between boob size and the ability to lose weight? Is it just a general rule of thumb? Or are larger breasts have some sort of predisposition to carrying extra bodyfat?

I can kinda see it, but I know a few gals with a generous cup size and still pretty thin.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LOL...with that attitude I don't think you need to worry too much about marriage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Which vow mentioned “until you blimp out do us part?”
I'm not married, but if it ever happens you'd better believe that will be included.
LOL...with that attitude I don't think you need to worry too much about marriage.
Haha I was thinking the EXACT same thing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can actually quote scientific research if you like.  I have studied this very extensively.  In fact scientist removed the ovaries (surgically put into menopause) laboratory rats and they found that in every case the rats became obese.  They tried restricting diet, rats became obese, they tried forcing exercise, rats became obese, the only way they could keep rats an ideal weight was through forced diet and exercise and then the rats failed to live to their life expectancy.   My point is yes women are designed to carry more fat.  Historically speaking we were not designed to be crossfit warriors.

I personally have been an athlete my entire life and minored in health and nutrition.  I became fat when injury prevented me from exercising and now am struggling losing it.

Women's bodies are designed to carry fat to carry children.  Any woman with a C cup or better is going to struggle with weight loss unless they are able to commit to exercise and diet forever.  Its very hard to teach our daughters to love their bodies when society can not accept what their bodies are truly designed to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolute bullshit. None of us are "designed" to chow down on fast food, processed food, and sugar/corn syrup every day. That is a conscious decision to consume a piss poor diet. I love junk food, especially sweets. But I avoid them for the most part now since I am not in my 20s, playing rugby, and burning off anything I can consume faster than I can eat it. If I ate the way I did in college I would be a bowling ball. So I don't.

Women's bodies are designed to gain a small amount of weight during pregnancy (10-15% intake increase - they are eating for 1.1, not 2) to support the fetus, and then burn it off when breastfeeding. If they were designed to be fat, why did we not have an obesity problem in the 40s, 50s, or anytime before, anywhere in the world? Everyone started getting fat when things got easier, activity levels dropped, and fast food and processed food took over. Conscious lifestyle CHOICES.

So women's bodies defy the laws of physics? Please explain the science.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
It's funny that most guys here complain about the size of their wife but they are mostly fat themselves.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.maplesoft.com/products/maple/new_features/images2016/mathequation.png
That just proves I like pi(e).
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's funny that most guys here complain about the size of their wife but they are mostly fat themselves.
View Quote
By my scientific calculations, that would be a correct assertion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She can get the size the Hindenburg and I'm not "kicking her to the curb". Will I still be sexually attracted to her? No, probably not. Did I still make a promise to her and to God? Yes, and unless she commits adultery, I'm sticking around.

That doesn't apply to you if you're not Christian but if marriage is so disposable, why do it in the first place?
View Quote
You should ask the numerous divorced (they call it cursed as an excuse), Bible thumpers on this site. It's always a solemn vow, until it's not, with them.

A lard bucket of a wife with no will to get back down to fighting weight is simply untenable to some/me and an aspect of personality that should be, and is easily, investigated before marriage. Otherwise, you get what you deserve. My wife wouldn't have it any other way, takes no prodding from me to motivate... Thank you God!
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:51:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Calorie restriction in the presence of hormonal dysregulation backfires.

It's relatively easy to lose weight when your hormones are functioning properly but it's nearly impossible to do so when they aren't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would recommend compassion but make a plan. I have some experience with this because I counsel over weight women regularly. Women who are more than 25# over weight suffer from multiple issues. Most often depression, over active adrenals, under active thyroid as well as insulin resistance and estrogen resistance. It is very difficult for obese women to lose weight particularly if she is big busted, works and has small children. She needs your support and compassion and she professional help from several care providers.
They could just eat less. I understand it's a self control issue but everyone can slay that dragon. It isnt impossible for anyone.
Calorie restriction in the presence of hormonal dysregulation backfires.

