BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I would build this if I had an M5

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#2]
@Manic_Moran  He would know far more than I do.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#3]
@WWIIWMD do you much on these?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of the first jumbos......a jumbo is a vehicle mounted drill designed to drill horizontally.  They made the M3 in to two-boom jumbos (two drills)
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The subject of half tracks came up earlier.  I can tell you Uncle Sam must have given those things away to farmers after the war since you used to see them in various states of disrepair dotting the farms around eastern NM as late as the 1980s.  

Farmers did unspeakable things to those poor half tracks before running them into the ground.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend owns this one and he shoots it at Knob Creek. I rode in it last time but next time he said I can be in it when it shoots.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Always thought the Soviet BT serries of light tanks were cool

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Poor girl rusting away and forgotten.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Not necessarily a Stuart, but an M8 Greyhound with a 37mm cannon took out a Tiger I during the Battle of the Bulge.  In the immortal words of Oddball, “you have to shoot them in the ass!”
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Looks to be fairly good shape to me.  Someone is painting it, which helps control the corrosion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
WWII magazine recently had a great article about the Americans kicking Japanese butt with Stuarts before the Bataan death march.  It was apparently the first American tank battle victory in the war, albeit short lived.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not necessarily a Stuart, but an M8 Greyhound with a 37mm cannon took out a Tiger I during the Battle of the Bulge.  In the immortal words of Oddball, “you have to shoot them in the ass!”
View Quote

Reead another account where a Stuart did a "Huanted Tank" number and took out a Tiger 1.  It hit right where the turret met the hull and peened the metal such that the Tiger's turret couldn't be rotated.  Easy fix, but the Stuart won.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll assume you have watched @manicmoron vid on this

Inside the Chieftain's Hatch: M5A1, Part 1.

Tank Chats are good too

Tank Chats #75 M5A1 Stuart | The Tank Museum

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Look for a book called “Brazen Chariots” by Major Robert Crisp. Deals with the British fighting with M3 Stuarts in the African campaign.
View Quote

Came here to post this. It’s probably been 35 years since I last read that. The story of the dude picking up crabs from the silk pajamas stuck with me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

She's standing next to the one item in that photo we've used or owned,
the rest is a mystery to me

suspect modified...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great photo!
Obsolete when new as Scout Cars, IMO the best tank to own/fire as a hobbyist, are nimble to drive, elegant, "light" and affordable at the turn of the century, Sherman's were approaching $50K when these were not much more than a pristine towed 37mm today. The grim part is our bastards won't allow millions of our WWII rounds in South American warehouses reimported, even though we manufactured them. Most 37 owners have to save brass, cast their own rounds and reload.

Hopefully both Coax .30's are live, would really be something. Coax are great reasons to field the rare pre-War/early-War Coax ammo cans with unique color and swivel lid lock intended for tanks.

Friend Steve Preston and his 21 year old assistant were killed firing his Hellcat Tank Destroyer some years ago, 75mm breech failure round overpressure. Steve had sent his M1A1 Flamethrower back with my pal to have it restored after he did my Kincaid. His death gave us all a needed reminder such things aren't the same as firing an 03A3 on the weekend. Be extra cautious when firing someone else's weapons, particularly if they rarely fire it themselves. It's the 'weekender' concerns us most. Make sure they are serious, knowledgeable, deliberate and serious as cancer. A word of care for them we care about. [/b]

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6ZLK2LZ/0/3b713e6b/O/i-6ZLK2LZ.jpg

Good dear Lord, can you imagine going up against a Tiger in that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but the M8 taking out the Tiger is just a war story.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I always liked the Stuarts after reading a comic book that featured a haunted tank when I was a kid.

There's a nice example at the Texas Military Forces Museum in Austin. They also have a Chaffee. Anyone who hasn't been there should plan a visit. Great little museum.

Attachment Attached File

Camo'd El Salvadoran Stuart.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Great photo!
Obsolete when new as Scout Cars, IMO the best tank to own/fire as a hobbyist, are nimble to drive, elegant, "light" and affordable at the turn of the century, Sherman's were approaching $50K when these were not much more than a pristine towed 37mm today. The grim part is our bastards won't allow millions of our WWII rounds in South American warehouses reimported, even though we manufactured them. Most 37 owners have to save brass, cast their own rounds and reload.

