Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is very unlikely that they hurt the dog.
View Quote

Not intentionally but this is CNP we're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Boy

I drove all the way to the dang post office just to get the same letter that was sitting in my mail box earlier

Thats just about enough to make me go buy a dozer
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Welp got a email back about all this

They told me not to worry about the fence as its fine

Said the shed and my fuckin deck has to go though

What the fuck!

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What the fuck!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/_Map_Snip_230428_153907-2798873.jpg
View Quote

Covered deck?

Just a reminder to double check the actual easement wording before tearing anything apart or moving stuff...
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Covered deck?

Just a reminder to double check the actual easement before tearing anything apart or moving stuff...
View Quote

No its just a raised deck.

I wrote back to this bish asking if they were telling me I had to take down my shed and my deck. This snoody fuckin bish just wrote back "that is correct have a nice day"
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wrote back to this bish asking if they were telling me I had to take down my shed and my deck. This snoody fuckin bish just wrote back "that is correct have a nice day"
View Quote

Looks like part of the stairway for the deck is in the easement.  I'd move the stairs to one side or the other.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking closer at the picture... only the deck stairs go into the easement? If so, they have no say over the deck... worst case scenario, pull out the stairs and close off the deck until they're done.

That seems extra stupid though on their part. Those stairs have a smaller impact on the easement than the fence.

They should have a copy of the easement as well... respond to her asking for a copy of it so that that "you can make adjustments as required to comply with the written easement"
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looking closer at the picture... only the deck stairs go into the easement? If so, they have no say over the deck... worst case scenario, pull out the stairs and close off the deck until they're done.

That seems extra stupid though on their part. Those stairs have a smaller impact on the easement than the fence.

They should have a copy of the easement as well... respond to her asking for a copy of it so that that "you can make adjustments as required to comply with the written easement"
View Quote

Im not gunna lie I went from meh this isnt that big of a deal to pretty fuckin pissed off once they told me the deck had to get fucked. Sure its just part of it but thats just fucking ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't put shit in easements that you don't want to move.  I have a fence in my easement, but I installed it so it can be removed, I have pipes in the ground that slugs on the fence fit into.  I pull some bolts and just lift the fence off in sections.  When they are done I just put it back.

When I built it the neighbors were looking at me like I was crazy.  The is a large service easement, and everyone has a shed and at least one neighbor has pool that it clearly in service area.

You are going to have clear the easement.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

He has the easement. It’s in his closing documents that he signed when he bought the house. Because it was disclosed by the title company and probably discussed before signing anything.

Every house I’ve bought and sold has an easement or 7. It’s not some magic secret.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He has the easement. It’s in his closing documents that he signed when he bought the house. Because it was disclosed by the title company and probably discussed before signing anything.

Every house I’ve bought and sold has an easement or 7. It’s not some magic secret.
View Quote

Depending on how buried the paperwork is, it may be easier to get it from them... also good to know what document they're working off, as sometimes the easements are trued up/changed after line construction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't put shit in easements that you don't want to move.  I have a fence in my easement, but I installed it so it can be removed, I have pipes in the ground that slugs on the fence fit into.  I pull some bolts and just lift the fence off in sections.  When they are done I just put it back.

When I built it the neighbors were looking at me like I was crazy.  The is a large service easement, and everyone has a shed and at least one neighbor has pool that it clearly in service area.

You are going to have clear the easement.
View Quote

Watch me not do shit

I went from willing to work with them and now Im ready to tell them to get fucked

I like my tiny little deck(thats been there since before I bought the place)
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]
when the power lines need work, they need trucks under them... they cant levitate... some Brainiac decide to fence into the easement years ago then everyone followed... you have been mowing someone else's lawn friend.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't get stressed out over this.  Just move the shed and trim the deck (I take it's just the steps?). If they have too do it, it won't be pretty.  From your map the bulk of the deck is outside the easement.

BTW, I declined granting an easement across my land to the power company.  Neighbor got pissed but I was offered no compensation in exchange for some liability.  If a tree on my property fell and interferred with the easement, I'd eat the cleanup.  If the tree fell across the power line and I'd eat the repair.  If the tree fell and caused the power line to fall and start a fire, I'd eat the liabilty.  Of course I declined.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
when the power lines need work, they need trucks under them... they cant levitate... some Brainiac decide to fence into the easement years ago then everyone followed... you have been mowing someone else's lawn friend.
View Quote

You don't know what an easement is.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What the fuck!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161977/_Map_Snip_230428_153907-2798873.jpg
View Quote

That's a big easement for power lines, and it's sure close to your house.  There is a power line easement on the east side of my property and it's like a couple feet wide.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Watch me not do shit

I went from willing to work with them and now Im ready to tell them to get fucked

View Quote

Let us know how that works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
They’re either going to remove it themselves or have it removed and send you the bill. They are allowed access to the easement.

Just move it then move it back. That’s how easements work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's a big easement for power lines, and it's sure close to your house.  There is a power line easement on the east side of my property and it's like a couple feet wide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What the fuck!

