THEY ALL ARE.

You do NOT have a choice anymore.

By 2050 gas will be completely gone

So will I.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To start with a volt only has a 40? Mile battery because it's a plug in hybrid, not an ev.

It doesn't matter when it comes to electrical draw.  If you come home plug the car in, take a shower , start the oven and do a load laundry , you now have  a large electric load from your car charger, water heater, oven, dryer and you'd still have an hvac system.   It doesn't matter how long the load lasts, if you have everything drawing at once your going to have issues.

View Quote

If you drive 40 miles a day in a gas car that get's 20 mpg and it has a 15 gallon tank, how many gallons do you need to put in each day to replace what you used in a day?

A. 2 gallons.
B. 15 gallons.

If you drive 40 miles per day in an EV that uses .26kwh per mile and has a 78kwh battery, how many kwh do you need to replace what you used in a day?

A. 10.4 kwh
B. 78 kwh

If you replace 10.4 kwh over 10 hours, how many watts will the charger draw?

A. 1040 watts.
B.  10400 watts.

If you charge at 1040 watts, how many amps are used by the circuit if it was a 120V circuit?

A.  8.7 amps.
B.  100 amps.

If you charge at 1040 watts, how many amps are used by the circuit if it was a 240v circuit?

A.  4.3 amps.
B.  100 amps.

What kind of house does arfcom have that 8.7 amps causes problems, even if the hot water heater, oven, ac, dryer, laundry, dishwasher, run simultaneously all night long?  Why do the hot water heaters, ac's, dryers, laundry, ovens, and dishwashers run continuously in arfcom homes?

Why are lots of people able to charge their EV's at home but arfcom will never be able to do the same thing?

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't know how well those LNG busses and UPS trucks do, but every light duty LNG vehicle I've driven has had trash range.
View Quote
There are very few LNG engines out there. Lots of CNG stuff. Whole different animals, most CNG is spark ignition like a gas motor while LNG is compression ignition like diesel.
LnG has about 90% of the power of diesel with about 85-88% of the fuel efficiency. CNG is closer to 80% of the power of gasoline, but maybe 70% of the efficiency (out of a purpose built engine, converted gas engines are less).
Its not easy to fill CNG like a gas or electric vehicle, but its not super difficult either. LNG takes a lot more care, pressure is a lot higher, its very cold, and leaks are a bit of a concern. Some places make you become certified to fuel with it, but at the very least it takes more training to handle it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you drive 40 miles a day in a gas car that get's 20 mpg and it has a 15 gallon tank, how many gallons do you need to put in each day to replace what you used in a day?

A. 2 gallons.
B. 15 gallons.

If you drive 40 miles per day in an EV that uses .26kwh per mile and has a 78kwh battery, how many kwh do you need to replace what you used in a day?

A. 10.4 kwh
B. 78 kwh

A. 1040 watts.
B.  10400 watts.

If you charge at 1040 watts, how many amps are used by the circuit if it was a 120V circuit?

A.  8.7 amps.
B.  100 amps.

If you charge at 1040 watts, how many amps are used by the circuit if it was a 240v circuit?

A.  4.3 amps.
B.  100 amps.

What kind of house does arfcom have that 8.7 amps causes problems, even if the hot water heater, oven, ac, dryer, laundry, dishwasher, run simultaneously all night long?  Why do the hot water heaters, ac's, dryers, laundry, ovens, and dishwashers run continuously in arfcom homes?

Why are lots of people able to charge their EV's at home but arfcom will never be able to do the same thing?

View Quote

Typical Tesla chargers can draw way more than 9amps, and you'd once again be severely limiting your total charging capacity by limiting it that much. You'd pretty much be forced to drive elsewhere to charge it (lol), or just let the car sit for a day or two if you go anywhere else other than your normal commute.

The simple answer is that those who charge their EV's at home either already purchased a home with beefed up wiring in place or they upgraded it. I don't know anyone who seriously just plugs into a standard wall plug these days.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A. 2 gallons.
B. 15 gallons.

A. 10.4 kwh
B. 78 kwh

A. 1040 watts.
B.  10400 watts.

A.  8.7 amps.
B.  100 amps.

A.  4.3 amps.
B.  100 amps.

View Quote

Your issue is that you assuming that when you plug your car in at home that it will try and charge over 8 hours.

This is not how it works. Chargers are designed  to charge a battery as fast as possible. Not spread that charge out overtime because they have no way of knowing how long you will be plugged in for.

