Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
The potential for it, yeah. It amazes me some of the shit I see people say and do in public with no consideration for the fact that they might get popped in the mouth a few times, or worse... one of the reasons I hate bars and drunks, especially.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
A man can only be considered peaceful if he is capable of violence. You should always be capable and ready to be violent. The older I get, the less capable I become…..but I’m always ready for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I probably already answered. But yes violence is always on the table. It's an automatic invitation to the last party you'll ever attend.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I never sleep anywhere without at least two guns within arm's reach.

If you don't think about violence then you're in for some bad news.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, society is but a thin veneer. Most people have never been in a fight, or expect physical violence to their verbal challenges.

Look at the amount of "what is this world coming to" posts in news/ring/nextdoor comments sections. The world has always been this way, but a majority of people have just sheltered themselves from its reality.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.

But I do everything in my power to avoid people & places that are likely to cause issues.

You’d be amazed how much trouble you can avoid by keeping your mouth shut, MYOB & being home by dark.
View Quote

this is true

but when you can't

best be ready
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate bars and drunks, especially.
View Quote

Without starting another generational hate thread, this is one thing that kind of baffles me about Gen X.

My dad and his friends love to tell stories about drinking and fighting in the 70's and 80's, and they wear those stories of young men being stupid as a badge of honor.

I learned early that the whole bar scene is dumb, and just a good place to get into trouble with someone that is there looking for trouble to begin with.

I barely had the patience for that as a younger guy, and I had friends that would habitually get themselves, or our whole group into a fight for no reason at all, and not a single part of it was endearing in any way.

At this stage in life I'll walk away from anything like that unless it's not an option, and at that point I'm going to cheat to win because I don't like getting hit. I saw a bunch of guys my dad's age get into a bar fight last year....it was the dumbest thing I've ever seen, a bunch of guys pushing 60 clobbering each other because one of them felt slighted by who the hell knows what.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes. I CC and don't talk shit.
View Quote

That is a good combination.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Middle, at least
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Lose the friend. He's a dipshit who runs his mouth and starts shit, completely delusional as to the dangerous nature of his actions and to the nature of life in general. You don't need people like that in your personal life. He'll get you into trouble that you can't get out of.

As for the second guy, again, delusional. Violence is absolutely a possibility in life. There are still people out there to this day that are killing others for the sole reason of "well, he's different than me!"

Me and a coworker got attacked at work by a thief. We ended up just knocking his block off, even though we could've shot him (he tried to use a mallet as a weapon, I carry at work, etc.).
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Dr. William Aprill put it pretty succinctly, and pardon me for being unable to quote him verbatim:

There's a certain subset of society for whom the only way to change their behavior is the violence you can do to them right now.

I have been fortunate to have never met one of those people, but like the good old Boy Scout motto says, be prepared.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
People are easily triggered.
View Quote

Single parenting is causing all sorts of problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I keep my mouth shut, mind my own business, and don't respond to taunts or name callings.   Just because I abhor violence doesn't mean that I'm not very good at violence when required...I just don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Problem is, even if you could win a fist fight, which many here could do, I've seen many videos where the dirt ball opponent covertly has a knife in his hand. The punches you feel in your gut are in reality stab wounds. And next thing you know you is deaded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Is violence always in the back of your mind?
well... when I'm not thinking about Rome...and sometimes they overlap
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm female.

Sadly, the thought that I may become a target of violence has been in my mind since puberty.

View Quote

This date just got awkward
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Things can really escalate quickly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah. I stay out of general nonsense that doesn’t involve me, I maintain a generally good physical fitness level, and if I need to use my firearm I’m mentally prepared to do so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah for sure. I think it's a western thing. How deep do we want to explore here before it gets really weird
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Unfortunately our culture frowns on striking first in self defense.
sometime when confronted by the culture of peace, your getting mobbed and your ONLY chance at survival is to strike first, strike hard, strike fast.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#23]
You're paranoid for pointing out something that actually happened to them is something that could happen?

