Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Page 2 is mine
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 1:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  This is probably the best beer that you can get relatively easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yep.  This is probably the best beer that you can get relatively easy.

Yeah that's how I look at it. The best beer you can probably find somewhere locally around the country. It may not be the world's greatest, but you aren't going to buy that off the shelf in a local grocery or package store either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite is Delirium Tremens. It is brewed in Belgium (though not by monks) and similar to the trappist ales I have tried. I will take your recommendation and see if I can get my hands on some of this Spencer Ale locally.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’ve tried “fancy” and “craft” beers before but always just got back to Busch light or other light beer.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes.

Should I not be?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re not drinking it from the bottle are you?

Yes.

Should I not be?

No you shouldn't be drinking good beer from the bottle. Especially Belgian beers. There are a number of very fancy looking glasses for Belgian beers, the shape affects the way you smell the beer while you're taking a sip, the smell in part impacts the flavor. Drinking straight from the bottle cuts off the nose and weakens the taste. It also makes you gassier because part of the gas in the beer is supposed to escape during the pour and the settle.

A tulip glass works for many of the aromatic beers and it really does make a difference.

Also temperature makes a huge difference. People make fun of the "warm beer" that is often served in Europe, but "warm" - actually cool room temperature- beer will have more flavor. A lot of american style macro brew lagers are served as cold as possible, while it is refreshing on a hot day, it also mutes the flavor. Similar to the above drinking it from a bottle.

Try an experiment. Get two of the same beers and open them both. Get a beer glass, rinse it and pour one beer into the glass. While it's settling, drink from the full bottle. Then drink from the glass. You should notice a difference in taste.

Belgians get really particular about their glassware.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No you shouldn't be drinking good beer from the bottle. Especially Belgian beers. There are a number of very fancy looking glasses for Belgian beers, the shape affects the way you smell the beer while you're taking a sip, the smell in part impacts the flavor. Drinking straight from the bottle cuts off the nose and weakens the taste. It also makes you gassier because part of the gas in the beer is supposed to escape during the pour and the settle.

A tulip glass works for many of the aromatic beers and it really does make a difference.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-cznxq08r7/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2781/13460/557408-Libbey-Belgian-Beer-Glass-16-oz-002__40037.1614973366.jpg?c=1

Also temperature makes a huge difference. People make fun of the "warm beer" that is often served in Europe, but "warm" - actually cool room temperature- beer will have more flavor. A lot of american style macro brew lagers are served as cold as possible, while it is refreshing on a hot day, it also mutes the flavor. Similar to the above drinking it from a bottle.

Try an experiment. Get two of the same beers and open them both. Get a beer glass, rinse it and pour one beer into the glass. While it's settling, drink from the full bottle. Then drink from the glass. You should notice a difference in taste.

https://blog.arkieva.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Beer.jpg
View Quote
How the hell do you know which cup to use?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Belgians = best beer.

If you're in a pinch, Fat Tire makes a bottle conditioned Tripel that is carried by a lot of the big grocery stores and gas station chains.  I mean, you're not going to find Delirium or St Bernardus at the CVS, but you might find the Fat Tire...like I said, in a pinch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Easy, they put their name on the side

Actually most brands have their own fancy glass. Default is the tulip or the chalice, but using  any glass is better than just going straight from the bottle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So do they brew in a Trap Haus?
View Quote

It could go 50% either way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That crap is weak. Keep looking for better, Try Samuel Smiths from  England. only been brewing since 1758.  Nut brown Ale, is a good start.
View Quote

Haven't seen it in a while but when I do associate it with body odor masked with patchouli oil.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been wanting to try that.  The same abbey also makes delicious jams, jellies, and preserves.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’ve been wanting to try that.  The same abbey also makes delicious jams, jellies, and preserves.  
View Quote

I would certainly try those. Available online anywhere?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would certainly try those. Available online anywhere?
View Quote

Here you go.  Looks like you can order the Spencer Ale there too.  

https://www.monasterygreetings.com/trappist_preserves
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I highly recommend all the beers from Spencer Brewery. Their Imperial Stout and the Monks Reserve are exceptional. I have the privilege of some occasional vandalism to my vehicle, where when I leave work and enter my car, there is a random case of beer from Spencer Brewery. I guess it pays to feed the right people. Seriously, if you have never tried any of their beer, you should.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Never got into trappist beers.  