When you get home and  have 2 kinds and a spouse doing what they do you will have the highest load  on your electrical systems. Hvac is working harder than it has all day the vast majority of appliances are only ran when you are at home, which is also peak power consumption hours.  I get home at 630. I go to bed at 11 that gives me 4.5 hours to shower, cook, eat,
Do dishes,laundry, and the ect. The appliances are all running at the same time at some point.

Newer homes that were not built cheaply can power 1 ev. Very few have the capabilities to charge a second. People that can afford a Tesla don’t live in an older home, most have money and a newer home.

Older homes have much less capable electrical systems.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your issue is that you assuming that when you plug your car in at home that it will try and charge over 8 hours.

This is not how it works. Chargers are designed  to charge a battery as fast as possible. Not spread that charge out overtime because they have no way of knowing how long you will be plugged in for.

When you get home and  have 2 kinds and a spouse doing what they do you will have the highest load  on your electrical systems. Hvac is working harder than it has all day the vast majority of appliances are only ran when you are at home, which is also peak power consumption hours.  I get home at 630. I go to bed at 11 that gives me 4.5 hours to shower, cook, eat,
Do dishes,laundry, and the ect. The appliances are all running at the same time at some point.

Newer homes that were not built cheaply can power 1 ev. Very few have the capabilities to charge a second. People that can afford a Tesla don’t live in an older home, most have money and a newer home.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. 2 gallons.
B. 15 gallons.

A. 10.4 kwh
B. 78 kwh

A. 1040 watts.
B.  10400 watts.

A.  8.7 amps.
B.  100 amps.

A.  4.3 amps.
B.  100 amps.

EVs have settings that can change the charging rate. How precisely you can control it depends on the manufacturer. You can also set time delays before it starts charging.

Some EVSEs (the wall unit that connects the car to grid power) have the same functionality.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are very few LNG engines out there. Lots of CNG stuff. Whole different animals, most CNG is spark ignition like a gas motor while LNG is compression ignition like diesel.
LnG has about 90% of the power of diesel with about 85-88% of the fuel efficiency. CNG is closer to 80% of the power of gasoline, but maybe 70% of the efficiency (out of a purpose built engine, converted gas engines are less).
Its not easy to fill CNG like a gas or electric vehicle, but its not super difficult either. LNG takes a lot more care, pressure is a lot higher, its very cold, and leaks are a bit of a concern. Some places make you become certified to fuel with it, but at the very least it takes more training to handle it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how well those LNG busses and UPS trucks do, but every light duty LNG vehicle I've driven has had trash range.

Thanks, the light duty vehicles were CNG then. Terrible range and always smelled of gas.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:05:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What a world.

I don't know how to feel.

I'm just in daze right now.
View Quote

Holy hell your dramatic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Newer homes that were not built cheaply can power 1 ev. Very few have the capabilities to charge a second. People that can afford a Tesla don't live in an older home, most have money and a newer home.

View Quote

Tesla home chargers can be configured for circuit breakers from 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 and 15 amps.  All 240V.  Respectively, max amp draw on those breakers is limited by the charger to 48, 40, 32, 16, 12 amps.

Even with the lowest amp setting, a model S will charge at 11 miles every hour, so it will take under 4 hours to charge that Tesla after a 40 mile commute.  Batteries may not be able to take the charge at that rate if they are close to full.  Then again, if you commute 40 miles a day, you don't need to top it all the way off anyway.

If you don't have the Tesla home charger, you can still plug into a regular 120v outlet and the onboard charger will charge the car off it.

In any case, the charger can be configured to pull no more than 12 amps total, so the car will pull a few more amps than I said, but charge a bit faster, at least until the battery is nearly topped.

Really don't see this being a problem for most situations.

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just a few years ago in Chicago traffic ground to a halt during a snow storm and it never started moving again.  And it stopped because the little bitch eco-cars the leftists are driving couldn't make it with 3 inches of snow on the roads.  So traffic backed up for miles and miles and people were stranded in their cars.  

Will an EV's heater be able to run all night to keep people from freezing to death in their cars, or will the expressways be full of human popsicles by the next morning?

I don't think the EV backers have thought things through.
View Quote

How long can a Tesla keep you warm in winter?

How long can a Tesla keep you warm in winter?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will they make electric motors that starve themselves of oil and create a scrappers paradise behind dealerships, or are we done with that?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They are doing the same thing

THEY ALL ARE.

You do NOT have a choice anymore.

By 2050 gas will be completely gone
View Quote

So will I.

