Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just started looking into chip tuning. Dont know much about it.
Says it can give more hp and better mileage. Does it really work or am i gonna F it ?

Who to buy from?
View Quote

Do you have a turbo, or have you modded the engine?  If so, probably very worth it.

If not, your results will be much more modest.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the vehicle. Some of the Ecoboost 150s are getting 100ft/lb or more with tunes.

A lot of the generic tuners are 15-25 though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
2022 Civic Type R here, some bolt on parts and a tune made the car a monster! Definitely worth it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
As was said in post 2 and 3. Depends on the car and tune.

Some cars are already tuned to the near practical max, whereas others leave a lot left on the table.

In fact, some cars are purposely detuned to make way for the higher end model which is literally the same mechanics but with a different oem tune. So if you had the lower end model, you could effectively upgrade to the higher end model performance wise, whereas if you had the higher end model, you would have little or nothing to gain, while potentially introducing some undesirable bugs into the system as even good aftermarket tunes sometimes have flaws.

So, a gigantic it depends.

My car came from the factory pretty maxed out. There's almost nothing I can do to squeeze more performance out of my car without doing something massive like a total engine swap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A turbo vehicle with a custom E-85 tune can be incredible.

Modern GM has so much torque management built in that a tune can make it feel like a huge difference.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It's like 100 horsepower. You need 3 chips. Engine, tranny and turning up the amps on your blinker fluid.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BMW and Audi have factory approved tunes from Dinan and other compnaies that will not void warranty.   Find a tune that is facotry approved.  What car or truck?
View Quote

Laughs in HP tuners.

Honestly if that's your mentality, just buy whatever the hot garbage FUEL MAXIMIZER OVER 9000 OBD port product of the day is from Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Typically forced induction engines see the biggest benefit. I had a tune done on a Silverado I used to own and it definitely made a minor but noticeable difference in performance. I think the modified shift points/firmness was the biggest thing in my particular case.
View Quote

Yeah, I killed two 4L60E transmissions in the nineties changing shift points on stock engines. GM tends to make stuff just well enough to make warranty.

A planetary and torque converter came apart.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can get big gains with bolt ons

I was talking to a guy that had a v6 ranger

He said the cold air intake added +25hp, the throttle body spacer was another 7hp, exhaust was 25hp, he put under drive pulley for another 10hp, then he put on the act tuner for 25hp

I think he said his v6 was making 350hp and he couldn’t keep the tires in the back from lighting up everytime he left the site

He said it was just dangerous in the rain
View Quote

JFC. Is he a counter monkey at Autozone lol?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm considering a tune like that, by a well-established and very reliable company.  Just software, no hardware.

It would cost about $1500.

It would increase my horsepower by 110, and would increase my torque by 160.  
View Quote

95hp and 110 torque cost me $3k in my GL63. It was well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NA, waste of $.

FI, oh yes.
View Quote

Not really.......

You can program some things with the trans, like shift points, firmness, TQ lockup etc.
You can also tune out or limit the TQ management built into a lot of cars, change gear ratios for tires, even add infotainment options not included on that model

As stated depends on the car.  And if you want your warranty I suggest not doing this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm considering a tune like that, by a well-established and very reliable company.  Just software, no hardware.

View Quote

If the company name starts with a M, do it. Seriously, do it now. Night and day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He said the cold air intake added +25hp, the throttle body spacer was another 7hp, exhaust was 25hp, he put under drive pulley for another 10hp, then he put on the act tuner for 25hp

I think he said his v6 was making 350hp and he couldn’t keep the tires in the back from lighting up everytime he left the site

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL, the question, as asked, is about as meaningful as asking "Are accessories for your gun worth it?"

The answers could range from "really bad idea," through "waste of money," to "no brainer."  The OP needs to do a deep dive into the tunes available for his specific model, the reputation of the vendors, etc.  Spend some time on forums dedicated to your car, talk to people who have installed specific mods, and maybe then you'll be in a position to decide.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2016 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.0L turbo.  Sport mode changes it so it will actually pass redline before shifting, nice of Ford to do that out of the box.  Friends got me a custom tune and now it shifts firmer, rev's faster, pulls closer to a V6 off the line.  I love it, and it's just a basic tune from Steeda.