A LOT of people are very naive and don't realize how fast things can go south and that getting in a fight is a likely consequence of running your mouth at someone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah for sure. I think it's a western thing. How deep do we want to explore here before it gets really weird
View Quote

I think the better question is, how many fingers are we going to use in exploring this topic?
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think the better question is, how many fingers are we going to use in exploring this topic?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How weird do you want to get
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
sometime when confronted by the culture of peace, your getting mobbed and your ONLY chance at survival is to strike first, strike hard, strike fast.
View Quote

Cobra Kai!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Violence isn’t always the best answer, but it’s always an answer.

People have become too soft, too many of them never got punched in the mouth as a kid, they always had the teachers and parents to hide behind, and then came of age with the internet, talking mad shit behind a screen.

They’ve never understood that there are folks out there that do not give a fuck, that will knock their teeth out at the drop of a hat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Codespeak coming in loud and clear .
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

View Quote

They're prey. Yeah, I will never understand folks who think like that. Probably the same kind of folks who say "all life is precious" and defend heinous acts from retribution with the phrase "they're HUMAN BEINGS!!!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is, it's the only answer.
View Quote

Agreed. Be nice but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The potential for it, yeah. It amazes me some of the shit I see people say and do in public with no consideration for the fact that they might get popped in the mouth a few times, or worse... one of the reasons I hate bars and drunks, especially.
View Quote
Always blows my mind.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I've done pretty good by following this sage advice:

Don't go to stupid places to do stupid things with stupid people.

It cuts down on all the pointless bullshit and makes it a lot easier to deal with that last .00001% that might get past if/when it confronts you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#33]
There are two types of thinking, I forget the terms.  In one, a person detects an anomaly they assume their is no danger associated with it and it was a mistake of perception or something else easily explained. Bump in the night? Must have been the neighbors coming home, roll over go back to sleep.

In the other, anomalies are assumed to possibly be dangerous until explained. Bump in the night? Get up and look out the window to confirm it was the neighbor and not a kick at the door.

I've seen people try to link these to political ideology but I think it's far more complicated than that, because everyone defines danger differently but more often than not I'm in the second camp, so yes, the possibility of violence is always present in the back of my mind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep

Head usually on a swivel and assessing/observing too
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a delicate balance of bravado, diplomacy,  and avoidance.
I've been in a bad area getting gas and approached; Yo, you got a cigarette, No I don't smoke, yo lemm'me get 5 dolla off ya.   I ain't got nothing you want, you best move on.
Fuck you punk ass white boy, I knock yo bitch ass out. You're welcome to try, as I pull back my coat to reveal a cocked and locked 1911  appendix carry.
as he looks down and hesitates, looks back at me; you a punk bitch!, Yeah ok, have a nice day.  As he's walking away says Fuck you N***A!

Violence is a way of life in the black community I learned that at an early age. There are two things they respect.
1.strength
2. Violence.
If you appear weak you will become a victim.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've done pretty good by following this sage advice:

Don't go to stupid places to do stupid things with stupid people.

It cuts down on all the pointless bullshit and makes it a lot easier to deal with that last .00001% that might get past if/when it confronts you.
View Quote

I very wise person once told me that... He also told me, "In a gun fight, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying".
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Now that's poetry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am always prepared for violence.

Violence is the gold standard, the reserve that guarantees order. In actuality, it is better than a gold standard, because violence has universal value. Violence transcends the quirks of philosophy, religion, technology and culture. People say that music is a universal language, but a punch in the face hurts the same no matter what language you speak or what kind of music you prefer. If you are trapped in a room with me and I grab a pipe and gesture to strike you with it, no matter who you are, your monkey brain will immediately understand “or else what.”  And thereby, a certain order is achieved.

Jack Donovan

Now that's poetry.