ETA... and will likely be beat many times along the way.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is about how I expected a road trip to go in an EV, just skip around to the charging station parts lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGjUQuXozYc
View Quote

This is worse than trying to return aluminum cans for deposit in those self serve reverse vending machines...
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's not the batteries, it's the production of energy.
https://rumble.com/vhjadl-universal-electric-car-myth-debunked-one-smoldering-tweet-follows-the-math.html

Some guy did the math based on how many miles Americans drive and the goal to have all cars be electric by 2035. He determined we need to build and bring online a one Gigawatt power plant EVERY THREE WEEKS.
View Quote

That's assuming the government allows people to continue driving at current rates.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had a Volt for 4 years. A level 2 charger (240V) could charge it in 4 hours, which was actually nerfed. The Volt only used half of what it could have when connected to 240V. Off of 120V it would take about 8-10 hours... but that's only ~40 miles of range. That's enough to commute for a day for almost 80% of Americans. It's not enough to fully charge something like a Tesla from near flat.... but it's something.

With an L2 charger hitting around 7kW, one could probably get 80-100 miles worth of charge overnight and wouldn't really need beefier wiring. Most people aren't going to drive the full range of an EV every single day and thus won't require large amounts of power every night. Just like most people don't drive a full tank of gas every day and have to stop and fill up every evening. It's much easier and quicker to just plug your car in every night. I figured it added all of 5 seconds to the time it took me to get out of my car and then into my house when I had my Volt. It's so convenient.
View Quote

How much did your electric bill change when you had the EV?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Then nobody will buy their shit and profits will tank. Then they will walk the bullshit back like always.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

15 kwh is still more than the average house uses per day
View Quote

Average house uses 1200 watts. 1200W x 24h = 28.8KWh
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How much did your electric bill change when you had the EV?
View Quote

On average, electricity is about 3-4x cheaper per mile than gas.

The Tesla Model S Plaid, a large sedan with 1000+ AWD horsepower that can beat the Bugatti Chiron in the 1/4 mile and hang with a Porsche 918 at Laguna Seca, costs the same in $ per mile to "fuel" as a car that gets 80 mpg.

This is why ICE is dead. Compare the stats of Audi RS7 to the Model S Plaid... The Audi looks like a joke. As battery prices come down this will become true in all segments.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A. 2 gallons.
B. 15 gallons.

A. 10.4 kwh
B. 78 kwh

A. 1040 watts.
B.  10400 watts.

A.  8.7 amps.
B.  100 amps.

A.  4.3 amps.
B.  100 amps.

You can set your Tesla to charge whenever you want it to. Just push a few buttons and it'll automatically start charging at 1 and run until 5.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

On average, electricity is about 3-4x cheaper per mile than gas.

The Tesla Model S Plaid, a large sedan with 1000+ AWD horsepower that can beat the Bugatti Chiron in the 1/4 mile and hang with a Porsche 918 at Laguna Seca, costs the same in $ per mile to "fuel" as a car that gets 80 mpg.

This is why ICE is dead. Compare the stats of Audi RS7 to the Model S Plaid... The Audi looks like a joke. As battery prices come down this will become true in all segments.
View Quote

I live 30 miles from the nearest Walmart, and 80 miles from the nearest shopping center.

I would consider an EV when it isn't a compromise.  Right now it's a big compromise in a lot of ways.

I want a 4X4 that has a lot of range and is fast to refuel back up to max capacity.  When they can offer that without adding cost or losing cargo space, it might be worth it.

But car prices are crazy right now.  I checked blue book on my 2017 vehicle today.  I put on 6k miles since I bought it used last year.  Paid $27k.  Trade value today is $31k.  I know it isn't magically worth more.  The dollar is just worth a lot less than it was a year ago.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Let me know when I can recharge my EV from 0% to 100% in 5min anywhere in the country.  Until then it’s an urban commuter thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let me know when I can recharge my EV from 0% to 100% in 5min anywhere in the country.  Until then it’s an urban commuter thing.
View Quote

Why would you run it down to 0%? It's statistically unlikely that when your vehicle runs out of range, you'll be within 10 feet or so of a source of refueling.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll consider electric if they can get all of the following right:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins
Towing capacity that won't decrease range
Ability to charge through common house outlet
Costs same as economy car like civic/corolla/elantra
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins
View Quote

Only one of those ICE meets is the full charge in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Next you will say railroads will give up coal fired steam locomotives!

