Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are 77 grain bullets on coyotes compared to 50-55 grain BT?
View Quote
I'd say they do ok

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO the military should have just upgraded the general use ammo to 70+ grain bullets at 5.56 pressures and rolled with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

See thread linked below. Beat me to it. It will change your mind on caliber and bullet selection forever.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just move to an intermediate cartridge for game application.   Shooting a Elk or a moose is not a great idea.

See thread linked below. Beat me to it. It will change your mind on caliber and bullet selection forever.

I've culled several dozen deer with 223s and don't like hunting with it unless I'm passing on a lot of marginal shots.

I have no doubt it can be done. I don't think it's a great practice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot 45 to 69gr 223 but never 77. I hear they are great for long distance accuracy. Can they load from a magazine? IIC years ago I was told 77 were too long for that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are about the same price nowadays
View Quote

No, they're not. 55s can be had for ~13c cpr
77s are gonna be 30cpr if you get a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Not tipped just hollow point
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want to make the case that a 130 gr. .357 is an awesome elk round, please carry on.
View Quote

That sounds like a Physical Challenge! They're so cute compared to moose, like a a caribou on Tren

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

False, 70 Gr TSX is best grain. Alas, way more ‘spensive than 77gr.

JMO.

ETA: 62 gr TTSX also rocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
77gr is best grain.

False, 70 Gr TSX is best grain. Alas, way more ‘spensive than 77gr.

JMO.

ETA: 62 gr TTSX also rocks.

This.

I love some 77s, but I have seen enough 70gr TSX to be a believer in its terminal performance
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

yeah the TMKs have been gone for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My mistake
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been shooting Black Hill 69gr SMKs for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I'll even settle for 69 gr.

I've been shooting Black Hill 69gr SMKs for years.

IMI stuff has treated me right so far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've shot 45 to 69gr 223 but never 77. I hear they are great for long distance accuracy. Can they load from a magazine? IIC years ago I was told 77 were too long for that.
View Quote

the non tipped 77s will mag load 2.26" pretty easily
TMKs and the tipped hornady ones will need to be set back. Completely different profile

ETA ^ this is ar15 info wrt mags length

my bolt gun has AICS so we go all the way long there
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Heck, you tube has tons of "gel test" vidoes showing how mucb mkre effective the 70+ grain loadings are.
View Quote

Well said!
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose.
View Quote

Let's not oversell a 22 cal, mkay.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can load Hornady 73 ELD-M and Hornady 75 grain BTHP, Sierra and Nosler 77 BTHP, Sierra 77TMK, to mag length.

You generally can't do this with any 80, or with the Hornady 75 ELD-M. I have no clue about Bergers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL

Ummmmm, do you guys not know that AAC/PSA has been selling 77gr TMK's for sometime now?

As I'm posting this, they are in stock.  $16.99 a box ($0.85/rnd).

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-5-56-nato-77-grain-sierra-tmk-20rd-box-ammunition.html

Lots of discussions about this ammo in the Ammunition forum.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LOL

Ummmmm, do you guys not know that AAC/PSA has been selling 77gr TMK's for sometime now?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aac-5-56-nato-77-grain-sierra-tmk-20rd-box-ammunition.html

View Quote

Stop it! If people quit buying that, *maybe* I could snag a box of component bullets.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL

View Quote

We just want the pointy end. Not all the other bits.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stop it! If people quit buying that, *maybe* I could snag a box of component bullets.
View Quote

Just the bullets?  Oh...sorry....dude.
I'm guessing PSA probably has ALL of them now.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose.
View Quote

[/quote

Does fine if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]
77 gr is king, but the 75gr Hornady BTHPs are damn close and a lot cheaper when reloading. 75gr are fine for 3 gun out to 600 yards. For x ring type shooting, 77 all day long.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did.  There are a bunch of disagreements on the 77 applicability for big game.  It's a bad choice for big game.

I gave you the physics of the situation.  I know physics is hard, but take a look.  8 feet of drop at 600 yards, 355 ft. lbs.  Yikes.

No cartridge on the planet "fucks above its class."  It is physically impossible.  All cartridges perform exactly as they are expected to perform based on physics.  Claims like that are precisely why we have ballistics tables.  It separates the men from the boys, as they say.

