Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something just occurred to me.  We have become a society of "foodies".  Everything revolves around it.  Everyone is into being their own personal gourmet chef.  You see it in the BBQ/food threads here.  Food consumes a large part of people's lives now.  I may be wrong but I don't remember it being like that as a kid.  You for the most part ate to live, not lived to eat.
View Quote

There's nothing wrong with loving food, it's just eating too much of it that gets people.

I really enjoy making meals, even if they are nothing more than comfort food. Working with basic ingredients to make something delicious is satisfying in a very primal way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Smoking in a McDonalds
View Quote

But they had ashtrays, salt & pepper, and even flowers on the table.  That will never be seen again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The secret is lard.

A buddy owns a restaurant here in my part of TN and anything fired gets fried in good lard. Folks praise that shit all the time.
View Quote

He may use lard, but I worked in a McDonald's back in the day.  For fries, we used beef tallow for everything else we used vegetable oil.  That's why the fries were so good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!
View Quote

Yep, they would bring a tray of fries, drinks & and burgers to the table. Good times
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I did pretty much the same in 2021.  I've gained thirty pounds.  Not really eating more my metabolism just slammed on the brakes.  

I actually COULD be eating more.  Not sure about it.  Sometimes I want to start puffing again just so I could fit into my clothes again.
View Quote
I blew up like a fucking balloon to 270lbs(5"10") after high school(class of '89). I always had a fat gain issue, but getting a DL, car and job and a Sega Genesis, living on my own I sat around like a turd and got fat as fuck.

lol I started smoking and gradually dropped to around 230lbs for a few years then in '99 I hit it hard, got some self hate and discipline and got lean and muscular.
Now I am at the leanest in my life in spite of being much more difficult. I'm at 30.5" at the biggest part of my waist and 160lbs with sub-10% BF(calipers). How did I do it and maintain it for almost 25 years?
Counting calories and adjusting them as needed.

It didn't matter if I took in 60% carbs or 0% or ate in a 8 hour time window or 10 times a day or if I ate nothing but chicken breasts, if I consumed more calories than needed I gained fat.

BTW I quit smoking in '04 but I kept my diet on point so fat gain didn't get away from me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
everyone acting like civilized humans beings not getting into brawls,no one fighting over nuggets and no strange cultural gibberish language heard
and
the fries were amazing

the 80's were awesome
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe Jason Alexander will be up for doing the ad again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1kmVwS4Hw
View Quote

What kind of psycho puts the cheese on the cold side?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Marx and Engels where human trash but they where right about capitalism creating the tools of it's own destruction.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Everybody's eating fast food.  Nobody's obese.

Pizza Hut Training Video 1988

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember having birthday parties at McDonalds in the early to mid 80s.  Ah, the 80s!
View Quote
While my sister and I were cleaning out our parent's house we found the toys and a few other items from my sister's birthday there in the 1980s.  I'm sure some of that stuff is actually worth money to collectors now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Low fat/high sugar diets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?

Low fat/high sugar diets.

I'm pretty sure that's it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No more cigarettes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet everyone was so thin. WTF is going on between then and now to make a large part of the population so fat?

No more cigarettes.

And there you go...

For the youngin's on this board, there was a time in merica' when a large portion of the population smoked. There weren't any "NO SMOKING" sections in public places. Smokers were not ostracized like they are today.

Hell, I did not know what a "Smoke Free Environment" was until I went to a private military school (it was, pardon the pun...very refreshing).

When folks smoke, they eat less. Thus, obesity was not a large problem (again, another pun). However, there were a lot of folks with a smokers hack.

Trade one problem for another.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And there you go...

For the youngin's on this board, there was a time in merica' when a large portion of the population smoked. There weren't any "NO SMOKING" sections in public places. Smokers were not ostracized like they are today.

Hell, I did not know what a "Smoke Free Environment" was until I went to a private military school (it was, pardon the pun...very refreshing).

When folks smoke, they eat less. Thus, obesity was not a large problem (again, another pun). However, there were a lot of folks with a smokers hack.

Trade one problem for another.
View Quote

This, and we are definitely more sedentary too.  When did the auto manufacturers stop installing ash trays in US cars?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Brown with brown trim! Good call, Ronald
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet that food tastes amazing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Before racism and weave fights
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1984 was when Atari was killing the game market. Cable TV was hugely popular. Remote Controlz were common as heck.
View Quote

Lol no. Not even cost to as popular, or as in use, as now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I grew up in the 80s. People ate the same way they do now. I ate junk food whenever I could get it, same for fast food and soda. No one I knew then was a fat pig like most people are today. I'd never heard of type 2 diabetes. I had one teacher that was type 1. At the time I thought that was the only type. Every older person I used to work recently with was type 2. I'm sure the lack of activity and bad diet play a role, but they aren't the only causes. Even lab animals are fatter now. How do you explain that? They eat a strictly controlled diet, so they should be the same weight now as they were years back. I'm about 10 lbs over my weight out of basic training, so I'm not fat and trying to make excuses for my diet. What gets me is even the elementary schools kids are pigs now. We had maybe 1 kid in elementary school that was fat.
View Quote

It’s all the chemicals and other shit that’s in the food.

My grandparents all drank and smoked until their 90’s. Sure, they died of cancer, but in their 90’s.

Now it’s eat “healthy” and so get all sorts of ailments.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No offense but there is no way you can blame the obesity epidemic on "HFCS" or any other food ingredient.  To do so is being intellectually lazy.
View Quote

You absolutely can blame it on HFCS. That’s a provable fact.

It just isn’t the only thing that’s responsible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF! That's Lootie in the white shirt on the left.