Hopefully both Coax .30's are live, would really be something. Coax are great reasons to field the rare pre-War/early-War Coax ammo cans with unique color and swivel lid lock intended for tanks.

Friend Steve Preston and his 21 year old assistant were killed firing his Hellcat Tank Destroyer some years ago, 75mm breech failure round overpressure. Steve had sent his M1A1 Flamethrower back with my pal to have it restored after he did my Kincaid. His death gave us all a needed reminder such things aren't the same as firing an 03A3 on the weekend. Be extra cautious when firing someone else's weapons, particularly if they rarely fire it themselves. It's the 'weekender' concerns us most. Make sure they are serious, knowledgeable, deliberate and serious as cancer. A word of care for them we care about. [/b]

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-QZBfXKQ/0/9fbadc2a/O/i-QZBfXKQ.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JHgg4rk/0/85523e63/O/i-JHgg4rk.jpghttps://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9NnWB4Z/0/a213dd91/O/i-9NnWB4Z.jpg
View Quote
Thank you
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Going aftermost tanks in that took an incredible amount of courage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but the M8 taking out the Tiger is just a war story.
View Quote
I believe you are correct. There was an m8 there and most likely a tank was taken out but there is no idea what the tank was.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Look for a book called "Brazen Chariots" by Major Robert Crisp. Deals with the British fighting with M3 Stuarts in the African campaign.
View Quote
Really good book.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Zaloga is a writer. Maj. Crisp's Brazen Chariots is the only first hand account of tank battles in a M-3 Stuart.  M-3 Stuarts saw a lot of action in the Pacific and in Buna Campaign (New Guinea).  Later USMC Stuart tankers found a novel way to get rid of Japanese infantry hidden in trees. Once one was located and it was safe to approach the coconut tree, the Stuart would push the tree such that it bent (palmetto is very flexible).  Then the tank would reverse and the tree would catapult its occupant while eager Marines would use the flying soldier as a trap target.  It'll be covered in my sniping book.
View Quote

Dad told me a story about a tank being used to shake the palm trees to dislodge Japanese snipers when he was at Peleliu when his unit (81st Infantry) was sent in to back up the Marines.  The unlucky flying sniper in Dad's story had everybody in the area angry and unloading on him after attacking the troops during a chow break.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Dad told me a story about a tank being used to shake the palm trees to dislodge Japanese snipers when he was at Peleliu when his unit (81st Infantry) was sent in to back up the Marines.  The unlucky flying sniper in Dad's story had everybody in the area angry and unloading on him after attacking the troops during a chow break.
View Quote
I'm trying to visualize this and can't stop laughing at the flying Japanese.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm trying to visualize this and can't stop laughing at the flying Japanese.

View Quote

Yeah, me too!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
WWII magazine recently had a great article about the Americans kicking Japanese butt with Stuarts before the Bataan death march.  It was apparently the first American tank battle victory in the war, albeit short lived.
View Quote
This was found there last year. Can only imagine what those guys faced. I saw a picture recently either on reddit on the photo thread here of them getting ready for battle
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Came here to post this. It's probably been 35 years since I last read that. The story of the dude picking up crabs from the silk pajamas stuck with me.
View Quote
Ordered it. By chance if you have an original copy its apparently worth 5-700 dollars according to amazon
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats what Im wondering. Unless they were all killed .
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Well it'a pretty sucky unless you get a low tier only game. Almost all my knowledge about the M5 comes from World of Tanks.

Though I gather that kind of matches real life apparently.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

American Half tracks are stupid easy to maintain to this day.

The lack of universal carriers has always surprised me. They made a ridiculous number of them, but actual examples are pretty rare
View Quote

Dad had a T-16
They are stupid hard to work on due to the engine placement
Fun to drive
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder if the armor on the halftrack was similar to the M5 being that at some point anything could pass through other than mortars and 7.92
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Went to Mr Zipp’s military collection to try to make a deal for his Stuart. It was during the Waco Seige. Drove home without a tank, but wow did he have stories. The trip was worth the stories.  

American Pickers visited

American Pickers: Bonus - G.I. Thrill (Season 19) | History
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Last time I seen Mike Brown (of Group Industries fame) he still had three.