By comparison, the lowly .30-06 w/100 yard zero with a 165 gr. Rem. AccuTip drops 90", but retains 1075 ft. lbs.  

http://gundata.org/blog/post/30-06-ballistics-chart/

355 ft. lbs. vs. 1075 ft. lbs.  THREE TIMES THE ENERGY at 600 yds.  Huh.  

If you'd like, we can discuss Ballistic Coefficient.  But it involves more physics.
View Quote

Foot pounds and energy don’t kill. Terminal damage does. By your logic a bow and arrow or spear won’t kill a deer because it doesn’t have enough foot pounds to do so. Actually read the thread, not just a few posts.

Funny how you mention BC as that’s leading right into why these projectiles work better than traditional hunting bullets. And yes, as shown multiple, multiple times in that thread. .223 fucks above its class with heavy for caliber, high BC match bullets. There is even a cheat sheet on the top of page one for you if reading isn’t your thing. But the real technical stuff involving BC and bullet construction you’ll actually have to read a bit to find.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've heard several guys on podcast mention that when they shot people with 62 grain they kept going.  77grain dropped them fast.
View Quote

855 drops folks just fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#25]
75’s and 77’s do good work. If it’s a distance thing just step into the 308 AR world. It’s not expensive anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I sent my son at 14 to a sniper class with a 16" Colt and 77 grain with a Vortex 1-6.  He consistently hit steel at 950 yards.
View Quote

Yep, Great stuff. Regardless that is great shooting. He sounds like a natural.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#27]
According to DJ Shipley, it is. He should know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I did.  There are a bunch of disagreements on the 77 applicability for big game.  It's a bad choice for big game.

I gave you the physics of the situation.  I know physics is hard, but take a look.  8 feet of drop at 600 yards, 355 ft. lbs.  Yikes.

No cartridge on the planet "fucks above its class."  It is physically impossible.  All cartridges perform exactly as they are expected to perform based on physics.  Claims like that are precisely why we have ballistics tables.  It separates the men from the boys, as they say.

By comparison, the lowly .30-06 w/100 yard zero with a 165 gr. Rem. AccuTip drops 90", but retains 1075 ft. lbs.  

If you'd like, we can discuss Ballistic Coefficient.  But it involves more physics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the rokslide thread above. It’s bullet selection and design not foot pounds. 77Gr TMK/ELDM fucks above its class.

Why do you think energy matters for killing big game?
Do you think the bullet transfers its energy to the elk, and pushes the life force out the other side or something?

Opening holes up so blood gets where air should be and air gets where blood should be is how things get killed, and energy is a poor predictor for how well a bullet will do that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#29]
It all depends on how far you're shooting, what your precision expectations are, and how much you want to spend.

There's a reason match bullets and ammunition cost more.

If you never intend to shoot past 200 yards and you want tiny groups you can put fast 50-55 grain benchrest bullets into bug-holes.  If you want to ensure you cover out to 300 try Sierra 69s.  If you want to consistently hit man-size targets without lots of work try 73s to 77s.

There's no free lunch.  55 and 62 FMJ Ball will go bang and hit big targets to 300.  You'll have to work harder to hit little targets or not get blown around too much by wind to 400.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do you think the bullet transfers its energy to the elk, and pushes the life force out the other side or something?

Opening holes up so blood gets where air should be and air gets where blood should be is how things get killed, and energy is a poor predictor for how well a bullet will do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the rokslide thread above. It’s bullet selection and design not foot pounds. 77Gr TMK/ELDM fucks above its class.

Energy is a useful predictor of what might happen when bone is encountered. I'm not obsessed with exit wounds but I do appreciate them. I had a very hard time getting exit wounds on 200lbs deer. If they don't strike bone they would get caught by the offside hide.

The tmk is a good bullet but it's also not great from a 20" barrel inside 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/quote

View Quote

Quote fail :)

I'm just saying, it's a .556; let's not make it something it's not (moose killer).

:)
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I guess in some weird contrived scenario, I’d shoot an elk or moose in the throat with a TMK and expect it to perform fine. But that’s really just because it’s easy to kill things in general when they’re shot in the throat, let alone with any rifle round.

It’s also almost the last way I’d prefer to carry out the task of big game hunting too short of just squaring up and fighting the moose lol there are so many better cartridges and projectiles to be selecting from for this that it’s silly to even entertain the hypothetical.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Sticking with 62 grain gold dots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm just saying, it's a .556; let's not make it something it's not (moose killer).