Transmission right of ways are much bigger than distribution right of ways.  At first I was not on OP's side, but the last few e-mails have put me on his side.  There's no reason to remove the deck to replace those structures.  While OP is legally in the wrong, that seems ludicrous.  The company I work for would never request something like that.

We have a guy that built an illegal solar field in the right of way and we just worked around it and never said shit even though it's clearly illegal and interfering with the ROW.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They’re either going to remove it themselves or have it removed and send you the bill. They are allowed access to the easement.

View Quote

That's not how it works. They have access to the easement area, hence them saying the fence is fine. He only would be required to remove them (or be billed for the removal) if the easement restricts them from being there. Not all easements restrict it. Some easements have very specific language... I just dealt with one that said structures were allowed as long as they didn't violate the NESC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't get stressed out over this.  Just move the shed and trim the deck (I take it's just the steps?). If they have too do it, it won't be pretty.  From your map the bulk of the deck is outside the easement.

BTW, I declined granting an easement across my land to the power company.  Neighbor got pissed but I was offered no compensation in exchange for some liability.  If a tree on my property fell and interferred with the easement, I'd eat the cleanup.  If the tree fell across the power line and I'd eat the repair.  If the tree fell and caused the power line to fall and start a fire, I'd eat the liabilty.  Of course I declined.
View Quote

WTF kind of easement is that?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I were you I would start to procure various arrowheads, woven basketry, and scatter them liberally in the area.
View Quote

I know a feller who can get you some skulls!
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Have the easement area surveyed as a separate parcel.

Stop paying taxes on easement parcel.

Profit?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's not how it works. They have access to the easement area, hence them saying the fence is fine. He only would be required to remove them (or be billed for the removal) if the easement restricts them from being there. Not all easements restrict it. Some easements have very specific language... I just dealt with one that said structures were allowed as long as they didn't not violate the NESC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how it works. They have access to the easement area, hence them saying the fence is fine. He only would be required to remove them (or be billed for the removal) if the easement restricts them from being there. Not all easements restrict it. Some easements have very specific language... I just dealt with one that said structures were allowed as long as they didn't not violate the NESC.

This is why OP needs to talk to the RoW department and possibly get a survey.

OP needs to redirect his anger. It’s not the poco’s fault he didn’t do his due diligence when buying his house. At this point it is what it is and he’d likely get a more favorable outcome if he played nice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Trust me, you'll do much better playing nice than playing hardball.

I work for a utility, and at the end of the day they will win if you choose to fight them.
View Quote

This

It makes our job much better to helpfully work with customers who are decent than to dick around with assholes. If you are an asshole, we will win.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Covered deck?

Just a reminder to double check the actual easement before tearing anything apart or moving stuff...

That’s almost assuredly some office twat, you need to talk (not email) to the project interface manger and preferably the actual on the ground project engineer too to find out what the fuck they are doing or planning to do. Setting lines in that residential of a neighborhood with no street or alley access is fucking retarded in the first place but talk to somebody else.

Im with you on the fuck them part.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That’s almost assuredly some office twat, you need to talk (not email) to the project interface manger and preferably the actual on the ground project engineer too to find out what the fuck they are doing or planning to do. Setting lines in that residential of a neighborhood with no street or alley access is fucking retarded in the first place but talk to somebody else.

View Quote

Eh, these are existing transmission lines being rebuilt... more than likely a developer came along and bought the property and parceled it out having the line going through peoples back yards..  its fairly common in the burbs
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This

It makes our job much better to helpfully work with customers who are decent than to dick around with assholes. If you are an asshole, we will win.
View Quote

Idk man Im a pretty reasonable person

This is fuckin ridiculous. Especially the portion of the deck to be removed. Thats literally flexing just to be an asshole. The deck is so far removed from their lines. The irony is the fence is fine but is actually in their way

The snoody attitude the bish had emailing me back to have a nice day after telling my back yard to get fucked was a nice touch too
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's not how it works. They have access to the easement area, hence them saying the fence is fine. He only would be required to remove them (or be billed for the removal) if the easement restricts them from being there. Not all easements restrict it. Some easements have very specific language... I just dealt with one that said structures were allowed as long as they didn't violate the NESC.
View Quote

I agree, but if someone wants push it don’t doubt they’re going to say we need access to the entire easement, tough luck.

The person on the phone probably has no idea what the lot looks like or what the scope of work is. I’d be there ready to relocate the shed and assume they aren’t actually trying to move a 60’ wide mining rig through a residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty gay to have a big company send you a letter that tells you to move your shit off your property because it's an encroachment on thier right to do with your property what they want to do while you pay taxes and maintain it for them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Eh, these are existing transmission lines being rebuilt... more than likely a developer came along and bought the property and parceled it out having the line going through peoples back yards..  its fairly common in the burbs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The developer is an asshole.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Looks like part of the stairway for the deck is in the easement.  I'd move the stairs to one side or the other.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are they going to use the easement into his yard where the fence won't effect them but the 3 steps on his deck will?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Im not gunna lie I went from meh this isnt that big of a deal to pretty fuckin pissed off once they told me the deck had to get fucked. Sure its just part of it but thats just fucking ridiculous
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do shit until there's a man with a hard hat on telling you what he needs moved.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

BS. There are fences that run parallel and perpendicular "in" and "across" easements all the time.