The fully custom one I had for my F150 made such a difference that a friend who had the same year and options rode in it and asked me "what the hell?!?  This is what I wanted my truck to feel like!"  That's when I told him it was custom tuned.  I miss that truck, but it was time for it to go.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Can someone give me an example for what you’d see out of a 3.5L Ecoboost with a customer tune? I’m still I’d we warranty but just curious.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#18]
It really depends on the engine.
I put an aftermarket turbocharger on my roadster and of course the tune made a tremendous difference!
I eventually removed the turbocharger, put a header on the car, and went with a simple ECU tune.
Yeah, it helped but it was minor, mostly just required premium gas for the advanced timing, removed the drive torque control, removed the slow throttle response.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can someone give me an example for what you’d see out of a 3.5L Ecoboost with a customer tune? I’m still I’d we warranty but just curious.
View Quote

@WrightP Depends on how far you want to go but I'm around 470whp on factory turbos with down pipes and mbrp exhaust on mine. I've used both 5 Star tuning and Unleashed, and I prefer Unleashed. Torrie is super solid and will do what it takes to get your truck perfect, calls, texts, nights, weekends, dosent matter.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@WrightP Depends on how far you want to go but I'm around 470whp on factory turbos with down pipes and mbrp exhaust on mine. I've used both 5 Star tuning and Unleashed, and I prefer Unleashed. Torrie is super solid and will do what it takes to get your truck perfect, calls, texts, nights, weekends, dosent matter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Chip tuning? lol.

It depends on the tune and the vehicle. F150’s will benifit from better shifting. A n/a will not benefit as much as a EB or any turbo vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not really.......

You can program some things with the trans, like shift points, firmness, TQ lockup etc.
You can also tune out or limit the TQ management built into a lot of cars, change gear ratios for tires, even add infotainment options not included on that model

As stated depends on the car.  And if you want your warranty I suggest not doing this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NA, waste of $.

FI, oh yes.

Not really.......

Agreed.  

Used HP Tuners on my 2004 Chevy Colorado and my Son's 2006 Colorado. In addition to many of the things you listed above, we were able to turn off the incredibly faulty Passlock system on the trucks. Also used it on our 2004 Corvette.  

Used Cobb Accessport to load a Stage 1 tune on my wife's 2005 Saab 92x (rebadged WRX.) Unlocked about 25hp, ran smoother and got better gas mileage.  I loaded it over a weekend when she was out of town but didn't tell her I had done so.  She drove it to work on the following Monday and upon returning home asked me "What did you do to my 92x?  It drove so much better today!"
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a guy on youtube with a tuned only '21 4x4 crew cab 3.5l that breaks into the 11s in the 1/4.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And the vehicle. It made my 3.8 JK a different vehicle. Actually enjoyable to drive now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the tune.
And the vehicle. It made my 3.8 JK a different vehicle. Actually enjoyable to drive now.

Where can we get one?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#25]
i got one for my new style impala

it DID make a difference
was more responsive, and waaaayyy better shifting points.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Op this is a great tune for your 992.

https://www.m-engineering.us/products/porsche-992-carrera
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I would love to install a supercharger on my 2022 F250 7.3 but filling a 48 gallon tank with 93 octane instead of 87 would be very expensive.

Procharger makes a nice little kit but a whipple would be preferred.  Along with a cam swap would make me smile while stomping on the gas pedal (from gas station to gas station)
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Says it can give more hp and better mileage. Does it really work or am i gonna F it ?

Who to buy from?
View Quote

"chip tuning"?   What car is it?    Most cars are "Flashed" a new tune through the OBD port.

Need more details.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What car and engine?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#30]
I’m wary of tuning new small displacement turbo 4’s. I think a lot of manufacturers have them strung tight to get V-6 performance while meeting CAFE (Fuck the fantasy that is CAFE) numbers.

I’ve got an Alltrack with a 1.8 T4. If it were the GTI 2.0T, I’d be more inclined to do it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Normally aspirated, meaning not turbo charged or super charged; waste of money.

And if it's turbo or supercharge boost tweek, you are taking the engineers margin for reliability.
View Quote

I wouldn't say NA tunes are always a waste of money.  I'll be getting a canned tune from a reputable place once I get my car back together.  For less than $300, cam lower thermostat temp, add a launch control function, get rid of CEL for emissions stuff, slight RPM limit increase, options for more aggressive or linear throttle map.  They claim about 7 HP/TQ increase, which is the best HP/$ for the car.

My car is older with a large aftermarket and motorsport community.  I don't think OP is going to find something like that for his NA Taurus.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Did OP just bail on this thread?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Do these need to be unplugged or removed for states that require inspection/exhaust testing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:30:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Depends on the tune.
View Quote

Depends on the tuner too….
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I did it a few times with turbod vehichles

Noticeable difference in power each time.