Nice dude to talk with. Loves his Stuarts.
View Quote

He made my MaDeuce. He lost the tanks in court...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#37]
My father in law spent two tours as an M24 driver in Korea.  Said it was fun to drive.  I’ve also seen three M5’s at Knob Creek a couple years ago.  They were shooting the 37mm and the coax guns.  Was pretty cool!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Tracked and wheeled armor is fun until something breaks.
Was driving an M-42 to a parade when the oil main gave way. Shot about 8 gallons of oil straight up. Grabbed the M-578 and tow bar to drag it home. Thank goodness the M-60 never broke down. I doubt the 578 could drag that bastard.
I also had to clean the fuel filter on th M-42 more than once. Had to crawl 10 feet back along the Ammo storage, open the hatch in the firewall which weighed a metric fuck ton while lying in the prone pretzel position. Turn off gas. Unscrew filter spilling gas everywhere. Did I say I was 10 feet deep in a tank covered in gas and praying I didn’t drop a tool and cause a spark? Clean filter crawl back in and repeat the next time!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When to Mr Zipp's military collection to try to make a deal for his Stuart. It was during the Waco Seige. Drove home without a tank, but wow did he have stories. The trip was worth the stories.  

American Pickers visited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kKCsAzORA
View Quote
High heaven.My aunt had a M151 rusting away in the barn. Had been converted to a hog jeep . I wonder if its still there
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#40]
love the m 3 version
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recall reading some stories of M5 equipped Cav/recon units in the ETO being used in frontal attacks that were disasters (which, of course, you aren’t supposed to do, so it should not be surprising that it was a disaster).  Cant remember where I read that tho

Most armies in WWII used their obsolete light tanks for scouting, kinda regardless of how well suited the design was.  I recall standing next to an M5 and thinking how it was surprisingly tall - not what you want for sneaking around, or for stability in rough terrain.

The US Army knew the M5 simply wasn’t up to the task, and therefore got the M24, which was a vast improvement.
View Quote

during WW2 american tanks were not supposed to fight other tanks.That was a job for tank destroyers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was going to post this. I grew up on that comic book.
View Quote

so did I when I was a kid in the 60s.Loved that tank
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#43]
For a superb, first-person account of the Stuarts in action in the Desert War, read Brazen Chariots: A Tank Commander in Operation Crusader by Major Robert Crisp:

An officer with the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, his unit operated Stuart tanks against the Italians and then the Afrika Corps.

I first read that book in grade school and found it was so vividly written that I could see the Desert War in my mind's eye. A great read!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

during WW2 american tanks were not supposed to fight other tanks.That was a job for tank destroyers.
View Quote
Yeah. It is very confusing. I watched the Cheiftans videos on it. While I am thinking about it the stuart had to have also engaged captured french and italian tanks as well .
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yup. They were too heavy for any of the transport aircraft the French had access to - mostly Flying Boxcars and CH-47s - so they had to be brought in this way.

IIRC, most of the M24s ended up being destroyed by their own crews to keep them out of V-M hands. The V-M had no real way to deal with them; they tried recoilless rifles and such, but were rarely successful in actually knocking one out.
View Quote

I think they still had three working at the fall.  probably were short of ammunition and fuel. amazing battle but so much stupid as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ordered it. By chance if you have an original copy its apparently worth 5-700 dollars according to amazon
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/7A681455-6D4C-4106-B588-68A61C15175B_png-1762689.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this. It's probably been 35 years since I last read that. The story of the dude picking up crabs from the silk pajamas stuck with me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/7A681455-6D4C-4106-B588-68A61C15175B_png-1762689.JPG

Holy carp. That was the edition I had! Who would have thought a paperback from the 80’s would cost that much?!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#47]
If they would have taken their Stuart with them, General Custer would have won!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah. It is very confusing. I watched the Cheiftans videos on it. While I am thinking about it the stuart had to have also engaged captured french and italian tanks as well .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Myth #2.
Starting at 8:35 mark.
Myths of American Armor. TankFest Northwest 2015

Killing tanks is part of the infantry support role
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have been doing some reading on the Stuart and its M3 family. I always thought this was a neat tank but info on it in combat is lacking despite it being everywhere. Does anyone know a good place to read about it in a book or documentary . As well as the Stuart I also am interested in the M24 Chaffee. Here is a good link about post war use https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2020/10/18/strange-stuarts-of-brazil/
Pic to start this off
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213498/0B7913B6-2284-48A1-95E4-E065E997EA92_jpe-1761201.JPG

View Quote

Well this is THE M3 documentary.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top