That is just stupid

Batteries will win when they are more cost effective
View Quote
On my branch of the Long Island Railroad they still run diesel trains because we do not have third-rail service and it is too expensive to install. However, we are about to be the first line in the nation to test out standard LIRR electric cars use throughout most of the rest of the system with a battery car attached. That will allow the trains to operate on our branch beyond where the third-rail ends. They may need to install third-rails at the various stations along our branch and at the branch terminus to add charge to the batteries along the way. But it is far cheaper than then tens of millions it would require to electrify the entire branch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins

Right? Thinks towing doesn't decrease range even in a gasser or diesel vehicle? I towed a camper with the '17 Taco I had. It would get 24MPG highway driving all day long... which dropped to about 11.5MPG towing a camper.

People are huge at letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. We're really bad at that on the right.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins
View Quote

I'd be willing to install a 240V home charging station.  But the rest is pretty much where I'm at.

It has to be good for my use case, and the slow charging with hard to find chargers makes it really bad for my purposes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#29]
"Tesla opts for gasoline-powered vehicles for roadside service for its cars in Australia"

Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins

Corollas do cost what Corollas cost.  And you can carry spare gas cans to get 500 mile range.  Can't carry spare batteries.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is worse than trying to return aluminum cans for deposit in those self serve reverse vending machines...
View Quote

It was so ridiculous to watch this guy struggle to charge the damn car, this EV tech on display looks like idiocracy coming to life.  Ironically, we will all be back to horse and buggies after this failed experiment is crammed down our throats lol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Corollas do cost what Corrolas cost.  And you can carry spare gas cans to get 500 mile range.  Can't carry spare batteries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins

Corollas do cost what Corrolas cost.  And you can carry spare gas cans to get 500 mile range.  Can't carry spare batteries.

Tautological statements are tautological. I also didn't address the fact that the list was followed by a blank line, because it contained no content.

Also, what sedan are you driving that you have spare gas cans in it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Tautological statements are tautological. I also didn't address the fact that the list was followed by a blank line, because it contained no content.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range of 500 per charge
Full charge in 10 mins

The point is, IC does meet more than one.  And not everyone drives a sedan.  Why are we tossing out trucks?

Many years ago I worked for a company that installed fleet vehicle upgrades.  We put in a few of those truck bed gas tanks that let you refuel the on board tank from the one in the bed.  It's a huge range extender and it only took up maybe 18 inches of space in the bed.  And as you burn fuel, the truck gets lighter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The point is, IC does meet more than one.  And not everyone drives a sedan.  Why are we tossing out trucks?

Many years ago I worked for a company that installed fleet vehicle upgrades.  We put in a few of those truck bed gas tanks that let you refuel the on board tank from the one in the bed.  It's a huge range extender and it only took up maybe 18 inches of space in the bed.  And as you burn fuel, the truck gets lighter.
View Quote

In commercial applications Ev does have a lot of drawbacks when it comes to moving heavy things.

Yet Hyundai as well as a few other manufacturers with hydrogen commercial vehicles have made some strides but thereIs limited to certain situations.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
this all sounds high and noble until you realize that there isn't enough raw materials to replace every gasoline engine car in the world, or even America, with EV or other types, not even a tenth of them.

Oh, the elites will have their EV cars.  But the vast majority of the population, say 98%, won't own a car at all.  And that's deliberate.

This isn't an attempt at finding alternative energy, this is a camouflaged attempt at mass slavery.  If the common man has no modern transportation, he can be controlled.  But we have to convince the common man to agree to this trick, at least until it's too late to reverse it.
View Quote

There also aren't enough ARs in the world to replace every muzzle loader and Mosin Nagant that third world militias carry.

That doesn't change the fact that the AR is the best military rifle on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
this all sounds high and noble until you realize that there isn't enough raw materials to replace every gasoline engine car in the world, or even America, with EV or other types, not even a tenth of them.
View Quote

not seeing it.

the only thing is the battery materials, everything else is shared with standard cars. not much changes.

"Rare earth metals" doesn't mean what you think it means. they're actually quite abundant, but don't appear as a ore or in vanes like other metals. it just requires more processing but there are plenty of them.

the rest of the materials? well, there's more than enough cars to crush and turn into new cars.

don't get me wrong, I'm not an electric car fan, I make my living with the internal combustion engine, and I know the electric car is gonna bring a sad slow stop to that. I'm simply pointing out the fact, they are coming, and will be here in massive numbers faster than people think, as more are made, they will get better and cheaper. there's no avoiding it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#38]
And China will continue to make gasoline powered vehicles.
Guess which country will win the auto manufacturing wars.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#39]
New Bolt owner here.  So far, we love it.