View Quote
It fucking kills moose fine.
Also kills bou,bear,seal and walrus fine.

Just limit on how far and where you shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/quote

Moose, dead by .223
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I have other ARs but the only one I have shot for years is my JP PSC-11 rifle with a 1:8" twist. I reload with REDDING Type S Match Bushing Full Dies on a Dillon press. It hates 55gr. and below. As you go up the scale it gets more and more happy. Shooting 69gr. and 75 gr are impressive but with 77gr. match it truly shines. I can produce .330" groups with it. It really is in a higher class. I have a lot of fun pushing myself to shoot as well as my rifle. The rifle has top charging and side charging systems. A trip to the range and you will never use the top charging system again. It is the most useless thing on my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]

These are what I shoot. I used to buy them Molly coated but they don't make them anymore.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
How are 77 grain bullets on coyotes compared to 50-55 grain BT?
View Quote

Projectile weight is only one piece of that puzzle.  There are a ton of 77gr .224 projectiles.  Some perform well terminally, others may not.  

Velocity (and by default barrel length) is a factor as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#39]
If it's so great how come .mil hasn't completely replaced it over 55gr or 62gr?
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:55:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot a bunch of 77gr SMK handloads today out to 600yards.  They do so much better against the wind and really do extend the range of the cartridge.

I shot 62gr BTHPs out to 600 as well out of a (12”) SBR, by chance both shoot almost the exact same muzzle velocity at 2660fps vs 2664fps.  The difference in sound alone on steel at that distance is something to behold as the 77s just hold velocity so much better.

Not an apples to apples comparison given the different barrel lengths, but I do think it’s interesting to see 2 bullet weights at the same velocity and how the down range performance drops off so quickly with the lighter bullet.  (Ignore the drops as I use a 50yd zero on my 12”)

77gr SMKs.

vs 62gr which shed an extra 300fps by the time they get to 500yards.

That said, the 69gr bullets have been treating me very well lately in some of my other rifles.  There are some slippery projectiles in that range and it’s a bit easier to crank up the velocity.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The 77 gr. Sierra Matchking has 96" (that's 8 feet, gentlemen) of drop at 600 yds w/200 yd. zero, and retains a whopping 355 ft. lbs. of energy.  By comparison, a lightweight 130 gr. bullet from a .357 magnum has 373 ft. lbs. at 100 yds.  If you want to make the case that a 130 gr. .357 is an awesome elk round, please carry on.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/223-remington-77-grain-matchking-trajectory-chart/
View Quote

If you are playing the long-range game you are correct. However, that is not the .223s game. I've been using the.25-06 for deer for 50 years and it has never failed me. I also used the venerable .30-06 with a 200 gr. bullet to bag my moose in Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

They feed just fine. Now if you want to go higher in weight, you might have to shoot single shot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is there someone suggesting that .223/5.56 should be used on Elk at 600 yards?

Why do you keep bringing this up?
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Op never hunts
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#46]
55g for practice and all around range use.
62g soft point bonded core for CQ, ideal with SBR’s.
77g gives  the AR longer legs, makes it effective out to 600 yards.  Really shines in an 18” barrel with 1/8 twist.
M855 is great for trading for any of the three above or for demonstrating shitty accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Idk about a different class. I use 77s in my sbrs though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Pricewise?
I flinch and shake when I see the price on a box of 77 gr.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is there someone suggesting that .223/5.56 should be used on Elk at 600 yards?

Why do you keep bringing this up?
View Quote

On the last page
"77g TMKs will fuck everything up. From paper targets at 600 yards to elk/moose."

He's not saying elk and moose at 600 yards but it is in the same sentence and seems to be implying it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When rounds like the 6.5x55 and 30-06 (30-03) were interdicted they had extremely heavy for caliber bullets.
View Quote

"Interdicted"???  

noun
/'in(t)?r?dik(t)/
an authoritative prohibition.
"an interdict against marriage of those of close kin"

/?in(t)?r'dikt/

prohibit or forbid (something).
"society will never interdict sex"

intercept and prevent the movement of (a prohibited commodity or person).
"the police established roadblocks throughout the country for interdicting drugs"
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top