It's relatively easy to lose weight when your hormones are functioning properly but it's nearly impossible to do so when they aren't.
100%
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, that's a childish bullshit parody. No one here is arguing that a guy should be supportive of a ballooning wife. It possible to both encourage good eating and exercise habits in your spouse and keep your wedding vows

The only thing being argued in this thread by the side you are parodying is that a man's honor is determined in large part by his capacity to keep one of the most sacred vows a human can make. If that's offensive to you, then perhaps you need to either reorient your moral compass or just toss it out. But you can't have it both ways. You either keep your word--and your honor--or you stop giving a shit about honor altogether and "just do you."

I couldn't give two shits whether or not someone is concerned about what is becoming such an outmoded notion, but at the very least we should be honest with ourselves.
View Quote
Let me throw my cape across that mud puddle, so you may step across into my honorable, chain-mailed arms, and I'll whisper sonnets in your blubbery ears.

Life is short. Maybe because I have an awesome wife whom I love immensely, and who loves me immensely, and who both maintain a physical attraction after 20 years, I have a hard time understanding. If you are 18-65 years old, and you have no love life with the person you are allegedly in love with, (barring medical issues) your marriage stinks. In this day and age, with the knowledge & medical help available, obesity should not be a problem. I love working out and being fit. My wife is not a workout queen, but she has known from day one I am not attracted to fat chicks. She has put on maybe 10 pounds in the 23 years we've been together, and our sex life is better than ever. I just can't see remaining with someone so incompatible when our active lives are so short. You can keep your Sir Galahad chivalry, I'd take happiness over that any day. Life's too short to be miserable, but "honorable". Maybe I'd change my tune if my wife ballooned up, I don't know. But I do know she'd miss the physical part of our marriage as much as I would (which is why she won't balloon up).
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know how much weight we are talking about, but if she's still healthy and not physically slowed down, who gives a shit. Maybe its because I don't mind my women with a little meat.

This I can say with quite certainty, if you leave your Wife based purely off of physical looks, you are a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the relationship between boob size and the ability to lose weight? Is it just a general rule of thumb? Or are larger breasts have some sort of predisposition to carrying extra bodyfat?

I can kinda see it, but I know a few gals with a generous cup size and still pretty thin.
View Quote
In my many years of experience; the rest of her body will "catch up" eventually. Some sooner, some later.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say either when missionary becomes undoable due to being high centered on her belly or ... you start shopping for bags of flour the size of big dog food bags so you don't make so many trips to the grocer for the smaller 5 lb bags twice weekly

Or you catch her using impliments to wipe herself after taking a poo because its impossible to successfully do it the conventional way ( but that makes this a poop thread, and we don't wanna go there )

carry on ......
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You should ask the numerous divorced (they call it cursed as an excuse), Bible thumpers on this site. It's always a solemn vow, until it's not, with them.

A lard bucket of a wife with no will to get back down to fighting weight is simply untenable to some/me and an aspect of personality that should be, and is easily, investigated before marriage. Otherwise, you get what you deserve. My wife wouldn't have it any other way, takes no prodding from me to motivate... Thank you God!
View Quote
I agree with you completely. We definitely have an "eject" culture.

That's understandable. I couldn't ever marry a woman that insisted I clean up after myself. Hence why fiance is as filthy as me
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the laws of physics do not necessarily apply to a woman's body. Our bodies are chemical labs. A woman can conceivably gain weight on a low carb diet as her body can turn protein into glucose through acidosis. Furthermore a woman with >25 to lose can have lipid resistance and insulin resistance which can further acerbate her weight loss ability b
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I packed on a few pounds and my wife still liked me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well the laws of physics do not necessarily apply to a woman's body. Our bodies are chemical labs. A woman can conceivably gain weight on a low carb diet as her body can turn protein into glucose through acidosis. Furthermore a woman with >25 to lose can have lipid resistance and insulin resistance which can further acerbate her weight loss ability b
View Quote
If a woman 30lbs overweight, with a basal metabolic burn of 1200kcal per day eats only 1000kcal per day will she lose weight or gain weight?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a lot of it is genetic, and of course lifestyle. Also breastfeeding really helps. My wife has maintained her figure throughout having 8 children. It’s very nice, but if for some reason if she did not I’d still lover her the same and smash it at every opportunity.
Her with #7 Maybe 110 lbs.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183699/0AB84526-91CD-422F-A0C0-F04912C6A675-436055.jpg
View Quote
8 kids!?!?!

