Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
uniparty
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
From my young perception of the time, Perot was pretty similar to Trump in a lot of ways, one that stands out to me was that he was the first time I remember a full on media hit job. Completely rational stuff he would say would be made to sound ridiculous, like his warnings about NAFTA, irrelevant stuff that happened in his businesses would be made to sound like they were of earth shattering importance, like some policy he had against beards or something. Interesting how they were actually more effective then b/c there was no internet to show people they weren't in the minority thinking that Perot was right, and that his ideas weren't absurd, like there was for Trump. Pretty sure w/o the internet Trump wouldn't have won... both times.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
simpler times.  The intelligence industrial complex was still dedicated and focused on the cold war.  Not what it is now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Voted for Perot, thought it was the best choice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No new taxes and Perot.
View Quote

This, vote split and enough Clinton stories hadn’t leaked out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Bush and Clinton family are tighter than most realize.

Remember, the candidates are selected for us before we (use to) elect the winner.  Nowadays we don't even get to do that.
View Quote

When I saw Bush-the-elder look at his watch and yawn with boredom during a debate with Clinton I knew he was handing over the reigns deliberately.  The two-party-two-step is a distracting dance, and the band always gets their cut of the bar take.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He groomed Clinton for the job after Clinton was nice enough to keep the Arkansas state police away from H.W.Bush's cocaine operations in Mena.
View Quote

These allegations are simply too fantastical to be believed!

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He didn’t even try to win re-election. He barely campaigned but didn’t really put any effort into it.

I was a little peeved at the time because I felt that if he didn’t want a second term, he should have admitted it and let someone else take the reigns.

Losing to a serial rapist back when politicians were held to a higher standard (unlike today) was pathetic.
View Quote

If the election had been in 1991 after Desert Storm Bush would have won in a landslide

He was at the height of his power and popularity

It was all down hill from there both domestically and even in foreign policy

He may have underestimated both Clinton and Perot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
uniparty
View Quote

Yup.  Wallace had the audacity to remark that in 1968. He got borked before Borking was done to Michael Jackson, back when pedophiles were still reviled.  We’ve succumbed a long way baby.

https://www.saratogian.com/2023/05/19/thomas-not-a-dimes-worth-of-difference/
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw the moment he lost: he couldn't recall the price of a gallon of milk. He didn't understand how cashiers scanned groceries, either.

It made him look disconnected and an elitist - something you didn't want to be in 1992 during a recession.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Clinton fooled a lot of people.

A couple of concrete examples told me in no uncertain terms why Clinton won two terms and survived impeachment:

1.  A lot of so-called conservatives thought Clinton was a good ol' boy, down home country type, and you couldn't convince them otherwise.  One of my dad's friends was read a list of things Clinton did to go against freedom and whatnot, and his reply was, "Well, he's still a good ol' boy.  He's not like other politicians." Holy Fuck.

2.  I was in a hospital waiting room before my turn to visit someone in their room.  There was a TV on tuned to CNN and Clinton came on.  These two older ladies saw him and just cooed, "Isn't he such a GORGEOUS man!" I about puked.

Anyway, after that I knew why Clinton would remain popular and would not only win re-election but also would probably survive any impeachment attempt.  I was right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Perot was in bed with the dems.  He was smart enough to know the end results.
View Quote

Lol....no and you should feel extremely simple
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ross Perot and a saxophone on Carson.

Read my lips, no new taxes and an ambush by Stephanopoulos on Larry King.

It was a snowball effect.

Happy days are here again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfcKQcGg_sM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSn3VuVQH_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkm3QQr6Sgg
View Quote
Did not know he played sax on Carson but how meh was that?
Of course that's Carson's audience.
The sunglass wearing "Heartbreak Hotel" playing hipster on Arsenio Hall got the young vote.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't believe people still think there are two sides in politics.......

It's all a fucking illusion for the stupid taxpayer..
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
30 years ago, different world.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]
When Republican presidents piss of Republican voters, they lose re-election.  News at 11.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Read my lips, no new taxes"
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a big club and they were both in it?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The Swamp traded up.  They knew Slick Willy was even more malleable than Bush.  And they were right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#23]
It was all part of the grand plan.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I think a lot of Reagan voters hated the fact that Bush was his VP. They didn’t like him and his elitist background. They held their noses and voted for Bush in ‘88. Many couldn’t do it a second time.

Absent Perot, I think a lot of Reagan voters would have stayed home.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Clinton was also linked to the CIA.