It's an excerpt.

https://www.jack-donovan.com/sowilo/2010/09/11/violence-is-golden/

@arowneragain

ETA: See someone covered it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Fat Thumbs
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree, same here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#40]
The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived.

Be prepared!
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've been in a bad area getting gas and approached; Yo, you got a cigarette, No I don't smoke, yo lemm'me get 5 dolla off ya.   I ain't got nothing you want, you best move on.
Fuck you punk ass white boy, I knock yo bitch ass out. You're welcome to try, as I pull back my coat to reveal a cocked and locked 1911  appendix carry.
as he looks down and hesitates, looks back at me; you a punk bitch!, Yeah ok, have a nice day.  As he's walking away says Fuck you N***A!

Violence is a way of life in the black community I learned that at an early age. There are two things they respect.
1.strength
2. Violence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.strength
2. Violence.
White's culture is so non-violent, it leaves them at a disadvantage when they travel outside of their... comfort zone... so to speak.
They don't generally get violent with people, and they expect people not to get violent with them. Violence just isn't an option in social situations.
This is why they're just victims waiting to happen in certain situations.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you CC and talk shit, you're a liability to yourself and those around you. You can't do both: pick one or the other.

The closest I've ever gotten to talking shit while CCing at this point was when I said the phrase "that's a bullshit policy" to a bar owner because he wouldn't give me the Friday 50-cent chicken wing special. It was five minutes past 12 AM, Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Technically, it's more lower center. Indelible to the hippocampus.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:07:49 PM EDT
[#46]
yep going on a decade in corrections my head is permanently on a swivel, im looking for entry/exit, potential weapons, sizing people up, i keep my mouth shut and avoid everything i can and it has worked so far.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I am quiet, polite, and I avoid confrontation whenever possible, but I always consider what I might need to do in every situation. I’ve seen too much to not think about the potential for violence to come my way. The quote, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet”, has been my policy since I was a young man, I just never heard it put that way until I heard Mattis say it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I tell this story every once in a while...
Two cars on the highway, very early on a Sunday morning. (Perhaps alcohol was involved?) Somehow, the people in the two vehicles end up in a dispute.
Through the use of shouted obscenities and obscene hand gestures, it is mutually agreed upon that the matter will be settled on the side of the road.
The first car veers sharply to the shoulder, stops... and waits.
The second car pulls to the shoulder perhaps 50 feet ahead of the first vehicle, and 5 angry young men pile out.
The young men begin to approach the first vehicle, the occupants of which still have not exited their vehicle.
After letting them close distance, the driver of the first vehicle finally hits the gas, runs down all 5 young men, and drives away.
The moral of the story?
When you fuck with strangers, you have no idea who you're fucking with.
You have no idea what they're willing to do; you have no idea how far they're willing to go.
People being killed over stupid, insignificant, shit is a story as old as the hills.
I'm not saying walk around like a bitch, taking shit from people.
Just understand, once strangers are involved, there's no telling where things will end up.
View Quote

Never get out of the car !
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I got into a disagreement with a friend about a month ago. He mouthed off to a stranger and got attacked. He was very upset and surprised he got attacked. I told him he should mind his own business and keep his mouth shut. There is always the potential for violence. He said i was paranoid and delusional.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a work neighbor. About twenty years ago he was managing a shop a town over. Some crazy guy came in and started making a scene. He told him to leave twice and then said he was calling the police. He didnt even get to the phone. He woke up in the hospital. He said he didnt expect that to happen. I think i said its always a possibilty and he said i was crazy or something.

I deal with the general public every day at work. I dont think im paranoid or scared of the world but if an interaction goes south im always thinking it might get physical. Ive never been the victim of a violent crime.

Neither of these guys carry or own guns and they have no idea i do.

View Quote

OP. This happened to me and a friend somewhere in the USA  but I won't tell you where it happened or indicate where I live because Im too embarrassed and ashamed to put it on my avatar. Thanks for that.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top