You and your wife are MAGA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let me throw my cape across that mud puddle, so you may step across into my honorable, chain-mailed arms, and I'll whisper sonnets in your blubbery ears.

Life is short. Maybe because I have an awesome wife whom I love immensely, and who loves me immensely, and who both maintain a physical attraction after 20 years, I have a hard time understanding. If you are 18-65 years old, and you have no love life with the person you are allegedly in love with, (barring medical issues) your marriage stinks. In this day and age, with the knowledge & medical help available, obesity should not be a problem. I love working out and being fit. My wife is not a workout queen, but she has known from day one I am not attracted to fat chicks. She has put on maybe 10 pounds in the 23 years we've been together, and our sex life is better than ever. I just can't see remaining with someone so incompatible when our active lives are so short. You can keep your Sir Galahad chivalry, I'd take happiness over that any day. Life's too short to be miserable, but "honorable". Maybe I'd change my tune if my wife ballooned up, I don't know. But I do know she'd miss the physical part of our marriage as much as I would (which is why she won't balloon up).
View Quote
So personal happiness above all else then? Fuck it, at least you're being honest. I'd like to think I'm being honest with myself--that I would honor my vows regardless of the effect on my personal happiness--but quite frankly, I've yet to be put through the fire so I don't know...I could just end up being a giant hypocrite.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If a woman 30lbs overweight, with a basal metabolic burn of 1200kcal per day eats only 1000kcal per day will she lose weight or gain weight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
basal metabolic rate only applies to populations of people.

individuals it doesn't work.

same as BMI
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

same as BMI
View Quote
Are you kidding me? Do you know what the BMR is? It isnt a general average over populations, it is the specific rate at which each mammal burns calories at rest.

Some people have real health conditions that make it harder to lose weight. Hormonal imbalances, genetic issues, metabolic syndromes, all of these might lower the rate at which you burn calories. None of these cause you to absorb calories from the air. None of these will cause you to gain weight if you eat a deficit of calories. None of these will stop you from losing weight if you eat at a deficit of calories.

Any ideas to the contrary is simply fat logic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you kidding me? Do you know what the BMR is? It isnt a general average over populations it is the specific rate at which each mammal burns calories at rest.

Some people have real health conditions that make it harder to lose weight. Hormonal imbalances, genetic issues, metabolic syndromes, all of these might lower the rate at which you burn calories. None of these cause you to absorb calories from the air. None of these will cause you to gain weight if you eat a deficit of calories. None of these will stop you from losing weight if you eat at a deficit of calories.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

same as BMI
Are you kidding me? Do you know what the BMR is? It isnt a general average over populations it is the specific rate at which each mammal burns calories at rest.

wouldn't that also depends on the type of calorie?

Is your BMR based on a day's worth of food? a weeks worth of food? a month?

What your explanation on how the enzymes for fat mobilization shuts down while in keto regarding the GLUT4 transporter?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

same as BMI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same as BMI
Yeah but, if the skinnyfat 165lb bonebag with a doritos based diet that has a potbelly is on the chart, they're therefore healthy, it's current year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a self-professed expert on health and nutrition...and as a life-long athlete, please explain the bold. Please feel free to use big sciency words.

Just know, your knowledge is ground breaking and will revolutionize the entire field of science.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What your explanation on how the enzymes for fat mobilization shuts down while in keto regarding the GLUT4 transporter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is there a calorie that's worth more than a calorie?

Daily BMR call it 1200, weekly call it 8400, monthly call it 36000. Does it really matter? The point is in vs out. If you burn 1000 and eat 800 you will lose weight. If you burn 1500 and eat 1200 you will lose weight. If you burn 2000 and eat 1800 your will lose weight. No medical condition will add calories from thin air.

Does that process pull calories out of the air? I'm familiar with the basics of metabolism and a ketogenic diet. I'm familiar with insulin response when in ketosis. I dont ever remember a chemical process that makes you gain weight when on a calorie deficit.

Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Um... Yah. Protien is anabolic. Soda spikes insulin. Bacon is of the Lord. Don't you see?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same as BMI

Fat people and those that make money off of fat people try to make it more complicated than it is. They have reasons based on their feels.

FACT: Energy can neither be created, nor destroyed.

As such, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body will feed upon itself for energy...using fat and muscle tissue.

Definition of variables:
Calories(in) = whatever you put in your body with a caloric value
Calories(work) = anything that your body does to expend calories (body functions to exercise)
Calories(fat storage) = self-explanatory

Formulas:
Calories(in)  weight loss

Calories(in) > Calories(work) + Calories(heat) + Calories(fat storage) => weight gain

The aforementioned groups like to over complicate this to a) excuse their fatness, or b) make money.

It is important to note that each human is different. How their body processes food*, how many calories they need, etc is not consistent at the individual level, so what works numbers wise for one, might not work for another. This is why it is imperative to measure ALL calories that one consumes...including licking your SO's lips after he eats a cookie. And then you must monitor and check/adjust based on results. One size does NOT fit all.

Compound this with the fact that the bio-availability of calories varies based on the type of food. To put it simply (pun intended) - simple carbs = bad, complex carbs, fat, protein = good.

*Hormone issues/metabolic disorders, illness, age, sex, physical condition, etc all affect how the body processes food. Some of these factors can severely hamper the body's ability to effectively use calories from some food sources. If you are trying to lose fat and/or gain muscle, it would be wise to seek more education on these matters.

IN ZERO INSTANCES WILL THE HUMAN BODY GAIN WEIGHT IN A CALORIC DEFICIT. Again, monitor results and then check/adjust.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Losing significant body fat takes a lot of time and hard work. It isn't how long it takes to solve the problem that matters. It is how long after identifying the problem that it persists without putting in some of that hard work to correct it that matters. Of course that also means putting on the big boy pants and talking about it and supporting her along the way.

Some of you religious folk sure are smug and judgmental. Isn't that supposed to be one of your sins or something? Judge not lest ye be judged? Besides, not everyone says a bunch of nonsense before getting married so that they can have sex with the approval of a church or a cloud ghost. Most of us aren't locked into religious pacts that we made when we were stupid in our 20s. The juice is either worth the squeeze or it isn't. Life is too short to waste with someone you don't want to be with over a silly contract.
View Quote
ITT we learn what your word is worth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unfortunately there's a lot of factors and I do not know the answer.  This is my personal experience and I am under the direction of my doctor.  I am prediabetic.  I have been maintaining a calorie intake of about 1000 calories a day for the past 3 weeks.  I eat a 55 % protein/40% fat/ 5% carb ratio.  I am not in Ketosis and never have been.  My doctor believes it's because my body is stressed due to too low of calories which causes my body to burn protein as glucose.  My blood sugar level is fasting 125 and 225 an hour after eating (averages.)

So if you just take my personal experience you can see there is a lot of factors.  What I can say is that I am very smart when it comes to nutrition.  I minored in graduate school in health and nutrition.  I was an athlete my entire life so I have a very strong willpower and perseverance. I do not cheat and I am religious at weighing and writing my diet down.

Most women are not as strong in this category as I am.  Today I sat through 8 hours of boring lectures with a plate of fudge next to me with a basket of Hershey miniatures and I did not waiver--even with my co-workers encouraging me.  I'm saying to men on here that losing weight for women is very difficult.  Our bodies are designed to hold fat in - not lose it.  There is temptation every where and the majority of people (including most likely you) are enabling bad habits. Your wife needs your love, support, compassion and help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there's a lot of factors and I do not know the answer.  This is my personal experience and I am under the direction of my doctor.  I am prediabetic.  I have been maintaining a calorie intake of about 1000 calories a day for the past 3 weeks.  I eat a 55 % protein/40% fat/ 5% carb ratio.  I am not in Ketosis and never have been.  My doctor believes it's because my body is stressed due to too low of calories which causes my body to burn protein as glucose.  My blood sugar level is fasting 125 and 225 an hour after eating (averages.)

So if you just take my personal experience you can see there is a lot of factors.  What I can say is that I am very smart when it comes to nutrition.  I minored in graduate school in health and nutrition.  I was an athlete my entire life so I have a very strong willpower and perseverance. I do not cheat and I am religious at weighing and writing my diet down.