Shit has changed
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No more cigarettes.
View Quote
This is actually a fair observation lol. I was much thinner when I smoked.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Internet and smart phones.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe I was 14 when that video was shot.
I'd usually go into McDonald's for hot chocolate and a poutine when it particularly cold outside.

Edit: Just found this

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's funny but my dad was considered fat in those days he was six two-ish and probably 220-225. My uncle use to make fun of him for wearing 38 waist pants. Called him fat boy and stuff.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I still love me a Big Mac.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uno, i have never thought about it, but in the 80’s fat people really stood out. I was 9 in 1980, and in school there was just a couple, and boy did they get hell. I only had one friend growing up that was fat too. Now fat people are basically invisible.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some time in the early 1990s the government started telling people that fat caused heart attacks and that people should avoid it all costs.  "Fat free" became a religion.  People switched to carbs, egg whites, and potato chips made with a fat-free oil called "Olestra" that made people's butts leak.  And they got fat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Before racism and weave fights
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Uno, i have never thought about it, but in the 80’s fat people really stood out. I was 9 in 1980, and in school there was just a couple, and boy did they get hell. I only had one friend growing up that was fat too. Now fat people are basically invisible.
View Quote

Those few people probably actually had a thyroid problem or metabolic disorder and didn't deserve or need criticism.  Nowadays... lots of folks need a big dose of shame and ridicule.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

High Fructose Corn Syrup, for one.  They put that stuff in almost everything.  Plus a general shift to high-carbohydrate foodstuffs.

Lots of seed oils in the food chain now, too.  Some of them are estrogenic, which has various side effects for men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High Fructose Corn Syrup, for one.  They put that stuff in almost everything.  Plus a general shift to high-carbohydrate foodstuffs.

Lots of seed oils in the food chain now, too.  Some of them are estrogenic, which has various side effects for men.

Yep.

HFCS
Seed oils
Growth hormones in meat
Diet sodas - I’m convinced artificial sweeteners screw with appetite and metabolism.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
French fries fried in beef tallow.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Had a mcds across the park in Arlington va 1980s thru 2015

I'd hit that place after school or whenever my stomach siad no to Columbian food

But holy shit that food is so blah now and the prices

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

And smoking.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People are smiling, dressed nice, everyone is calm, no cussing, people are dining inside.
View Quote

40 yrs of brainwashing more sex,drugs,rock n roll, and ultra violence...3rd world invasion...single parent families...
70 million pre born Americans killed since Roe V Wade life is cheaper by the year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]
They're eating at McDonald's, and I bet most of those people are dead now.
Coincidence? I think not.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy shit, made it to page 2 of a McD thread without some ashhole posting the copy pasta. Truly, I'm shocked.
View Quote

iirc, the McChicken didn't exist in 84. I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
lol
Wow you listen to all the chiropractors and dentists and psychologists on youtube don't you. They use their "Dr." to make it seem like they're an expert to the clowns that follow them. In reality they cherry pick or misinterpret studies to support the narrative they are pushing and it gets repeated over and over by those too lazy to question it.

HFCS, sugar, carbs, seed oils and estrogen are not the reason the population is getting fatter. The population has increased it's calorie intake and that is making the population fatter. It is 100% the fault of the fat individual, not the food.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
Wow you listen to all the chiropractors and dentists and psychologists on youtube don't you. They use their "Dr." to make it seem like they're an expert to the clowns that follow them. In reality they cherry pick or misinterpret studies to support the narrative they are pushing and it gets repeated over and over by those too lazy to question it.

HFCS, sugar, carbs, seed oils and estrogen are not the reason the population is getting fatter. The population has increased it's calorie intake and that is making the population fatter. It is 100% the fault of the fat individual, not the food.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I miss farting on the fiberglass bench seats at McD’s from the 80s.

“KraKOW” everyone heard all through the restaurant.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some of the prices back then were .  Of course the food is lower quality now with more fillers, probably one of the reasons so many people are obese.  The 20 piece chicken mccnugget was over $4 in 1984.  Now almost 40 years later it is only $5.  The Apple Pie was $2 in the video and it can still be bought for the same price at times now.  I would take their real chicken nuggets from 40 years ago vs the thin filler based item now call a nugget.
View Quote

The hell you talking about? Mcnuggetz have always been ground up "chicken." They're made by Keystone, you can look it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

Yup. Bad food is a huge reason so many are overweight. Nonsmoking office workers were usually skinny, not anymore.

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Remember getting a $5 booklet of McDonald's gift certificates for Christmas or a birthday?

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

One step further.....

How many remember having "McDonald's orange drink" at your birthday party?

Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I checked the local menu in my city and a 10 piece McNuggets is $6.23. BigMac combo is $11.96.
View Quote

Here a BigMac Medium combo meal is $8.16, you guys get ripped off in California.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

One step further.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One step further.....

I never had or went to a birthday party there but when I was a little kid in the mid-'70s I loved the orange drink.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I never had or went to a birthday party there but when I was a little kid in the mid-'70s I loved the orange drink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One step further.....

You could get a cooler full of orange drink for your party at home.  

If you had this at your party, your shit didn't stink for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One step further.....

Something other than Hi-C?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

used to be wives cooked dinners and fast food was a rare thing now for alot of folks its every other day . guy at work eats tv dinners for lunch everyday and fast food most days he cant cook and wonders why he doesnt feel good
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Since it just popped on my pandora channel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Kroc

Mark Knopfler - Boom, Like That (The Studio Albums 1996-2007)
Mark Knopfler - Boom, Like That (The Studio Albums 1996-2007)
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top