Cost me a motor once out of pocket. An ECM another time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Banks derringer (and pedalmonster) on my Ecodiesel Wrangler made a decent improvement. IIRC the derringer added about 60hp and 80tq.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's the thing, you need to view all claims by the tuner with a grain of salt. A car's engine is little more than an explosion machine that works on the principle of chemically attaining the most efficient explosion through the right ratio of air to fuel and mechanically attaining the most/best explosions by flowing air through the engine as efficiently as possible. Anything that a tuner does must necessarily perfect the air:fuel ratio and/or maintain an ideal air:fuel ratio while in light of a greater flow of air than the manufacturer anticipated and/or change when the spark plugs spark. That's it.

So, if someone says that a tune alone is going to net 50 horsepower on a naturally aspirated engine with no mechanical changes, you should immediately wonder how that's possible. In what way did the manufacturer tune the car so imperfectly that they left that much horsepower on the table? It's basically an absurd proposition on a modern vehicle.

Now, if you change mechanical components that increase airflow through the engine, then, sure, suddenly a factory tune may be inadequate, and an aftermarket tune will adjust the amount of fuel injected to work in conjunction with this new-found airflow, and you make a bunch of extra horsepower.

Further, if your car is turboed, many factory ECU's now control the amount of boost the turbo puts out, so a simple tune can make considerably more power precisely because you are increasing airflow through the engine so as to take advantage of the fuel/spark magic of the new tune.

A couple of examples: My naturally aspirated Corvette Z06 gained basically no horse power from a tune alone. But the addition of intake and exhaust plus a tune gained 40 whp. My Turboed Cadilac ATS-V, however, has its turbos regulated by the ECU, and a simple tune will net a 100 whp gain BECAUSE THE TUNE IS ALSO EFFECTIVELY MAKING A MECHANICAL CHANGE THAT RESULTS IN MORE AIRFLOW.

Additionally, an aftermarket tune can adjust other things than an engine's peak horsepower output. Sometimes manufacturers do things like limit the amount of boost a turbo puts out in a particular gear or force traction control to intervene at an undesirable time or force a shift point that is less than ideal. An aftermarket tune can affect these drivability issues, which may or may not have any impact on or anything at all to do with horsepower output. Some tunes also allow you to take advantage of better fuels that are more conducive to making more power.

In short, as with anything, view a manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt, don't claim gains that you haven't measured on a dyno, don't believe your redneck cousin whose truck got a gajillion hp with just a tune, etc.

Before jumping into it, learn how an engine works, what an ideal tune looks like, how it's different from a bad tune, and how your particular vehicle's suite of sensors works to inform the ECU. Then you'll be better equipped to evaluate the claim of a tuner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Until I see a dyno sheet, this is just bench racer car-fudd lore, and you're better than that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

LOL. Yeah, and I bet he has recommended fuel pump replacement for at least 1,000 customers who had an ignition-related failure to start.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#41]
If it’s turbo charged and the tranny and engine are built with enough headroom for it, probably.

You should expect to spend $500-$1000 for something off the shelf. Anything cheaper is a scam.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP realized the plug in chip for his 98 Silverado isnt going to really give him 200hp lol
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who to buy from?
View Quote

Tell me you're an out of touch boomer without saying you're an out of touch boomer.

But to answer your question, it depends.  It depends on your car/engine, what you are doing, and the tuner you are using.

Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The old v6 Ranger barely made 25hp to the wheels and you sure weren't adding any more with an intake. The only reason why it spun the tires is because it lost most of it's rear weight from rust savings.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got a tuner on my car that eliminated afm and top speed limiter. I also have it set to mileage tune
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#46]
My warranty on my 19 F15 3.5EB work truck is/should be up. Guess its time to get a tune
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No. Just been busy.

Quoted:

18 taurus se no emissions. Paid for. Out of warranty. Its not anything more than an a daily driver. More interested in gas mileage than anything

No turbo. I was just wondering if i can get any significant increase in hp and gas mileage.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tell me you're an out of touch boomer without saying you're an out of touch boomer.

But to answer your question, it depends.  It depends on your car/engine, what you are doing, and the tuner you are using.

View Quote

I drive my cars stock and havent ever really cared.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No. Just been busy.

No turbo. I was just wondering if i can get any significant increase in hp and gas mileage.
View Quote

Significant? Not really on either of those points for most modern NA vehicles. Force induction is a different story for hp but I'd also question the mpg claims. About the only things that really see a difference in fuel mileage from tunes are diesels.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

991.2 GTS

3.0 L flat six with twin turbo

View Quote

M Engineering or APR

992 Carrera S sport here.  Your GTS will smoke most anything with the larger turbos after a tune.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top