Easements are not property lines.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The developer is an asshole.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Idk man Im a pretty reasonable person

This is fuckin ridiculous. Especially the portion of the deck to be removed. Thats literally flexing just to be an asshole. The deck is so far removed from their lines. The irony is the fence is fine but is actually in their way

The snoody attitude the bish had emailing me back to have a nice day after telling my back yard to get fucked was a nice touch too
View Quote

Half reading this thread, half doing other things.

I'm assuming you're dealing with someone in real estate, customer service, stakeholder engagement, whatever they call it.

Your goal is to talk to the field construction coordinator, construction manager, construction supervisor, etc. This is the guy running the job from the utility's point of view. It will likely be a line contractor doing the physical work.

Try to get to him, and ask for a quick meeting to review his needs. Stakeholder engagement is going to say get rid of everything.

He will actually know what equipment will be rolling through, how he will access the right of way, and what he needs from you.

You may get lucky, but he may need that space and he has every right to it. People build some dumb shit on land they aren't legally entitled to build on. As a guy who used to do that role, I was sympathetic and happy to work with the folks who were in your position. But if I need to use our company land, I need to use it

Like I said though, we always prefer to make friends rather than enemies.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How are they going to use the easement into his yard where the fence won't effect them but the 3 steps on his deck will?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn if I know and that really isn't the OP's problem.  The power company rep said the fence was ok but the deck wasn't.  The easement boundary diagram only the deck stairs encroaching on the easement; the deck itself is outside the easement.  Move the stairs and there's no longer an encroachment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Damn if I know and that really isn't the OP's problem.  The power company rep said the fence was ok but the deck wasn't.  The easement boundary diagram only the deck stairs encroaching on the easement; the deck itself is outside the easement.  Move the stairs and there's no longer an encroachment.
View Quote

And second the suggestion to talk (friendly, like) to the boots on the ground before letting some office twat spin you up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Didn’t read the whole thread here. Just the first and last page.

I would move the shed and move it back after they are done.

As far as the deck I would ask them when they are going to have the survey crew out there to mark your property to show you the encroachment.

After the survey crew comes out.  Hopefully it’s only the stairs. It’s easy enough to take the stairs down and relocate them.

Eta. I’m not sure if title insurance may be of some help
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#42]
This gon be real common as power companies have to reconductor the nation’s power lines to handle our brave new electric future.

And now, it’s an EV thread
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This gon be real common as power companies have to reconductor the nation’s power lines to handle our brave new electric future.

And now, it’s an EV thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I still wouldn't move anything until the crew shows up. Just because some bitch over an email said that you need to clear the easement doesn't mean that the people doing the work need it moved. I would prepare for it but in my experience the people doing the work are pretty considerate. You don't even know what they are doing. If they are just pulling new line, they might not even need to get in your back yard.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Love how they declare they get use of the entire easment for their needs.   God forbid they stick to the more middle area of that zone while working the area.    Easement seems damn close to the house with or without the deck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Love how they declare they get use of the entire eseement for their needs.   God forbid they stick tk the more middle area of that zone while working the area.    Easement seems damn close to the house with or without the deck.
View Quote

The easement is not only that size for access, there are a number of reasons.

For one, blowout...which is where the phases bow out due to high winds events. This area has to be kept clear to avoid faults.

Then you have EMF. Sometimes the EMF coming off a transmission line dictates the width of the ROW.

These 3, future growth, etc. There's a million reasons for selecting a particular width for a ROW.

Your hard part will be getting in touch with someone beyond a contract stakeholder engagement chick making $15/hr.

If you can find a way to talk to the supervisor, you're in business with the real answer on what is needed and fair.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Hell this may end up not even being a issue for me since the poles arent right on me. But who really knows just yet. There is another off and down to the right of the pics I posted a ways. That one is going to be a pain in the dick for them to get to.
View Quote

That was my thought.
Assuming they aren't going to be burying 138kV, they'll need to access the poles to replace the poles.
I don't see where they're going to have to touch your property to do that.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That was my thought.
Assuming they aren't going to be burying 138kV, they'll need to access the poles to replace the poles.
I don't see where they're going to have to touch your property to do that.

View Quote

Poles aren't typically replaced in the exact same spot, typically shifted ~10' for minor rebuilds or single pole replacements. If a large section of this is being rebuilt, they will design it from the ground up with new span lengths and pole locations.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Welp let's see where this thread takes us I guess
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Watch me not do shit

View Quote

Lol, make sure to take a video if they remove the easement covering section of the deck with a chain saw as you don’t do shit.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top