Most women are not as strong in this category as I am.  Today I sat through 8 hours of boring lectures with a plate of fudge next to me with a basket of Hershey miniatures and I did not waiver--even with my co-workers encouraging me.  I'm saying to men on here that losing weight for women is very difficult.  Our bodies are designed to hold fat in - not lose it.  There is temptation every where and the majority of people (including most likely you) are enabling bad habits. Your wife needs your love, support, compassion and help.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only answer is , Yes they will lose weight.

My wife has my love, support and compassion. She is also very fit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#35]
OP must look like a combination of Hurcules and Adonis.  I wonder what his BMI is?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As was I until I turned 50.  It's been an uphill battle every since.  Mind you I'm 6' tall with a 38 DD cup.  I was a runner so I never worried about gaining weight until menopause.  Now I can't run (I can barely walk) and my body doesn't want to let go of the weight.  I'm glad though that your wife has your support.  Being supportive also means unconditional love.  I'm not advocating enabling someone on my 600# life but working out a plan, cutting back yourself on junk food, going for walks as a team.  Encouraging counseling, visits to an endocrinologist if need be.  Taking an active role.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No science, just feels and more statements on how smart you are and what you minored in.

But following a 1000 cal/day diet as an overweight, prediabetic 50+ 6' female.

Are you trolling?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:02:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As was I until I turned 50.  It's been an uphill battle every since.  Mind you I'm 6' tall with a 38 DD cup.  I was a runner so I never worried about gaining weight until menopause.  Now I can't run (I can barely walk) and my body doesn't want to let go of the weight.  I'm glad though that your wife has your support.  Being supportive also means unconditional love.  I'm not advocating enabling someone on my 600# life but working out a plan, cutting back yourself on junk food, going for walks as a team.  Encouraging counseling, visits to an endocrinologist if need be.  Taking an active role.
View Quote
Wow. I didn't know you weren't moving around well. I remember you being a fit lady. Very sorry your having a ruff time. Keep after doing what you can.

I've had to entirely restructure my exercise, diet, and lifestyle due to injury. I had to throw out my fitness goals because they are not longer acheavable, and redraw up what I'm able to do, just trying to be better and the best version of myself.

Be encouraged to eat well, and exercise however you can. The last year and a half have been a ruff rollercoaster ride for me. I'm still working towards good health as best I can. I'm not ashamed that I didn't reach milestones that I wanted to. But I'm slowly moving forward. I hope you're able to keep your head up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No science, just feels and more statements on how smart you are and what you minored in.

Are you trolling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you trolling?
Good Lord, what would my motive be?  No, I'm not.  I'm saying there are exceptions to the rule and for women it is very difficult to lose weight.  Are you a troll?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wow. I didn't know you weren't moving around well. I remember you being a fit lady. Very sorry your having a ruff time. Keep after doing what you can.

I've had to entirely restructure my exercise, diet, and lifestyle due to injury. I had to throw out my fitness goals because they are not longer acheavable, and redraw up what I'm able to do, just trying to be better and the best version of myself.

Be encouraged to eat well, and exercise however you can. The last year and a half have been a ruff rollercoaster ride for me. I'm still working towards good health as best I can. I'm not ashamed that I didn't reach milestones that I wanted to. But I'm slowly moving forward. I hope you're able to keep your head up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

u
Thank you!  I was given a handcap permit in June.  this was the wake up call I needed.  I went to a naturalpathic physician and he thought my thyroid was off.  It's been a struggle but we are getting my thyroid under control and my arthritis is 1000% better.  The arthritis in my feet was so bad I had stress fractures in my feet which keep me from walking (more than necessary).  I tried swimming (not fun) and I'm trying to stay active (doing my DDP Yoga!) and it is helping.  I have lost weight but my blood sugar has found its middle finger and I've hit a long plateau.  But I'm not going to quit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Daily BMR call it 1200, weekly call it 8400, monthly call it 36000. Does it really matter? The point is in vs out. If you burn 1000 and eat 800 you will lose weight. If you burn 1500 and eat 1200 you will lose weight. If you burn 2000 and eat 1800 your will lose weight. No medical condition will add calories from thin air.