Great little shopping, visiting the family (locally) going out to eat vehicle.  Take it on a road trip?  No way.

I'll be keeping the Genesis Coupe and 435iX for run on the highways and road trips.

So far (first week) we're getting about 4 miles per kwh on the Bolt.  Dom/Va power is charging us $0.11 per kwh to charge the batteries (if I read the bill right).  And, once Dom/VA power gets the 2 way meter installed our solar cell power system on the roof will make charging it virtually free (since we're paying for the solar cell power system anyway.)

Retired, no place we have to regularly be, it can sit out there under the carport and charge during the day several days of the week.

How dependable will it be?  We'll find out.  How long will it last?  Again, we'll find out.  With an 8 yr. warranty on the electrical/drive components I'm hoping it'll be pretty good.

200 hp and 266 lb/ft. of torque makes it pretty quick stop light to stop light.  Torque is pretty close to the old turbo 4 cylinders in the Genesis Coupes of a few years ago.  And you don't have to wind the engine up to get that hp and torque.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

not seeing it.

the only thing is the battery materials, everything else is shared with standard cars. not much changes.

"Rare earth metals" doesn't mean what you think it means. they're actually quite abundant, but don't appear as a ore or in vanes like other metals. it just requires more processing but there are plenty of them.

the rest of the materials? well, there's more than enough cars to crush and turn into new cars.

don't get me wrong, I'm not an electric car fan, I make my living with the internal combustion engine, and I know the electric car is gonna bring a sad slow stop to that. I'm simply pointing out the fact, they are coming, and will be here in massive numbers faster than people think, as more are made, they will get better and cheaper. there's no avoiding it.
View Quote

No electric cars will never, ever, ever work unless they have 3,000 mile ranges and can recharge in 38 seconds.

Also, putting outlets at parking spaces is literally impossible so they will never work anyway. It's an insurmountable task.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And China will continue to make gasoline powered vehicles.
Guess which country will win the auto manufacturing wars.
View Quote

China is going all-in on EVs
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I just have to say, the can't-do attitude of the modern American baby boomer is something to behold.

Their parents landed people on the moon, and to them installing outlets in parking spaces or building new power plants at a <2% CAGR is literally an insurmountable task.

I guess they think they can just draw down their HELOCs and make foreigners do the hard stuff forever.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No electric cars will never, ever, ever work unless they have 3,000 mile ranges and can recharge in 38 seconds.

Also, putting outlets at parking spaces is literally impossible so they will never work anyway. It's an insurmountable task.
View Quote

everyone is reaching so hard to find the extenuating circumstance where the vehicle won't work, they refuse to accept the fact it already does.

there may be some changes around how travel is done, a chain of coffee shop/chargers off highway at select distances between major cities would be a superb business plan.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#44]
For the life of me I do NOT understand why hybrid vehicles are not the way of the future???

Some gas, some electricity......seems perfect and a self sustaining energy system with a bit of gasoline.

Maybe tweak it and make better batteries eventually but use the gasoline part to charge the batteries.

ETA:  Also, tell me how semi truck haulers will ever adequately handle the travel with 100% electrical vehicles???
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For the life of me I do NOT understand why hybrid vehicles are not the way of the future???

Some gas, some electricity......seems perfect and a self sustaining energy system with a bit of gasoline.
View Quote

Because "just add more batteries" will make more sense as batteries get cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Because "just add more batteries" will make more sense as batteries get cheaper.
View Quote

You are missing the ENTIRE point.......it is a self contained charging system.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#47]
This guy figured something out to make hydrogen work/store it.
https://youtu.be/Ytg23mDd1a4

How the heck are you supposed cross rivers/creeks with an electric car, or offroading for that matter?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Dupe
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, as demand increases, prices will go down?

Interesting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe tweak it and make better batteries eventually but use the gasoline part to charge the batteries.

ETA:  Also, tell me how semi truck haulers will ever adequately handle the travel with 100% electrical vehicles???
View Quote

Because, in reality, if you remove all the hybrid shit and use a smaller more efficient engine,  you get the similar mileage at a reduced cost. IIRC the jetta hybrid only got about 4mpg better in real life over the regular 1.4tsi.

when you factor in the chart with mileage/ mpg the hybrid doesn't make much sense. the only logical next step is total elimination of the gas engine.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top