Spied for them as a student and let them run gun/drugs through Mena.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Same team, alternating power.
View Quote

Yeah, Clinton's turn.
Bush only had to do one term since he was in on JFK getting wacked.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#27]
They flipped a coin before hand.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Perot's "giant sucking sound" speech, which referred to American jobs going to Mexico, resonated with a lot of working Americans. Also, GHWB advocated for China to retain its Most Favored Nation trading status after the Tianenmen Square Massacre. A vote for Perot was a message to the Globalists, or a "none of the above" statement.  DJT is pretty much this era's Perot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Clinton won because he was more corruptible
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
It is all but impossible to fix a presidential election.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
There is only one party.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was misunderstood.

He actually said "Read my lips. Know new taxes."
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I think it was Bono.  After all, he’s so cool.
U2-Phone Call George Bush-Ultraviolet (Washington 16-08-92)
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Perot was clearly the best man for the job

Unfortunately, people still vote the party.
That’s the biggest fu$&ing scam that Americans fall for and that’s why we’re in this mess we’re in now

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bush and the CIA needed Clinton to smuggle all that cocaine into Arkansas.

They owed him a favor, and it didn't really matter which cia puppet was actually warming the chair in the oval office.
View Quote

Bush was director of the CIA before he was vice president.  Like you said Clinton was tied into everything that happened in Mena Arkansa.  There is even a picture of them together at some picnic.  Bush realistically ran the country for 12 years.  Probably got tired of it and handed it off to a lower level CIA stooge Clinton.  Pay attention to the Durham report on the FBI not investigating obvious Clinton campaign crimes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I saw the moment he lost: he couldn't recall the price of a gallon of milk. He didn't understand how cashiers scanned groceries, either.

It made him look disconnected and an elitist - something you didn't want to be in 1992 during a recession.
View Quote

That scanning thing was misrepresented. The scanner could read damaged bar codes, which is why he was acting impressed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#37]
By screwing gun owners who sat at home instead of voting.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Bush was to carry out Reagan's third term but instead turned out to be what many always feared.

Worst decision Reagan ever made was selecting Bush as VP.

Savings and Loan crisis also contributed to making sure Bush was a one term president.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I voted for Perot. Twice.

don't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#40]
It was a lot harder to steal elections prior to electronic voting machines and tallying.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

IIRC , After he said that, The Dems passed a tax hike that bush didn’t veto, and the Dems made out like it was his idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He went then to raise taxes?

IIRC , After he said that, The Dems passed a tax hike that bush didn’t veto, and the Dems made out like it was his idea.

for a CIA man, you would have thought he would have been slicker than that
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
He groomed Clinton for the job after Clinton was nice enough to keep the Arkansas state police away from H.W.Bush's cocaine operations in Mena.
View Quote

Now were getting somewhere, please go on....
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
The CIA could control Clinton with all the dirt they had on him. Bush and Clinton were good for them either way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, he signed into law a raise in taxes. Not being a man of your word should matter.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Me and Bill do have similar taste in women...pasty, dark haired, voluptous women...yes please.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Reagan opened their eyes.  You can't let the electorate choose who leads the country.  Since then it's been steady downhill "progress".  Trump was another elected, not selected candidate.

Now, you can see they're acting like they're behind schedule, maybe four years behind schedule.  That's why everything seems clown world.

View Quote

This seems about right.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, he signed into law a raise in taxes. Not being a man of your word should matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dumb move
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If the election had been in 1991 after Desert Storm Bush would have won in a landslide

He was at the height of his power and popularity

It was all down hill from there both domestically and even in foreign policy

He may have underestimated both Clinton and Perot.
View Quote

He was personally responsible for Desert Storm being necessary in the first place, and plenty of people knew it even if the American people didn't until 15 years later.

Maybe he cut a deal, maybe he grew a conscience.

I think he was pretty much running things after RR got shot, they call it the long goodbye for a reason. There's really no way to square many of the things that happened during the Reagan admin. with Reagan's character.

In any case, 12 years is a long time in American politics and Bush had no charisma.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Ross Perot
After 8 years of Reagan and 4 years of Bush, the people wanted a change
Slick Willie played the saxamaphone and said he felt our pain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Raising taxes is cited, the import ban didn’t help, and Ross Perot.

Honestly, take the fact away that we are gun guys and didn’t like the AWB, Clinton wasn’t a completely horrible President. He ran a balanced budget and the economy was doing well.

No, I don’t like the guy., but we have had worse since.

Perot would have been great, he was a VERY honorable human being and a great American.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top