Does that process pull calories out of the air? I'm familiar with the basics of metabolism and a ketogenic diet. I'm familiar with insulin response when in ketosis. I dont ever remember a chemical process that makes you gain weight when on a calorie deficit.

Please elaborate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please elaborate.
The whole issue with your argument is that BMR is static regardless of what source of energy you are using.

It has been well documented that simply changing a ratios of macros while keeping calories constant will change your weight loss.

It's also shown that when fasting all day and drinking hard liquor, the food you eat is processed differently.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fat people and those that make money off of fat people try to make it more complicated than it is. They have reasons based on their feels.

As such, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, your body will feed upon itself for energy...using fat and muscle tissue.

Definition of variables:
Calories(work) = anything that your body does to expend calories (body functions to exercise)

Formulas:

Calories(in) > Calories(work) + Calories(heat) + Calories(fat storage) => weight gain

The aforementioned groups like to over complicate this to a) excuse their fatness, or b) make money.

It is important to note that each human is different. How their body processes food*, how many calories they need, etc is not consistent at the individual level, so what works numbers wise for one, might not work for another. This is why it is imperative to measure ALL calories that one consumes...including licking your SO's lips after he eats a cookie. And then you must monitor and check/adjust based on results. One size does NOT fit all.

Compound this with the fact that the bio-availability of calories varies based on the type of food. To put it simply (pun intended) - simple carbs = bad, complex carbs, fat, protein = good.

*Hormone issues/metabolic disorders, illness, age, sex, physical condition, etc all affect how the body processes food. Some of these factors can severely hamper the body's ability to effectively use calories from some food sources. If you are trying to lose fat and/or gain muscle, it would be wise to seek more education on these matters.

IN ZERO INSTANCES WILL THE HUMAN BODY GAIN WEIGHT IN A CALORIC DEFICIT. Again, monitor results and then check/adjust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same as BMI

Definition of variables:

Formulas:

2nd law of thermodynamics is important too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:38:43 AM EDT
[#43]
So much for "for better or worse, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health..."
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I too am sorry to hear of your medical issues. I was wondering why you've been absent of late.
I hope a speedy recovery or at least getting things under control.
I miss your "Ask a woman anything" threads.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

8 kids!?!?!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

8 kids!?!?!

Dude's gonna start his own baseball team.

Quoted:
Now I can't run (I can barely walk) and my body doesn't want to let go of the weight.
That sucks.

I guess I'm lucky but my family are pretty much indestructable. Even the alcoholic guys who don't take care of themselves make it to 85+. My grandpa made it to 96.

Of course we all go bald at 20 so there's that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So much for "for better or worse, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health..."
View Quote
Tell that to the guy with the 250lb wife who hit him with an ashtray lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:51:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

same as BMI

Definition of variables:

Formulas:

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I too am sorry to hear of your medical issues. I was wondering why you've been absent of late.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you As soon as my son is done with basketball season I will try to host another!

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That sucks.

I guess I'm lucky but my family are pretty much indestructable. Even the alcoholic guys who don't take care of themselves make it to 85+. My grandpa made it to 96.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

8 kids!?!?!

Quoted:
Now I can't run (I can barely walk) and my body doesn't want to let go of the weight.
That sucks.

I have longevity in my family too.  I guess my thyroid was my problem and it caused my arthritis to barrel out of control.  I am getting better.  It's slow progress but my goal is to be at my ideal weight by my next birthday (8/18).  I have lost 10 pounds so I am losing.  It's just really slow go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good Lord, what would my motive be?  No, I'm not.  I'm saying there are exceptions to the rule and for women it is very difficult to lose weight.  Are you a troll?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You said:

Quoted:
Well the laws of physics do not necessarily apply to a woman's body.
You have repeatedly stated that you are really smart and minored in health and nutrition. I asked for a scientific basis to back up your claims. All you've posted is women are special snowflakes nonsense. Including a horrible diet plan for yourself...who, ironically, is really smart and minored in health and nutrition.

Educate yourself and you will have more success.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top