I'm a german/czech pils type guy if I'm not drinking bitter from the cask.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell yeah boss. I've had one of those too, it's fantastic. Stands with the best Belgian Trappists beers I've had.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haven't seen it in a while but when I do associate it with body odor masked with patchouli oil.
View Quote

Shakedown Street doesn't have a "shower facility"
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
7, October 2021

First time I have ever agreed with you
View Quote

Lol. OP got this one right
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Driven by Spencer Trappist Brewery many times. They only allow visitors once a year during their open house event. Maybe next year I’ll plan a visit.

If you like Belgians, Brewery Ommegang (Cooperstown,NY) brews some pretty good Belgian style ales.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I opened this thread worried Mt Dew had gotten into the beer game.

kinda relived, kinda disappoint
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Drinking beer is the only thing worth doing in Belgium.
View Quote

Unless you're into chocolate. Too bad there's no public FN factory tour.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking in an F1 race at Spa-Francorchamps was pretty cool too.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait, somebody bought you a gift? On purpose, and for you specifically?
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chimay is so far the best beer I've enjoyed. I'll give that one a try.
View Quote
This. Chimay Red.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had some very good Trappist ales, but to my taste, Spencer isn't one of those.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you thought Chimay was good, give St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 10 a try.  Both are better Belgian quads than Chimay.
View Quote

This man knows of which he speaks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Chimay is so far the best beer I've enjoyed. I'll give that one a try.
View Quote

I have occasionally picked that up.   Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sounds good OP....

I have been drinking beer for a long time and remember my first encounter with Yuengling....hotel in Allentown, PA, just flew in for business and went straight to the bar and ordered a Yuengling on tap....oh my goodness, I was hooked.

So Yuengling is now my favorite, actually prefer Yuengling Light

View Quote

I see Yuengling light stocked mostly in cans.   I rarely buy canned beer.  I seem to pick up the aluminum taste.  

Anyways YL is a nice light summer beer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Credit where it’s due

Not something I would ever buy but was gifted a 4 pack of it. Its easily the best tasting beer I’ve ever had. Apparently there’s only one place in the USA with monks that brew this type of beer here.

Delicious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349123/FA4DA69E-4090-4EAA-9238-5614C975BD12_jpe-2121895.JPG
View Quote

Well, now that you tried it and it's the best tasting beer you've ever had, won't you buy it now?  

Welcome to a new world.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Grabbed some today:
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kreuzberg Klösterbrau
View Quote

Hello fellow traveler.  

I drank at Kreuzberg Klosterbraueri more times than I can count.
Hands down the best beer in the world.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#35]
This guy knows! That's a good night.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread motivated me...

Attachment Attached File

Is there a certain temp that this is best at?
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This thread motivated me...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/PXL_20211009_234252334_MP_jpg-2124222.JPG

Is there a certain temp that this is best at?
View Quote
38 degrees out of a proper glass.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should watch the movie “In Bruges” for some ideas of what to do in Belgium.  There’s the North Sea beaches and the North Sea defenses from WW II. Drinking Belgian beer is great but there is lots to see and do in that country. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]
This is the best I've ever had.  Good luck finding it stateside, it's difficult.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#40]
for Alexander wept,......
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's Trappist ale
View Quote

Ale with a feminine penis that you didn't know was there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-cznxq08r7/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2781/13460/557408-Libbey-Belgian-Beer-Glass-16-oz-002__40037.1614973366.jpg?c=1

https://blog.arkieva.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Beer.jpg
View Quote

As your poster of glasses indicates each brewery has a recommended glass shape for their beer.  Usually if the bar had the beer on tap they had the brewery labeled glass to go along with it.  Each glass also had a fill line indicating the level where glass should be filled with foam above that.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure about the others but Stella calls their cup a Chalice. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#44]
The Trappist monks we had here sold honey.

It was amazing.

Unfortunately they closed down the monastery a few years back.

Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
38 degrees out of a proper glass.  Enjoy!
View Quote

I just looked it up and it is 46.4 - 53.6 F (8-12 C).

https://www.sintbernardus.be/en/brewery/our-beers/stbernardus-abt-12-en
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]
I love this stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I am not much of a beer drinker, but that Kreuzberg Christmas brew is truly some heavenly inspired beer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#48]
The best beer in the world is the Alt Bier at the Domhoff in Speyer, Germany.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#49]
A rogueboss thread... about good beer?  

Am I having a stroke?   I don't smell burnt toast yet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#50]
You beer looks okay.  Belgian trapists are good.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top